Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
It's not bitcoin, it's either, but I made $200 this weekend playing cryptokitties.co !

Finally, a litigate use for crypto. Eat it haters.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/03/people-have-spent-over-1m-buying-virtual-cats-on-the-ethereum-blockchain/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bardeh posted:

I wonder how long until it crashes into the ground?

Well, my kitties have doubled in value overnight but I can't sell poo poo because I think the eth network is totally broke. By pictures of cats on the internet. Visa, central banks, large governments, watch out!

I have worked for internet companies for 15 years now and the biggest problems are always related to scaling.... adserving, search, social, image hosting, you name it. Crypto can't scale so it won't work. I'm sure someone will figure it out, but it looks pretty far of for now.

PROTIP: Buy all the kitties as soon as you can, I'm up $300 now :)

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
Comment from the developers of Cryptokitties on hackernews:

"When we started the project, we expected to use a standard, eBay-style, rising auction with successive bids, but that resulted in way too many on-chain transactions. So, we had to find a kind of auction that required just two committed transactions: Starting the auction, and claiming the winning bid. The answer was a descending clock auction, where you set some start price and gradually drop the price over time until someone chooses to pay. (It's formally equivalent to a first-price, sealed bid auction, if you're an auction theory aficionado!)
The common name for a descending clock auctions? "Dutch Auction" or "Tulip Auction". The irony is not lost on us..."

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
and back down to $16,000. and back up to $17,900 in minutes.

A STORE OF VALUE! For some value, IDK whatever.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

COMRADES posted:

You can't cancel fraudulent transactions? That's not really a good thing.

LOL if you lost your private key, or it was stolen, or whatever, it's your fault dummy, have fun being poor.

Not a joke, this is the actual answer BTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
https://blog.coinbase.com/please-invest-responsibly-an-important-message-from-the-coinbase-team-bf7f13a4b0b1

"Please invest responsibly" - a company that take credit cards for BTC and admits it is likely that they will be unavailable or unable to process your transactions when you want to withdrawal.