Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah like, if you believe that the iphone 4 or 5 is exactly the right size and that nobody will use phones larger than that, you would be a yospos poster, and you would believe things that aren't true. It's just a sign of inability to predict the future, and I call that dumb.

Get in touch with James Randi, theres $1000000 in it for you given you can see the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

When space libertarians become a thing I’m going to start a kickstarter to launch bricks into orbit.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Given my current expenses, including monthly international travel and living in a hosed housing market, I could make it over 40 years before I need to be concerned about interest off that 1.7 mill. Y’all spend too much.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Mr. sweater, do you think btc is good for the environment? If so, how. Tia for your testimony.

I want to take a stab at this. Using the number from earlier in the thread, if each person on earth is limited to one transaction every 33 years then the concept of the economy might not be sustainable leading to humans returning to a hunter gatherer species after the mass die off.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

So how much will the transaction costs have to go up to keep enough of the network alive?

Alternatively what are the odds that we just sweep this whole limit thing under the rug?

E: stupid internet drama is as close to sports betting as I usually get.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 27, 2018

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I take it comfy is in at 500/1 against.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I feel better knowing it was a bitcoin, I was having a hard time figuring out what was on the llama's back.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

For 100k a day, I'd make it my life's mission to never poop in the same toilet more than once.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

That actually seems on brand for Bitcoin, I'm in. Is it too late to make a shitcoin joke?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

If number only go up, I think you're selling yourself short cashing out to buy such a crappy place, not gonna lie. What's a brownstone run nowadays?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

But when you factor in opportunity cost, you're screwing yourself over pretty harshly for something that's going to be torn down within your lifetime.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Ok, just thought you wanted to be rich.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I guess in this example, 'Brownstone' rich.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Also genuinely happy you're buying a house, I'll probably be putting my windfall into one of those instead of bits.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Dibs on temporal-coin.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

*If I had a time machine

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Same but for whatever stock is popular for people to complain about selling 20 years ago.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Can you buy a Tesla with $TSLA, didn't think so.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

Why didn't all bitcoiners buy $TSLA if they're so smart, they'd be even richer

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Some investors paid a bunch of oil tankers to just float around in circles for a few months too.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Mr_Companie posted:

none of which I'll take a stand for on this forum.

Most of us are sitting.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The next thing is SPACs, sorry coiners.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

if i were a millionaire living in New York, the literal cultural mecca of the United States, i too would waste my time trying to wring approval from strangers on the internet instead of enjoying the thousands of venues available to me right this moment.

What part of HODL don't you understand?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

That I never cashed in any of those reddit tips probably frustrates you.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Slumpy posted:

You goons have hung around procoiners for too long. Got some major brain bugs. Have fun yall

They're features.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

BSN_tg_bgg posted:

1. Can’t print up money in order to run deficits
2. Ledger is public and money easily traceable
3. Any legislation written would show an easy paper trail from lawmaker to wealthy donors.

In short it wouldn’t, but it would be a tough nuisance.

1. Tether

3. They already do this.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Buy high, sell low guys.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

CrunchwrapSupremes posted:

Now, can you guess what the entire world's economy is going to develop around next? I'll give you a hint: it's not Gamestop stocks.

If it's Pogs, I'm set for life.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Sand Handwiches is back, that's how you know number go up.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Sincere question: Has it occured to these posters that the number has been going up most of the time SA has had a bitcoin thread?

I'd be more concerned about it if all the control numbers I have to look at didn't also go up.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

no_recall posted:

Is there someone here that can do some critical analysis on Tether Coin? Apparently its 1 to 1 USD, but not?

USD costs 1
USDT costs 1.0007 no 6 wait it's 7 again.

USD is backed by the full faith and credit of the US government or some BS along those lines that we all mostly just agree on.
USDT is backed by 'assets' and no you can't look.

USD comes in green!

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

If you can actually withdraw on it you're miles better than whatever voodoo USDT is backed by, how good is the audit and how likely is it a ponzi? How likely will they be stable when you want them to be?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

You've got the right idea.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

no_recall posted:

The funny thing about this is that the exchange can trade based on thin air as long as traders don't cash out.

This is where Tether came in handy.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

It's more fun when he tries to justify Bitcoin, you all have broken him and it's all "look at me, I have monopoly money" now.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Miners as space heaters is one of the precious few actual good use cases for bitcoin yet to be discovered.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

kw0134 posted:

If you could embed an AWS farm into every home in America and design the casing to maximize the heat distribution then go for it. That's a lot more than a single video card.

There was a startup that wanted to do that, they probably did great, but if I'm thinking right

Let's call it a 500w heater, it should produce roughly the same amount of heat if we replaced the heating element with about 500w worth of recycled video cards all running the Crysis stress test, right?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

CoolCab posted:

you are taking a waste product of another process - a terrible process, one that should not exist for any number of extremely compelling reasons relating to the continued existence of our civilization - and reusing it. that is more efficient - you are doing more work (even work that shouldn't be done) with the same quantity of energy. if the user actually replaces heat spent roughly 1:1 (ie doesn't change their behaviour and keep the heat on past when they'd normally) and if the device still enjoys a typical operational life of intended function - ie it is used to play games and stays out of a landfill for X years - then it is more efficient.

:same:

Full disclosure: I do not mine because I figure this graphics card needs to last until a few months after Bitcoin dies out.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 26, 2021

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I hear natural gas has over 130% efficient conversion to butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

so where’s the smart money

mojo1701a posted:

We're all just ideas men who start the wiki.

I bet you could trick a whole new generation of coiner into buying those USB miners again.