Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

drat it's good to be rich. He stole more money than anyone in the history of theft, pissed off the judge, and torpedoed his own defense by inadvertently admitting to a bunch of crimes, and he still got a comparatively light sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Madoff got 150 years even though he stole way less money and pled guilty.

Guess he should have gone bigger, if he'd stolen a trillion he could have gotten a blowjob and a judicial apology for all the trouble.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Madoff stole from rich connected people.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
a richer and better tier of rich people.

i still think most of these buttcoin crime boys are only getting hammers dropped on them because some rich people cant stand just taking an L and want a scrapgoat.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Elizabeth Holmes did fake blood tests that gave wrong results to patients. She only got 11 years.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
25 years in prison would loving suck, it's plenty

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Madoff never went to trial and the judge's sentence was likely to have been reduced on appeal if he bothered to ask. As it stood Madoff knew he was going to die in prison regardless given his age.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I am loathe to admit it but I do believe that bitcoin will at some point hit 100k. It will also meteorically drop so it's a land of contrasts.

But articles like this border on sycophantic.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I live in Poland. Over here 25 years in jail is how much you get for murder (you can also get life).

25 years for financial crimes is already a tough punishment to me, if he got forty or life it'd be insane from where I'm sitting.

Nov 6, 2002

He made $10 billion disappear.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

while i feel like 25 years is more than enough, regardless of how many years other people got or how others in this thread feel about it, everytime i read this kinda poo poo about him it makes me want the judge to give him more years. like please stop saying he's so smart. no he's not. he's a huge dumbass who thought crimes don't apply to him and like someone else mentioned, he spent money to have large nerd sex orgies while buying up property in the bahamas.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I saw in some coverage of the defense lawyers statements he said some poo poo like 'sbf didn't have fraud in his heart, only math in his head' which is loving hilarious and something he should be forced to disclose to all future potential clients as a warning

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

He made $10 billion disappear.
It didn't disappear, it was simply rerouted to people who had better EV.

I want the EV poster from pages back to henceforth continue operating the fried bank man's investment firm.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Bitcoin: it’ll either go to zero (25% but unlikely!) or to a million (75% you are rich) and that EV equation is positive. Never mind I don’t bother to consider you have to invest at least 70k and never mind that there’s probably more than these two eventualities for bitcoin. You can’t lose!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

consider you have to invest at least 70k

bitcoin is exceptionally stupid but they do have fractional purchases. if it goes to $1M whatever you put into it today will be 14X+

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Fate Accomplice posted:

bitcoin is exceptionally stupid but they do have fractional purchases. if it goes to $1M whatever you put into it today will be 14X+

emoney's writing gives him leeway to argue he wasn't referring to this but he's talking about bitcoin to $1 million dollars. it doesn't matter if bitcoin can be bought in fractions.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 29, 2024

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I love when people go on about how bitcoin is digital money, like I just got home, saw my pay cheque had gone through and paid some bills, all in like 5 minutes, and there were no armoured cars full of banknotes involved at all!

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Fate Accomplice posted:

gently caress off

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Boxturret posted:

I love when people go on about how bitcoin is digital money, like I just got home, saw my pay cheque had gone through and paid some bills, all in like 5 minutes, and there were no armoured cars full of banknotes involved at all!
on the other hand

quote:

pay cheque

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
business idea: bitcoin-denominated checks to make cryptocurrency accessible to Americans

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pocket posted:

I wonder if any of the offered plea deals were below 25yrs.

im willing to bet they were

lmao

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.
https://twitter.com/vydamo_/status/1773491625957924883?t=QpY97ocQ2nkCdAu_z5N6GA&s=19

My kids know me as this ape

Nov 6, 2002

these people are loving psychos

also lol:

https://twitter.com/adam3us/status/1773651557457756467

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Dammit u beat me to it

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

What the deuce is Blur and how did it finally trigger the value collapse of URLs on the blockchain?

e: I mean, other than the band that did that "woo hoo" song.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

cruft posted:

What the deuce is Blur and how did it finally trigger the value collapse of URLs on the blockchain?

I love that song.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

cruft posted:

It appears to be another NFT marketplace that is decentralized.

It took all the traffic from open Sea, and now the apes are worthless because there is no one shopping for them.

Somebody correct me if this is wrong though because I don’t really care about any of this and haven’t researched it very much.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Herman Merman posted:

business idea: bitcoin-denominated checks to make cryptocurrency accessible to Americans

its been done

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

this is good for butcoin

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Blur front man Damon Albarn is also the lead behind Gorrilaz.

Is Damon Albarn behind Blur (NFT marketplace) in an attempt to acquire all the monkey NFTs for cheap??

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i know the entire concept of this is just pfp, a thing that has existed as long as creating website and viewing them in browsers has existed.. hell even before that with ascii art.. but it is loving hilarious that they've now conceptualized this into something with "worth" even though they believe it is tied to them.

1. how is it your identity if you can attempt to "sell" it?
2. if your identity is so tied to this, that people somehow, "know" you as this dumb ape image, why would anyone buy it?

these questions are mostly rhetorical, but i don't know what's dumber: tying yourself to a dumb ape image, and trying to sell that image or _not_ selling it because you've tied yourself to that image so much.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They also say "I have no choice but to sell my ape and retrieve some form of financial value before it trends to zero."

So yeah, not sure why anyone would want to buy this if it's trending to zero.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The world's shittest fursonas.

At least people have fun with those instead of making one single jpeg then fretting about their market value.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Boxturret posted:

Yeah but imagine that but slower, less efficient, more volatile, and less secure! Doesn’t that sound grand!?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Popete posted:

They also say "I have no choice but to sell my ape and retrieve some form of financial value before it trends to zero."

So yeah, not sure why anyone would want to buy this if it's trending to zero.

But it means so much to the person who is -- out of desperation only, please understand -- now selling it.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

If the Crypto Arena ISN'T being used for gladiatorial combat between people who have committed digital fraud, why is it even called that?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah but imagine that but slower, less efficient, more volatile, and less secure! Doesn’t that sound grand!?

Hmm, I'm intrigued, but I really want something that uses a massive amount of electricity just by existing. I mean, like more than a country.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lmao holy poo poo this deserves to be big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish