Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Nearly all the arguments made against Bitcoin were made against fiat money when it first emerged and began to take over gold/silver.

Didn’t that involve a government backing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Nearly all the arguments made against Bitcoin were made against fiat money when it first emerged and began to take over gold/silver.

Ok I was legit convinced you weren't a troll poster until this comment.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burt Sexual posted:

Didn’t that involve a government backing?
I think it has its origins with royalty issuing paper IOUs guaranteeing a given amount of gold/silver. Governments and banks came much later.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Double Bill posted:

Still can't tell if he's trolling, convincing brokebrainery at least

He has a borderlands avatar and name so something isn't right upstairs

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Moxxis Endowment posted:

I had no idea fiat money required so much power generation for each transaction.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zelder posted:

He has a borderlands avatar and name so something isn't right upstairs
Possibly the weakest ad-hominem I've ever seen.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Paper money requires me to wait an hour to pay and then send someone a huge fee to do so (which could be a 300% fee for low value products such as a coffee).
The value of paper money changes 20-50% in a day making it impossible to set a correct value to a product I'm selling.
Only a few thousand people can use paper money worldwide at the same time, if too many people want to pay, they have to wait hours or days.
Paper money in my country in North America has a limited supply and is dependent on Chinese farms to mine more of it.
Paper money in my country in North America is backed by a printer owned by an unknown entity in Poland with no oversight or regulation.

Those were the amazing arguments that were made against paper money when it was replacing gold and silver as worldwide currency.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Here's a weaker one: your posts are fake as hell and also you're probably a big dumb fat guy

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

And you poop from your mouth

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
As it is paper money only accounts for 14% of all fiat wealth. It's already mostly digital. The real question is what sort of digital money do we want? Do we want money controlled by corrupt, self-interested central authorities that have demonstrated their ineptitude time and time again?

How many taxpayer dollars have been looted now to keep these banksters afloat? You know how many taxpayer dollars have gone toward bailing out bitcoin? 0.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zelder posted:

Here's a weaker one: your posts are fake as hell and also you're probably a big dumb fat guy
I'm a 114 lb attractive late twenties female with a 142 IQ.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Moxxis Endowment posted:

As it is paper money only accounts for 14% of all fiat wealth. It's already mostly digital. The real question is what sort of digital money do we want? Do we want money controlled by corrupt, self-interested central authorities that have demonstrated their ineptitude time and time again?

I dunno; aren't you the one who is totally, definitely sitting on $1.5 million of the stuff?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Don't you talk poo poo about Mark, sir

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Moxxis Endowment posted:

How many taxpayer dollars have been looted now to keep these banksters afloat? You know how many taxpayer dollars have gone toward bailing out bitcoin? 0.

you know how many dollars come from taxpayers? that's right, zero

when your friend tells you about how much money they "made" do you really think they are creating the dollars? lol

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Moxxis Endowment posted:

I notice you didn't say that you don't poop from your mouth. Check and mate, rear end mouth

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moxxis Endowment posted:

I'm a 142 lb attractive mid-100s female with a 29 IQ

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

Moxxis Endowment posted:

I think it has its origins with royalty issuing paper IOUs guaranteeing a given amount of gold/silver. Governments and banks came much later.

You can use fiat to pay your taxes so the men with guns from the government don’t come to your house. Until you can do that with Bitcoin, the utility difference should remain obvious.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The $1.5m poster should spend some money on a high resolution av

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CassandraZara posted:

I'm a 142 lb attractive mid-100s female with a 29 IQ

I'm a 29lb mid-142s female with a 100 IQ

https://i.imgur.com/qFxvWdd.jpg

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Cryptocurrency is not only “internet 5.0” but “money 3.0” or more…

We are witnessing the “Great Shaking of the Tree” right now.

Many of the pump and dump cryptos will die, and as far as I’m concerned not fast enough (!), and the good ones, the ones that actually solve a problem will stay.

THEY WILL STAY FOREVER, because they truly are the future of money, and the internet at the same time.

Keep your eyes and ears open for Microsoft Azure.

This is the Blockchain based technology from Microsoft that wants to solve the problem of centralized cloud storage. In other words: it is Microsoft’s FIRST DECENTRALIZED and blockchain based cloud storage solution. (Actually it is much more than that, but you can just go to their website and see for yourself.)

Indeed many of the applications we will never see, we will use them and not even know we are using them. Amazon is also working on decentralized cloud storage, the End User won’t even know it when he/she uses it!

JP Morgan are working on their own financial blockchain called QUORUM.

I think that is worth repeating: one of the biggest financial players in the world is making their own blockchain. THAT my friends is why you hear their CEO talking bad about bitcoin; he’s bad-mouthing the competition!

There are already Bitcoin credit cards that are accepted wherever Visa and the others are.

Indeed Bitcoin has already reached the event horizon and is now TOO BIG TO FAIL.

Bitcoin’s market value is now more than General Electric’s, and Morgan Stanley’s!

At $160 Bln, Bitcoin's Market Cap is Larger Than That of Once World's Largest Company
Bitcoin's market value is now larger than Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley
But it’s not just the marketcap that is so important. It is the BILLIONS of dollars, Yen, Juan(Renminbi), Rubles, Pesos, etc etc. that are now flowing into it.

And even more than that, it is the entire sum of the people who are putting their trust and hard earned money into all cryptocurrencies.

So this is my answer when noobs ask “But…what’s backing it up?”

A: Billions of dollars and billions of people who have invested in it. JUST LIKE the Dollar or any other currency.

Q: Why are they so powerful?

Let’s put all of the geek tech-answers aside. Cryptos are so powerful because they are the first money that YOU actually own. 100%

You think you own your gold? Think again, someone like FDR can come by and confiscate it and make YOU a criminal for wanting to keep your gold: Google Executive Order 6102 - Wikipedia!

Cypress (2012–2013) is another good example, don’t even think for a second that you own “your” money in the bank.

The weakness right now of all cryptocurrencies is that they are on a network+infrastructure (satellites, telephone lines etc.) that is owned by the government. THAT is the next challenge.

Until then, I recommend you read ANYthing by James Altucher about bitcoin, and also Nassim Taleb

Again, we are in the early stages right now and we are shaking the tree.

The coins I think show promise are:

Bitcoin - first mover advantage - too big to fail.
Litecoin - it always worked better and faster.
Ethereum - Bitcoin 2.0. If the blockchain is a software, why not put programs in it?! ICO anyone? Remove the middleman!
Iota - Bitcoin 5.0!!!!!11111 - This is the Matrix! Instead of a blockchain they have a “tangle” with “zero cost transactions.” The internet of things - yes this is skynet 2050 ;-) This is where the machines become sentient…

All privacy based coins:
Monero
Zcash

The future looks bright!

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

julian assflange posted:

The $1.5m poster should spend some money on a high resolution av
You're one to talk, you pixelated gently caress.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Iota - Bitcoin 5.0!!!!!11111 - This is the Matrix! Instead of a blockchain they have a “tangle” with “zero cost transactions.” The internet of things - yes this is skynet 2050 ;-) This is where the machines become sentient…
I lol'd (:

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007

Moxxis Endowment posted:

I live in Australia, where the government's monetary policy played a large part of avoiding recession during the Global Financial Crisis. It would have been more difficult to respond to the GFC if the government was tied to the price of a fixed commodity such as Gold or Bitcoins

Also when people refer to Bitcoins as a ponzi scheme they really just mean that noone is buying it to use it as a currency and instead buying it to speculate. The owners can only profit if new owners are recruited, not from any use of the underlying asset itself. The idea that there is no organized con-men behind the scenes is an interesting concept itself and could be a black mirror episode

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Moxxis Endowment posted:

You may have noticed my post about how all bitcoiners are either stupid or are assholes? Well, you appear to be both.

Is that better?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Waltzing Along posted:

You may have noticed my post about how all bitcoiners are either stupid or are assholes? Well, you appear to be both.

Is that better?

She's also pretty wealthy as a consequence of crypto, while you seem to have invested chiefly in poo poo posts?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Moxxis Endowment posted:

I want a currency controlled by centralized authorities. Centralized authorities have been the primary provider of security, stability, arbitration, and infrastructure that have made civilization and all of it's many benefits possible.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waltzing Along posted:

See how toxic these desperate nocoiners have become? Imagine what they'll be like when bitcoin hits 50k each. They'll probably be doxxing and using death threats.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

She's also pretty wealthy as a consequence of crypto, while you seem to have invested chiefly in poo poo posts?

Shitposts are at $6000. WTF!

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
So, hypothetically, what are the specifics of when tethers become actual dollars? Will there be just a tweet going "tethers are dollars now" and go to all the good hodler boys and girls? Or will it be more complicated than that? Honest question.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

If he/she is telling the truth, then that wealth has come from taking advantage of others. Hence: rear end in a top hat.

I think he is just a troll, though. It's pretty easy to get GBS bitcoin hater riled up.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waltzing Along posted:

If he/she is telling the truth, then that wealth has come from taking advantage of others. Hence: rear end in a top hat.
I mean, I have employees at my business but they're relatively well compensated and I worked 60-70 hour weeks for 5 years straight to get to the point I'm at now.

If that makes me an rear end in a top hat in your view, than :shrug:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I know it's a longstanding point of pride to literally never believe anyone on the internet about anything that they post, ever, but it's gobsmacking to me that skepticism has caused so many goons to sit out on the most dramatic asset appreciation in modern history because they want to sit here and post "lolbuttcoins."

And then to attack the people who didn't, who dipped their toes in the poop and made hundreds of thousands of dollars along the way.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moxxis Endowment posted:

You're one to talk, you pixelated gently caress.

Welp!

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Could be a black mirror episode

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I know it's a longstanding point of pride to literally never believe anyone on the internet about anything that they post, ever, but it's gobsmacking to me that skepticism has caused so many goons to sit out on the most dramatic asset appreciation in modern history because they want to sit here and post "lolbuttcoins."

And then to attack the people who didn't, who dipped their toes in the poop and made hundreds of thousands of dollars along the way.

Anyone who has ever posted their iq in response to a post is a fake poster

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

AARO posted:

Could be a black mirror episode

What if blockchain... But too much???

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
What is more likely, someone telling you the truth that they made 1.5 million off bitcoin or someone lying about it?

:iiam:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Zelder posted:

Anyone who has ever posted their iq in response to a post is a fake poster

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Any $$$ that people make with bitcoin comes at the expense of others. At some point people are stuck with the hot potato and lose their $$. There is no real value in bitcoin.

Usually, someone earns $$$ by providing a service. Whether it be trading their time for $$$ or by trading goods for $$$. Bitcoin is just put some $$$ in and then cash out at a later point. It's bad. Really bad and a lot of people are going to be hurt by it.

True, it is due to their own stupidity, but that still doesn't make it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I just hope you've got some DentaCoins ready for when I smack your teeth in for that loving av of yours