Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Winged Orpheus posted:

Is wisdom being this familiar with crypto and how stupid the whole sphere is, yet unironically considering throwing 10 grand into it for an impossibly high promised rate of return in the hopes of getting out before they run out of greater fools?

That's like a used Honda Civic. I'm comfortable gambling with that amount of money since my other finances are taken care of. The gamble is "will this 10 grand turn into 0 within 12 months from now" which is why I've been toying with the idea. Nothing is set in stone.

resistentialism posted:

It sort of seemed like you did during the time you tried to rationalize it for the past couple hours. This might be personal growth.

I can barely sit up from this Moderna shot #2 and have time to burn. I prefer to be called an rear end in a top hat for the right things ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If we all followed Knot My President’s example the world would be a better place. His example being dying on a hill for a stupid reason, of course.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

regular brain is looking at 10% annual returns on crypto loans and thinking that's a good deal because you don't realize how risky it is, galaxy brain is looking at 10% returns on crypto loans and thinking that's a good deal in spite of how risky it is

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I’ve died on smaller hills, it’s the internet after all

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Man discovers one weird trick to lower power bill and make free money! Goons hate him!

Winged Orpheus posted:

You have a degree in economics but don't know how taxes work and are too dumb to parse your electric bill properly? Because you're claiming that a 32% undervolt on a single electrical component in your home somehow reduced your electric bill by 39%.

Also, the wager you're making isn't "crypto won't go to 0 in the next year", it's "this particular dodgy looking crypto company with absurd purported returns won't just take my money and vanish into the night". Guess which of these is significantly more likely to happen?

Lol yeah dude. Crypto is going to 0, sure. Any day now . * 10 years later and mass adoption, insitutional investment, 10,000% gains later * Yep any day now.

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 4, 2021

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
Chia just crossed 2 Exabytes of network space...that was fast.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

salt shakeup posted:

Lol yeah dude. Crypto is going to 0, sure. Any day now . * 10 years later and mass adoption, insitutional investment, 10,000% gains later * Yep any day now.

This exact post was sent at some point by one of the people declaring Bernie Madoff a scam.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

salt shakeup posted:

Man discovers one weird trick to lower power bill and make free money! Goons hate him!
Except he doesn't know the weird trick.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
I was going to ask how they're related in any way, and how you envisage crypto as a whole blowing up (if it ever will) then I remembered Dogecoin is 56c lol

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

salt shakeup posted:

I was going to ask how they're related in any way, and how you envisage crypto as a whole blowing up (if it ever will) then I remembered Dogecoin is 56c lol

Then put money into it and gently caress off

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Knot My President! posted:

You'd have more of an impact reducing overall kwh consumption by proselytizing to people you can sway rather than to me who has already established that my net footprint is so low that I don't see it being a problem. This is actually the path I take when people ask me about it. I could burn garbage and keep my lights on 24/7 and it would still be less pollution than what most people generate.

And now you've decided to undo that work by getting into crypto lol

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

salt shakeup posted:

What circles do you run in where crypto has been mass adopted?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Have you heard about blockchain gaming, the thing that will surely sweep through gaming like TF2 hats have taken over League of Legends??? At least that's the last thing salt shakeup was promoting.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Somfin posted:

And now you've decided to undo that work by getting into crypto lol

Nah I meant I make other people avoid mining so I can use their kwh for myself. They feel like they're helping the environment and I feel my bank account get bigger. It's a win-win

kw0134 posted:

Have you heard about blockchain gaming, the thing that will surely sweep through gaming like TF2 hats have taken over League of Legends??? At least that's the last thing salt shakeup was promoting.

A major CS:GO competitive league had a hidden bitcoin miner in their server browser for the longest time

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

kw0134 posted:

Weird how the only folks actually working on blockchain gaming are little indie projects whose other hooks are, universally, "there's loot" and "it uses AR."

You would think, given salt shakeup's understanding of the tech involved, that the big companies would be jumping on this.

Do you think that salt shakeup might be wrong about the tech?

Nah I meant I make other people avoid mining so I can use their kwh for myself. They feel like they're helping the environment and I feel my bank account get bigger. It's a win-win

So, once again, you're undoing the good work you've done elsewhere, on purpose.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

See here if you don't know the backstory. It doesn't seem to have ever been used, sadly.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Somfin posted:

Weird how the only folks actually working on blockchain gaming are little indie projects whose other hooks are, universally, "there's loot" and "it uses AR."

You would think, given salt shakeup's understanding of the tech involved, that the big companies would be jumping on this.

Do you think that salt shakeup might be wrong about the tech?
One might think the only thing salt shakeup knows is the price action of the last six months and fundamentally nothing else! One might call that being an idiot.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Somfin posted:

So, once again, you're undoing the good work you've done elsewhere, on purpose.

If I talk one person out of mining, I'm power-neutral. If I talk two people out, I'm saving the environment. Even Al Gore used a jet to fly around and talk about green programs. Can't make an omelettecoin without hashing a few chains

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

You can always get a +1 on the "people prevented from engaging in the pointless destruction and waste that is all crypto does" by not doing it yourself.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah but feelgood points don't really feel better than $300 per month in my bank account tho

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah but feelgood points don't really feel better than $300 per month in my bank account tho

Yeah they do, that's the point.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Flannelette posted:

Yeah they do, that's the point.

:hmmyes:

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
And once again, someone who claims to be very aware of their personal carbon footprint and lists all the steps they're taking to minimize it is completely willing to throw it all in the trash for a couple hundred bucks a month (until it crashes again/their exchange gets "hacked"/ they gamble on the wrong shitcoin/the difficulty increases)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm sure I could have saved some significant amount of money shopping at Amazon instead of other places over the last couple decades, but not having contributed to the rise of an evil empire feels a lot better.

Personal ethics doesn't have to die at the feet of convenience.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I think "completely" is a bit of a stretch, given that my actions toward ensuring people I meet don't start mining are helping more than I could by simply not making $300/month. I can then take this $300 and transfer it to USD and buy from other sites than Amazon. I'll even donate 5% of my profit to RAINN to make me sex-traffic-neutral

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Helping people get abused and then caring for them after is not neutral.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

You're not really trying to talk them out of it for the environmental benefit are you

You're just trying to add to your chances of a payout

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Somfin posted:

You're not really trying to talk them out of it for the environmental benefit are you

You're just trying to add to your chances of a payout

I didn't even think of the latter but now I have two reasons to do it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think "completely" is a bit of a stretch, given that my actions toward ensuring people I meet don't start mining are helping more than I could by simply not making $300/month. I can then take this $300 and transfer it to USD and buy from other sites than Amazon. I'll even donate 5% of my profit to RAINN to make me sex-traffic-neutral

Or you could just not touch the poop in the first place.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

my actions toward ensuring people I meet don't start mining
what actions are these besides opening your mouth & suddenly having one fewer friend

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

I didn't even think of the latter but now I have two reasons to do it

You're still increasing your contribution to the problem of pollution on purpose even if other actions mean that you're adding to it at a lesser total rate than other people. Your impact is not relative, it is absolute; you don't get points for being below average, you lose them for being below average and deliberately loving that up on purpose; and you are doing all this for no benefit to anyone. When the crypto networks collapse, all of your additional environmental damage will amount to is some deliberately burnt-out hardware.

Shumagorath posted:

what actions are these besides opening your mouth & suddenly having one fewer friend

They tell other people not to do mining because it's bad for the environment, but it's fine for them to do it because they're so good for the environment in other ways it's okay for them to gently caress it up on purpose a little bit as long as they're "getting paid" to do so.

They're not a net negative but they're much lower than average so it's fine.

It's fine.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

drat you sure got me

The "thinking about mining" question comes up a lot more frequently than you'd think

e: it is absolutely absolute 100%-- if I consume 400kwh per month and someone consumes 400kwh per month and wants to start mining and this would jump their consumption to 700kwh per month, and I tell them not to and they listen, then I've saved the environment. it's a net positive. that's factually how it works. except i'm 200-500kwh under the national average monthly consumption so already i'm basically eco jesus and it doesn't matter what i do with my minimal kwh consumption

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 5, 2021

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

drat you sure got me

The "thinking about mining" question comes up a lot more frequently than you'd think

Do you tell them that you're mining and that you're making money off of it? Are you honest with these friends?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Somfin posted:

Do you tell them that you're mining and that you're making money off of it? Are you honest with these friends?

I tell them exactly what everyone in this thread says about mining and crypto. I'm not going to give dishonest advice. I do it because I have a GPU that I bought for gaming and it happens to also be able to net me some money. The market is volatile, crypto is not an investment, they're better off putting their money into something with better returns or not even worrying about it and use that money for something life-improving like the grounds for a new hobby or a memorable trip, it's super inconvenient to build a rig and have it act as a space heater, it's complicated to set up for the vast majority of people, rig parts are hard to get and way more expensive than they have any good reason to be, etc.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

"You shouldn't touch the poop!" I declaim, while gesturing for emphasis with the large turd in my right hand.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

"You shouldn't touch the poop!" I declaim, while gesturing for emphasis with the large turd in my right hand.

The world runs on double standards, I agree

All I can do is offer my two cents to them. And it's not like they can even acquire a GPU to mine anyway, pretty sure they're all in China siphoning power from hydroelectric dams or something

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Coal fired electric plants, yes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

"Poop is bad!" I cry, while grabbing fistfuls from the litter box and stuffing them in my pockets.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Welcome back Seraph!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

The world runs on double standards, I agree

All I can do is offer my two cents to them. And it's not like they can even acquire a GPU to mine anyway, pretty sure they're all in China siphoning power from hydroelectric dams or something

It doesn't loving matter where the electricity is coming from, it's being burnt to make and process bullshit coins and that electricity could have gone to a hospital or to computer networks that fold proteins or anything useful.

You are running your own life on a double standard regarding crypto. I do not do this- I think it's loving stupid and wasteful and harmful, and therefore I don't loving touch it. Don't try to blame the society we live in for your personal, deliberate addition to pollution, you loving weirdo.

E: Ah, dammit, has Seraph gone and purchased someone's old account?