Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Knot My President! posted:

Literally everything this person has said

The whataboutism is exceptionally strong with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Somfin posted:

This is actually a decent use for a theoretically environmentally friendly blockchain, holy poo poo

Put the cops on the blockchain

All Cops Are Blockchained

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Klyith posted:

:rip: John McAfee, he finally ate his own dick

Dammit, beaten because I stopped to find a decent story to link it to: https://apnews.com/article/john-mcafee-dead-spain-prison-extradition-c39cc0f375a975946fb83b60cc2bf3d3

Bacon Terrorist posted:

This is good for bitcoin?

I'm sure that within another 7 minutes, someone will have come up with a narrative by which McAfee committing suicide rather than be extradited to the US to stand trial for a crypto pump-and-dump scheme, is, in fact, good for bitcoin.

Edit: My work chat is now praying for a Netflix miniseries about the last 15 years of McAfee's life. I'm lobbying for Matthew McConaughey as the man himself.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 23, 2021

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

drk posted:

Crypto has a "gently caress you, dad" energy to it that appeals to some people. Of course, crypto is also entirely controlled by rich and/or powerful people

Crypto: The Hot Topic of Money

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

evergrande is imploding right now.

"Evergrande" sounds like something you can order at the Taco Bell in the Hogwarts student union.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

I remember being taught in high school computer class in the 1980s that the "move" command was a lie. It didn't move anything. It would make a copy of the thing, and then erase the original. Cut and paste does the same thing. Not only is the copy not the original, the original doesn't even exist anymore.

You might want to sit down: on Unix `mv` doesn't even do that in most cases. Unless the move is across a physical filesystem boundary (i.e. to a different device) the contents of a file will not be touched at all; the fs metadata will simply be updated to map the data to a different location in the tree.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

The reddit crypto thing is hilarious. Dude talks about how you'll own your comments and your karma (just like now), and subs can splinter if there are disagreements (just like now). But also they'll be distributing something that looks a lot like stock options, except with no defined path to cashing out; instead you can trade them in for avatar cosmetics, so... steam points but on the blockchain?

What there's no actual description of: actual ownership of Reddit or control over anything that happens there. Which, of course there isn't, because the people who already own Reddit aren't dumb. They're a pile of terrible people and well-documented racists, but they aren't dumb, because Reddit is owned by the 112 year-old media conglomerate, Conde Nast.

You know, exactly the sort who'll be leading the revolution that will democratize and decentralize everything.

Edit: It's actually better; looks like ownership of Reddit got transferred to Advance Publications, the parent company of Conde Nast. Advance is merely 99 years old, and the president of the company is this guy, who is a sprightly 93. Very hip and web3 and antiestablishment.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 9, 2021

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

How long are we gonna let GhostTTY keep posting weird graphs before we tell them that market prices are representations/manifestations of aggregate sentiment rather than the result of a mechanistic ruleset within some clockwork monetary universe? Markets are stochastic, and therefore, as is written in the prospectus of every fund in existance, past performance is no indicator of future results.

This is why insider trading is illegal: having privileged information lets you move before the market's sentiment catches up to a disruptive new reality. If you could know what was going to happen based on haruspicy of bar charts, insider information wouldn't be worth a drat and we wouldn't live in a universe where Martha Stewart smokes up with Snoop and Willie.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you missed it, I suggest checking out this post and some that follow. GhosTTTY is kind of like the thread mascot at this point.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3838405&pagenumber=1289&perpage=40#post520833941

My bad.

But I reserve the right to name my Alan Parsons Project tribute/concept album about cryptocurrency The Haruspex of Bar Charts.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/02/3-6-billion-bitcoin-seizure-shows-how-hard-it-is-to-launder-cryptocurrency/

Quick overview of what's known about how the feds stole all those bitcoins from the very talented rapper lady

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

lol

but also on that page

my dude you'd need approximately 1,270,000,000 (1.27B) of these to have one dollar

what

uh oh. even the coiners don't believe this bullshit

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

alnilam posted:

Love for my real regular currency that I use to buy real regular things to have swings 3-4x more drastic than the stock market.

No, crypto isn't a currency! It's a perfectly, algorithmically, unequivocably, unmistakably, stoically, unemotionally, concretely, supercalifragilisticexpialadociouslly stable store of value.

Which, self evidently, is why they're all down 17% today and 25% for the week.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

The "NASA metaverse" story is a real story, but as filtered through the greedy bullshit dreams of coiners.

The actual story is that NASA has a new public R&D challenge (one of a long line) to use VR/AR to advance the state of astronaut training. NASA is involved because astronaut training. Epic is involved because Unreal Engine. It's all pretty sane.

Non-bullshit news article: https://www.zdnet.com/article/nasa-and-epic-games-to-crowdsource-vr-tech-for-mars-exploration/

Actual website of the thing: https://www.herox.com/MarsXR

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Comment on the Luna page on coinmarketcap.com:

It's trying!

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Hammerite posted:

butts are struggling to stay above 28.5k. just watching this ticker and it plummeted from 28600 to 28300 in a few seconds, now it's back up a bit

I'm enjoying watching BTC flirt with $28k and ETH edge closer to $2K. Looking at that tab during meetings is like taking sips of cool water.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

https://twitter.com/glorybit_/status/1524655924396314626

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

dude you made slurp juice come out my nose

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

limp_cheese posted:

I like the female ape that looks like she is on the verge of crying and doesn't want to be there. Really nails the female experience of dealing with these guys.

ftfy

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

arent there some ex mines that are used for archival purposes?

offer NFTers to have [rint outs of their apes be stored there.

Oh and then offer other people paper shredding, flame throwers, and other ways to destroy the apes.

Those are all in large salt domes. Halite (which is what "table salt" is called when it's still in the ground) has several properties that make the inside of a several-gigatons mass of it good for storing things that you'd like to remain stable -- most notably being free of water seeps, else there wouldn't be a giant pile of salt in that place.

Random-rear end holes dug through varying compositions of rock do not share these traits.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

priznat posted:

It’s not a Ponzi scheme because it was not started by Charles Ponzi, what this is is a sparkling fraud.

This deserved more love.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I just wanna see BTC at 19999 and ETH at 999. That would put my whole weekend on the Lolchain.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Well, I got my weekend wish and then some :lol::lol::lol::lol:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

from r/cryptocurrency

Thing 1

Thing 2

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

fuctifino posted:

I just had an update from Derek Smart.

Dave Mata was hired 4 months ago as 'Director of Product, LiveOps' by Beamable. Their CEO, Jon Radoff, is also a friend of Derek and noticed the post on Derek's wall, and knew nothing about the SEC prosecution. As of 5 minutes ago, Dave Mata was fired.

lol

:drat:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Durzel posted:

You have to admire the sheer gall at saying that it's more important to make up a load of bullshit about what your JPG project is going to do, than it is to actually deliver any of it.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Normally I'd say something witty like "reading this broke my brain", but that wouldn't be true. What did break my brain is reading all the responses from dipshits who are basically agreeing with them :psyduck:

I'd like to introduce you to a little-known indie project called Star Citizen.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Talorat posted:

Not only does it still exist, it’s being actively maintained. I know because they upgraded it to HTTPS last year which broke a bunch of my testing infra. I was using zombo.com as a way to test HTTP parsing as it was the last living http site that I could find that never goes down.

Curse you zombo.com maintainers!

http://neverssl.com/ is maintained for this purpose, and also to trigger shittily implemented WiFi captive portals that work by sniffing for DNS requests.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Speaking of gaming and crypto, Sony announced this morning that it will be introducing Playstation Stars, which is just the Xbox and Switch rewards programs, but for Playstation. One of the things they mentioned in the initial blog post was "digital rewards" -- which they were very quick to clarify meant "just some cool art you can enjoy" and not "NFTs".

The reaction on r/ps5 is very uniformly "oh thank gently caress Sony isn't getting into NFT bullshit".

No one wants NFTs except shills and their marks.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

It was somehow dumber than that and had to do with attendance for his team's basketball game.

I just love all those classic outdoor NBA games on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

more falafel please posted:

Vegas is designed to make you feel like you're having a good time, constantly.

Las Vegas makes me feel like i'm taking constant low-level psychic damage from the generalized, greasy miasma of hucksterism and desperation which pervades it. Is there a manager I can talk to? Maybe get a refund of the time I spent there?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

the better troll would have been to have left this account with that first post but seraph can't help himself

Same attention-seeking, validation-and-acceptance-craving, but is-driven-by-superiority-complex-to-post-like-an-rear end in a top hat bullshit as always.

Also just loving lol at the ignorance and privilege of "Mexican ecovillage". Yeah, let's go glamping forever with our burner friends in a pretty place where some poor people used to live, but, you know, they weren't really seeing its potential.

Ban the pedo.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

The Wolf of Wall Street has been invoked in this thread about a million times. Tonight prime video was like "hey, that movie is available now. wanna watch it?" so I was like "sure".

It was like having the past two years of this thread condensed into three hours, but with all the inlined crypto-brainworms tweets replaced by snappy dialogue. The first 30 minutes of that movie are literally the playbook for every one of these scams. The rest of it is how every cryptobro imagines themselves, until the last 45 minutes which is the part that their Dunning-Kreuger assures them will never happen because they're far too smart for that.

I know I'm the last person in the thread to see this movie and realize all this, but it was so transparent that I had to come post this anyway.

Also, Joanna Lumley was a delight. Should have been more of her in the movie.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Your username should be "Hodl my Dognl" for symmetry. Think the joke through more fully next re-reg.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

ASIC miners now on Walmart -- at a discount!

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/walmart-sellers-now-listing-dollar6000-bitcoin-mining-machines

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Very interested in these "US agency violations", but WaPo was unable to get a clarification from Binance.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

drk posted:

There are so, so many banks and credit unions that dont charge account maintenance fees and also have no minimum balance (or a minimum of like $5). With overdraft also being opt in, there should be decent solutions even for people who may occasionally or even frequently empty their accounts. Not only that, but if they are really spending 10% of their salary on check cashing fees, even a fairly terrible bank account with a high account maintenance fee would be better.

Financial institutions have credit checks to open accounts, OP. That's what the "application" process is. It's a credit check. US finance is not a democratic institution or a public utility. They don't have to give you all the nice things you just listed; you qualify for them via credit checks.

It's how people get stuck in the lovely situations that other posters have described. It's not that poor people lack gumption, or are ignorant of the existence of banks, or whatever you think the problem is.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 14, 2023

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

If this is true, we're a bunch of idiots who flushed their life savings down the toilet. But that couldn't be!

It isn't quite true. Overstock's bid is for "business data", the rights to mobile apps, and "certain contracts". The bid is explicitly not for the retail stores or inventory.

This doesn't really change much for all the memestockers though. As someone whose company is currently going through Chapter 11, I can report that just because your stalking horse bigger only wants part of the company doesn't mean other people are gonna swoop in and magically buy up the rest.

The most likely outcome is that what Overstock is bidding on is the part of BBBY that the market thinks is most valuable and the rest just gets auctioned off, for next to nothing, after the bankruptcy sale closes. Buncha stonk nerds gonna be taking a bath (and probably not in fancy soaps).

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Report from the Bed Bath and Beyond crazies:

• They're mostly convinced that this is the last weekend before they all get rich, because the BBBY auction sale is Wednesday
  • They believe BBBYQ will dramatically increase in price after the sale, but mostly for reasons that I can't understand even after good faith efforts to decypher their argot and belief systems
  • They still view their actions as a righteous war against "criminal" hedge funds and people holding short positions
  • As a side note, BBBYQ is currently 22% short
  • Some of them are worried that the kerfuffle in Russia over the past 36 hours was a false flag -- not by either of the belligerents, but by the (((GLOBALISTS))) to cause a stock market crash just before their bankruptcy sale, thus preventing the prophecy from becoming true
  • Some of them believe that Ryan Cohen (Gamestop board; founder of Chewy) is directly in cahoots with Patrick Byrne (crypto bro; former CEO of Overstock, which is buying some of BBBY's assets), and in once-removed cahoots with Warren Buffet because Byrne is a Buffet fanboy. This sect believes that these cahooting activities will be what brings about the short squeeze that makes them rich
  • Several of those who believe they'll be rich come Wednesday afternoon are planning to become billionaires by converting all their winnings into -- wait for it! -- Gamestop calls for January! (I do wonder why January, but I don't care enough to dig any further)
  • Some of the ones on the BBBYQ --> GME master plan are actually worried that those stocks will "moon" at essentially the same time, ruining their chances of buying low on Gamestop

Whoo!

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Nostalgia for a GameStop that never existed.

What if that store I loved as a kid, but redesigned for 40 year old men, a hip gastropub with a bouncer and the high end merchandise I can afford now and video gaming areas

It basically did exist, for a handful of years. Excepting the bouncer and bar food (what?!) he's describing a Media Play.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/10/sbf-trial-to-begin-as-judge-says-he-faces-very-long-sentence-if-convicted/

quote:

"Your client in the event of conviction could be looking at a very long sentence," US District Judge Lewis Kaplan told SBF's lawyers in a hearing on Thursday while rejecting the defense's request for a temporary release from jail. "If things begin to look bleak... maybe the time would come when he would seek to flee"
:lol:

quote:

"I think the government's case looks extremely strong," Sarah Paul, a former assistant US attorney and partner at law firm Evershed Sutherland, was quoted as saying in a Financial Times article. "They have multiple cooperating witnesses who worked very closely with him and are going to say that they committed a crime with him. It's hard to imagine that doesn't carry the day here."

According to Reuters, "Kaplan said on Thursday that prosecutors had requested that he grant two additional witnesses immunity from being charged with crimes in exchange for their testimony. He did not identify those witnesses."

The former executives who pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate are Nishad Singh, Zixiao "Gary" Wang, and Caroline Ellison
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Just wanna post this portrait of Sam Bankman-Fried from a WashPo article: