Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

extra stout posted:

as beaver pointed out nerds observed the fed printing money and making up new rules as they went and thought "that doesn't seem so hard" and they were right, the only thing keeping half the country from using one of the e-currencies is they have no marketing, it's confusing, and at any moment the fed will eventually hit it harder than JFK

Lol I agree with all of this, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

gently caress the ROW posted:

Here's how bitcoin works:
* you put money in to "buy a bitcoin" because you're a moron that didn't read
* no one will ever pay you money to take it out
* I'm not allowed to say this in GBS

It is still (still [still {still}]) trivially easy to get money for Bitcoin but that doesn't change how bad an investment it is.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waltzing Along posted:

Ask yourself, if you had invested $100 in 10 bitcoins a few years back, would you have? I mean knowing what you do now?

If you found yourself magically transported through time to 2012 with only the knowledge that you have now, you'd be dumb not to. You'd be dumb not to throw every dime you had into bitcoin in the first run-up, sell at $1000, then rebuy in at $200 and sell again today. Knowledge of how things went for the past five years doesn't make buying into it today a good idea.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cease to Hope posted:

also the part where if you bought bitcoins in 2012 you probably had them in an exchange that ended up robbing everyone

If you were dumb enough to keep your funds on an exchange in 2012, I feel sorry for you. If you were transported through time and somehow made the same mistake, you're too retarded to live.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cease to Hope posted:

so how exactly are you cashing out bitcoins without using an exchange

are you the guy trading them for a pile of gift cards in a parking lot

You move them to an exchange only when you want to sell, limiting your exposure. For being a bunch of geniuses you sure are having trouble understanding how a literal time machine would make it near impossible to lose.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CopperHound posted:

I'd rather use the Big Mac index when comparing currencies. If I can buy 1500 Big Macs with $6000USD, how many can I buy with 1 bitcoin?

If you can wait a day or so, probably 1495.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burt Sexual posted:

You keep saying Coinbase, like its the only feasible way to cash out. seems like having one bank in the entire nation to do business with. that wouldn't lead to any issues down the road no sir

There are two exchanges where it's easy to cash out, coinbase and gdax. That there are only two is a problem, yes.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burt Sexual posted:

Do I have to mail them my passport, birth certificate, drivers license, and ssn card still too? (aka identity theft starter pack)

For coinbase at least you need a photo ID, which is a reasonable standard for prevention of money laundering. My bank required more than that and my identity hasn't managed to get stolen yet.

edit: I managed to sell my one bitcoin that I bought in 2014 for about $4800 in profit. The money has already landed in my account. I'll let you know if my identity gets stolen over it.

CassandraZara fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 25, 2017

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well I got out early at $5400 but I can't really be too sad, it was basically found money from 2014 after all.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

maybe don't talk about books that you clearly haven't even read

personally I'm waiting for the movie

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don't think anyone profited on Bitcoin in 2015 or 2016, and the 2017 tax year isn't over yet. But yeah I'm not surprised that nobody reports it. I've got a CPA so I just let her handle it all.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FulsomFrank posted:

I've never heard this one before. Is this a calculation of all the estimated electricity costs that went into the entire process from start to finish?

I believe it is based on the average total hash rate for a transaction period (a known quantity), how much electricity it costs to produce that many hashes (an estimate, and I would guess that they use a low estimate for this, but it varies depending on the process, for instance a Javascript Bitcoin miner is less efficient than an ASIC), and an estimate for how much that electricity costs (I almost always see 10c per kwh, my own residential rate is 14c though).

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ywbbpm/bitcoin-mining-electricity-consumption-ethereum-energy-climate-change

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

divabot posted:

electricity/hardware/building/etc costs will always approximate what the miner can sell the resulting BTC for - because the whole history of economics shows people spending up to $99.99 to make $100, and if they spend $101 to make $100 too much they go broke.

mmm, I don't like that explanation nearly as much as mine, because there exist reasons to mine at a loss (money laundering, stealing electricity)

edit: it also suggests that Visa's fees are as high as they are because they need to be to remain solvent, and not because of the profit they make

CassandraZara fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 17, 2017

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

divabot posted:

The competitive pressure on Visa re: fees is not other card companies (it's a pretty cosy oligopoly) but other ways to pay. With Bitcoin mining, it's a market in resource wastage, because that's what PoW is designed to be.

I don't know why you think that makes your original explanation correct.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

divabot posted:

because it is. What's wrong with it?

Because people have reasons to mine at a loss! God I hope your book is full of this "because I said so" reasoning.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

divabot posted:

I have personally made more money from Bitcoin than a lot of the enthusiasts, without ever having touched one:

MarketWatch: The reasons Americans give for buying bitcoin show they have no idea what they’re doing

If it really means anything that you've made a mid-four-figure amount from Bitcoin (and it must because you keep repeating it), you should know that Adar has made millions from poker (including a piece of a poker site), prediction markets, and other speculative investments.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uranium 235 posted:

it could have something to do with the Bank Secrecy Act since $10,000 is the threshold that banks are required to check ID and generate a report. coinbase isn't a bank but they still have to comply with anti-money laundering laws.

edit: hmm actually that doesn't make sense, if you can withdraw $10k then obviously they aren't worried about that

Also if you take more than $10k in a way deliberately designed to avoid those reports, that's called structuring and is also illegal.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stefan Prodan posted:

Poker sites like to send exactly $9500 out max for withdrawals sometimes, but I've always just declared all the income and never had a problem. I assume if you are being transparent about it and not doing it to hide income they probably don't come after you? I dunno though

If the poker site has that as it's limit then there's nothing you can do about it, would be my argument. If they're willing to do business in the United States then they're already playing fast and loose with the law.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MurderBot posted:

So my question is: Will bitcoins ever drop down to like $50 again so I can buy like 10 of em and then wait for them to increase in value to like 100,000 so I can make tons of cash?

I don't wanna work and I'd rather just make a bit of money, not a lot of money but some so I can be semi rich and live the suburb lifestyle

You can buy $500 worth now and hope it grows to a million bucks, it's probably more likely than the scenario you've laid out.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't wait until we really can turn lead into gold but it takes 0.13% of all the world's electricity to do it.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
john titor predicted this

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

Wheres a link to see it go up and down?

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/#charts

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think goons once again called the death of Bitcoin early.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know, seemed like some people smelled blood and we're looking their chops already.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

gary oldmans diary posted:

the phrase is licking their chops. as in what a dog does when it salivates upon anticipating food

there were two autocorrect errors in that post

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

gary oldmans diary posted:

oh i wasnt trying to correct you. autocorrect wrote my whole post

much like you're posting...

...damnit

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This one made me laugh pretty good

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

If a drug dealers wallet is compromised then it's trivial for law enforcement to see literally every single transaction and who it came from. I have no idea where this nonsense about Bitcoin being anonymous came from. The blockchain is completely public.

If you're talking about looking it up on the blockchain, then all they have is a wallet address. Sure, they might be able to trace those coins back to something like Coinbase who might be able to be subpoenaed and might give that information up, or Coinbase might tell them to gently caress off. If you just bought them from your buddy, who bought them from their buddy, and so on, then the trail could run cold.

If you're talking about they're literally in the drug dealer's home and he has your home address written down somewhere, you'd run into the same problem if you mailed him a stack of cash.

Cash is better for buying drugs though and who doesn't know a drug dealer in real life, lol.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm gonna buy a kitty but not because of Bitcoin, because they're cute.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

willroc7 posted:

what the gently caress is going on in this thread

Kitties

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wanted to buy kittys but they're all too expensive now.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have too many real kittys as is.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Facebook's lack of content creation and lack of payment for content creators is why it'll never catch up to YouTube though.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fried Watermelon posted:

Bitcoin industry is keeping the graphics card industry artificially high, pricing out the majority of gamers

why aren't bitcoiners mad at this

Bitcoin industry is driving innovation in number of boob polygons that can be rendered per second in my new Steam games.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did they ever resolve that issue with like a million ethereum that were lost due to some guy accidentally deleting a line of code? I'd have to say that if I had a lot of faith in crypto, that would have shaken it.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well if they got their money back then it's all good but otherwise there's like a lot of money just fading into the ether...

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It was like 300 million, but that was Good For Ethereum because it only made them more rare!

Sounds like a Cobra Commander scheme. "All I have to do is destroy the world supply of ethereum and then I'll be the only one who has any!!!"

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rule 7: Bitcoin can't handle more than seven transactions per second

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ilmucche posted:

So how do the exchanges work? Do you post I have 1 bitcoin and am willing to sell for 17500 dollars, and then people who want to buy 0.1 bit coin pop in and at they'll pay 1750, 0.01 for 175 etc until your 1 bit coin has been sold off?
Or do you say "I am selling one bitcoin" which goes into the open market along with the other coins and people can buy out of the pot? If someone wants to buy 0.00000001 btc 1000 times but the transaction fee is 0.0001 btc do you get screwed out of 0.1 btc? Who pays the fee?

An exchange doesn't do its trades on the block chain, so the transaction fee is whatever the exchange decides. On bittrex it's 0.25% paid by both the buyer and seller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nessus posted:

What's up with all these wash-trades bots I keep seeing whenever I look at this idiocy on the twitter box?

I don't know why I'm quoted here but i don't know, it's probably a scam