Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's weird with this thread. It's like pedantic semantic arguments about what exactly?

In the context of Gary's great 2 sentence posts because that's all he can manage to poo poo out, he was comparing fiat currency to cryptos. In my response I referring to it as an alternative to fiat, as in, the other choice you can use for completing a transaction. I didn't say it's a replacement or a substitute, I said, it's an option that exists now that didn't exist previously, and it can be an alternative if you want to do a transaction and don't want to use fiat, now you can use cryptos for the transaction.

It's an option you can use that isn't fiat and you can conduct transactions with it :psyduck:

Just because you don't understand the words that are being used doesn't mean that the poster using them is pedantic

like you understand that there are already lots of alternatives to fiat, right? You can use gold or silver or buckets of horse poo poo or WOW gold to buy stuff, with enough intermediary steps. Furthermore, there have been tons of digital-only payment systems (and even currencies, technically; look up e-gold) that existed before bitcoin. Bitcoin right now is almost equivalent to using WOW gold when trying to buy groceries, except it's actually a lot less efficient than that

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Is "some transactions" better, I want us to reach this place of peace where people aren't offended by really banal observations that you can use this thing as an alternative to that thing for some things

let's find the phrasing that gets us there

FYI no one is being offended by the flaccid points and often simply-incorrect statements being made in your posts

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
bitcoin cannot fail. it can only be failed

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

jimmyjams posted:

bonercoin. boners, but on the blockchain

The Bonechain

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Goodpancakes posted:

I traded a sandwich and beers to have my lawn mowed. It's nice to know that there is Fiat, cryptos, and sandwiches and beer depending on what money I want to be using
rear end, grass, cash, or Bitcoin.

Not sure that flows enough to catch on.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

zedprime posted:

rear end, grass, cash, or Bitcoin.

Not sure that flows enough to catch on.
Loins, joints, or coins

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Waffle House posted:

The Bonechain

"Who's ready to replace Fiat currency?"

"BOOOOOONECHAIN's reeeeeeady!" :spidey:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

oh bonechain you loveable scamp

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
It's nice to see that this latest large market rise has had it's corresponding Ham Sandwiches smug, condescending meltdown. I was getting worried and figured the cycle had been broken.

Looking forward to six more weeks of winterbear market where he is mysteriously absent.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lupin posted:

Loins, joints, or coins
If you drop the s from coins it sounds better.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Someone with no life please overlay Ham's posting times on the price chart because lol

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
How long before Ham Sandwiches also accidentally outs themselves as a pedophile?

AARO will be missed. o7

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Spatial posted:

Someone with no life please overlay Ham's posting times on the price chart because lol

:master:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Rufio posted:

Why is bitscoin not fiat?

thats litecoin

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Some yospos guy ran the chart and posted it already, it was a few months back

Lurkers with encyclopedic knowledge of posts this is where you come in

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Has anyone posted a cock to the blockchain? A cockchain if you will.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Nessus posted:

Has anyone posted a cock to the blockchain? A cockchain if you will.
A more efficient system would be the new ICO I'm preparing for the INCELcoin. With INCELcoin the purchaser becomes the token, who becomes tracked in perpetuity through the proprietary cockblockchain.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

For Bitcoin to be an alternative to fiat currency it would have to first stop being the most fiat of fiat currencies. Its value is absolutely derived from supply/demand rather than it being composed of some valuable material or backed by anything at all (except, possibly, other fiat currencies!).

I mean, at least with Zimbabwe or Venezuela funbux you can weave them into a cool looking basket, burn them to start a fire, or use them as bad toilet paper. Paper, unlike random hashes on a computer, has at least some intrinsic value.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 20, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
bitcoin has a ton of value.

It's great for finding assholes who take advantage of other people. And it's even better for finding the idiots who get taken advantage of by the assholes.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Waltzing Along posted:

bitcoin has a ton of value.

It's great for finding assholes who take advantage of other people. And it's even better for finding the idiots who get taken advantage of by the assholes.

the best coiners are always, always the suckers who think they're the scammer

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/vgcerf/status/1019987651301081089

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
On the subject of manipulated charts, this is what that looks like IRL:

https://twitter.com/worstcryptocal/status/1020329385348485122

I'm the 0 4 hour red candles between point A and point B

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Instead of butts you should load up on Amazon calls imo

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Years and years ago I commented that the EVE ISK sitting in some game account somewhere is a better currency that butts. It's 2018 and that hasn't changed one freaken bit lol.

Seriously I could boot that back up and probably extract a couple hundo out into actual $s. I can also guaranty it's been a more stable store of value despite it being a virtual world where the rules can literally change in a day.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

LethalGeek posted:

Years and years ago I commented that the EVE ISK sitting in some game account somewhere is a better currency that butts. It's 2018 and that hasn't changed one freaken bit lol.

Seriously I could boot that back up and probably extract a couple hundo out into actual $s. I can also guaranty it's been a more stable store of value despite it being a virtual world where the rules can literally change in a day.

Apparently a big war just kicked off so your isk might be worth more. Up up up!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Apparently a big war just kicked off so your isk might be worth more. Up up up!
once again a video game currency is a better example of real market forces (as opposed to rampant manipulation) than bitcoin

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Ham Sandwiches posted:

They're an alternative to fiat currency because they're not fiat currency are you genuinely too dumb to grasp that?

It's not an alternative to FIAT because it is mainly used to transfer FIAT and the very few cases you can actually buy something from retailers, the retailer does not accept bitcoin at all, instead they accept FIAT after some payment processor has converted the crypto coins into FIAT.

The people that think they can get rich are hoping to cash out into FIAT because you can actually spend FIAT as opposed to crypto which you can do gently caress all with.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

https://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/389193/Neverdie+Studios+Jon+Neverdie+Jacobs+Interview/

at around 08:00 minutes

AMEVRICA WILL BE THE FIRST CROSS PLATFORM , DECENTRALIZED, OPEN SOURCE, BLOCKCHAIN GOVERNED, MMORPG/VIRTUAL REALITY HYBRID WORLD WITH A CRYPTOCURRENCY BASED HUNTER GATHERER ECONOMIC SYSTEM.

quote:

To get to AmeVRica we need to build The Ethereum Teleporter – “The First Wonder of Virtual Reality”

The initial crowd funding goal for the Teleporter Token is $50,000,000.

The task of developing the Ethereum Teleporter will be undertaken by NEVERDIE studios in partnership with Portalarium and gamers. We will create gamified teleporter construction, defense and mining jobs. After the sale is complete, Teleport Tokens with a $10 million USD market value will be allocated to pay gamified wages. NEVERDIE Studios will develop the API for the telportation system and port of entry into AmeVRica and between other worlds and games.

After the port of entry into AmeVRica is completed, colonization will start and an additional 1 billion dollars will be raised to finance the expansion of the teleportation network. $400 Million will be allocated to pay gamified wages and $600 million will be allocated to fund system and content development by a wide variety of studios.

Each Teleport Token will provide proof of citizenship of AmeVRica and the ability to utilize the teleport system. It will also provide an individual holder with the right to vote for game and Dapp developers who will be selected to develop AmeVRica.

Of the 10 billion Teleport Tokens created, 1.5 Billion tokens will be sold to fund initial development, 5 billion tokens will be allocated only to be looted, mined and crafted by users throughout AmeVRican games and DApps and the remaining 3.5 Billion Teleport Tokens will be reserved.

https://neverdie.com/

Richard Garriot on the Board as Advisor

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Let's be honest here, this is crypto so they could just be lying about it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
sounds like theyve got a real piece of crap game attached to those buzz words and even dumber sounding cryptocoin words

quote:

To get to AmeVRica we need to build The Ethereum Teleporter – “The First Wonder of Virtual Reality”
did someone find a cache of rejected lawnmower man 2 scripts?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Inventor Astronaut :lol:

Garriot is a shady gently caress. His company Portalarium make Shroud of the Avatar, a Star Citizen-like loony bin where people buy $1200 virtual land plots and all the game assets are recycled Unity asset store models.

Finances are in a dismal state so it's time to start an ICO!

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Spatial posted:

Inventor Astronaut :lol:

Garriot is a shady gently caress. His company Portalarium make Shroud of the Avatar, a Star Citizen-like loony bin where people buy $1200 virtual land plots and all the game assets are recycled Unity asset store models.

Finances are in a dismal state so it's time to start an ICO!

The Neverdie ICO was last summer. They raised 5.8 million dollars (according to one site; I didn't check) worth of ETH, probably valued significantly higher than that today if they haven't spent it all already. To their credit they still seem to be coding stuff, although why anyone would care is a more important question. The tokens are currently going for roughly 10% of ICO price in USD.

Shroud of the Avatar just laid a bunch of people off last month.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Garriott probably needs the money to be able to afford Britannia Manor II.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ICO's getting greedy has been pretty funny to watch. Some of the big shitcoins of last year sold coins at a fraction of a penny to get them out there but since the peak of the market everyone has $300-$600 minimum buyins of $1-$10+ coins that fall flat on their face.

I guess the people selling the shovels realized they should get everything they possibly can out of the first sale.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I will say watching EOS dump to poo poo has been wonderful and everyone who invested in that bullshit hype deserves what they get.
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/eos/ hype hype hype -> crash. Realistic EOS pricing: $1-5/coin.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

crypto. crime, drama, thriller, no plot
they got it exactly right

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Crypto means cryptozoology.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

klafbang posted: