Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
What's gonna happen when the Bitcoin bubble pops?

Like could it wreck the economy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
So the BTC bubble popping shouldn't be too big of a deal for real finance but there's still the possibility because its gotten its hooks into the real world. Well that makes sense for hellworld :shobon:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Stealthgerbil posted:

Get ready for a run on hard drives and high end SSDs thanks to Chia coin. Chia was made by the dude who invented bit torrent and it uses a different consensus and farming method which they say is more green but we all know that's not true. If you give a person a 40amp breaker they will max it no matter what. Its like instead of brute forcing hashes every single time to crack the next block, you plot out your hashes using high end NVMe SSDs onto hard drives that sit mostly idle and then each block everyone presents their already made hashes and whoever matches gets the reward. A sata hard drive uses like 5-8w of power instead of like 300w for a video card. Its a cool concept but you know what is even cooler? Sending an ACH transfer.

I'm so tired of these people.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

it didn't occur to me that art thieves could get any lower

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Crypto poo poo is stuffed full of scandals of "crypto bankers" cashing out their buttcoins and stealing money from stupid people. I recall a high profile incident where a Middle Earth themed crypto vault was looted and some fucker with the username "Treebeard" had to apologize and explain to buttcoiners how "Gandalf" had pulled the wool over his eyes, cashed out the buttcoins, and ran away with the investors' money. And because its all unregulated there was no way to punish him for it or even track him down.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
You're not going to win over anyone in this thread.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Bitcoin is still only worth anything when its sold for a national currency. If the dollar or any other currency collapsed tomorrow then Bitcoin would be useless. Like most things its totally reliant on real world money to be worth anything.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
send me your money and I'll get some bitcoin for you

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Laopooh posted:

I am interested in some doges to use the scant remainder of my bidenbux on. Where should I forward my payment info?

(I do want to buy a few, dunno where to get them though and goons are infinitely better than google so I thought I'd ask ^^)

Sure thing, I just need your social security number, a copy of your driver's license, and your credit card information as well as the security code on the back

the most trusted place to get bitcoin is Coinbase atm. You should be careful though because bitcoin will be taxable income very soon.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
At this point I don't know what inflation actually is or if its a good or bad thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Somfin posted:

The trick to understanding it is to think of debts not as "a thing you hold on to" but as "negative money sitting in your bank account."

Inflation is when the purchasing power of a currency drops, usually caused by the total amount of that currency increasing. Debts are usually written out to be worth an amount of currency, so if the purchasing power of a currency drops, the value of that debt shrinks as well- if it takes ten dollars to buy what used to cost five dollars, it also only takes five dollars to pay off a debt that would now cost ten dollars. Properly managed inflation comes with increased wages to match that inflation, so usually this means that the effect of inflation is to reduce both fortunes and debts over time. Inflation is fundamentally progressive, since it gradually pushes everything back toward real equality.

Deflation is the opposite; when a currency's purchasing power grows over time, fortunes get bigger, but debts get bigger too.

Inflation has an obvious, slightly bad side (the money sitting in your bank account is worth less day to day, and prices of things increase over time) and a non-obvious, very good side (the money sitting in rich folks' bank accounts is worth way less day to day, which encourages them to loving get rid of it and pour it into industry and investment, and the negative money sitting in your bank account takes less work to zero out). Deflation is the opposite- your money is worth more, prices go down, and rich people hoard all of their money forever while your debts become impossible to ever pay off.

Does devaluing rich folks money help me get a new apartment so I can move out of my parents home again (thanks rona) or fix big gas prices that I can't afford to pay which means I might not be able to drive to an interview? Prices on everything are going up and have completely outpaced me.

It seems like playing these games with debt is a bad thing. I can see why deflation doesn't actually help anyone and sometimes nations need to take out loans but if you don't have debt then you don't need to play silly buggers games with debt. The way you explain it makes it seem like its all a big justification for the government taking out massive loans to bomb Afghanistan or something, which is what we really do with it instead of making rich people uncomfortable. Rich people seem pretty happy with this stuff.

I'm not trying to be insulting, I just don't understand how this would benefit me at all when I'm poor as hell.

Klyith posted:

Shorter and sweeter:

Mmoderate inflation is good because it encourages investment, and investment (in the capitalism sense) is one of the few ways humanity has discovered an "everybody wins" scenario that
1. scales beyond a family or village or clan
2. is a self-organizing system
3. isn't fighting an uphills battle against human nature

Daddy Warbucks finances the construction of FactoryCo's new factory with a loan. Daddy Warbucks wins if the loan is good and FactoryCo pays him back with interest. The owners of FactoryCo win because they have a new factory. The employees of FactoryCo win because a new factory is more jobs. Everyone wins. (But Daddy Warbucks wins the most, which is the one big flaw in the system.)

Daddy Warbucks' motivation for risking his money on loans is because, if he doesn't, his money will dwindle to inflation. In the world of bitcoin, Daddy Warbucks sits on his hoard and gloats. He is rich today and will be equally or more rich tomorrow, with zero effort.

I gotcha, so inflation is a natural byproduct of an economic system that makes a lot of money. Hence there being more money in circulation because there are more people working who get paid, etc.

With Bitcoin Daddy Warbucks also can try to play tax evasion schemes for when he cashes out or when he sends his friends money for them to cash out on I guess.