Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

CassandraZara posted:

if they got their money back then it's all good

love those immutable ledgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Snowy posted:

What about this method? Is it not enough to be “safe”?

Transaction fees for bitcoin are far north of $0.00. Other "currencies" have lower fees but still not free.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Turmoil posted:

I saw this story earlier: https://np.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/7obot7/all_my_cryptocurrency_stolen/

I don't even know how that works. If you stored your wallet on the physical drive then how would they be able to access it even with the recovery seeds?

A wallet is a private key, or collection of them. Anyone with the private key can use the coins in the address, whether or not they have a wallet file. Some private keys are generated with seed words like in that post. The "recovery words" are just the seed words, he bought a resold wallet device with a private key created using those words, they are not really "recovery seeds".

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
What data feeds the verification?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Novo posted:

can't wait till they're hodling around a trash can fire for warmth

can't burn bitcoins though how will they keep warm?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah it's not hard that's why there's a thousand cryptocurrencies

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Spermanent Record posted:

Why not just use GDAX. Is that unsafe?

GDAX is run by Coinbase.

Also: https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's a distributed database for peer to peer transactions, and that opens up new use cases

such as....

also this is njot the early days of "cryptos". on the other hand, cryptocurrencies have 9 years going for them. even the internet had some practical uses in 9 years.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I think it's a phishing scam. Those aren't n's.

don't browsers show utf8 domains in expanded form (digits instead of actual characters) because of exactly this?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Or they were fake

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah that's an old school advertising scheme: insert links into the main text "relevant" to that text.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Risc1911 posted:

Another comedy gold ICO. Have fun.

The internet has changed the way that we access information. But the way that we receive it hasn’t really changed in years. Every day, millions of people spend countless hours scrolling through pages of generic search results and anonymous recommendations. We believe that there has to be a better way to access information in this day and age.

That’s why we created Vanywhere. It’s a live skill-sharing platform that instantly connects people seeking and offering skills, so you can get personalized results tailored just to you. All interactions happen through live, 1-on-1 video, voice and chat or offline gigs for freelance projects. Now instead of reading content online, you can pay by the minute to talk face-to-face with a person who has the exact skills that you need. It’s like FaceTiming with someone who can help you cook a meal, style an outfit, fix your smartphone, or more. Vanywhere has a created a new business model based on the VANY token and alternative revenue channels that allows us to provide peer-to-peer transactions with minimal commission.

https://vanywhere.com/

Solid team they have. Excited to see they have professional poker players on board, they really know how to gamble.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Aredna posted:

It's low severity so no reason to think anyone will steal you coins. If it were a risk they'd label it high severity.

well they didn't find it in any contracts so its obviously an irrelevant bug

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
microsoft bing browser

guess they got bored of edge already?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Khorne posted:

I find it really unlikely that had any impact on the price. It's like astrology at this point.

I've also never heard of the bing browser. Edge is actually a decent browser, but IE being so bad for so long kind of poisoned that well.

bing is a "search engine" there's no browser named bing. The article is just really bad, as expected from the land of cryptocurrencies.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
hell yeah cant wait to get my 1080

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Also probably the state laws since he bought from an unlicensed source.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

An Ounce of Gold posted:

When ~30 states have it legalized I think we can laugh at old cotton laws. And no, I don't have to buy from a licensed dealer. :) Michigan isn't that lame yet. Our laws are catching up. We have a lot of grey areas that are trying to give legal definitions.

E: For what it's worth, I used my Mastercard for the previous 3 times I bought seeds, but I've since switch to AMEX and the company doesn't accept it.

Michigan doesn't even have legal recreational weed yet. Are they loving with the medical dispenceries? Everything I've found is that possession is illegal without a medical card for it, and usually growing is illegal in medical only states.

edit: found it. Medical users can Regis to grow plants. Neat.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 8, 2018

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Its even better when you look at wallets with less than the cost of a transaction. Unspendable money is real good.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

How does something like this work. Are they all connected together, or is it a ton of separate rigs mining independently?

They all work separately. No reason to make them work together when its just guessing numbers forever.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Klyith posted:

there was a SH/HC thread about mining butts for a while. but most of the people posting there weren't true believers, just believed enough to buy several thousand dollars of video cards and run them 24/7 in a milkcrate.

AARO ran an altcoin thread somewhere for a while, too.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Oh it just got resurrected https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860241

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah. I was waiting for him to burn down the property the whole video.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

poverty goat posted:

to be fair, if someone had compiled a list of all the real money scams since 2014 it wouldn't fit in the internet

now compile a list of non-scam bitcoin sites. how big is it?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSBC#Controversies

they got fined ~1.9B, but pretty sure they didn't actually pay anything and the criminal charges were dropped. Like nothing happened.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
$0

(~40B at "market value" if its 5 million coins, i forget the total number)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Wasn't it just 5k coins recently that cause the ~value~ to go down like 2k/coin? Imagine dumping just 50k coins.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

poverty goat posted:

Facebook has signed up more than a dozen companies including Visa, Mastercard, PayPal and Uber to back the new cryptocurrency that the social-media giant plans to unveil next week.

this is it! the year of bitcoin mass adoption!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
They haven't announced details yet but probably just that.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
There's no minefield for zuck he just does whatever

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I got paid a single Bitcoin when they were worth a few bucks. I promptly lost the wallet.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

ghosTTy posted:

Why does this chart make Nocoiners so uncomfortable? Is it because it has been 100% accurate over 7 years and always will be?

A chart of historical data is 100% accurate? Wow.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Dmitri-9 posted:

At one point you could buy steam codes with shitcoin but the price fluctuated too much so they got rid of that.

They were using a pass thru company and didn't touch the butts themselves. Didn't they stop it because like nobody used it?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
And coinbase is experiencing "problems". Convenient how these tend to happen on down turns.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, but this isn't even passing off the bag, though. This is like putting a shredder in front of your vending machine's bill acceptor.

Nobody says they don't keep the bits in the end, it's just your order has a 30 minute confirmation window. Once you've sent it there's no going back, even if it takes 30:01. Bitcoin is surely the currency of the future.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

Lmao that goons are so emotionally invested in cryptocurrencies failing.

I cry every day it doesn't fail.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Nessus posted:

Why do all of you people have the same complex narrative about FOMO? It is as consistent as the rising of the Sun.

It's probably always the same person in this thread :ssh:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

xtal posted:

watch doesn't detect changes between frames. You are comparing a finite state machine to a push down automaton.

watch does indeed detect changes between frames with the --difference flag. You imbecile. You loving moron.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
It's the greed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

MechaCrash posted:

I think the way it works is that if a large chunk of the processing suddenly goes offline, then the next chunk will take a hell of a long time to actually be calculated, but when it is, the difficulty will be recalculated and ratcheted down. It's not going to stay at "drat near impossible" forever, unfortunately.

Unless they changed it it's not immediate, but every fixed number of blocks the system evaluates the difficulty level. It's a couple thousand blocks, iirc?