Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

cauxist posted:

There's a dude I know making maybe 200k USD from virtual clothing. There's a handful of goons left in game. You can find them here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Baku/109/221/52

Baku still exists and goons still hang there? Holy gently caress.

I got curious about what sl was like these days a few years ago and logged in. The entire place except the furry, gorean, and other sex pervert sims was completely empty.

drat shame imo, because regardless of the fact that 90% of people take nearly unlimited creative power and then do either basic bitch/bastard virtual clubbing or weird sex poo poo with it, the idea was brilliant and by the time I left the tech was..... Uh...... Lets say it was passable verging on good.

I'll never forgive linden labs for mismanaging it on practically every level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies
Second Life was pretty fun up until most the creative people got banned or left. A small enclave of holdouts is still clinging to the bones of this dead typefucking simulator, but all of the areas in-game now look like the worst aspects of the internet given form.

Did anyone actually make any real money from SL, or was it all just spacebucks in the end?

cauxist
Feb 6, 2005

Nathilus posted:

I got curious about what sl was like these days a few years ago and logged in. The entire place except the furry, gorean, and other sex pervert sims was completely empty.

drat shame imo, because regardless of the fact that 90% of people take nearly unlimited creative power and then do either basic bitch/bastard virtual clubbing or weird sex poo poo with it, the idea was brilliant and by the time I left the tech was..... Uh...... Lets say it was passable verging on good.

Well there's a few old goons poking around still. Baku went through a lot changes after w-hat.
https://imgur.com/a/maKth

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Eat the rich and bring out the guillotine!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Anyone remember that crazy bitch sl real estate mogul? Anshe chung or something like that?

I hope she died irl. :clint:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nathilus posted:

Anyone remember that crazy bitch sl real estate mogul? Anshe chung or something like that?

she got her e speech interrupted by flying dongs

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Hector Beerlioz posted:

she got her e speech interrupted by flying dongs

:waycool:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
There was an Indian guy that griefed really good. It was funny

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
They should do another second life safari

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Hector Beerlioz posted:

They should do another second life safari

Would be boring these days. It was cool when people were still doing lots of fun and creative stuff back in the day but liek i said Im p sure its just weirdo sex stuff at this point. And not the kind thats interesting.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Every now and then I log in and Baku has some weird and wonderful poo poo going on.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
Yeah, last time I played Second Life all the mainlands were abandoned, and all the dedicated players would seclude themselves to isolated islands with restricted access. Linden Labs got lazy and stopped participating with the community, and eventually everybody got bored and left, leaving the weirdos and their virtual sex dungeons behind. Maybe instead of a Second Life Safari it can be a Second Life Urbex.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Owers posted:

Yeah, last time I played Second Life all the mainlands were abandoned, and all the dedicated players would seclude themselves to isolated islands with restricted access. Linden Labs got lazy and stopped participating with the community, and eventually everybody got bored and left, leaving the weirdos and their virtual sex dungeons behind. Maybe instead of a Second Life Safari it can be a Second Life Urbex.

Somebody record this and put it on YouTube.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nathilus posted:

second life has more people than ever it's just everyone is off in private areas e-loving and it's not like you can get a bunch of goons in a car and drive around the mainland to find people anymore

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My dad remains really into Second Life and I would describe his fascination with it as like building model trains in your sunset years but instead it's giant Alice-in-Wonderland-style landscapes with castles staffed by programmed chatbots and such. I believe he's on OpenSimulator now. It's actually quite impressive with giant sims done in the manner of interactive games and he's probably spent thousands of hours on it. There's a community around his sims and demographically it's like, all boomers. (Whether they do freaky stuff -- don't ask. I haven't. I don't wanna. None of my business anyways.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLPpXNhL9z8

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 26, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh. I would say he is rich as gently caress in SL because he made a decent chunk of change doing programming and engineering for drat near 40 years, so he bought his own servers to run everything. I would say he's very liberal but growing up I would say he had a socially conservative streak in the sense of absorbing many of the attitudes of the business world he was in.

SL really shook that out of him though since there's a ton of trans people on it and various purple-haired characters, so overall it has been quite positive for him. For sure I wouldn't trade my rich, somewhat crazy, possibly pervy, virtual cyberpunk dad who has lots of trans friends.

Cum Galleon
Oct 16, 2004

Your shipment has arrived.
I went on second life once and a Goth man was sat down and I made my (fat, nappy wearing, blunt smoking) man stand right in front of him and he went on a screaming tirade about how I was ignorant. I never logged on again. That's my second life story, see ya.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I like that pic of the goblin interrupting the cyber sex

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Nathilus posted:

I hope she is proud of her virtual empire.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Hardawn posted:

I like that pic of the goblin interrupting the cyber sex

Second Life trolling is the best thing to come out of Second Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZERGog8oegg

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I used to go on there frequently a few years back. I had an abandoned account that I resurrected from 2009, so everyone thought I was some kind of veteran superstar, when I didn't even know what the gently caress I was doing.

There were a few clubs that had great trance sets and good DJs.

I paid for a "pro" account that let me own a house on the mainland. After that, I bid on some property and created a flying "skybox" home that was fairly bitchin'. This also gave me a weekly Linden dollar allowance. I think I still have about 70 USD IRL sitting in that game waiting to be converted.

I promised myself that I wouldn't do any cyber sex or "pixel grinding" as they call in in world. Guess what I did the first night? As luck would have it, there are tons of female avatars(probably controlled by gross old dudes) willing to bang. It was actually lots of cringe-worthy fun.

A few weeks into the whole foray, I decided to start writing romance novels, so I bailed on it and just let it accrue money until I ended it.

The second I get a decent VR headset, I'm going back in to wreck more avatar pelvises in first person.

Linden is also doing project Sansar, which is an attempt at making a cleaner direct VR SL thing. I'm in the beta for some reason, and it suck so much rear end.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Gross dude

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
This HR textbook I'm working through keeps talking about doing employee orientation, training, team-building and all kinds of other poo poo in Second Life, so I'm pretty sure the author is a furry.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
[quote="“Rad-daddio”" post="“477757954”"]
I used to go on there frequently a few years back. I had an abandoned account that I resurrected from 2009, so everyone thought I was some kind of veteran superstar, when I didn’t even know what the gently caress I was doing.

I paid for a “pro” account that let me own a house on the mainland. After that, I bid on some property and created a flying “skybox” home that was fairly bitchin’. This also gave me a weekly Linden dollar allowance. I think I still have about 70 USD IRL sitting in that game waiting to be converted.

I promised myself that I wouldn’t do any cyber sex or “pixel grinding” as they call in in world. Guess what I did the first night? As luck would have it, there are tons of female avatars(probably controlled by gross old dudes) willing to bang. It was actually lots of cringe-worthy fun.

A few weeks into the whole foray, I decided to start writing romance novels, so I bailed on it and just let it accrue money until I ended it.

The second I get a decent VR headset, I’m going back in to wreck more avatar pelvises in first person.

Linden is also doing project Sansar, which is an attempt at making a cleaner direct VR SL thing. I’m in the beta for some reason, and it suck so much rear end.
[/quote]

The internet was a mistake.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Flambeau posted:

This HR textbook I'm working through keeps talking about doing employee orientation, training, team-building and all kinds of other poo poo in Second Life, so I'm pretty sure the author is a furry.

There was a big push to make SL a type of employee training center and meeting place. Lots of universities have their own sim still. All of it is abandoned.

One of the best things to do in SL is wander around the abandoned sims that still are being paid for by someone. I stumbled across an entire sim for "What not to Wear", which was a fashion reality show on TLC(might still be on). Duran Duran also has a sim.

Fun story; I found out that you can search for sims based on whether or not they allow you to spawn your own "prims" which are things like object house etc. I setup shop by spawning my skybox mansion on the TLC show's sim. Last i checked, it was still there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm genuinely surprised this game is still going.

same. because of this thread i logged into my old account from back in the SA second life days and found its still operating! all of the areas seemed quite empty, it was kind of like being the sole survivor of an apocalypse in future Tokyo or something.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rad-daddio posted:

I used to go on there frequently a few years back. I had an abandoned account that I resurrected from 2009, so everyone thought I was some kind of veteran superstar, when I didn't even know what the gently caress I was doing.

I paid for a "pro" account that let me own a house on the mainland. After that, I bid on some property and created a flying "skybox" home that was fairly bitchin'. This also gave me a weekly Linden dollar allowance. I think I still have about 70 USD IRL sitting in that game waiting to be converted.

I promised myself that I wouldn't do any cyber sex or "pixel grinding" as they call in in world. Guess what I did the first night? As luck would have it, there are tons of female avatars(probably controlled by gross old dudes) willing to bang. It was actually lots of cringe-worthy fun.

The second I get a decent VR headset, I'm going back in to wreck more avatar pelvises in first person.

Linden is also doing project Sansar, which is an attempt at making a cleaner direct VR SL thing. I'm in the beta for some reason, and it suck so much rear end.

this seems kinda hosed up

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Rutibex posted:

same. because of this thread i logged into my old account from back in the SA second life days and found its still operating! all of the areas seemed quite empty, it was kind of like being the sole survivor of an apocalypse in future Tokyo or something.

Post pics of the desolate wasteland?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

solar energy panel posted:

Second Life trolling is the best thing to come out of Second Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZERGog8oegg

Esteban that was the guy I was thinking about. Christ this is from a long time ago.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Post pics of the desolate wasteland?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

this seems kinda hosed up

It was. The entire foray was basically a one person social experiment to see what I could/would do in a limitless world of low poly nonsense. Suffice to say, it's good I'm not left to my own devices IRL.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Thread inspired me to visit Baku. Sad to see the W-Hat gravestone, but nice to see new stuff is made once in a while.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
second life? i dont even have a first one lmao

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Rad-daddio posted:

It was. The entire foray was basically a one person social experiment to see what I could/would do in a limitless world of low poly nonsense. Suffice to say, it's good I'm not left to my own devices IRL.

I appreciate your willingness to own up to gleefully pounding pixel rear end, most people wouldn't do that.

I only dicked around in Second life for a few hours and it was like a laggy fever dream. All kinds of surreal poo poo to fly around and see, from the playfully whimsical to the sexually horrifying. People get real creative which is awesome, but some idle hands and all that...

I never, ever understood why universities and pretty much everything else in the world went through a phase where they all wanted to have a virtual campus/studio/office in SL.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I appreciate your willingness to own up to gleefully pounding pixel rear end, most people wouldn't do that.

I only dicked around in Second life for a few hours and it was like a laggy fever dream. All kinds of surreal poo poo to fly around and see, from the playfully whimsical to the sexually horrifying. People get real creative which is awesome, but some idle hands and all that...

I never, ever understood why universities and pretty much everything else in the world went through a phase where they all wanted to have a virtual campus/studio/office in SL.

I admit, I didn't do much of the cyber sex. It was more a matter of, "Hey neat/HOLY poo poo! What did I just do to that AV!?!" I proceeded on to more normal pursuits after that. I was primarily interested in playing with the Linden exchange, or maybe doing some gambling. Most of what I found was just an abandoned wasteland, but that was fun to check out for awhile too.

A lot of the people that I interacted with were kind of lovely to me. I suppose it was mainly because most of the friend groups that are there are pretty tight knit. That, and they probably spend way too much time justifying SL and how much time they spend there.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
The in-real-time new company logo reveal that some goon sabotaged ahead of time , then snuck into and recorded so that the reveal was some fat naked cartoon dude in front of the company instead of the logo was amazing.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

there was a griefing pic that was posted in some thread about how 2 people were having cyber sex in the penthouse of a highrise building in SL, and some goon made a pink monster the size of stay puft marshmellow man was leering at them through the 100th story window

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

My dad had a pretty sweet side business going in SL where he built houses, did landscaping, and did "photo shoots" for people and would get some pretty sweet compensation.
I wish I knew if his account info and if the house and land he had owned was still there. :(

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've never played Second Life but I read a lot of posts about this on this forum. My first life is really lame and I don't have any friends so this sounds like something i might like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I've never played Second Life but I read a lot of posts about this on this forum. My first life is really lame and I don't have any friends so this sounds like something i might like

There's something kinda similar on Steam right now. Tower Unite: http://store.steampowered.com/app/394690/Tower_Unite/

It seems to be less about griefing and more about seeing what messed up stuff people put in their house/mansions. Games thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838146

Light Gun Man posted:

So there's this game you probably? haven't heard of called Tower Unite. It's a game where you get to decorate your own virtual house. And more importantly, visit the homes of random internet strangers, safari style. In this thread I'm gonna post dumb screenshots of strange poo poo I've seen, hopefully a new update every week or so. I try to only post screenshots of stuff I actually thought was somehow funny or particularly bizarre, like yeah almost every house has anime porno on the wall but not every one is an elaborate custom built porno museum, I'd rather post the latter. Here is a link to my previous posts in the Games Screenshots thread where I've posted stuff from this game before. If you have the game and would like to post your findings as well, please do!

So what is this game even about? You might ask. Well the short summary is that it's kind of an online hangout game. There are several minigames to play (bowling, golf, laser tag, etc), all of which can be played with others. Playing these games gives you in game currency, which you can then spend on things like your character's appearance or more importantly, things to decorate your condo with. Every piece of furniture you see in these screenshots had to be bought at an in-game store with earned money and manually placed in these houses. For the record, there are no micro transactions or anything like that, it's all just in-game currency. This game started life as Gmod Tower, a mod for Garry's Mod. Tower Unite is a standalone commercial product, I believe by the same developers as Gmod Tower.

Here's the official trailer, which gives a pretty decent little overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdXzTkCn7r0

Minigolf is probably the most "developed" of the minigames so far, it's pretty fun. Apparently it can be played with up to 16 players at once, and everyone golfs at the same time so there's no waiting around forever per shot. Virus is a FPS mode where one person becomes a zombie and must try to touch the other players to spread the infection while the others try to kill them to stay uninfected. Round is over when everyone is infected or a time limit runs out. It's still a bit unpolished but it is pretty drat fun regardless. Bowling is bowling, but you can customize your ball and stuff and recently the physics have started working a lot better than they used to and I've been getting way better scores so hell yeah. Laser Tag was added recentely, you run around in an indoor arena and try to zap each other, pretty straightforward. Better with more people. Little Crusaders is a somewhat more unique game based on a game mode from Gmod Tower that was based on Mother 3 (The Gmod Tower version had the Ultimate Chimera instead of a dragon.) You have to try and push the button on the back of a dragon to defeat it. Players take turns being the dragon or the knights trying to stop it. That game seems to have a bit of a skill ceiling I don't quite understand, because boy are other players wayyy better at it than I am. Planet Panic is kind of like a capture the flag mode but with several small orbs instead of a flag, winner is whoever gets the most at their base when the timer runs out. It's considered to be in alpha and there isn't a whole lot to the game as of now. And there are other games like Trivia, a game where you try to type words really fast, and several different casino games that you can waste hours / all your money on trying for a jackpot. And of course, several other games planned for the future that are still being worked on.

Should I rush out to buy this?? I dunno. That's up to you. The game is $15 and still in early access. They do a new patch every so often once some new features are ready. They have a pretty neat little roadmap thing (which is kept up to date) that tells you what they're working on: https://trello.com/b/6BwRMiPw/tower-unite-roadmap . I would warn that this game is like, full of furries, anime pedos, and racists. Sometimes all at once. The global chat is like almost always gonna have some edgelord droppin n-words to look tough or whatever. But hey, if you're reading this thread you read SA so, you know how the internet can be. It is also not super-mega-active as far as user counts go. Some nights there's less than a hundred people on the whole game, sometimes more like two or three hundred. Major patches usually kicks it up an extra hundred or two for the night. It's also not the best optimized game in the world, your performance will vary wildly. This has gotten much better over time with patches but it's still an issue at times (especially in houses with a LOT of items placed)

If anyone has further questions about the game feel free to ask in here and I'll do my best to answer. Anyway we're here to laugh at strange houses so let's get back to some pictures. Here's a bit of a "Best Of" my previous postings.

• Locked thread