Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Risc1911 posted:

I have only skimmed over the EULA but i did not see a mention of that company.

This might be illegal under the GDPR. I need to look this up. Sending Razer a GDPR request now to disclose who they send my data too.

https://medium.com/gamma-now/gamma-razer-partnership-b20a292b6158

You're doing God's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Lolie posted:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2329305.0

Doesn't want to keep local currency because it's unstable. Has Bitcoin. Hmmm.

Another person who also won't buy anything for Christmas :

quote:

We've already in it for a while. From 20K to today we all are watching collapsing of Bitcoin :)

But we all have still hope to be wealthy  I think I like this hope :)

We are getting older when waiting Bitcoin moon :)

Jesus Christ...

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Mr.PayDay posted:

“Bitcoin has never been under threat, and after this fall, it will rise again, shake off the dust and go further, because bitcoin today is not something fictional - it is a real currency recognized by many countries.
Now all weaklings will run away from this market and there will be only those who truly believe”

:allears:

Number of nation states that accept BTC as a currency: literally zero.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I think the only use of BTC in the coming years, besides being a cautionary tale, will be an increase development of block chain technologies for non-currency purposes..

Thoughts?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

the real floor looks like it’s $3k. it’s dropped off a whole bunch, but has yet to fall under that price. i bought a bunch when it fell close to $3100 last week, and I’m already getting some good gains off of that

it may dip down again close to $3k and I would say that’s the time to be buying some bitcoin if you’re planning on it

Alternatively, do not buy BTC

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

I can understand if the investment scares you a bit, but for people who are smart and don’t mind taking a risk, there’s definitely some money to be made there

I agree that there's money to be potentially made by speculating in crypto (there's an endless line of people who can't wait to lose money) but I wouldn't call that an investment

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

well whatever you call it, there's definitely money to be made. I've made a good return on my initial investment, and the secret really is just to be patient and wait for the price to go up. which it will since there's still too much attention it's getting from businesses for it not to despite all the negative press it's been getting lately

I sincerely doubt that this advice is being given in earnest.
You're telling people to invest in a worthless asset because it MIGHT go up, assuming more people don't realize it's worthless.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Sickening posted:

Remember when you got run out of the relationships thread for talking about this exact same dumb bullshit there? It’s almost like you have this weird obsession with bitcoin.

Wait... Why was btc a topic there?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

who says it's worthless? there are plenty of examples of people making money off of bitcoin even in this own thread, and anyone who would have bought bitcoin when they were much cheaper would still be able to sell them for a huge return even with the recent losses

not to mention the blockchain technology that supports is already being used by several large software firms, and several online shops accept it for payment as well (newegg, overstock, namecheap, etc)

so you may say it's worthless but it seems like there's a lot of people out there that would disagree with that

My argument about btc being worthless is that it's only a speculative asset, not associated to any product or service. It's main claim of being a currency (that is, being used to exchange for goods and services) simply has not materialized. Chucky cheese tokens are still accepted at more locations worldwide.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

your comparison to Chuck E. Cheese tokens isn’t really accurate or fair though; Chuck E. Cheese was already established decades before bitcoin came along and had stores that would guarantee that they’re accepted somewhere, where as bitcoin has been around for a much shorter time and started with no guarantee it would be accepted at any stores

but even given that, bitcoin is accepted at over 14,000 places worldwide

Pretty good for a currency that’s been around for less then a decade I say

I take your point on the number of Chuck E. Cheeses available.

Am I reading you correctly if I assume you're a BTC true believer? By that I mean that you think that BTC, within our lifetime, will be massively used as a currency?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

Definitely, bitcoin is an amazing currency, and I have no doubt that it will be one of the major worldwide currencies within a few decades. After all, it already has a presence in a significant amount of countries worldwide already, and that adoption rate doesn’t seem to be slowing down

1. How are you defining "presence" in "a significant amount of countries"? If a single man in Turkey uses bitcoin (or, let's say, 1,000 people), do you consider it to be "present" there?
2. How do you define "adoption" of BTC here, and how are you measuring it?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Fitness on the Blockchain because reasons.

Although in fairness Mark Cuban is a moron that is for some reason treated as a tech genius for selling his worthless company with zero proprietary technology or meaningful licenses during the dotcom orgy for billions of dollars and then was written off as worthless 3 years later.

Mark Cuban owns a yacht called Fountainhead in honor of Ayn Rand. That alone makes me want to punch him.

I don't think that's a fair or moral reaction... I just really want to punch Mark Cuban

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

The nifty ones are on aliexpress.

a real satoshi!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

even rich people post

but you’re right about one thing, I have been doing some fun things with the extra cash my investments have earned

Since people dogpiled a bit, you might have missed it, can you check my last questions to you regarding adoption?

Also, at what price point did you buy your btc?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

that’s true bitcoin can be a bit wasteful, but I wonder how bad it is compared to other things modern societies do like maintaining a fleet of nuclear subs as a form of deterrence, buying a new phone every two years or throwing literal mountains of plastic trash into the sea

besides it’s not like miners can’t use renewable energy, there are miners available today that use solar energy for example

I'm still waiting for you to elaborate on how btc is available in many countries, as has a huge rate of adoption. Thanks!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

well it looks like the dip is over with, bitcoin is back over $4k. no more cheap coins :(

ill probably be putting in a smaller order this weekend and wait to see where this peaks. who knows, maybe ill get another vacation out of this

how about you goons? did any of you take advantage of the recent dip?

Are you going to answer my questions?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Tashilicious posted:

sub 4K, 3700 last i checked.

merry stolen pagan holiday steeped in christofacism everyone

Ah yes, Christmas, the fascist holiday.

Edit :

divabot posted:

Twitter about Brave has been amazing the past two days, basically cos Brendan Eich tweets like he's been getting corporate relations and PR lessons from Elon Musk.

Here's a story from The Block about it. (Amy Castor wrote it, I fed her a pile of the research.)

It's important to remember that Brave literally only exists because Eich is world-famous for being a homophobe.

I think it's famous because he's a Mozilla co-founder, regardless of his idiotic ideas on prop 8.

Regardless, I like the idea of having an option to tip sites and "creators" in a manner similar to this one, but it's amazing how badly they implemented it... Not to mention that they'll place their own ads in the future.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 25, 2018

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

poverty goat posted:

it's pretty much the same as if they sent him a gift card. it's his, and if he doesn't use it the store will just take the money

To be fair, I don't think that's a fair comparison. You KNOW if someone gives you a gift card. The issue here is that the recipients don't know people are giving them money, and then the money goes to Brave.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Can you name another thing a Mozilla co-founder is doing that gets that much coverage?

Firefox?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

poverty goat posted:

I don't think anyone itt believes that tom Scott doesn't know about his Brave donations. That's even more absurd than 2 pages ago when everyone itt believed Brave was a crypto browser

I think you're misrepresenting the situation here. The problem, as far as I understood, happened as follows:

1. Brave gives users the option to donate to "creators" via BAT payments. In order to do so, Brave shows a picture of the creator in question, and a donate button. Everything there created the impression (since they now changed it) that the creator would receive the money, and is aware of the donations.
2. Brave will only notify the creator in question if they receive over 100 USD in donations (within 90 days) otherwise they'll keep these donations. No clear explanation exists of what happens if they don't know how to contact said creator, or if the creator doesn't want to take their funny money.
3. Tom Scott, in particularl, didn't know about these donations until someone pointed it out to him. Understandably, he didn't want a company to take money on his behalf, as if there was an actual connection between the two.
Do you see a problem with this model?

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I've made some profit on doge, and want to see it go up.

It's absolutely loving stupid, and it will definitely crash. Thankfully I can afford to lose what I bet on this.