Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am glad to see the thread is as skeptical about this stuff as I am. Twitter is a god drat hype fest of people trying to pump it by getting more suckers in it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have an old old friend who is very into crypto art and nfts and when I retweeted a couple anti-crypto mining stories I got the whole proof of work -> proof of stake thing which is supposed to solve all environmental issues with mining.. Then I looked it up and they had been planning to move for years (plus most other coins will still be rollin’ coal anyway)

So I don’t tweet that stuff anymore cuz I don’t want to get in a big argument with a friend since elementary school :sigh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

repiv posted:

The other thing is that miners have no incentive to migrate over to the POS network, since they can't make any money from their racks of GPUs after that change, so they'll probably just refuse to update and cause a fork where Ethereum POS and POW both exist at the same time

Yup for sure. What happens then, do the coins values split somehow? It just randomly becomes some other made up bullshit number? Or does nobody even know? lol what a goofy-rear end scheme.

The stuff I'm seeing on twitter where people tokenize tweets to take "ownership" of them is pretty loving weird too. What does any of this digital ownership mean? It seems it is just crypto speculators selling NFTs to each other pumping up the prices and drawing in the rubes who want to get rich quick. I dunno it all seems like such a ridiculously obvious scam to me I don't understand how people fall into it so easily.

e: it seems like an entertaining way to troll a true believer would be to tokenize all their tweets into your wallet.

priznat fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 17, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I love it when crypto wankers say “but it uses 40% renewables!!” (A number clearly just pulled out their rear end) when even if true this could be used to offset actually useful power consumption items.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lol, we have a Winklevoss down, I repeat..

https://twitter.com/zachhazard/status/1374589801882652672

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I listened to the Sway podcast where Kara Swisher interviewed Beeple and it was a bit more nuanced, he seemed to be fairly pro on the concept of NFTs and how digital ownership has just started scratching the surface of what it can be used for, but at the same time he's pretty aware his was an extremely unusual result. He seems mostly just interested in doing more weird artworks about lactating spongebob squarepants or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thought Slime put up a bitcoin/nft related vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFvBCvCl4sk

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh yeah if people are being trafficked then what are their names checkmate :smuggo:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Isn't it known how many bitcoins are out there and by the valuation it's just over $1 trillion, where's the 100 come from? All the other coins combined can't make up the difference can they?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I had assumed the NFT on the blockchain would have a CRC or some other kind of hash, but no? just a link? that, uh, seems stupid.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1378945993681608708

Lol some rich people are so goddamn stupi

E: followup lol

https://twitter.com/logophobe/status/1379078371846414338

priznat fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 5, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

This is good, money doesn't make you happy anyway. Actually, now that I think about it I never really wanted to have the money anyway so you could say Musk and Bitcoin did me a favor here. So, thank you

Lmao, brilliant

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1379642593844326400

lmao

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That guy is literally dracula

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Instead of solving Sudokus to buy heroin you are now storing Sudokus to buy heroin.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lamebot posted:

It's neat seeing the paperclip maximizer scenario unfold before our eyes.

I was thinking yesterday that crypto could be some subtle “dark forest” attack by ETs that they just seed this dumb idea to civilizations and let them just ruin their poo poo with no additional effort on their part.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lol quite the drop immediately following that

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Stoop Kid posted:

It’s crawling back up... I want another bloodbath

Dead cat bounce hopefully

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/bethbourdon/status/1392865275268247561?s=21

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Did grimes nft sales not go well or something

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fukkin lol

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1393338376791658497?s=21

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

the last signal... posted:

why does matt gaetz look like a fat evil johnny knoxville

I thought he looks like those evil ventriloquist dummies from toy story 4 but I see the knoxville resemblance too

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s almost like china knows this poo poo is poison, hmmm

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

military cervix posted:

Pretty fun to see just how culty r/Bitcoin can get whenever there's a crash.

When do they start the sacrifices to the crypto god??

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CoolCab posted:

I suppose at very least the ewaste from chia will be in tiny nvme ssds instead of gigantic graphic cards, although on the other hand there will be a ton more turnover. if they were clever they'd probably plow some money into a recycling program or something if that was feasible, really greenwash that poo poo.

The chiacoiners will just resell the drives after faking the SMART stuff to unsuspecting bargain hunters so they don’t have to worry about recycling anything!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

John_A_Tallon posted:

I'll believe that when some moonboi kills Elon for ruining things. Right now they're all useless people, too chickenshit to stand up for whatever they believe in with actual real-world actions like committing violent crimes or starting a rebellion.

Those billionaires like Musk, Bezos, Zuck are better protected than most world leaders so the chances of some pissed off rando running up on them is pretty drat slim.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Stoop Kid posted:

I need to ask my neighbor how profitable his eth mining set up is now lmaooo gently caress crypto

Ask if he has any GPUs to sell then lowball him massively

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

latinotwink1997 posted:

Then burning fossil fuels is an incentive because more CO2 means more to mine.

Holding my breath to increase the bits.

Lmao this is exactly what would happen.

I live in the burbs and often see recycling binners looking for cans driving a van from box to box and leaving it idling while they get out to check a box for deposit cans and wonder how it compares ROI to the average coin miner.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gonna be a lot of :smuggo:s but really how can one be smug about happening to guess right (for now) about something that is random chance at this point.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Made me chuckle

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1400866477834575872

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s funny because she is really devoted to her crazy grift and he seems to not give a poo poo about anything anymore (except bitcoin)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ah the final nail in the coffin that is the cobbled together string of barbed wire and coffee can transformers that is the texas power grid

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Burn fields of oil to mine Trumpcoins while shooting yourself in the balls to earn Guncoin to own the libs!

Ooh make it so you mine guncoin by melting down your guns to mint a coin then offer to buy all their guncoin and stick them up because they don't have their guns anymore, the perfect crime.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MechaCrash posted:

I wonder how many more high profile accidents we need before people start thinking "you know, I should at least put on some sweatpants in case the camera falls over or an unexpected emergency happens."

In Canada we have a member of parliament who has been caught twice on his own web camera, first time fully nude after changing post-workout and the other time he pissed in a coffee mug during a meeting because going to the actual bathroom would be too hard or something.

People voted for this guy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

He's not monetizing it on onlyfans tho!! Sheesh got no head for this game.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Actually this is good for bitcoin. Thin out the hodlers, your hodling coins go up up up!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Party Boat posted:

If (when?) tether goes down that'll trigger a pretty huge crash across all crypto, right?

Actually that is good for Bitcoin

:haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

:rip: John McAfee, he finally ate his own dick

He’s loving whales in heaven now

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Karia posted:

They will legitimately cheer because this causes deflation.

Wonder why there aren’t more hits put out by coiners on other coiners. Murder for hire is one of the things you can spend btc on directly right?? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

This post is DMCA protected

Too late I minted in into an NFT and sold it to a crypto speculator for $50