Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it sounds really weird to me to think about someone who does amateur work on their house calling themselves a carpenter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Probably has to do with how many amateurs there are of something, how likely you are to know an amateur and talk about it in casual conversation, etc.

I'm pretty sure whether something like "carpenter", "blogger", etc implies a professional status is different from word to word and probably also from person to person so I don't think either person in this dumb argument is actually being that ridiculous

Because like uranium said, no one hears "Yeah I'm a runner" and thinks that person is a pro, but "carpenter" sounds professional. Honestly, if someone said "I'm a fisherman", that sounds professional to me too! I would expect them to say "I like to fish" if they were an amateur. But again I think it can vary person to person, how you interpret it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

exploded mummy posted:

I call then grover

lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dog Jones posted:

How come the creator of bitcoin won't come out in public

he sold all his bitcoin at $10 then suicided when it was at $1000

(maybe)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I will say about bitcoin, and again I make no predictions about its price, that I have been asked about it out of nowhere by both my 70 year old dad and my late 50s classical guitar teacher who I don't think is any sort of tech guy so I mean by the time people like that are talking about buying it, it seems like the cat is out of the bag as far as finding more people to buy but who knows

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You mean the point at which it's about to be accepted by more retailers and countries and reserve banks and hedge funds are getting into it and square is about to offer payments using it, clearly the ship has sailed just like it had at $2500, and again at $5000

Is square offering payments using it, or is square being paid dollars by a third party that will be the one actually accepting the bitcoins, like bitpay?

Also maybe I wasn't clear but neither person that asked me about it was interested in owning bitcoin or using it to exchange for goods, both of them simply brought it up because they heard it was going up and wanted to get in on it going up in value, without really knowing anything about it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

mojo1701a posted:

This is what I still don't understand about Bitcoin: if it's a currency, then it's a terrible one because its value keeps changing (Imagine not knowing if your dollar will be worth $1.20 or $0.50 tomorrow).

If it's a commodity whose value comes from speculation, then what does it do? Gold, oil, wheat, etc. does something that people will pay for.

To be fair, the intrinsic value of gold as a thing for electricity or whatever is like pennies on the dollar of what it's worth now

Gold's current price really has nothing to do with its actual intrinsic value afaik, maybe some finance smarty pants can correct me

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

COMRADES posted:

Gold is (or historically was) fairly rare, difficult to purify, and had a ton of other special properties as a metal (doesn't oxidize, doesn't blacken, etc) that made it desirable. The coins weren't worth more than the value of the gold used to produce them though. In general the value of a commodity is based on the value of what end products you can make from it and jewelry has always been worth a lot to people.

But it is actually fairly rare and difficult to extract as far as elements in the Earth's crust go and you don't need a whole lot of it for those electronics applications. Yeah there's definitely a certain element of "just because people are willing to pay a lot for it." It's pretty and shiny.

The thing is gold has been used as a currency for thousands of years so while you can maybe make the argument that BTC might have some kind of "intrinsic" value to people if it becomes widely adopted this is also wildly speculative and shouldn't be used as the basis to drop a whole ton of money into it as it is definitely not an apples to apples comparison for that and other reasons.

e: Gold wasn't also valued by everyone like I'm pretty sure S. Americans used cocoa pods as currency and gold was plentiful and mostly used in art stuff (iirc?)

ee: Honestly imo it is kind of a lovely investment too sorry gold people

Can't you say the same thing about salt though? Salt has a lot of intrinsic value and at one point in history was worth a ton but now it has the same intrinsic value and nobody is asking for their ~salary~ to get paid in salt anymore

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

COMRADES posted:

The difference is salt is very easy to mass produce now and region doesn't matter so much (except for fancy cooking salts) and gold's production is more or less at the peak with very small increases year to year with an increasing demand as it is used in electronics and whatnot. Salt was also hugely valuable as a way to preserve foods that would otherwise spoil quickly but we have refrigeration now.

Salt wasn't ever worth more than gold, anyway. But yeah I mean if we find a massive gold deposit or meteor and mine it or whatever then the price of gold will drop like a stone. Spain hosed themselves bad like that shipping all the gold they could from the Americas and then crashing the price of it and impoverishing their kingdom.

Yeah I guess that makes sense, it has the same intrinsic like usefulness but not value since we have refrigeration and can get salt a lot easier anyway

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Adar posted:

I've felt like it was going to be any week now the entire time I've been in and still think it's going to be soon, but it's not going to happen in the month before or in the first little while after Wall Street, which is either insanely long on BTC or staying away from it, pours all the money in the world on the pile. virtually every other time period is insanely risky but I pulled out my initial capital months ago so who cares

in fact, making insanely risky bets for a small enough fraction of your net worth in a bubble is possibly the biggest +EV life changing move you can make - while the bubble runs virtually everything you do will print money, so as long as you keep taking $ off the table and accept that you're going to lose most of the rest, the amount you take off should still be life changing if it lasts long enough

playing a game where you lose X 90% of the time and make 100X the rest should really be a no brainer for most people but vOv risk aversion

I generally agree with that, although I mean I don't know how anyone could have predicted with any real reasoning that it could ever get up to $10k or whatever.

Like, I don't really see a reason that it couldn't have just stalled out at $100 or $1000 or $3000 or any other number I guess

I know a lot of other poker people that have a lot of bitcoin and I'm certainly not anti-sweating any of them, I hope they make money, I'd just rather put my money into real life businesses and real estate stuff where I can estimate the EV a lot better.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Of interest to this thread:

https://lendedu.com/blog/investing-in-bitcoin

One particular lol:

7. At what price per Bitcoin would you be willing to sell all of your Bitcoin investment?

On average, respondents reported that they would be willing to sell all of their Bitcoin investment at $196,165.79 per Bitcoin. At the time of the survey completion, the price per Bitcoin was $6,490.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Haha yeah well everything connected to finance is a scam in one way or the other so it fits

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bortcoin?! You got to be kidding me...

My coin is also named Bort

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Uranium 235 posted:

yeah making money is stupid

People are just saying that just because you made money doesn't mean it was a good trade

Since you are a Person Who Trades But Not Professionally I know you know this.

It's possible that it was a good trade!!

But you can't prove that it was or wasn't in retrospect, the variables are not knowable. Even if the variables were all knowable, if the person who bought bitcoin back then didn't know them and only bought them based on "this thing went up to $10 I bet it will keep going up" based on nothing but that, I would say personally that's not a good trade. Adar's right that it's fine to take fliers on things, but I don't even know how you'd begin to approximate what the max return on bitcoin would be or its likelihood of getting there. For all we know, ever even getting above $100 could have been a 1 in 100 event that came through.

I'm happy for that guy that made the 1.8 million worth of bitcoin, good for him. It's good when good things happen to people. That doesn't mean that buying 200 BTC whenever was an intelligent investment, he basically bought a lottery ticket and won. And that's great, I hope he enjoys the financial security. I just hope he doesn't think that he's like a super intelligent investor now.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CassandraZara posted:

Also if you take more than $10k in a way deliberately designed to avoid those reports, that's called structuring and is also illegal.

Poker sites like to send exactly $9500 out max for withdrawals sometimes, but I've always just declared all the income and never had a problem. I assume if you are being transparent about it and not doing it to hide income they probably don't come after you? I dunno though

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MurderBot posted:

So my question is: Will bitcoins ever drop down to like $50 again so I can buy like 10 of em and then wait for them to increase in value to like 100,000 so I can make tons of cash?

I don't wanna work and I'd rather just make a bit of money, not a lot of money but some so I can be semi rich and live the suburb lifestyle

Well, if bitcoins ever become the dominant currency of the world, each one will be worth like millions of dollars so it's got plenty of room!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol you took a professional IQ test

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
haha goons told me not to buy a lottery ticket but I matched 4 and won $1000 so goons are loving idiots

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Adar posted:

honestly the fact that 2010 meme internet split into buttcoiners and bitcoiners and goons wound up on the funny side while the alt-right chanlords accidentally wound up with a collective billion dollars more than us is kinda infuriating but also pretty much a microcosm of the collective business sense of somethingawful dot com

hey man I'm inured to this poo poo I had to watch Jamie Gold win like 8 million dollars as you know lol

in fact a good part of poker is just watching ridiculous dumb asses win tons of money

I'm happy for most of the bitcoiners, I'm sure a lot of them are just normal people who wanted to gamble on something and won so I mean that's cool. I'm sure there are some extreme idiots and jerks who have tons of money now but it certainly won't be the first time in the world that someone from one of those camps got tons of money

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hello, this is a few sentence summary of what I've been trying to explain to many goons since the summer

The buttcoin jokes are great, uhh, but in this case buttcoiners picked the wrong thing to make fun of, and now a bunch of fedora redditors that were being mocked made a ton of cash

yeah lol

but I can laugh at the fact that we were all wrong about the result while still not really feeling like we were wrong about whether it was a good investment or not

to me it's no different than if some blustery idiot said IM GONNA GO TO VEGAS AND BET IT ALL ON BLACK 5 TIMES IN A ROW BABY and then did it and won

wow feel like I'm just posting the same thing over and over to ham sandwiches this is really surprising

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Let me paraphrase real quick:
"I wasn't really wrong, in all my claims and predictions, which turned out to be incorrect, and anyone that listened to my advice would have lost money and anyone that ignored me would have made money. Anyway I feel I was still correct (lol) and somehow this is is your fault, Ham Sandwiches"

my man have you heard of the term "results based thinking"

you are also, as usual, putting "claims and predictions" in my mouth that I never made

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I offered you like a $100 bounty to find a post where I ever said "nobody who invests in bitcoin will make money" or "it will never go up a bunch", and I still hold to that, if you can ever find me saying something like that then you can actually make money off bitcoin just like you always dreamed

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I do kinda wish bitcoin had a phenomenon like being locked limit down for 2 weeks just to watch everyone sweat if it crashes

instead I guess it''ll happen in like a day or two span if it does

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

vortmax posted:

Not just tax avoiders. Once they can tie addresses to people, they can follow all coins that passed through those addresses and went to (for example) Silk Road.

also I think he means tax evaders

which is a pretty big difference

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i'm gonna be the jerk that tells you guys it actually is a rickroll, sorry if you genuinely believed that a man ate his own testicle

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
And I mean again as someone pointed out, way less anonymous than just using cash lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The page actually is crap though, when I signed up for it a few months ago it kept failing to accept my driver's license photo which was perfectly readable and there was no one to talk to about it since they don't really have support

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

COMRADES posted:

When I click here it just takes me to the "why do I need to upload my ID?" page.

this is the same problem I had and I never saw any server outage message about it, it was months ago also

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

LinYutang posted:

Short sell bitcoin if yall think it's a bubble and gonna pop! do it!

bitcoin price isn't really predictable in either direction which is why it's not a good investment, nobody here is saying it won't go up or that it will crash at any certain time, despite Ham Sandwiches trying to force those words into everyone's mouth with all the possible force in the universe

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

lazorexplosion posted:

If yall think me betting all my savings on black is bad idea, why don't you bet all your savings on red? Oh you won't do that either? Looks like I'm proven right again :smuggo:

This is a good comparison thank you

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

LinYutang posted:

Except that Bitcoin Will Definitely Fail so there is no downside

Short the crypto, do it

literally nobody has said that bitcoin will fall in a predictable time frame

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

"Lmao this is a total ponzi scheme based on absolutely nothing, not backed by governments, no intrinsic value, can't even use it for transactions - literally worthless beanie babies and tulips in digital form"

"Why not bet against it"

"Hey hey let's not be too hasty!"

do you seriously not understand what I'm saying or are you being purposefully dense

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

This summer I think I had about a dozen people dropping the masterful burn of "Why don't you invest all your savings into Bitcoin" when I was posting "I'm thinking Bitcoins are not a scam"

just enjoying the turnabout

that wasn't me though

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Please consider yourself a proxy in this exchange for those that did :patriot:

lol dude this has been your entire gimmick since I have replied to you at all in this thread or the previous one

EVERY SINGLE TIME I reply to you, you reply to me as if instead of one person I'm this amalgam of "goons" that are just glommed into one poster to you

in addition to your weird rear end thing of reading the word "cryptos" when someone says specifically "bitcoin" when it suits your argument

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this is like really cliche but I think Ham Sandwiches just seems kinda autistic tbh

I don't even mean this to be insulting

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

They're a new form of digital currency with different characteristics that allows them to be used in different ways than fiat money. People focus on these differences and only highlight the drawbacks compared to fiat money. I think it's cool to see alternatives to paper money that is issued and managed by governments and while it's still early days and all the bumps of cryptos are pretty obvious, my take is they'll turn out pretty useful long term.

that's the thing though almost all of the discussion has been about why bitcoin is bad, not cryptos in general

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

nexous posted:

Is that $7,000 still in an exchange or in your bank account? Honestly curious if you are able to get it into actual USD.

That amount is pretty easy to withdraw

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

wit posted:

The thing I love most about bitcoin people is that they're not just offended when people question its stability, they get angry and panic because people questioning the stability of bitcoin might make it more unstable. Every time you say "lol bitcoin" someone panics and checks the current rate in case someone heard.

lol it's like roko's basilisk but a currency instead

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

nexous posted:

That's what people keep saying. But I haven't proof of a sucessful withdrawl (to the US) that didn't end in someones bank freezing their account. Surely someone in this thread must have extracted a large amount of money from Bitcoin into USD and can show us a line item in their bank account? I don't doubt that its technically possible, I would just like to see it.

I have personally withdrawn 40k from btc to usd from poker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It was like 9500 twice and 20k once