Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

But when will bitcoin succeed?

When it turns out bitcoin paid for North Korea's thermonuclear icbm's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Rock Puncher posted:

What would happen if we all started transferring each other measly sums of .00000001 bitcoin for free? Could we automate this process? Would there be any point or are bitcoins now at a point where the demand and transaction velocity is so high that it will never catch up until it goes pear shaped?

Yeah, this sounds like it'd be pretty easy for a very small group of people to really clog up transactions if they wanted to

wit
Jul 26, 2011
The thing I love most about bitcoin people is that they're not just offended when people question its stability, they get angry and panic because people questioning the stability of bitcoin might make it more unstable. Every time you say "lol bitcoin" someone panics and checks the current rate in case someone heard.

E: Also, this is what wanting to turn bitcoin rich into real person rich looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZCaSyid4m0

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

wit posted:

The thing I love most about bitcoin people is that they're not just offended when people question its stability, they get angry and panic because people questioning the stability of bitcoin might make it more unstable. Every time you say "lol bitcoin" someone panics and checks the current rate in case someone heard.

What's also amazing is the amount of times that I've heard the acronym "FUD" used by Bitcoiners. Hell, until I looked it up about a minute ago, I thought they were the ones that made it up.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

edit: The thing about Bitcoins is... it doesn't make sense. It's driven by stupidity, a lot of the price is just leveraged stupidity of us humans. So in that way, considering maybe 1% of people around the world have even heard about it, there's a lot of stupidity to be mined

now THAT's a science you can depend on for consistent results

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

wit posted:

lol it's like roko's basilisk but a currency instead

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Is there some podcast or YouTube channel like the old bitcoin show from years ago that’s just non stop kool aide and incompetence? I’d totally watch/listen to some of that poo poo again

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What does FUD mean? Fortis Ubertim Denarius?

* Oh, fear uncertainty and doubt?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I took my currency of the future down to the supermarket and now I've been waiting two days for the payment to go through. Help?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

literally

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

That’s still free 3,000 dollars

Just get that money out, it’s not even real

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
BTC network having problems with addition I see

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Goodpancakes posted:

What does FUD mean? Fortis Ubertim Denarius?

* Oh, fear uncertainty and doubt?

Yeah. Its use as an acronym made it sound really cultish whenever I heard a lot of Bitcoiners use it to discredit any negative talk.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

XK posted:

The current block reward is 12.5 bitcoins.
The average number of transactions per block is ~2,500.
The average amount of transaction fees per block is 4 bitcoins.
The current bitcoin price is ~$15,000.

https://blockchain.info/stats

The block reward is $187,500.

Every 10 minutes, $187,500 is being removed from the bitcoin economy.

Each transaction costs $75 in block rewards.

Each block has $60,000 in transaction fees.

The average transaction fee is $24.

Block reward plus transaction fee means each transaction costs $99.

:lol:

This is not a joke. Between the fee the user pays to the miners and the fee the miners intrinsically get from mining bitcoins, they are paying $100 "worth" of bitcoin per transaction. And the transactions are slow and unreliable.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So what you're saying is the miners are grifting everyone

Huh

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Any good resources out there for really undestanding blockchain? It seems like something my firm is trying to push/sell/create buzz around it, but either I'm too dumb to understand it or it makes no sense given the proposed applications.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Moridin920 posted:

So what you're saying is the miners are grifting everyone

Huh

Assuming they can cash out their funbux, yeah. I guess this makes me feel like they're going to be the impetus for the price crash sooner rather than later, since I expect most of these large mining pools are owned by non-true believers who have an electric bill to pay.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The miners aren't even making that much money because most of that $100 is eaten up by electricity costs and the cost of hardware that is useful only for turning electricity into bitcoin transactions. They're being payed $100 and literally like $95 is flat out wasted on doing pointless computer calculations. By design. It was literally designed to waste most of the cost of every transaction.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Any good resources out there for really undestanding blockchain? It seems like something my firm is trying to push/sell/create buzz around it, but either I'm too dumb to understand it or it makes no sense given the proposed applications.

its an inefficient distributed decentralized database that relies on the free market to determine data validity

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Stefan Prodan posted:

That amount is pretty easy to withdraw

That's what people keep saying. But I haven't proof of a sucessful withdrawl (to the US) that didn't end in someones bank freezing their account. Surely someone in this thread must have extracted a large amount of money from Bitcoin into USD and can show us a line item in their bank account? I don't doubt that its technically possible, I would just like to see it.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

This is like watching a global version of musical chairs. Except when the music stops, your chair and the entire house is gone.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

nexous posted:

That's what people keep saying. But I haven't proof of a sucessful withdrawl (to the US) that didn't end in someones bank freezing their account. Surely someone in this thread must have extracted a large amount of money from Bitcoin into USD and can show us a line item in their bank account? I don't doubt that its technically possible, I would just like to see it.
I think the theory here is that if you "Just" want to pull out six hundo, it is relatively likely that after multiple attempts and a customer support ticket, you may be able to do so. It is in the interest of the scammers to do a little of that because it spreads the story.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Should I invest my retirement money into a new titan v powered bitcoin rig or directly into bitcoins at this point? need advice asap!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fallows posted:

Should I invest my retirement money into a new titan v powered bitcoin rig or directly into bitcoins at this point? need advice asap!

Bitcoin is over. fucktoken is the new hotness.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fallows posted:

Buy Porg

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I mined for about 10 days though nicehash earning rough $45 in btc. I probably spent $12 in power. I transferred that to coinbase for no reason. Then my power supply blew up, costing me $90 to replace.

So basically it cost me $102 to generate 45 in magic bucks that still isn't technically in my pocket.

They should try making a currency that is useful for something. Imagine if!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

jonathan posted:

I mined for about 10 days though nicehash earning rough $45 in btc. I probably spent $12 in power. I transferred that to coinbase for no reason. Then my power supply blew up, costing me $90 to replace.

So basically it cost me $102 to generate 45 in magic bucks that still isn't technically in my pocket.

They should try making a currency that is useful for something. Imagine if!
It's useful for giving guys with computer skills free money occasionally, what purpose could be higher?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Here's a quick explainer I ran across this week. Let me know if you want something more in-depth.

https://tinyurl.com/yb7pzlba

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

nexous posted:

Is that $7,000 still in an exchange or in your bank account? Honestly curious if you are able to get it into actual USD.

Lol dude its not 2011 any more. Coinbase exists.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

nexous posted:

I have personally withdrawn 40k from btc to usd from poker

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

All at once?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It was like 9500 twice and 20k once

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Nessus posted:

All at once?

it's difficult to accept things have changed in the last 5 years but believe it or not, bitcoin is about to be traded on nasdaq and yes there are several licensed startups who give cash for satoshi beanie babies.

look up GDAX

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Stefan Prodan posted:

It's good to know that it has happened successfully. Thank you.

Stealthgerbil posted:

Lol dude its not 2011 any more. Coinbase exists.

Tell that to these people:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/6sgqku/cannot_withdraw_from_my_usd_wallet/
https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/6zg14v/unable_to_withdraw_usd_from_gdaxcoinbase_bank/
https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/69yru1/gdax_withdraw_to_bank_account_problem/

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Good financial decisions being made

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!