Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I know xkcd is bad, but I like bad things so I check it occasionally and the new one talks about voat. He's on the side of the angels here.

"There are lots of very smart people doing fascinating work on cryptographic voting protocols. We should be funding and encouraging them, and doing all our elections with paper ballots until everyone currently working in that field has retired."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gary oldmans diary posted:

with paper ballot voting all you would need to ensure trust is have multiple people with opposing interests performing separate counts and accumulations of counts at every stage to ensure trust. slower but dead simple

Yeah, that's how we do it in canada, I've worked as a poll clerk before. Each table gets two (temporary) employees of Elections Canada and a list of ~400 registered voters. Every party is allowed to send a volunteer observer for each table to watch that we are following the rules and not pulling any fast ones. They are allowed to look at our stuff, but not touch it.

At the end of the night we lock up and count the votes. One of the two at the table holds up each ballot and reads off the vote, the other writes it down. The volunteer observers can look at each ballot and keep their own tally. In the event that a ballot looks spoiled or ambiguous the observers can challenge the poll workers interpretation of the ballot right then and there, which brings over a supervisor. At the end of the count if any of the observers got a different vote tally than the poll workers they can challenge the count and force us to recount on the spot until everyone is satisfied. (The ballots all go into sealed envelopes to be archived for a while in case anyone wants to demand a recount after all that.)

It takes hours. The poll staff have to be on site with at least one of each pair having eyes on their poll box for the full 12 hours the polls are open, plus the hours it takes to count your 400 votes and do all the paperwork, so it is at least a 14 hour day. No smoke breaks or coffee breaks, but you can take quick bathroom breaks though that closes your station which can mean grumpy people standing in line while you poop. Not complicated, but very labour intensive.

All this would be worse in the USA though, because you elect multiple guys at once in each riding and also throw in referendums and stuff sometimes. Super labour intensive.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Andy Dufresne posted:

You guys are killing the joke so I guess I'll pile on. The problem isn't just that we're bad at what we do, it's that software complexity and interoperability leads to more security vulnerabilities. You can make really dumb software that is secure. One of my internships in college was removing core functions of a language so we could put it in embedded hardware and math geeks could write proofs that the software did what it said it did and nothing else. When it comes to a nationwide (or even statewide) voting system it's going to have a bureaucratic swiss army knife list of requirements and will be written by the lowest bidder who rushed through mocked screens and a fake back end to win the contract before later trying to flesh it out.

I'd also suggest that the work of a software engineer is generally less likely to be double checked than the other examples of a building engineer or an aircraft engineer.

If you engineer a building it has to follow legally binding rules that have been developed over hundreds of years of accidents. You have to submit your plans to regulators and get the building inspector to sign off on everything. Then your plans go through a (hopefully experienced and diligent) building contractor who isn't an engineer but is another chance for your mistakes to be caught. It's not perfect and novel problems still pop up, like curved buildings with glass fronts concentrating solar radiation and causing damage to things nearby, but there are lots of chances for a mistake to be caught.

My impression with software is that it doesn't usually get that kind of comprehensive review by fresh eyes. If the software seems to do what it is supposed to do, then there generally won't be a third party inspection. It also doesn't need to be flawless, because in general updating flawed code is much easier than retrofitting a flawed building.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Burt Sexual posted:

You’ve never wrote mission critical software I’m guessing.

E we don’t write video game drivers you absolute idiots. gently caress.

Right, but we're talking about the whole industry. Every building is supposed to be built with building codes and inspectors and whatnot - even in small towns there is suppose to be a building inspector. There is no general city code inspector for software. Some projects will have auditors, but not every project.

So far what we know about voting software is that nearly all of it has been hacked by russians, lol. It is certainly possible to write secure voting software, but it doesn't seem to have been done yet. Maybe democracy doesn't rate mission critical software? Maybe critical election software just shouldn't be connected to a network? I dunno. Right now it looks like people are right to be worried about it though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do we even know if there really is any fentanyl on the streets, and not just targeted assassinations against specific targets (plus, maybe some collateral damage to disguise the targeting)?

Do we have to trust what law enforcement says without independent confirmation?

How can we know unless we snort some mystery chemicals for ourselves???

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Khorne posted:

Real estate is a government-backed perma bubble that you're forced to participate in. Either through rental or purchase. Both are losing propositions and massively inflated vs their real value to a citizen as a place to live.

That's why I live in a van down by the river.

Stay in your lane. This is the bitcoin thread, the goons living in vans thread is over there ---> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872144

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

naem posted:

why is it always in a desert

If you want to build a new civilization you need a spot where nobody is already living. A spot nobody wants to live. Generally that's going to be out in the wilderness somewhere. The desert. The jungle. The ocean. The mountains. The arctic.

Of the available uninhabited land the desert seems the easiest logistically. You build a store an have everything brought in. Who needs running water? It isn't like cryptonerds are planning on doing any gardening, right? Or bathing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

El_Elegante posted:

I wish I’d bought those strawberries and owned a piece of bitcoin history

I don't think they ever got past the proof of concept stage.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My Linux Rig posted:

you say that while there’s 7.5 billion people in the world

If anything, sentience works too well

How many bacteria?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Waltzing Along posted:

I meant for non-mods. Typically, the OP asks the mod for the title change. I've never seen a mod ask for suggestions, though. Hence the question.

I don't really care about the thread title. You can change it to the Bitcoin Winter HODLerland for all I care. Just curious about the rules.

Does GBS have rules?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gazpacho posted:

"number go up" -- analists

Why do those guys put their two cents in all the time anyway? Just because you like anal that doesn't make your opinion more valuable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Number go down! :peanut:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

McSpanky posted:

What in the holy hell is wrong with their faces

Too much plastic surgery.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Desert Bus posted:

Does anyone have the pic of the dog dick coffee table?

If you google "dog dick coffee table" this is the first result: :nws: https://ircimg.net/UQqrY.jpg :nws:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Speleothing posted:

As someone who took a class once on recycling metals, this is extremely difficult. It takes great technical knowledge, great skill, and great investment in equipment.

The good news is that if you could travel back in time, you'd find that only gullible weirdos were into Bitcoin back then and might have bought the product without knowing any better.

One guy did, then got it assayed and complained when it turned out it wasn't 99% silver.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Muscle Wizard posted:

u got some explainin to do pal

Oh dear. :ohdear:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bits of coin?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If I wasn't doing it someone else would, therefore

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My toenail clippings are rare, portable, and divisible, just like gold! Surely this means everyone will desire them and I am now rich.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Avynte posted:

Yup. I was shocked as heck when some of my highly educated coworkers started talking about wanting to invest a few thousand or more into bitcoin right near its peak. They had heard from similar aged relatives or old college buddies that got in early how it was "easy money! the next big thing!"

Young adults are young. Getting hyped by a get rick quick scam, or watching a relative/friend do it, is how you train your bullshit detector.

"People said the same things about email!" sounds like a compelling argument the first time you hear it. Oh yeah, some people poo-pooed home computers, cell phones, email, etc. People also poo-pooed a lot of other 'innovative' poo poo that went nowhere.

Remember in 2001 when Seqway was going to totally revolutionize personal transportation, except it was dumb, expensive, and impractical? In 1999 the Cue Cat barcode scanner was supposed to be a big deal, except it was incredibly stupid? Peek, an email only device which was one of Time magazine's 50 best inventions of 2008. Laserdisc. Qwikster. Nokia N-Gage. Web TV. Smell-o-Vision. Atari Jaguar. Dreamcast. Gizmondo. CD-i.

It turns out "people don't like Thing" is not a compelling argument that Thing is actually good and will inevitably take over the world. :shrug:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

fentanyl-2-go is not a legitimate business

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

divabot posted:

Yes in fact! Ernst & Young have released their Fourth Report as Monitor in the not-a-bankruptcy. It's 200+ pages. They are pissed. In a very :decorum: way, you understand.

How does it feel when you stop and think about the fact that you've become one of the world's foremost experts on Bitcoin? Like, this is your life now. That's gotta be weird.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hail SatanCoin.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I will have 420 of your finest weasel dusts please.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Did someone say BLOCKCHAIN?

https://www.ibm.com/industries/government/digital-transformation

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Burt Sexual posted:

I read that a day or so ago, it seemed real low on its estimate.

They may have decided a low, but still huge, estimate was best. Harder to deny, and it isn't like the man on the street will be more impressed if you say it uses as much power as three Vegas's, rather than just one.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Powershift posted:

What about anarcho-communism

That seems like it would work fine if it was a small village where there was no official leader or town council and people mostly did their own thing, but disputes or decisions that affect everyone were decided by consensus. It probably won't work on anything bigger than a village of a few hundred where everyone is cousins, because it requires people to cooperate and not be shitlers.

Oh, and it won't work if the neighbours are nation states with standing armies who decide they want your stuff. Even Canada could take your stuff.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

"Counterfeiting is the big problem with conventional money" Is it, though? From my utter pleb perspective it seems like a quite small problem. Nobody I know who works in a cash handling business has ever seen or been questioned about counterfeit bills.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

zedprime posted:

The reason you and retailers don't need to worry about counterfeit bills is because a huge pile of tax revenue is put back into counterfeit prevention and enforcement. It's a game that will be need to be played until the end of currency.

I don't think crytpo is really the solution either, inventing one weird printing trick yearly is good make work at worst and far more enriching in advancing state of the art at best.

Right, it's a problem but I wouldn't consider it the "the big problem". Yeah every country has a law enforcement thingie dedicated to fighting counterfeiting, which is an expense. But when you're talking about fat stacks of physical cash how much is spent on transportation and storage? Or the problem that it is quite easy to steal and usually difficult to identify stolen bills. Or maybe the big problem is that it is so easy to deface, and then it has to be recycled and replaced early?

Wait, no, Spock. Spock is the big problem.

Can't Spock a bitcoin. Checkmate fiatfailures.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Subjunctive posted:

What do you think “the big problem” is, then? Drug contamination? Printing costs? Fire hazard? Arguments about appropriate figureheads?

The big problem is that I don't have enough of it, duh.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This might not be new, I haven't opened Opera in years. But apparently these days Opera comes with a built-in bitcoin wallet. :v:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ilmucche posted:

So the assumption that if the government made nothing illegal that society would establish rules anyway because unbridled do-whatever-you-want would lead to collapse?

“An it harm none do what ye will.” If you assume no bad actors then morality gets real easy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nessus posted:

The idea is that people could organize around the idea that initiating aggression towards other people is intrinsically wrong and would set out to avoid doing that, which would then reduce the hypothetical problem of crime and oppression to the point of being people having seizures or the very occasional genuine lunatic, which can be handled with everyone's mandatory Freedom Gun.

You might ask, "Who defines aggression?" The answer: They do.

I remember some libertarian paradise comic where the libertarians are explaining how their utopian society works with no police or anything.

1. You carry a gun (and whatever other weapons you want, lol). Obviously no one will try to victimize you if you are armed to the teeth.

2. You voluntarily contract with a private security company who acts as the "police" for your property. If people more heavily armed than you try to commit crimes against you then you call these guys. They will come and calm things down or investigate crimes, but they don't have the ability to put people in jail long term, that would be kidnapping and a violation of the NAP.

3. You voluntarily contract with a justice arbitration company. They will have a published set of "laws" they use as guidelines for arbitration. You and the person you are in conflict with have to agree on an arbitration company, pay them, and then they hear your case. There are still no jails, so the every case ends with an award of monetary damages.

4. What if they won't pay?!? Shunning. Seriously, shunning. Everyone on earth agrees to not do business with guys who refuse to pay their debts. They are unable to buy food, ammo, or participate in society while their debts are in default. They have to go work in the asteroid colonies or voluntary debtor's prison to clear their debts and restore their place in society.

Why won't other people trade with them anyway? If you trade with the shunned you become shunned until you stop.
Why won't a Black Market where smugglers secretly trade legit goods for stolen goods immediately pop up? :iiam:
Why won't they just keep doing crimes to support themselves? :iiam:
Why won't a bunch of shunned people make their own society with hookers and blackjack? :iiam:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mmj posted:

NAP is also specifically for physical acts. poo poo in your neighbor's well for a year or deal meth out of an apartment until all the valuables in the neighboring places mysteriously pop up at the local pawnshop? gently caress you, I'm not hurting you so gently caress off. This is what someone who believes the NAP would work actually argued to me. Shockingly, they owned multiple guns too

Edit: I think the comic you're referring to was the probability broach or the reality broach and it also had apes that had been made sentient, which was the most believable part

Yeah that sounds right.

What stops the poor areas from going all Mad Max? Well, uh. . . Look over here, we have blimps!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Paladinus posted:

Bitcoin's true price is 6969.69. It can't fall below that.

$420.69 or bust.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

roarpower posted:

no. I want an explanation. How is this like rape?

lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

roarpower posted:

so putting your money in a FDIC insured back is rape. I am missing something

:cripes: Nobody said money is rape. Not sure if dense or just a troll. 2019 regdate leans toward troll, but just in case;

USD is like teather, except for the backing of the US government.
Sex is like rape, except for consent.

Consent isn't a small detail, it's a big detail. And The US government isn't a small detail, it's a big detail.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

roarpower posted:

so what is teather backed by?

The reputation of the exchange that started printing them in response to being hacked and losing all their poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

roarpower posted:

cool. I can make an exchange and start printing money.

What the gently caress is wrong with you people?

Probably not. In retrospect the getting hacked and losing most of their poo poo was probably a key step. They had a big exchange (bank) with lots of customers. When other exchanges have been hacked or "hacked" they either shut down and everyone loses everything, they give a 'haircut' so all their customers lose 65% (or whatever) of their deposits but no one loses everything.

These guys went the haircut route, but gave all their customers IOU tokens and promised to redeem the IOUs as they could afford to. I think they also allowed people to trade the IOU tokens, so people who had faith that they would eventually make good on all the tokens could buy them at a lower price from people who just wanted some of their money back right now. Which established that people were willing to trade tokens backed by nothing but the company's promise. Then they announced Teather, a token backed 1 to 1 with USD, and paid off all their IOUs with Teather.

All the people who found themselves in possession of Teather had to nod along and go "yes, these are totally worth $1 each" because if Teathers are worthless then their money is really gone. At first there was also some thought that it might be possible to redeem them for dollars some day, or that every Teather was backed by $1 on deposit somewhere, or later by $1 worth of assets. (It later turned out the $1 worth of assets each Teather is backed by is . . . a Teather.)

If you want to start your own IOU token you'll need a way to incentivize people to treat it like it's worth what you say it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

roarpower posted:

you know who did this back in the 1800s? The fuckin federal reserve.

Yes? Everyone knows that.