Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MrUnderbridge posted:

At the peak you could buy nifty looking physical bitcoins for a couple of bucks.

I was sorely tempted to get a couple and offer them for sale at say, 90% of then current price.

But then I realized I wasn't a poo poo human being.

The nifty ones are on aliexpress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My Linux Rig posted:

yeah just like twitch and YouTube, what’s the issue?

:ironicat:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I paid for Netscape 2.0 back when it came in a box.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Dude we have a bunch of never-worn baby shoes, and a 2 year old who simply refused to wear those pairs cause children are picky. All obtained through a baby shower that took place a year before he'd be big enough to wear them so no chance of returning them to the store, even if we had any idea where they were purchased

Why aren't you posting "baby shoes never worn" on craigslist rn

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Why is heroin so hard to synthesise, compared to fentanyl? (Same for cocaine, compared to amphetamines)

A century+ of making all the precursors as tightly controlled as the drugs themselves. In the unlikely event that fentalogues don't completely push agricultural heroin out of the market I expect the next big thing for both heroin and cocaine to be recombinant GM algae that produce the active compounds without all the big footprint big visibility farms.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 13, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Some of the Sheep posted:

Knowing the history of this idiot, I suspect he's back here not because he sold his poo poo, but because he bought the dip.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:rip:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wid posted:

What a joke. Most of it is handwavy poo poo about "it's not that bad" and "the tech will get better". Even the poo poo about Visa using "banking". Jesus gently caress. This special case of brain damage where the simple logic of how power consumption is ignored must be due to desperation to getting rich like in the case with ghosttitty.

If you ever solve the case where making a computer sending an email while running 3 instances of The Witcher 3 with ultra graphics mods use less or equal energy with a computer just sending an email, and without adding extra caveat, then your idiotic block chain bullshit might work.

The real allure of "blockchain technology" is that scammers and idiots think they could jumpstart a business with just some copy pasted code and other people would fork up the cash for the hardware for the promise of number go up. It doesn't serve a single purpose that cannot be done more efficiently with non-blockchain without inventing new problems for it to solve.

but then everyone will just send emails while running 30 instance of Witcher 3 at ultra graphics

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

revwinnebago posted:

What, are you trying to say major american banks tend to be way behind the times on technology? I mean it only took them like a decade to bring chip and pin to America, and they only started instituting well after the rest of the world had learned to hack chip and pin negating almost all the possible benefits.

No no we got chip and signature, providing all the transistion costs with none of the benefits and a 500% slower transaction at the point of sale.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There are now more $100 bills in circulation than $1s.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/27/the...taboolainternal

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

because doxxing is only a bad thing to do to people, which nazis aren't.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

signs point to no but thanks for that video, always appreciate a good self-own.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wow, people outside TCC don't know that's a rule anymore?

Don't talk about drug prices because it looks like you're trying to set up a deal and will get superbanned

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So what basically happened is that somebody took $250,000,000 in bets that nobody would be dumb enough to sell a butt for $x, and then sold butts until the price was $x?

lmao

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Lambert posted:

Bitcoin was better when it was all about small time scammers (Pirate Savings & Trust) or incompetent people trying to start a business in the worst way possible (smelting Gold ingots, Woolong device).

Strawberry jerky

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I miss the whole butterfly labs affair. That poo poo was funny

how much did they pay FCKGW for buttcoin.org again?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

how does that help? your phone, virtual or otherwise, isn’t involved in any way with SIM swapping attacks

They can't steal the number if they don't know which one to steal.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Tether is a fiat cryptocurrency.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ad by Khad posted:

That revisionist history ain't even true. When bitcoin hit its first $30 spike at least one goon was actually quite busy, directly and single-handedly causing bitcoin's first big crash by making a single post on their forum

"BITCOIN IS CRASHING SELL SELL SELL"

The cosbycoin hack was extremely successful as well

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Has anyone mentioned Craig Wright is being allowed to move forward with a lawsuit against the bitcoin devs attempting to force them to change the protocol and give him Satoshi's Billions

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Andy Dufresne posted:

This is much less impactful than you think. Like any change in Bitcoin, miners have to ratify it and the community has to decide that the new version is "the" Bitcoin. This effectively means there are no real changes to Bitcoin. There have already been several forks by people attempting to solve the numerous problems with the system and they all get laughed out of existence. The Craig wright fork would be no different.

:thejoke:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dog-dick coffee table

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I can't fault the guy for figuring out exactly how to milk the worst part of his fanbase

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

catspleen posted:

Is that using the energy use of the total economic output of the world when using bank transactions?

That scale says the banking system uses a total of 640MWh /yr so I think it's just pulled entirely out of an rear end.

Like, that is just an impossibly low number, that's one power plant running for 45 minutes

e: at current hashrates the bitcoin network burns that every 00:02:07.78 if we generously assume all of it is running the most efficient hardware available

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 31, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'm developing an ever deeper understanding of the community around crypto. When someone says they work in finance it means they work at the credit desk of a car dealership or for a pay day lender.

Also, the ad I'm getting for this thread is for:
https://guhtoken.org/

man, buying forums ads, somebody must be really invested in trying to Control The Narrative around GUH

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

poverty goat posted:

Norton AV wasn't already considered malware?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

It’s be really funny if they just kept their millions in their exchange account and not a wallet that they actually control.

Alternatively they just got rubber hosed to give up the keys.

it's even stupider than this, a copy of the private key was on one of the servers that was seized a week ago and the hackers didn't move the butts after they were compromised.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

novamute posted:

About time. All very valid points. We'll see if they do anything more than put out a strongly worded statement though.

Look at the audience he's speaking to: the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association convention. This is a room full of high level banking and wall street guys being reminded "Hey, all that compliance poo poo you guys have to spend tens of millions of dollars jumping through hoops over? You just gonna let these assholes walk all over your walled garden?"

The message is very much telling these influencers it would be in their interest to make some calls and bring legislative pressure.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ecclesiastes owns, it's the thousands of years old internal monologue of one king's journey from "nothing matters :smith:" to "nothing matters :toot:" and reads as fresh as if it were written yesterday.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

OzyMandrill posted:

You do know that in filthy communist Europe there is an evil banking network that runs on trust and I can send money to any account just by logging into to my bank, or using their app, and it takes at most 2 hours to get there and costs me absolutely nothing? In fact, the bank even pays me the equivalent of several hundred dollars a year just to have my account with them. Even better, most of my regular bills get debited directly from my account, a service which costs me... less than nothing again because many places offer lower rates if you use this system. The bastards.

Edit: Ooh, and if something does go wrong, I can phone up my bank and get the money back.
Edit2: I can also use it to instantly pay for stuff on pretty much every major website in existance, as well as brick-and-mortar shops. A service which again costs me nothing in fees.

The thing you have to understand about our dumb american system is that account-to-account transfers are pull-based, so the first step in paying someone is giving them a level of access where if they punch up an extra zero, it's coming out of your account. And your bank doesn't give a gently caress, that's just an opportunity for them to charge you fees for overspending.

It's shameful that bitcoin was many people's first encounter with the concept of push-based transactions but for them, it was revelatory.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 20, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hobologist posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions hedge funds. If they're violating pretty much every rule about managing other peoples' money, it seems the cryptocurrency aspect is practically incidental except a way for them to pull in the rubes.

This is actually good for bitcoin because

The US government requires hedge fund investors to have at least $1,000,000 net worth specifically so they can wash their hands and say "lmao you obviously have the means to do your own homework, get reckt sucker" if they get scammed

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol
https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/mastercard-to-test-usdc-for-payments-as-stablecoin-scrutiny-intensifies-2021-07-20

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

Is it a good sign if you're arguing on Twitter with the state of Alabama over whether or not your thing that walks like a duck and quacks like a duck is a "duck"

https://twitter.com/BlockFi/status/1417968862134300672

Imagine arguing with the state of alabama about anything and being wrong

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

are the AGs of TX and AL a cowboy and southern lawyer in a white cotton suit?

no but they both seem somewhat unconventional, usually every prosecutor in the south regardless of party wears the same tie in all photographs and I can't find either of them with it.

TN AG:

NC AG debate:

SC AG:

WTF TX?

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 22, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Juul-Whip posted:

it's a good point someone made earlier that if buttcoin will usher in a new era of universal economic fairness and an end to inequality, then there's no need to invest early, as even the latest adopter will be blessed by it, equally as much as the early adopters. Right??? so really, the best strategy is to be a nocoiner until such time as that happens

I mean, this is explicitly spelled out in the drat bible.

quote:

20 For the kingdom of Satoshi is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.

2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.

3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,

4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.

5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.

6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?

7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.

8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.

9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.

10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.

11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,

12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.

13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?

14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

my new goal in life is to buy 8 of those and use them for brake pads

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CSPAM drama in a thread that moves 50 pages per day, good luck if you wanna try digging through it

Rubby posted:

Soooo.... update on this. Apparently that UAE Falcon guy on twitter who swiped my earlier post for twitter clout wasn't satisfied leaving it there. He reported my design to Teepublic as his own and is now looking for a place to get it screen printed for his followers

https://twitter.com/FalconryFinance/status/1424770758107037704?s=20

What an rear end in a top hat

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

in all seriousness how can anyone look at the trajectory of mask resistance, antivaxxing and the current wave of people ODing on apple flavored cattle deworming drugs and still believe systems that are dependent on everything being stupider than we can imagine aren't guaranteed to succeed

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Airplane drones are actually easier to automate because there's no obstacles or traffic in the air so telling the plane "go full throttle while pulling back on the yolk. Good, now dip your wings until you're facing waypoint one. Ok see ya" isn't difficult.

pinning your safety on big sky theory is a bold move, lets see how it plays out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hihohe posted:

I wonder if there is a metric for the total real wealth gained vs wealth lost after sale. Seeing as how bitcoin is not a real money i want to see how much actual money people have collectively gained after they sold it for profit or at a lost.

I know some people have made out but is the money gained more than the total money lost.

Do coiners just keep all thier coin? Are they playing that market and selling like 1 at a time it at profit? At a lost?

Wtf are you doing with this poo poo that makes it whatever price your asking for it.

we can set an upper bound, the maximum potential loss across the entire ecosystem is equal to the price paid for currently held coins by all current holders plus the total cost of all electricity and equipment ever used to mine minus the face value of all existing tether.