Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Here's a new thing that is definitely not a scam: https://tenset.io/

You give them your ETH and they give you their new cryptocurrency and use your money to buy other cryptocurrency and then you get the profits, I promise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

I have some bad news for some of you about cash. That too can be used for criminal enterprise. That convivence store down the road could also be used to launder money. Your laundromat might be owned by organized crime, etc.

lmao going with the "you can kill someone with a hammer so giving everyone guns is good actually" approach

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

He already said he stopped mining

Just take the W

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/1372934554508435464

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

xtal posted:

To be honest, your posts over the last couple days are completely delusional. You seem to be unwilling to make any compromise and are making some extreme logical jumps to avoid your dissonance. Sorry to be blunt, but I'm not your therapist who's paid to sugar coat it.

It's confusing when you make this post without quoting your own posts first. It looks like you're talking to someone else

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

You said:

xtal posted:

I once bought a bike from a local Canadian company, but they charged in USD since they have an online site. The transaction didn't post until the next day and it cost me $500 more due to forex and currency fluctuations. Never heard of that before!

But it wasn't forex and currency fluctuations, it was your bank loving up or the vendor trying to gently caress you over. You were trying to compare USD fluctuations to bitcoin fluctuations with a bullshit story and then had to backtrack when your story got called out as bullshit

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

xtal posted:

The bank definitely tried to gently caress me over in the sense that they were profiting from the overnight currency fluctuation. Nobody made a mistake or overcharged me, the USD price was exactly the same both bills and the only difference was the forex. Because I'm an extremely good customer and insisted, the bank gave me the forex rate from the day before even though they didn't really need to.

It's really weird that you had a hyperlocal currency fluctuation like that when nobody else did, guess you're just really unlucky :shrug:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

xtal posted:

Exchange rate at time of purchase: 0.8088
At time of posting: 0.76309

Extremely ironically, the fluctuation was almost exactly 6%.

So assuming that we take this at face value what is the point you are trying to make? Do you think the volatility of BTC and USD are comparable?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

The batteries Tesla made could be real game changers. Being able to set up solar panels and a couple batteries in remote locations is something that seems like such a great thing. There is probably a bunch of awful associated with it of which I am unaware.

There's the part where their solar panels had a tendency to burst into flames and they tried to hide it

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-solar-panel-fires-become-nightmare-some-homeowners-2019-10
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-project-titan-replace-bad-solar-panel-parts-2019-8

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fur20 posted:

it sounds like you can buy the battery without having to buy their solar panels, so if the battery tech is solid i don't see why you couldn't just get that and hook it up to your existing non-tesla system, or have someone who knows what they're doing arrange for better panels themselves

Maybe, but given Tesla's history of hiding things falling apart/catching on fire I don't think I'd trust their batteries either

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Nessus posted:

What I dislike is that conversation about these technological systems in general is irreperably tainted by people falling over themselves to prove who hates and/or loves Elon Musk, Emerald Mining Heir, more.

e: Like to be clear I mean "electric cars/trucks" and "solar/battery" kind of things, and while Tesla's products are prominent examples of these they are not exclusive. However, people's feelings about Elon Musk, Human Who Could Be Hit By A Bus Tomorrow, are probably the dominant influence on attitudes regarding these things.

I didn't even say anything about Elon Musk. His lovely products speak for themselves. His "electric cars/trucks" and "solar/battery" both have a history of catching fire and Tesla trying to cover it up.

On the positive side his solar panels probably won't autopilot you into a concrete wall, so they are still better than his cars.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cabbages and Kings posted:

welp, since I started mining on my 3080, daily income has slid from about $10 to about $7, so the hash difficulty is definitely ramping.

I expect to cash out another $200 in about 10 days, and I will probably be able to grab another $200 worth before some combination of difficulty ramp plus summer heat causing my "hey this thing replaces my space heater" to no longer be true.

Not terrible, if I had turned it on day 1 I would have more than paid the card off, and as it is, I'll come close.

When the difficulty makes it impractical to mine on 3080s at all, I really hope consumer silicon availability in general is better. I've been waiting since release to upgrade to a 5900x at retail, but it's looking like by the time that happens we may be on to entirely new architecture and I'll switch mobos etc entirely :allears:

I'd pay $650 for a $550 block but I am not paying $800.

edit: cashing out Etherium and immediately buying Pfizer stock feels like the most 2021 :capitalism: thing I could be doing. The upside is, if I take a bath on the stock it means Pfizer is hosed in some way, a thing that would be more useful to me than a few hundred bucks.

Thank you for contributing to climate change and sex trafficking :patriot:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cabbages and Kings posted:

When you made this post, the answer was pretty clearly "yes". Are you going to tell me that your thinking on that has changed and that if I offered you 10 btc for $100, you wouldn't buy them? Honestly, reading your entire post history here now seems like a thing I might do just to see how your mentality changed from the point where you made the OP to the point that you started inventing quotes to strawman people.

Compromising your morals for $500k is very different than doing it for $7 a month

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

xtal posted:

Yes, that's called an art museum. The other thing is that you can copy and reproduce physical art easily as well. I'm gonna do it right now!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Starry_Night_Over_the_Rhone.jpg/1280px-Starry_Night_Over_the_Rhone.jpg

The Wikipedia page for Starry Night Over the Rhône is not far from what you're describing, but I'm sure people would pay a lot of money to own it, even if it just sits in a museum on display.

Edit: This is less an endorsement of NFT and more a criticism of art as a market.

So you're argument now is that a picture of a physical object is the same as the physical object itself?

I've got a bridge to sell you

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 4, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

xtal posted:

If you're quoting Peter loving Thiel, you might be on the wrong side of things. Just do the opposite of what that fascist says. He is literally the 2010 Hitler.

Agreed, nobody should ever support bitcoin mining
https://fortune.com/2019/10/15/what-is-bitcoin-mining-layer1-peter-thiel-crypto-investment/

or be pro-crypto and pro-bitcoin
https://twitter.com/nixonfoundation/status/1379894036060864516?s=20

I'm glad you've finally seen the light

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

hbag posted:

decided to short 1INCH
if it goes down to the price i want, im going to make $27.4
if it goes up instead, i've got a stop loss set up so i only lose $5.27

i literally do not see a downside to this someone help im turning into a dickhead

Stop loss only works if someone is buying the contract at that price though, right? If whatever "inch" is goes up too quickly you might not be able to sell at that price

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Warthog posted:

I don't really see a difference between cryptos and other ways to gamble with disposable income

None of the other things you mention use the same amount of energy as 30 days of an average US home for a single transaction.

The best estimates I can find show that a single bitcoin transaction has the same carbon footprint as burning a 42 gallon barrel of oil.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Warthog posted:

Mind telling me where you got those numbers?
I found the following comparison which in my opinion makes your numbers seem a bit exaggerated:
"The amount of electricity consumed every year by always-on but inactive home devices in the USA alone could ...
power the Bitcoin network for 1.5 years"
https://cbeci.org/cbeci/comparisons

https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption

They actually estimate the Bitcoin energy usage as lower than your source, but the USA has 330 million people while Bitcoin serves no practical purpose. Using 2/3rds the energy of idle US devices for absolutely no reason isn't some great selling point for bitcoin

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

absolutely normal and nothing more. they got shares for free or cheaper than ipo, the end. What people are missing is the same people will absolutely buy back in as well.

If they're just going to buy back in why bother selling? These people love paying taxes that much?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Dogecoin doesn't have to make any sense. People are going to pump it tomorrow for little to no reason. Seems like an easy way to make a quick buck. But seeing as how dogecoin is meant as a joke....when does it go bye bye? What is it....10,000 new coins each day? Can't sustain that way.

I'll obviously be wrong because cryptocurrency is divorced from reality, but if there is a public plan to pump it tomorrow it seems like everyone who knows and cares would buy today and there wouldn't be enough suckers left to buy the bags tomorrow.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

von Vicious posted:

Also, me personally, im putting money in as well. I know tomorrow will be big. I'm going to make a few nice profits, and exit tomorrow at it's peak, before I get screwed over and wait eternally for another rise like this. Not financial advice.

How's this workin' out for you?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I doubled my money on stupid loving dogecoin. There’s some serious money to be made if you time things right. The trick is you have turn off the reasoning part of your brain and just try to guess what other people might be thinking.

I doubled my money playing roulette and used a fraction of the energy

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

xtal posted:

I've come to an understanding with HGB and decided to take a break from posting in GBS on my own accord. May you remember me by the avatar. Good luck!

These were the days...

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

I just cash out my bitcoin in drugs like a reasonable person. No capital gains on that

You're supposed to pay capital gains even if you use bitcoin to buy something, you'll probably get a stricter sentence for the tax evasion than the possession

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

MechaCrash posted:

I don't know enough about capital gains stuff to know if you're taking the piss.

Do you really need to pay capital gains tax if you use bitcoin to buy stuff directly?

Yes

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/367764

quote:

Using crypto for goods or services
When you exchange cryptocurrency for goods or services, you are taxed on the increase in value that cryptocurrency has from the time of purchase until the time it is exchanged. For example, if you bought a Tesla with $100,000 worth of Bitcoin, you would need to track when that $100,000 in Bitcoin was purchased, and you would then pay tax on the increase. If that Bitcoin were purchased at a value of $40,000, then there would be a gain of $60,000 when that Bitcoin is then exchanged for the Tesla. If held for over a year, it will be a long-term capital gain and will be at preferred rates. If the Bitcoin was held a year or less, the $60,000 gain will be taxed at short-term capital-gains rates.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Has anyone looked into the energy cost per person of regular currency against crypto? It constantly comes up, but of course no-one ever give hard numbers, just some nebulous "but don't you see that everything uses energy, and is therefore exactly the same?".

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Andy Dufresne posted:

I know there are lots of 10 page articles about tether but it's still confusing to most people so I'll break it down simply.

There was a time, probably 49 billion tether ago, where tethers were 1:1 backed by cash. This was their own money mostly because they are owned by a large exchange which is profitable by virtue of fees.

Tether has since gotten into the business of loans. When they print tether it is to loan it out to third parties- mostly unbanked/unregulated exchanges, but also probably crypto gambling sites. A portion of it is also used to purchase crypto assets.

So, the magic question about tether is what portion of their backing is liquid cash, what portion is crypto, and what portion is loans to an unstable industry. If it is substantially backed by the latter two options it's just a house of cards waiting to crumble. And of course it is because there's no evidence of large cash reserves anywhere.

It can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

xtal posted:

Also Jimmy Wales is an objectivist. But I guess you can overlook that when you're at the top of the ladder.

You're like a real life version of the "you participate in society" comic

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

spunkshui posted:

NFTs are beanie babies.

At least when the beanie baby market crashed you still had a beanie baby. When NFTs crash you'll have a dead URL

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Anyone got the current numbers on cryptocurrency energy usage? Someone on another forum I use posted about getting into crypto, I voiced some mild, nonspecific skepticism, then the Bitcoin Defender logged on and posted something about "compared to the energy banks waste..." which, from browsing these threads occasionally, really didn't pass my sniff test.

Spoiler alert: It's not even close

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Knot My President! posted:

That's not very nice. If you want a closer number it's probably 250 watts / hour / 24 hours / 30 days at 25 cents per kwh, so like $40/month. $180/month is because it was cold and it's warming up. Having an economics degree doesn't mean I study taxes. That's what tax advisors are for. If I can get a faster answer here then I will before I start going down the rabbit hole for something I'm merely considering as an option.

Try to factor in the externalities of contributing to ETH as well. You're supporting a system with a huge energy consumption rate and carbon footprint. It's not as bad as BTC, but it still uses more energy than most countries. You're burning energy to help be the record keeper for money laundering and sex trafficking in exchange for a little bit of money.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Knot My President! posted:

While true, is there anything we can do about it given the worldwide support behind crypto? I don’t want to bring in privation fallacies but it seems like there’s much more impactful tangential activism we could focus on, like restricting ship usage of bunker fuel, no?

Yes there is something we can do about it, we can not support it. You literally don't have to do anything at all to not support cryptocurrency, just don't buy it and don't mine it. With all the time you spend not doing anything with cryptocurrency you can focus on reducing usage of bunker fuel. Two birds with one stone.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I get it, I recycle and ride my bike which is why I feel ok tripping old people on the street

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

If you want people to pat you on the head and tell you good job for mining ethereum the "making fun of cryptocurrency" thread is probably the wrong place

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm gonna create xtalcoin, you earn 1 xtalcoin by buying annoying "coiners" a big red text avatar. 1 xtalcoin can be exchanged for a $10 donation to a food bank. It will all be tracked with a private blockchain in excel

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

lmao is this your death threat avatar?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

xtal posted:

No that's the one people have spent 80 dollars and counting on. They're not mad though.

Good job showing them that it's definitely not getting under your skin. A meltdown like this is worth twice the price

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

If anyone is to blame for YOSPOS death threats it's the GBS thread for laughing at cryptocurrency

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

It's almost like there might be a difference between being funny and just bad at posting. You know, like, resorting to hostility to make a point.

The guy making unsubstantiated accusations that death threats towards him are coming from this thread is definitely just being funny and not resorting to hostility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Slugnoid posted:

just cashed out all my dunning-krugerrands and made $800 profit on what i put in the first place. i have to say it's a nice feeling but gently caress if im ever doing that again. its too loving nerve wracking.

I think i'm just going to talk to someone professional about putting my savings into safe long term stocks instead of internet magic beans.

Might I recommend the Long Term Investing thread. Most professionals are going to charge you high fees to do what you can do for free by sticking your money in index funds