Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fame Douglas posted:

Cash?

And that doesn't seem like a hard problem at all.

I don't know if carrying a million dollars in cash on your person in order to give it to someone is that great of an idea. I mean, like it or not it's a historic fact that bitcoin was used for organized crime because it's harder to track, easier to launder, and more convenient than other methods that existed 2+ years in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I mean you can just ask this question: why did Silk Road use bitcoin? There isn't an any possible answer that doesn't involve the relative security improvement over other transfer methods and the illegality of what they were selling. Silk Road is also a great example because of how Ross Ulbricht failed to maintain separation between his real identity and the publicly known transactions on the blockchain. Once the investigators found him using his personal email they could immediately prove that he accepted like 30 million in BTC for illegal drugs.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fame Douglas posted:

That article doesn't really address the question (and who knows if the numbers are even close to accurate considering this was clearly intended as a cry for more authority).

But I guess it all hinges on your definition of what constitutes "organized crime".

Do you then reject the people that say in this thread that organized crime is deliberately manipulating the price of BTC to keep it propped up?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fame Douglas posted:

There's likely a ton of market manipulation and a ton of true believers carrying in their money. But I find it hard to believe some drug organization is propping the price up.

Who is manipulating the market? Is manipulating a market illegal? Is it organized?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Adar posted:

The crypto markets are, in general, the most manipulated markets in at least the past 100 years because they're so thinly traded and there are so many (well-organized) whales compared to regular traders that it's easy to do.

This has nothing to do with whether organized crime is using bitcoin on a large scale (probably not unless you count the darknet dealers, and they've all switched to Monero) or whether they were propping the price up (nobody who uses crypto as currency cares what its price is, hence why very few people use it as currency.)

Yeah, I agree but the discussion wasn't if they *are* it's if they were and if that was a reason for bitcoin becoming a huge bubble. Also, if it offers advantages over other money transfers that make illegal poo poo more secure, even if it's not anonymous.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Rad Russian posted:

instead of -20 years left for everyone to switch to renewable energy we'll have -30.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Harveygod posted:

Lol at completely missing the point as to why people use adblockers.

If your computer is already infected with malware you don't need to worry about having adblock anymore, so here just install this malware.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

VictorianQueerLit posted:

That or it's like the Space Cash episode of South Park.

Bitcoins were only worth what you as a planet decided they were worth. I mean how stupid is your species? Blockchains? HODL?

That excerpt is Trey Parker telling you to buy gold bullion because fiat USD is worthless.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 15, 2018

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

That was a good post you just quoted.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I like the "happy halloween" poster that helps you understand the joke.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"I know what to look for when the market is going to crash" is a really funny one to me. They call it a crash because its like you slam into a brick wall and your money is gone inside like 5-6 trades.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Making fun of bitcoin is so easy that we shouldn't be loving it up by not understanding the social basis of what makes a currency or what an exchange is.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Are you kidding?

He's right imo, it's either fake or the dude was going to get fired anyway and they already had a nice case together in advanced. How would your automated threat detection system tell a real employee loading a miner apart from a compromised employee credential set being used to install a miner? You can't get through that process in 5 literal minutes.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

zedprime posted:

He was sent home to prevent covering any tracks and they did the verification it was a physical log in from his workstation in between sending home and termination. Or any other number of send home/validation/termination scenarios when a watchdog is triggered on a monitored system.

The US has some hosed up labor situations by why is it controversial to terminate someone for running arbitrary code on a medical network?

I don't think it's controversial to do so, I just think that something about the story doesn't completely add up. We already know that the person in the story is a huge idiot, so it seems likely that they already had a target on their back.

I'm encouraging a little skepticism only because I think having some credibility makes it easier to make fun of crypto in the ways it deserves. You don't want to be the guy that is willing to believe someone was walking around NYC selling chuck'e cheese tokens for $100 a pop by saying they're bitcoins.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Uranium 235 posted:

you're confusing me with someone else, i never posted that
ironic that you say that, considering the above

another thing i've never said

is posting wrong things your gimmick or what?

Ok, but you did say:

"if there's a tether meltdown, i'll see it developing because i know what it will look like. prices on tether exchanges should skyrocket as everyone converts from USDT to crypto, and prices on fiat exchanges should plummet as crypto is transferred from tether exchanges to fiat ones and then sold into actual money. so even if the news doesn't come out publicly and it's just insiders saving their skin, the signs should be clear."

The way I read this you're saying that you have the ability to see a crash coming and cash out before everyone else.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I think it's a phishing scam. Those aren't n's.

ṇot seeing the issue persoṇally.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

gary oldmans diary posted:

that was already proven. this was test was for proving payload capacity for his rockets but besides that useful data is collected on every aspect of these tests
elon musk is a doer and a financier. there are problems that a lot of smart people recognize obvious solutions for but take a lot of cash that no one wants to front. the kind of problems he likes to work on are the dragging us into the future kind

meanwhile most billionaires are more interested in dragging us back to the gilded age and are more interested in just making a single number go up than anyone

Dragging us into the glorious future of the 1960s; the decade before people realized there was nothing in space worth visiting.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Putting a tesla into space because you can't figure out what the gently caress else to do up there is poetically similar to the final apathetic shrug of the Apollo program; astronauts driving a car on the moon.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Khorne posted:

You only need the start position and a length, and there are tons of clever ways to store the start position in very few bytes.

Citation needed.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Khorne posted:

Very few is kinda relative here. You need to be able to accurately represent two positive integers. The start position and the length.

There are endless ways to do this. You could even use the pi-compression algorithm iteratively if you wanna be cheeky about it, but you could also just use normal compression that we use today.

The integer is larger than the original content. Try to even think of a trivial case where you're not encoding the literal value of pi. How about the letter A for example, do this process for A.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What are my bitcoiins worth now?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
When I told you to start crossing the road it was good advice, but the timing was off.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If I get something that is obviously damaged on the outside shipped to me I for sure take pictures as I'm opening it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Houses gain value over time no matter what. Cryptos gain value over time no matter what. It makes a lot of sense that they'd work well together.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nobody who understands bitcoin invests in them. I wonder why that is?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AARO posted:

Why do you ask? Is that car not good enough?

Somebody at his highschool put a big spoiler on one so now you're not allowed to own the flagship 2 door commuter by Honda.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The White Dragon posted:

the planet's dyin cloud

Compare the badass mako creations of that world to the lovely pile of random numbers we got.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If investing in a stock is gambling then starting a business is gambling. If starting a business is gambling then taking a job from a business is gambling. If working is gambling... and Bitcoin is gambling.... Then gently caress you mom, I AM employed!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Goodpancakes posted:

Doing literally anything in life is the same as buying Bitcoin. Is that where we got to? Everyone satisfied? Hit the showers?

You took a gamble posting this, much like the gamble of taking out 10,000 dollars in credit card debt to buy bitcoins.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Milky Moor posted:

What's a 51% attack

Literally anyone can steal as much money as they want from any crypto currency if they have a majority of the 'mining' power.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Sure, bitcoin is way down, but the trading volume is way up! This shows that bitcoin is more popular than ever! BUY BUY BUY!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Excelzior posted:

lol I just remembered it was an exchange for virtual cards from Magic : The Gathering Online, and not an online exchange of regular mtg cards

haha really? I didn't know that.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I made considerably more than 6000 this month working at a normal rear end job and they give me benefits too.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I Was The Fury posted:

Usually people vacate a building with a constantly sinking floor instead of insisting that the floor is always stable and was always this low and covered in two inches of water

I haven't checked houston real estate prices recently but I'm almost 100% sure this isn't correct.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
As an aside money laundering is not an activity that makes money. It transforms money, probably at a loss.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

gary oldmans diary posted:

cryptocoin guy at work was excitedly talking about how theres a new cryptocurrency for online poker/gambling. finally! a cryptocurrency compatible with these things. its about time

Hold on, I'm waiting for this transaction to clear and then I'm going to play another hand.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
*Hodl on

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I check bitcoin price about once a day to see if it's crashed yet and I got really excited when I saw this:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lote posted:

There aren’t any controls or circuit breakers in place to cool off panic selling. This is a plus, you see. The volatility is so high that it is both the time to buy and the time to sell.

What? They have tether printing, that's better than freezing the market. You just print 500,000,000 of them and boom back up to $6000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lote posted:

Problem is that there is waning new money coming in and USDT is decoupling from its ‘tether’. If Bitfinex does that now, they risk crashing the tether market and kicking off a bank run.

Who cares just print more tether.