Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Not for long!

:10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Telegram shut down their ICO. How badly did trying to make an Internet magical money tree go for them? Well, Telegram is now $500m in hock to the Russian totally-not-mafia.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Remember that Australian dude who claimed to be the guy who invented bitcoin?

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Seems like John McAfee took a break from cocaine and running from the IRS long enough to plagiarize an existing privacy alt-coin in the form of his "Ghost" coin.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 18, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ghost was Peter Norton's thing, too :thunk:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Lol that's literally the coin my friend was raving about drunkenly yesterday after I told him I really didn't want to hear about crypto any more. He's convinced he's going to make tens of thousands of dollars easily?

Everything is stupid.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I gotta say, the one man I would definitely want to follow for investment advice and life coaching in general would without a doubt be John McAfee.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I gotta say, the one man I would definitely want to follow for investment advice and life coaching in general would without a doubt be John McAfee.

if my choice is between investing my money into hookers, blow, and mysterious lab drugs; and investing it into bitcoin

well you can't put a bitcoin up your nose

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Lol that's literally the coin my friend was raving about drunkenly yesterday after I told him I really didn't want to hear about crypto any more. He's convinced he's going to make tens of thousands of dollars easily?

Everything is stupid.

Who thinks they are getting rich off a coin that stuffmonger probably invented with the purpose of buying more research chemicals?

Every one of McAfee's posts are a delight, and they have coin scammers in the replies, pretending to use his name. I guess fiction has become reality.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

John McAfee is my answer to that job interview question "where do you see yourself in 10 years?"

Look forward to libertarian presidential candidate xtal, despite being Canadian. On the other hand, not so much about the scat fetish.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

xtal posted:

John McAfee is my answer to that job interview question "where do you see yourself in 10 years?"

A murderer on the run after your mescaline sex compound didn't work out in Belize?

I also aspire to be McAfee, but in research chemicals

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

A murderer on the run after your mescaline sex compound didn't work out in Belize?

I also aspire to be McAfee, but in research chemicals

Hey, I didn't say it was a good thing, but you are really selling it to me now

McAfee is an enjoyable combination of mental illness and enough money to get away with it. He is basically infosec Kanye. My Beautiful Dark Bitcoin Fantasy

xtal fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 18, 2020

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

xtal posted:

Who thinks they are getting rich off a coin that stuffmonger probably invented with the purpose of buying more research chemicals?

Every one of McAfee's posts are a delight, and they have coin scammers in the replies, pretending to use his name. I guess fiction has become reality.

I don't know. I really don't know. He gets duped very easily by things that sound good. "The more I read about crypto, the more value I see in it! Besides it redirects money away from GOVERNMENT :downs:"

Because now he thinks governmental spending is bad? Despite being like, a liberal Canadian? gently caress me.

It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't take it personally when I explain to him how I feel about it.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I don't know. I really don't know. He gets duped very easily by things that sound good. "The more I read about crypto, the more value I see in it! Besides it redirects money away from GOVERNMENT :downs:"

Because now he thinks governmental spending is bad? Despite being like, a liberal Canadian? gently caress me.

It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't take it personally when I explain to him how I feel about it.

Hope he didn't invest too much

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Is it still possible to call John McAfee pretty much any time any place to ask him about how awesome he is and/or tell him his bath salt addictions and his cryptocurrency are loving stupid before he can try to organize a twitter mob on you?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

His reasoning for why he thought this coin was going to EXPLODE in worth.

Are you ready?

Are you hanging on the edge of your seat?

Cause Elon Musk tweeted about it.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Are you ready?

👻 price is too high, IMO

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
musk says a lot of dumb poo poo but crypto scammers have pretended to be elon musk on twitter for years so while it's possible the real guy tweeted about it, probably not

your idiot friend is the reason they keep doing it

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Are you ready?

Please buy your friend a forums account.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Bitcoin's the scam that doesn't end.
Yes, it goes on and on, my friend!
Some people started buying it not knowing what it was
And they'll just keep on shilling it forever just because
And they'll just keep on hodling it forever just because
And they'll just keep on hodling it forever just because...

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I searched for this and couldn't find any mention of it, so please excuse if this is a repeat:

Channel 2 KTUV posted:

Considered by many to be a "computer genius," [Douglas] Saltsman is the founder of Saltmine.io -- a now-defunct blockchain and cryptocurrency company which was based out of Saltsman's Sandy, Utah home.

So if his company is now defunct, why is a TV station reporting on him? You get three guesses, and the first two :nms:don't count:nms:.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Godholio posted:

And they'll just keep on hodling it forever just because...

i was gonna go to court
until i bought bit coin
i was gonna pay my child support
until i bought bit coin
now the judge says i cant pay child support in bit coin
and i know why
(hey hey)
because i bought bit coin

it's just a joke no bit coiner would ever pay child support

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Yond Cassius posted:

I searched for this and couldn't find any mention of it, so please excuse if this is a repeat:

So if his company is now defunct, why is a TV station reporting on him? You get three guesses, and the first two :nms:don't count:nms:.

Wish I had guessed wrong.

I am not much for spoilers, but there is a very grim sentence in this quote. Don’t read it if you’re sensitive to discussion of the thing you already know the Bitcoin entrepreneur is in trouble for.

quote:

The first file, according to documents, was a compilation video of prepubescent girls under 8, some as young as toddlers, being raped.

quote:

Saltsman faces one to 15 years in prison for each of the three charges.

One year? How? How is the thing described not a mandatory 250,000 years under the prison?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Wish I had guessed wrong.

I am not much for spoilers, but there is a very grim sentence in this quote. Don’t read it if you’re sensitive to discussion of the thing you already know the Bitcoin entrepreneur is in trouble for.

One year? How? How is the thing described not a mandatory 250,000 years under the prison?

The duration of a prison sentence isn't really relevant for a rock spider

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
pleading guilty? shameful lack of gumption. should have used dpr's pro strat of suggesting that Mark Karpeles planted the incriminating materials on his computer while he was torrenting.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Apparently, Today someone moved 40BTC that was mined in the first 30 days of bitcoin going public. Seems like this could be sign that things are going to get quite interesting for btc.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

That or somebody finally found their memory stick.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Darth Brooks posted:

... and promptly got robbed.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Darth Brooks posted:

Did they not check under the birdbath first?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Yond Cassius posted:

Getting the preview of the link on mobile gives me "utah-ceo-pleads-guilty-to-having-more-than-13000" and all I can think is "please be ketamine2go" but I knew it wouldn't be that.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Worse is that he only got sentenced for a total of 210 days - not even the "one year". There's a petition to recall the judge for such an egregiously light sentence.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Man, this thread sure gets quiet without Seraph around, but I certainly don't miss them.

I get the feeling we're probably not too far from another massive sell-off. Looks like the price dropped 5% last night.
And with the way most of the US has been handling covid-19, a second wave seems pretty likely, which will cause people to freak out and sell off, likely a much bigger sell off than the first one.

There's also this article, which suggests that bitcoin is probably running low on actual cash, which if true, will likely also cause people to freak out a bunch and try to scrape out whatever they can
https://decrypt.co/29930/nearly-5-billion-in-tethers-were-issued-since-january-why

And in other fun news: Russia Proposes Law That Criminalizes Buying Bitcoin With Cash, Offenders Face 7 Years in Jail
https://news.bitcoin.com/russia-law-criminalizes-buying-bitcoin-7-years-jail/

This is all, of course, good for bitcoin.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Slightly Absurd posted:

I get the feeling we're probably not too far from another massive sell-off. Looks like the price dropped 5% last night.
And with the way most of the US has been handling covid-19, a second wave seems pretty likely, which will cause people to freak out and sell off, likely a much bigger sell off than the first one.
Your logic could be true, but of course bitcoin doesn't follow logic. A 5% drop is as much in indicator of a massive sell-off as a 15% increase.

Slightly Absurd posted:

There's also this article, which suggests that bitcoin is probably running low on actual cash, which if true, will likely also cause people to freak out a bunch and try to scrape out whatever they can
https://decrypt.co/29930/nearly-5-billion-in-tethers-were-issued-since-january-why
Now this stuff is more entertaining because it is sort of what happened with the two big crashes. Everyone paying attention knew from the start the tether bomb would eventually go off but there is no way to tell from the outside (and maybe from the inside too) how much time is left on the fuse.

End the fed bitfinex.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Reminder bitfinex got hacked and directly stole at least a third of everybody's assets overnight to try to cover the losses before co-opting tether. No, really.

The reactions:

quote:

[–]laughncow 1 point 2 hours ago

This is good guys you have to consider the lost opportunity cost if your money was tied up for 4 yesrs. Learn from this . Learn how to to properly trade and protect assets in aggressive markets. Move forward . It also sounds like we will get equity in bitfinex Inc which you would never normally be offered. This could be a good thing . Now we will all trade here if we are owners. This is how bad things end up being a good thing

[–]ID-10T-ERRORBitcoin Skeptic 7 points 2 hours ago

Man, you people claim to be all for bitcoin's non-central usage meaning you use it at your own risk, but then if something bad happens you scream, cry and yell for help from authorities and government when something bad goes wrong with an exchange that is trying to be amicable with the community and its users.

I took a loss (34K if you must know based on this announcement), but these were clearly the terms when I signed up for Bitfinex. Is it their fault that they got hacked, probably but you took that risk as well as others and it didn't pan out in your favor. Is it my fault for keeping that much USD and not withdrawing and keeping reasonable acceptable trading amounts in case of a loss? Definitely!

People like to point fingers to Bitfinex when users/traders should be pointing fingers at their greedy selves. I am happy with the outcome and 36% across everyone is fair (that way no one cries if for someone certain users weren't affected).

Let me ask you guys, would you rather have Bitfinex default and have little or no monetary compensation at all for the years to come? Or would you rather take that loss now and make it up over the coming years!?

Bitcoin is still bullish to go up (we all hope!) and I think that by accepting the remaining assets/balance is the best way for now to recover the losses over the next few days/weeks/months/years trading.

Remember, it's not Bitfinex's fault for getting hacked. We all knew the risks associated with exchanges and if you thought for one second your money was safe, then you shouldn't be trading bitcoin at all. Bitstamp and other exchanges may have been safe/not hacked at all because probably it was too much effort for the criminals to even get the payout worthwhile. They went after bitfinex for the same reason coders/hackers and attackers exploit and hack Windows operating systems, because most people use them and rely on them for their business use when there's no incentive for a hacker to hack or exploit OSX.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Imagine the opportunities you could have had if you had been offered equity in Mt Gox years ago.

"if you thought for one second your money was safe, then you shouldn't be trading bitcoin at all."
"Hey where have all the traders gone?"

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

CampingCarl posted:

Your logic could be true, but of course bitcoin doesn't follow logic. A 5% drop is as much in indicator of a massive sell-off as a 15% increase.

of course. the 5% thing i mentioned is pretty par for the course on any given day of bitcoin, and honestly not all that remarkable.
and yeah, for the most part, bitcoin isn't dictated by logic, and my premise assumes there will be a second 'vid wave and that we'll have to close down again, but as far as i know, you can't really pay medical [or other] bills, pay rent, or buy groceries with bitcoin, so there would likely be another giant wave of people converting their beautiful satoshis into filthy fiat.

it honestly kinda feels like a big dumb game of texas hold 'em, where everybody's somehow got 2-7s, and they're all bluffing their asses off. it all feels a lot more psychological than logical.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
There will be more coiners itt, there will always be more, and they are welcome here.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

this thread has had plenty of coiners who werent idiot dumbshit bad people, some of them made some money and some of them lost some money

true believers who crow about THE FUTURE OF MONEY as if their blockchain of choice is new or innovative or good or private or secure or beneficial to society, over and over again, yeah when those people visit this thread they're probably gonna get called a shithead. not every person who got into bitcoin is gonna be that, though prolonged exposure has a tendency to cause brain poisoning

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Ad by Khad posted:

this thread has had plenty of coiners who werent idiot dumbshit bad people, some of them made some money and some of them lost some money

true believers who crow about THE FUTURE OF MONEY as if their blockchain of choice is new or innovative or good or private or secure or beneficial to society, over and over again, yeah when those people visit this thread they're probably gonna get called a shithead. not every person who got into bitcoin is gonna be that, though prolonged exposure has a tendency to cause brain poisoning
It seems like anyone that gets into bitcoin in recent times is either going to be a true believer or FOMO which easily turns to true believer so the likelihood of a coiner not being a shithead and not posting something that hasnt been thoughly debunked years before seems slim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

some of them just wanna get high

not a very environmentally friendly way to do it but I'm not gonna judge super hard