Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

yeah I'm off by 3 zeroes, corrected below

shame on an IGA posted:

ooo been a while since I looked at this analysis

current network hashrate is around 500,000,000 terahash/second

the most efficient miner available runs 110 Th/s at 3.25 Kw power consumption

The entire network if running on only the best available hardware has an instantaneous power draw of 14.77 gigawatts

~One block per 10 minutes, ~2,000 transactions per block

1.231 Kwh per transaction,

roughly 2.5-3 pounds of coal per transaction

note these numbers are lower bounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"Was this a bad idea? after i buried it i was starting to feel like it was a bad idea, "

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

is this

https://www.404media.co/binance-internal-code-and-passwords-exposed-on-github-for-months/

quote:

A highly sensitive cache of code, infrastructure diagrams, internal passwords, and other technical information belonging to cryptocurrency giant Binance has been sitting on a publicly accessible GitHub repository for months, 404 Media has learned.

Binance only managed to have GitHub remove the data under a copyright takedown request last week, but not before 404 Media and other people managed to view it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Bible posted:

This is something I also never understood.

My most recent example is that living in Korea, there are a lot of ads featuring K-Pop stars promoting random poo poo. I walked by a convenience store and there was an ad showing a member of a big group holding a bag of chips under the text "Jenny's Pick".

I always wonder, does really entice people to buy that brand of chips? Do they really think that model chose the brand herself? She's a K-Pop star, she barely eats at all, and almost certainly never eats junk food. Even if she did, she's a singer/dancer, not a snack food expert. Who cares which chip she likes the most? Do they think it will turn them into her? Make her like them? She probably wasn't even holding the product when the photo was taken, just had her hand open and it was later photoshopped in.

Then I remembered that I overthink things and that people can do whatever they want for whatever reason they want, as long as it isn't hurting anyone, and just let it go.

we need to talk about Rap Snacks

has anyone consulted the bible about rap snacks

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I guess he made the right bird noise to tall flacco from the bronx

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

goldbuggery and opposing contraception ultimately both stem from the same root belief that some things should best be left up to the cruel and insane whims of fate than controlled by someone who isn't me personally

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

zedprime posted:

I get you on a propaganda level but you can get really extremely fragmentized with a high level of encoding if you cast off the shackles of decimals.

E. When talking digital systems there is no limit to how many times we can ha' the ha'penny, or more practically continue in various sexagesimal patterns.

it amazes me that the british empire is the only society to ever evolve such an extreme class system as to develop two nearly identical base units of currency except the one for the nobles to use already has a 5% tip baked in

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Neito posted:

It is, at least according to the Jargon File.

https://www.catb.org/jargon/html/N/nybble.html

ESR running his site on invalid certs is the pick-me-up I needed today, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://youtu.be/dMNtaDcKU8w