Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

https://electroneum.com/

here you go assholes, if consuming an Irelands' worth of power for bitcoin wasn't enough, now you can waste your smartphone battery and lifespan as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Well, here's what I don't do. I don't give people garbage advice telling them to run, not walk, from digital currencies that they can mine with their spare GPU cycles in their own bedroom out of a misguided idea that I know better and I'm saving the ignorant masses from themselves.

I love this interpretation of computing power, 'spare GPU cycles', as if your computer not constantly consuming the largest possible amount of electricity is just letting it go to waste

also "a misguided idea that I know better and I'm saving the ignorant masses from themselves" literally describes all your posts

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

hey nerd who wrote a book about Bitcoin, I bought it.

i bought one and i bought one for a friend. good words. a nice inoculation to the insanity, it's seriously rotten to the core with all that goldbug libertarian nonsense

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Up 10% in a day, that actually mean 10bill in coins bought in 12hrs? Who the gently caress is that

That’s really not how it works. The ‘market cap’ is just the number of coins multiplied by the current price. So you don’t have to actually do anything other than a bunch of people pay a higher price for the most recently sold coins. The ‘10 billion’ is only ‘created’ in the sense that if everyone sold their bitcoins at that price, they’d collectively get 10 billion more for their digicoins from the idiots that bought them.

This is ignoring the fact that any sales even close to significant would send the price plummeting.

I don’t know how many sales at a particular price would determine the overall value, but given bitcoin’s low liquidity/velocity you’d have to ask yourself if that number wasn’t low enough that a small number of people selling coins to each other could drive the price up enough to offload their coins to newcomers at significantly inflated prices.

Edit: If you're interested, this concept of market cap is similar to other assets like stocks. So when a company gained "WOW 2 BILLION" in valuation in a day or whatever, the idea is the same, the number of shares multiplied by the current price. The fundamental difference in my eyes is that company valuations are, at least theoretically, based on 'fundamentals' such as past and expected future profits, dividends, company assets, contracts and business partnerships, intellectual property, etc. You would expect a companies share price to have a fundamental 'floor' of the actual dollar value of these things, below which the price wouldn't go. The valuation changes based partly on psychology and partly on alterations to the fundamentals: profit reporting, announcements of new partnerships, sale or purchase of assets, changes to dividends, etc.

I can't see any fundamentals or a theoretical actual-dollar floor to Bitcoin's value. In my eyes, it's all psychological.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 30, 2017

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

excuse me mr. Lowtax sir can you please explain why you do not accept bitcoin as the only legitimate form of payment? if and only if you make the smart choice to support it then i will make my intended purchase and tell all my friends about your comedy forum

you are missing out on gigabucks of potential profits

also you should consider transforming your forum post verification system into a blockchain for the following revolutionary reasons:

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Everyone I know in actually reality that is buying bitcoins is doing it with the express intention of making money, ‘not wanting to miss out’ as the price rises. I have never, ever had a discussion about anyone using it for any other reason (except drugs). All the bitcoin stories in pop media are about price, none of them about what you are meant to do with them besides make money.

Ham Sandy, you must love in an echo chamber because this is the actual state of things. What that means for adoption or the price or Ponzi or whatever, that’s another level of discussion. But seriously dude you have got to accept this basic observation about reality.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Chadzok posted:

Everyone I know in actually reality that is buying bitcoins is doing it with the express intention of making money, ‘not wanting to miss out’ as the price rises. I have never, ever had a discussion about anyone using it for any other reason (except drugs). All the bitcoin stories in pop media are about price, none of them about what you are meant to do with them besides make money.

Ham Sandy, you must love in an echo chamber because this is the actual state of things. What that means for adoption or the price or Ponzi or whatever, that’s another level of discussion. But seriously dude you have got to accept this basic observation about reality.

The latest chalk mark on my as-yet-unresponded-to comment (I understand Ham, there’s a lot for you to do here. You’re doing god’s work) is this gem from the frontpage of Australia’s premier news site, Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/small-busines...116-gzn9jb.html

This is what the media and the common man thinks is the only important point about bitcoin worth discussing - “on-this-trajectory-it-wont-be-long-before-one-bitcoin-is-worth-1-million-a-pop.”

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

It's almost like they are paying people who cash out with the cash from new purchases, and sometimes that doesn't line up quite well enough.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

quote:

Yeah that's a ton of electricity actually holy poo poo what a waste.

Paraphrasing an idiot: "Maybe it seems like a waste to you, but perhaps for the problems that bitcoin is solving and the people it's solving them for, it's worth it. Maybe even a good deal." This is the argument you'll see.

QuarkJets posted:

Yea maybe, or it would be 0 bitcoins now because you kept your bitcoins in the most popular exchange at the time, Mtgox

Or because you used a popular brain wallet at the time that turned out to produce extremely predictable private keys, causing all of its users to lose everything

Or because your wallet software sent your private keys to the developer, which has happened numerous times, even for wallets that were widely popular and considered trustworthy at the time

Is it actually possible to have a 'wallet' that doesn't rely at some point on code someone else has written (unless you've written it yourself)?
Or is 'trustless' yet another fundamental thing that is supposedly groundbreaking about bitcoin that is actually not true (you have to trust the coders who wrote your wallet not to screw you)

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Busy Bee posted:

Bitcoin noob here with a few questions:

1) The price of BTC has been skyrocketing this year and will probably hit $10,000 USD within the next few days. Does the value keep going up due to the number of people buying more Bitcoin?

2) Although the value of BTC keeps going up, I read that there are problems with even buying / selling / using Bitcoin. The buying and selling portion takes 7+ days to complete while using Bitcoin has high transfer costs due to how overloaded the network is. Doesn't this mean that the whole reason why BTC started (Low transfer rates, ease of use etc) is gone?

3) If people are unable to use BTC at stores that accept it, or even pay $1 transfer fee for a $2 cup of coffee, doesn't this mean that the value keeps going up due to people buying it to make money off of it and not for daily use? Isn't this speculation and fast growth a classic sign of a bubble?

4) And with the price increasing so quickly, would people who have BTC want to even use it for small purchases? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to just use cash or credit to buy what they need to buy while holding onto BTC? Isn't this problematic?

buy a bitcoin

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

At first I thought it was a show about blockchain called Krapopolis and thought it was good, then I read the article and although I don't fully understand, I know it's bad.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Guys it was obv a 4d chess move and the nyag suspected they would fraud the 30 days but they wanted to see what 30 days of good behaviour did to the market and the nyag is literally a ninja all up in their poo poo and a storm is coming.

I pray to nyag every day

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

punishedkissinger posted:

theres like $60b Tether right? and $1.1t BTC?

Those numbers are not related because Tether is pegged (or at least stays very close to) the value of the US dollar, originally because there was supposedly one dollar in a bank for every Tether. That bitcoin number is just the last price a mook paid times the total number of bitcoin, so it varies wildly from minute to minute.

Although they are related in that they are both pure fantasy and could dissolve at any second.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Galewolf posted:

Also, isn't the literal worst time to buy shitcoins (which is all the time bjt for the sake of the arguement) if you see it on the ads like thin in London?

These exact ads have been all over Sydney for at least 6 months now. I have no idea if its the same company or just an exact ripoff but super cred to London for shunting them.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

'not a big bitcoin guy' lists elaborate justifications for why bitcoin is the only solution

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

corgski posted:

Wow they're not even pretending to not be a ponzi scheme now.

safemoon and all its many copies are also unabashedly pyramid shaped. it's disgusting how many clearly labelled scams are operated under the much larger scam of crypto in general. it's an incoherent quagmire that can only be effectively dealt with by a nuke from regulatory orbit.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

so this is people/bots buying stuff based on Elon tweets because they think there is another, larger group of people that will use Elon tweets as actual financial advice, but only the first group actually exists, right?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Ah but is it not also written that those in chains are blessed and those chained to blocks are more blessed still?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Mimesweeper posted:

you're the best poster in this thread

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

im going to stick knife up the rear end in a top hat ov everyone that buys a bitcoin im going to loving murder you

but suddenly, a new contender

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Orvin posted:

Just want to say I really appreciate your posts.

blog also good too (other than the bits that are just long verbatim quotes of conversations plagiarised from this thread with every username changed to divabot)

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I see the "flaming wreckage" formation

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

has anyone said lightning buttwork?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

ilmucche posted:

I feel like I already know the answer to this but did the tether printer folks ever show their work that every tether is backed by a real USD?

Follow up that I've never really understood: why not just use actual USD (if the answer is fraud then don't worry about it)

They said at one point ages ago that it was backed like 60 or 70% or something (and it didn't seem to matter to anyone) and then after a court settlement with the NYAG they released a ridiculous series of pie charts that showed it was backed by at most 3% cash (and it didn't seem to matter to anyone)

the appeal of using stablecoins is, I guess, that you are just swapping coins instead of creating a taxable event by exiting the crypto ecosystem into actual money (in australia, at least, this is completely false, and every exchange is taxable). It has numerous other benefits for the supply-side of crypto including, as you say, a smokescreen for fraud and banking troubles, and keeping money in the system. I get the impression a lot of people don't even realise what they are holding and think that USDT/USDC/whatever are just dollars by a different name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

this all falls firmly in the wheelhouse of my new project, contentcoin, whitepaper available now.

it's a proof-of-post system, where those who create the most valuable content receive rewards and individual phrases are traced and credited on the blockchain, so divabot can never steal our posts again