Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

yes and some goons and birdsite users that said its really lovely and sort like digital colonialism.

It is genuinely "what if you could hurt an NPC's feelings," there is no other reason to have a player handle an NPC's duties in an MMO except for being able to receive and respond to unplanned player actions, all of which would be abuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Aramis posted:

The value of a stock is, in theory, value_of_company / # of shares. So when you remove shares from the market, the value of the other shares increase so that the market cap is maintained.

Rubes are treating crypto tokens as if it worked the same way, and grifters make use of that to fool people into thinking that their investments are paying off. They do it by sending the tokens they want to remove from the market to a wallet no one will ever be able to own. Mind you, these burned tokens were never going to be "in the market" in the first place.

But the way they calculate the total value of a token is last sale per token times number of tokens

Surely destroying a token makes the value go down

Somfin fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 4, 2022

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

used airplane tickets no less

Gary Vee is a cocaine elemental, but boring

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Dude literally thinks the lovely artwork is the NFT, and not the token? Is he really that clueless about the thing he's supposedly an expert on?

Yes. Doing research is a waste of time. Boring cocaine elemental.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wasn't one bit about this that the person they're talking about isn't in the photo? If not, I genuinely cannot tell which one of the people is the "fake ape" but cinematography suggests that it's the dude in yellow

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

syntaxfunction posted:

My brain wants to say "there's no way they'd allow such a dumb loophole" but this is crypto so I will ask a question.

Let's say a guy takes out a loan for a BILLION funbucks to buy a lovely ape jpeg. The funbucks get transferred, the ape is bought, and then let's say the ape is then sold to a TOTALLY UNRELATED ACCOUNT for one funbuck. The original account is then just abandoned and no repayment ever made.

In the real world there's all sorts of protections for this. I have no idea what the hell cryptobros would do. "Oh I made a deal with a straight shooter and they asked me to send the funbucks to a new account, never used, and I did."

Knowing how these folks write code, the initial loan contract hits an unhandled exception when it tries to withdraw the billion funbux and silently fails, and it takes a full week for the lender to notice the missing billion because he's blitzed out of his mind and has spent the intervening time jacking it to AI art that very vaguely looks like lola bunny with a dumptruck rear end

In the real world, you check for stuff like "what if it fails" but that's just negative thinking in the crypto space, which is why so many DRO projects struggle to give refunds- they never think that they'll fail in the initial attempt so why would anyone want anything back out of the system? (At least, that's the useful excuse)

Somfin fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 4, 2022

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jose Valasquez posted:

it's mostly ethereum which is proof of stake now, so now it's easier to laugh at the people scamming each other because it's not burning a barrel of oil every time they do it

Per user per year it's still on par with YouTube.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
The Roguelike thread is fuckin awful because there's a contingent of posters who really don't feel like they've made their opinions on metaprogression clear yet and derail the thread to hash things out again every time a game with or without it gets posted

Imagine if this thread gave "but the underlying technology" posters the time of day rather than telling them to piss off

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

an iksar marauder posted:

Each metaprogression discussion in the roguelike thread is self contained without knowledge carried over from the previous ones, you’re looking for the rogueLITE thread

Goddamn that's actually funny

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

Forging new alloys is lower status than being the industrialist who funded the forging of new alloys.

Have you considered being the advisor who convinced the industrialist to make that investment?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

lol if anyone thinks any of that money has been spent on military equipment.

4 million in cryptocurrency here meaning approx. 4k cash if they decide to use it

There was an interesting point raised on one of my podcasts that the only time the US government is interested in enforcing laws around crypto is when it might break a sanction; as long as it's citizens preying on citizens they're fine with it

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Barreft posted:

Yesterday we had the first lecture in the Open Metaverse, an NFT course by University of Nicosia

At least 600 people were present

Some web3 is going greater than others – the word "Open" is important

Source your quotes or explain your jargon, this is a space that is laden with assumptions

What is an "NFT course?"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Salt Fish posted:

"In 2014, UNIC became the first university in the world to offer a Master of Science in Blockchain & Digital Currency and the first educational institution to accept Bitcoin for tuition payment.[1] As of the graduating class of Spring 2017, UNIC publishes all diplomas of its graduating students (Bachelors, Masters, doctoral degrees) on the Bitcoin blockchain, offering instant online verification of degree authenticity."

So it's a course where the qualification is stored on the blockchain. Not what I was expecting.

Like, you know that you can lie just as easily about a blockchain degree as an actual university degree right? The other side doing the checking is still a person and they'll probably care or not care based on the interview. Having your degree on the chain would probably make you less employable to a lot of companies.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

duffmensch posted:

How exactly would you be searching the blockchain for a specific person - would they be expected to download however large it’s gotten (or just have someone say they saw it it and “yeah, it’s legit!”)?

It'd be trivial to check if a given element is currently present on a blockchain because all it will be is an API written by that university that quietly sets a local database value to true once and stays that way.

The Bitcoin aspect is funny though because it becomes a space where easily duped rubes who thought a Bitcoin degree was a good idea will be identified by name forever and can never scrub that info.

E:^ phew lol, was worried we had a live one

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
As with most of these tech projects, there's an unspoken "once we become the monopoly on [concept] the folks who got in early will be bazillionaires" which is what they're actually selling to the investors; this isn't meant to be an alternative to degrees, it's meant to replace them at a concept level

It's tech bros who think that the problem is insufficient transactions building toll booths in front of bridges they don't own, on the assumption that all the other roads will be destroyed.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 10, 2022

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
The famous thing about Rogue is that you have to live with your mistakes. You can't make a save, try something, and then load it later if it turned out to be bad. At its core, this is what a rogue-like needs to do, because all of the famous aspects of rogue that became part of the genre stem from this core drive.

The creator was just sick of savescummers making things like traps and cursed items into non-issues.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm often reminded of the 'sound money' idea... thing which seems to consist entirely of circular reasoning with sprinkles of antisemitism. Crypto people ultimately end up incredibly tedious because pretty much all of what they say is empty buzzword salad, and it's hard to tell how much they genuinely believe in it all the more because of its incoherence.

Not sprinkles, that's the core of it

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Where the gently caress did they dig up more special features footage from

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
One of the recurring traits of folks who get super into crypto is that they are deeply insecure about their lack of technical knowledge in the field. They're easily swayed by anyone telling them what they already want to believe and therefore end up believing some incredibly stupid things, and they lack the breadth of understanding necessary to detect bullshit.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Meta dropped the crypto stuff out of their metaverse project, so take that as an indicator of how interested the real money is

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Considering the legendary amounts of money already wasted that does say a lot.

Rotate in your mind, if you will, the sort of investor who is still on board with the metaverse but considers crypto enough of a lost cause to demand it be dropped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

all the investors are wailing and gnashing their teeth as they watch their money being shoveled into the metaverse furnace, they hate it. zuckerberg would be out on the curb right now if the all shareholders weren't dumb-dumbs who knowingly bought non-voting shares which leave all control in zucks hands because he was clearly a randian ubermensch of infinite vision

Apparently a bunch of their engineers are paid in stock with a four year vesting period