Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This is the same reaction I got when I said in the yospos thread it was hosed up to cheer a video of the silkroad dude's mom crying at his sentencing. "Oh so you think laws shouldn't exist!" Give me a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Boxturret posted:

You guys just don't get it, the societal pressures a young, well off, educated, caucasian male in america is under are so insurmountable that we can't hold him personally accountable for starting up an illegal drugs website and plotting to murder his enemies, and their families/roommates/anyone who happened to be in the area at the time.

If he was a sociopath that's a mental illness that could in theory be treated if we lived in a perfect world. For me, personally, I think that when someone has a bad brain, or bad brain chemicals, and it leads to a maladaptive/destructive/criminal behavior that locking them in a cell for the rest of their life is regrettable, even if necessary.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The quoted post says "even if necessary". The first post I made says "Yes, its his fault too, as an adult, and he needs to be held to account for his crimes." Lucky for you being illiterate isn't a crime. Something being regrettable and necessary is not a complex idea.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You know who else thought we should have empathy for sinners even as we punish them? That's right Jesus.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mozi posted:

i use it occasionally because i'm not an artist and it's an upgrade from making joke images in ms paint which is my sole use case

Its effort that makes a joke funny, not visual fidelity.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

cruft posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person irritated by this.

If any of you were ever curious what it was like to live during the "Dark Ages": it's like this. Stuff's still happening, people are still communicating, it's just that in the future there will be almost no record of any of it, because all the companies we relied on to proxy our communications will be gone, their hard drives buried, and proprietary software used to read everything will be irretrievably lost.

Good.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

davecrazy posted:

GameStop stock went down? Let me guess, time to buy the dip!

Shorties are big mad at the fire DD from Saturday that demonstrates we've been right all along.

This is a classic hedgie temper tantrum. They refuse to believe they're big hosed.

It's inevitable hedge cucks, you're about to watch your whole world crumble. Your bosses are going to throw you under the bus to save their own skins. You'll be facing prison time for something your organization calls "the cost of business".

Maybe you guys should think about reporting their crimes to the DOJ, Secret Service or the FBI before this poo poo gets too close to the fan. Once you're implicated, there's no going back. Take the immunity while it's still on the table, otherwise we all will make drat sure every single one of you "just following orders" dipshits gets a nice long sit in a federal prison cell for financial treason.

If it were me, I'd prefer my freedoms and a career change over never seeing my family again because my billionare boss told me he'd throw me another bonus if I took the fall. But hey, I'm not you. And I'm not on the wrong side of this trade...just food for thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Neito posted:

Careful about buying F-91Ws, the government may put you on a watchlist.

Edit: That said, I agree. I wear a Timex Ironman these days, not the least of which is because I got tired of trying to keep my Galaxy Watch charged and poo poo.

Seems legit:

quote:

The US government became suspicious of Afghans who wore Casio watches due to their ability to be used as timers for improvised explosive devices, a tactic favored by al-Qaeda.[10][11]

According to secret documents issued to interrogators at Guantanamo Bay, obtained[12] and released by The Guardian, "the Casio F-91W digital watch was declared to be 'the sign of al-Qaeda' and a contributing factor to continued detention of prisoners by the analysts stationed at Guantanamo Bay. Briefing documents used to train staff in assessing the threat level of new detainees advise that possession of the F-91W and the A159W, available online for as little as £4, suggests the wearer has been trained in bomb making by al-Qaeda in Afghanistan."[13] United States military intelligence officials have identified the F-91W as a watch that terrorists use in constructing time bombs.[14][15][16][17]

This association was highlighted in the Denbeaux study, and may have been used in some cases at Guantanamo Bay.[18] An article published in The Washington Post in 1996 reported that Abdul Hakim Murad, Wali Khan Amin Shah, and Ramzi Ahmed Yousef had developed techniques to use commonly available Casio digital watches to detonate time bombs.[19] Casio watches were mentioned almost 150 times in prisoner assessments from Guantanamo.[20]

On 12 July 2006, the magazine Mother Jones provided excerpts from the transcripts of a selection of the Guantanamo detainees.[16] The article informed readers:

More than a dozen detainees were cited for owning cheap digital watches, particularly "the infamous Casio watch of the type used by Al Qaeda members for bomb detonators."