Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/weve-reached-a-tipping-point-on-bitcoin-adoption-fidelitys-tom-jessop-says-11617847910

For me the best thing about this article is that it included a related content link that said "China may be using bitcoin against the USbas an economic weapon, warns Peter Thiel"

I use Fidelity so it's a bit disheartening that they have an "invest in crypto" division, but I guess that is just fintech in 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Ccs posted:

morons like Mohrbacher who seem to believe NFTs will replace every form on contract on earth (that guy is still doing drops because he's a true believer.)

I was super bummed when he started announcing NFTs and got super hype about Ethereum. I love the dude's art but crypto is a loving disease.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you're quoting Peter loving Thiel, you might be on the wrong side of things. Just do the opposite of what that fascist says. He is literally the 2010 Hitler.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That guy is literally dracula

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

xtal posted:

If you're quoting Peter loving Thiel, you might be on the wrong side of things. Just do the opposite of what that fascist says. He is literally the 2010 Hitler.

Agreed, nobody should ever support bitcoin mining
https://fortune.com/2019/10/15/what-is-bitcoin-mining-layer1-peter-thiel-crypto-investment/

or be pro-crypto and pro-bitcoin
https://twitter.com/nixonfoundation/status/1379894036060864516?s=20

I'm glad you've finally seen the light

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
not sure if trolling. Thiel is a vulture capitalist, he has arms everywhere. If you hate what he's up to, start with USD: Palantir still runs on it; they're a favored contractor of the government boots y'all love to lick. When you are begging for more regulation, you are asking for more Palantir.

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 8, 2021

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Jose Valasquez posted:

Agreed, nobody should ever support bitcoin mining
https://fortune.com/2019/10/15/what-is-bitcoin-mining-layer1-peter-thiel-crypto-investment/

or be pro-crypto and pro-bitcoin
https://twitter.com/nixonfoundation/status/1379894036060864516?s=20

I'm glad you've finally seen the light

#nixonseminar

I mean what even

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Did Coinbase start as a Magic card exchange, if not then it can't truly be a bitcoin bank.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

busalover posted:

#nixonseminar

I mean what even

Whole lot of Republicans today will gladly tell you "Nixon did nothing wrong" the moment they get one or two cocktails in them. (I mean Christ, one of the presidential campaign managers from 2016 has an honest-to-god back tattoo of Richard Milhous Nixon.) And if you're still a Nixon fan in the year 2021, "I think this thing I like might be a weapon used against the US, but to be clear I still like it, I am still very much pro-thing" sounds about right

xtal posted:

not sure if trolling.

yeah, we're not sure if you are either, you might just be stupid

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

kdrudy posted:

Did Coinbase start as a Magic card exchange, if not then it can't truly be a bitcoin bank.

There's a difference between a Magic card exchange, that facilitates the trade of real actual physical whatevers

And a Magic Online card exchange, that facilitates the trade of electronic pogs in a video game

Reminder that MTGOX was the latter

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

When you are begging for more regulation, you are asking for more Palantir.

Do you know what any of the words you're saying mean?

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

Somfin posted:

Words don't mean things, that's statist talk.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Somfin posted:

yea hes asking you if you want to get your face pushed against the palantir so you stare into the eye of sauron again you nocoiner assed hobbit!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Folks like xtal are inevitably all for getting rid of the state until the exact moment when one of the folks they trusted uses the lack of a state to screw them over, at which point they go screaming and making GBS threads their pants to their fiat currency overlords, because really what they wanted was to have all that power and influence serve them. They didn't want to be free, they wanted to be coddled. They still wanted the global south exploited, but they wanted that exploitation to serve their needs, not to give some of the baubles of that exploitation to the undeserving poors. They don't want to get rid of billionaires, they want to be billionaires.

The master's tools will never dismantle the master's house.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

Folks like xtal are inevitably all for getting rid of the state until the exact moment when one of the folks they trusted uses the lack of a state to screw them over, at which point they go screaming and making GBS threads their pants to their fiat currency overlords, because really what they wanted was to have all that power and influence serve them. They didn't want to be free, they wanted to be coddled. They still wanted the global south exploited, but they wanted that exploitation to serve their needs, not to give some of the baubles of that exploitation to the undeserving poors. They don't want to get rid of billionaires, they want to be billionaires.

The master's tools will never dismantle the master's house.

Extremely strange how I've made that exact same quote here but with the opposite conclusion

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

xtal posted:

Extremely strange how I've made that exact same quote here but with the opposite conclusion

Not really. Projection is a known psychological phenomenon. Go on and enlighten us with your plan for getting justice when someone hacks your blockchain wallet. Or your plan for using your eventual riches to dismantle the social order.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

Please quote yourself doing so, I checked the little ? under your name and couldn't find anything.

Were you posting under an alt at the time?

Also what was your "opposite conclusion?"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

Unfortunately that is forbidden knowledge, but suffice to say they don't use USD since a master's tools will never dismantle a master's house.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Wanting to get rich makes you the master's tools, xtal. The precise currency with which you decide to get rich doesn't matter.

E: also everyone follow his link he got loving bodied

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Might be a good idea to read my posts before making accusations. I don't believe in holding or speculating on bitcoin, never have and never will. It's unethical to try and seek rent from a revolutionary movement.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

xtal posted:

Might be a good idea to read my posts

Nah.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Somfin posted:

E: also everyone follow his link he got loving bodied
"Oh, you want examples of revolutionaries actually using bitcoin? Can't tell you that, classified information, but I assure you those revolutionaries are all here with me, laughing, just out of frame"

xtal posted:

Might be a good idea to read my posts before making accusations. I don't believe in holding or speculating on bitcoin, never have and never will. It's unethical to try and seek rent from a revolutionary movement.
bitcoin, the revolutionary movement that burns a half-ton of carbon for a single transaction and is favored by such revolutionaries as the fascist billionaire vampire who gives speeches on bitcoin in front of the Tricky Dick Fan Club

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Somehow I don't think you read the posts. Or theory to begin with.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

xtal posted:

Somehow I don't think you read the posts. Or theory to begin with.

Are you still here?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Are you still here?

Show yourself coward I will never log off.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

xtal posted:

Show yourself coward I will never log off.

Donate to a charity and prove it or gently caress off

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Donate to a charity and prove it or gently caress off

I already have donated like 3000 dollars in goon fundraisers against racism, one of which I lead myself, but I always like another chance! Just gave my local mutual aid food bank another 40 bucks.

You donated  $40.00 CAD to xxx
----------------------------------------

Donation Details

Date: 
April 8, 2021

Transaction ID: 
Xxx

Purpose: 
Xxx

Reference: 

Donation to: 
Xxx

Donation from: 
Xxx

Donation amount: 
$40.00 CAD

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

I tried reading your posts. You absolutely believe in bitcoin- or crypto more generally- as a currency, you believe that they are somehow separable from the USD with which they were bought on a moral level, and you believe that crypto is compatible with anarchism, purely because you believe that it is decentralised.

Crypto is being allowed to continue because it benefits the state for it to continue. It is not a magic pirate currency that absolves you from the sins of capitalism.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

xtal posted:

I already have donated like 3000 dollars in goon fundraisers against racism, one of which I lead myself, but I always like another chance! Just gave my local mutual aid food bank another 40 bucks.

Screenshot

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Somfin posted:

Crypto is being allowed to continue because it benefits the state for it to continue. It is not a magic pirate currency that absolves you from the sins of capitalism.

I know this is pedantic, but I'd say crypto is being allowed to continue because the state does not care about it much, although in some places it may benefit the state. In the US, the decentralized nature and lack of institutional engagement has allowed crypto to keep chugging along as a quasi-legal scam/scheme, mostly gaining attention if it is being used for money laundering or other financial crimes. If it were to become significant enough for the state to notice it then it would probably not be allowed to continue in its current forum, if it continues at all.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Crypto is allowed to continue in part because it allows the government to do their dirty work. Iran Contra would have been much easier with cryptocurrency. There is reading here to be done about Open Technology Fund and the role of USA gov't In cryptographic protocols. Specifically Tor.

E: wrong acronym

xtal fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 9, 2021

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

xtal posted:

Crypto is allowed to continue in part because it allows the government to do their dirty work. Iran Contra would have been much easier with cryptocurrency. There is reading here to be done about Open Media Foundation and the role of USA gov't In cryptographic protocols. Specifically Tor.

weird how this isnt a screenshot of a charitable donation. Post it or threadban.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know this is pedantic, but I'd say crypto is being allowed to continue because the state does not care about it much, although in some places it may benefit the state. In the US, the decentralized nature and lack of institutional engagement has allowed crypto to keep chugging along as a quasi-legal scam/scheme, mostly gaining attention if it is being used for money laundering or other financial crimes. If it were to become significant enough for the state to notice it then it would probably not be allowed to continue in its current forum, if it continues at all.

There is no chance that crypto is flying under the radar the way it once did. There are headlines about it in major publications. The state has noticed it, the state is absolutely monitoring it, its use in "crimes" that the state actually cares about is minimal, and it is correctly funneling resources away from the poor and into the hands of the wealthy while promising those poor that it will ease their burdens. Why would the state intervene?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

weird how this isnt a screenshot of a charitable donation. Post it or threadban.

I'm not going to doxx myself. I reported security vulnerabilities to ActBlue in the past. Would you like a PM? Or just tell me directly who you want the donation to and I'll tell you their receipt text.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

xtal posted:

I'm not going to doxx myself. I reported security vulnerabilities to ActBlue in the past. Would you like a PM? Or just tell me directly who you want the donation to and I'll tell you their receipt text.

Are you seriously telling me you cant post a donation receipt without doxxing yourself, you are being intentionally obtuse. Next post without proof is a thread ban. Sincerely tired of your poo poo.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The attention on Bitfinix from New York state bodes ill for crypto in general.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I already posted the receipt. I'm not sharing any more detail with you. I am a hacker and cryptographer and I've reported enumeration attacks and IDOR (Insecure Direct Object Reference) to ActBlue. It's easy to look up a person's address given a transaction ID. Again, happy to donate even more money to whoever you want.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
lol keep digging

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Jesus loving christ some people anyway if anyone in the thread wants to post a donation to any charity I got you for a forums upgrade av, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I'm sure producing even more of a paper trail for Iran-Contra by using Cryptocurrency would have made it way easier to sell those arms, lmao.

Also, I donate all my money to The Human Fund.