Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Flavahbeast posted:

really makes you question the logic of threatening Ukraine to try and force Washington policy outcomes

Sounds to me like Russia is simply moving forward with its own machinations and doesn't give a single gently caress about america and the only reason it's even a thing is because dems are desperately trying to make it a thing to put something, anything on the board for biden before the midterm exsanguination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The funny thing about the Fight Club alternate ending is that it's not even the first time that's happened in China. They recut the ending to Infernal Affairs for the mainland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWT04Wkwtb4

The most anti-ACAB country

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
project mayhem tries to crash the mall but are stopped on the way by the people's police who take them to jail where they're reformed to become productive citizens

then the cops sing a song at the mall to reassure everyone that the bad guys have been taken care of. the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYRQVEJ5Lck

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Asproigerosis posted:

Sounds to me like Russia is simply moving forward with its own machinations and doesn't give a single gently caress about america and the only reason it's even a thing is because dems are desperately trying to make it a thing to put something, anything on the board for biden before the midterm exsanguination

If Biden "surrenders" to Russia, he'll have the best foreign policy of any president since FDR.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I do wonder what's going to happen.

Marcos is the current favorite for winning the election in May, and he's also the one that's been friendliest to Chinese interests (to the point where local media is screaming 24/7 about him being a Manchurian Candidate), but I'm not exactly keen on his ability to govern competently or to not just pocket whatever foreign support he gets, whether from east OR west.

Anyone know if Hun Sen is/was a popular leader among his own people?

Well. He thinks he can just hand power to his son.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Dynastic inheritance probably means someone isn't smart

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Al-Saqr posted:

Total war 3 really makes the chinese and russians out to be the good guys.

The west are the ogres because of their need to consume and exploit everything and Greasus Goldtooth is donald trump and the american psyche.

i've never played a warhammer game but lmao you play as white russia that wins the civil war before you fight the demons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svemynoNXW4

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Isentropy posted:

Dynastic inheritance probably means someone isn't smart

Oh, I agree. Even Marcos Sr thought Bongbong was a dullard and was worried about how he'd keep the regime going if he had to hand it over to him.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

crepeface posted:

i've never played a warhammer game but lmao you play as white russia that wins the civil war before you fight the demons?

you can be Rasputin instead if you want to fight for the other team (bear church?)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

that Warhammer 3 scenario seems like the player has to defeat the Old Believers, not the Bolsheviks

I wonder if any Sega execs are concerned about releasing a game where fantasy China and Russia are the good guys

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

crepeface posted:

Nah it's still all feudalism. You play as the Russia/slavs holding back the barbarian hordes.

Behind them is the proper civilized Holy Roman Empire, and behind them is some weird mix of feudal Britain/France.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

the rest i dont care about but this one defeats the entire point of the movie imo

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

weird mix of feudal Britain/France.

That's just what the Angevin Empire would've been in a fantasy setting, bub.

Meanwhile, Albion is like a desolate Roman-era rock populated by giants.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

CaptainACAB posted:

the rest i dont care about but this one defeats the entire point of the movie imo

comrade Xi please cut off the original ending of Contact so it actually makes sense thank you

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraine-russia-war-consequences-invasion-europe/

quote:

The question is not whether Ukraine could repel an attack, but rather how long it could keep the Russians at bay — and what happens next.

“The Russians might not have much difficulty declaring victory after a few weeks, but that’s when the real war will begin,” said Maximilian Terhalle, a German war studies scholar and visiting professor at the London School of Economics. “The difficulty would be to hold it and the Russians could very quickly be looking at a brutal guerrilla war.”

Moscow’s conditions for pulling back — a ban on further NATO expansion, the end of cooperation between the alliance and nonmembers and a halt to NATO activity on the territory of its Central and Eastern European members — were obvious nonstarters. One theory is that with his unrealistic wish list, the Russian leader was simply trying to create a fig leaf for the history books, in the hope that he won’t be the only one blamed for what comes next.

“About the only thing not on the list was a request to return Alaska,” said Michael Kofman, a leading expert on the Russian military and director of the Russia studies program at CNA, a Washington-based think tank.

Russian forces would take a similar approach to other key urban centers, such as Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second-largest city, located in the northeast of the country less than 50 kilometers from the border. In addition to regular forces, the Russian buildup also includes units of the Russian national guard, whose mission would be to help manage an occupation by ensuring order in the cities and helping Russian intelligence round up suspected dissidents and anyone else they suspect would resist them. Those arrested would be sent to prison camps, either in Ukraine or back in Russia.

A big question is how much resistance the Russians would face. Moscow appears to be betting on Ukrainians in the east, where Russian is the dominant language, to roll over and accept a union with their northern cousins, an assumption some observers think is a big mistake.

“The Russians are underestimating the Ukrainian resolve,” said Gustav Gressel, a Russia analyst with the European Council on Foreign Relations, who thinks the Ukrainians would put up a fierce fight.

But that would leave the Russians with two options: to pull back and accept a diplomatic settlement, or to double down.

“My gut tells me Putin will double down because the only way he can achieve his political goal of asserting control over Ukraine is to subjugate the country and occupy it,” Gressel said.

Germany’s resistance to spending more on defense would evaporate.

Those moves would make Russia even more dependent on China, opening Putin up to pressure from Beijing.

And unlike during the Cold War, the U.S. has to split its attention between Asia and Europe.

Another big concern is that China could use a crisis in Ukraine to try and take Taiwan by force, a step that would thrust the world into an even deeper crisis.

politico is an imperialist rag yadda yadda but i have never seen something like this published on the site. here's the artwork:

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

i say swears online posted:

lol

https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraine-russia-war-consequences-invasion-europe/

politico is an imperialist rag yadda yadda but i have never seen something like this published on the site. here's the artwork:

western media furiously masturbating to the thought of recreating afghanistan in europe

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

this film is dedicated to the brave nazi fighters of ukraine

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
wait during the Cold War america DID split its attention everywhere lol this writer is a bozo

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

i say swears online posted:

The Taliban Russians are underestimating the ANA Ukrainian resolve,” said failson #24324234

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

wait during the Cold War america DID split its attention everywhere lol this writer is a bozo

that and the line about germany military spending were my two favs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lostconfused posted:

Nah it's still all feudalism. You play as the Russia/slavs holding back the barbarian hordes.

Behind them is the proper civilized Holy Roman Empire, and behind them is some weird mix of feudal Britain/France.

Also there's weird lizard Aztecs led by frog wizards and evil slaver American elves and undead pirates.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LittleBlackCloud posted:

Apparently in the book, the bombs don't work and he also goes to a mental hospital. China cares about accurate adaptations.
update:

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1486500476958957568

quote:

"The irony is that the way the Chinese have changed it is they've aligned the ending almost exactly with the ending of the book, as opposed to Fincher's ending, which was the more spectacular visual ending," he said. "So in a way, the Chinese brought the movie back to the book a little bit."

Palahniuk has been bemused by the sudden outcry to the changed ending, given that he's dealt with censorship for decades when it comes Fight Club. "What I find really interesting is that my books are heavily banned throughout the U.S.," he said. "The Texas prison system refuses to carry my books in their libraries. A lot of public schools and most private schools refuse to carry my books. But it's only an issue once China changes the end of a movie? I've been putting up with book banning for a long time."

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 08:37 on Jan 27, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that headline is so 2012 that i can't in good conscience click it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

It's also not at all close to the book ending - what a weird thing to bring up. The book ending is that the bombing fails due to the protagonist being incompetent at bomb-making, but the secret society's infiltration of bougie polity continues with the implication that it's been so successful it's now endemic. It does not glorify or validate the state - it's a joke about a grand anarchist plot that is thwarted by tripping over its own feet. Even then, the implication is that in the future, there'll probably be a successful bombing, because the ideas that propelled the first one are powerful, rooted in some kind of truth, and aren't going away.

This ending is, "the police heroically arrest everyone, save the day, and the disruptive criminal Tyler Durden (who, let's be clear, does not exist in the text of the movie) is arrested and sent to a lunatic asylum until he is cured of his subversive tendencies". It's downright goofy in how much boot it licks.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
hmm. D&D is talking about how the ideas propelling a terrorist bombing campaign are "powerful, rooted in some kind of truth, and aren't going away." someone needs to keep an eye on those guys. you can never be too careful these days.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

using the china edit of fight club to successfully recruit for my revolutionary cell

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Funny how D&D seemingly wants anarchy, violence, and lawlessness. It's positively glowing over there.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lol wait Russia wants ukraine to give up on joining nato? They were still trying to join nato?! After nato made them give up their nukes then left their rear end to rot and sure as gently caress didn't do anything to help with crimea? Lol. Lmao.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

That's not that rare,really. The difficult part always comes afterwards when the US doesn't feel bound by anything the EU negotiated and the EU lacks the institutional support to defend their compromise against US wrecking.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

crepeface posted:

Its pre industrial society, so there is no red kislev.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cremnob/status/1486623180408209409?t=BQ9BcGdLUE-7hVdk47PipA&s=19
https://twitter.com/cremnob/status/1486626203553439746?t=h3kW5HbrqI2xmb5tNX7AGA&s=19

The media's silence on the cultural genocide in Ukraine is deafening

We need to boycott all products made in Kiev

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Asproigerosis posted:

Lol wait Russia wants ukraine to give up on joining nato? They were still trying to join nato?! After nato made them give up their nukes then left their rear end to rot and sure as gently caress didn't do anything to help with crimea? Lol. Lmao.

what NATO did for ukraine was, in 2008, knowing full well russia's position on ukraine and nato since at the very least 2nd yelcin term, tell ukraine that they're most definitely gonna be in nato

and after that did absolutely nothing to actually getting them into nato, directly leading to the events in 2014. if they didn't string them along (either by simply not saying bullshit, or by not telling them in public how they're tolly getting in any time now while doing nothing), i highly doubt any of this would be going on right now

i don't give a poo poo about russia's ~security concerns~ but also lmfao @ idiots pretending this wasn't also directly caused by nato completely ignoring russian wishes for ~20 years until they figured they're in a position to not give a poo poo and go for it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol, cremnob. thats a name that brings me back.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Truga posted:

what NATO did for ukraine was, in 2008, knowing full well russia's position on ukraine and nato since at the very least 2nd yelcin term, tell ukraine that they're most definitely gonna be in nato

and after that did absolutely nothing to actually getting them into nato, directly leading to the events in 2014. if they didn't string them along (either by simply not saying bullshit, or by not telling them in public how they're tolly getting in any time now while doing nothing), i highly doubt any of this would be going on right now

i don't give a poo poo about russia's ~security concerns~ but also lmfao @ idiots pretending this wasn't also directly caused by nato completely ignoring russian wishes for ~20 years until they figured they're in a position to not give a poo poo and go for it

Maidan was a revolution agitating for Ukraine to join the EU, not NATO. Which is even more unrealistic if you think about it for even a second. EU has zero interest in letting a shithole country like Ukraine in the club, but they'll string them along indefinitely the same way they did Turkey or do for Serbia.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
idk they let us and croatia in lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://businessmirror.com.ph/2022/01/26/ka-leody-outlines-leadership-platform-on-economy-labor-taxation-if-elected-president/

quote:

PRESIDENTIAL aspirant and labor leader Leodegario “Ka Leody” de Guzman talked about his socioeconomic reform advocacies, focusing on the labor market, agriculture and taxation.

During the recent Pandesal Forum held at the Kamuning Bakery Café in Quezon City, he said that together with his running mate, vice presidential candidate Dr. Walden Bello, they are running “not only for change of faces and personalities in politics, but to advocate systemic reforms.”

Among the proposals for change of the presidential bet of Partido Lakas ng Masa and chairman of the Bukluran ng Manggagawang Pilipino is reducing working hours for workers and employees from eight hours to six hours daily, but maintaining same benefits and wages so that millions of additional new jobs can be created.

De Guzman plans to impose a one-time 20-percent wealth tax on the country’s top 500 families to finance his P1-trillion Philippine economic recovery plan. It will consist of P475 billion for his public jobs generation program, P400 billion for health stimulus and P125 billion assistance for micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs).

If elected president, he will double the budget for agriculture subsidies and support for farmers and fishermen; push for progressive taxation of taxing more the rich and lessening taxes regressive taxation on ordinary workers like the value- added tax or VAT; nationalize basic and strategic public utilities like water and power services to prioritize “people over profits.”

His “Labor First Policy” aims to allay the worries of MSMEs. It includes instituting a P750 national minimum wage and the abolition of all forms of contractualization.

What we are fighting for is ‘labor first’ not ‘labor only’. The next-in-line beneficiary of substantial wage hikes and regularization will be the MSME sector because Filipino[s] will have more purchasing power to buy from local businesses. The demand for their goods and services will correspondingly increase. To counter the tendency to increase prices with higher demand, the other pressing concerns of small business have to be addressed through government intervention, regulation, and control to power rates and fuel prices,” the presidential hopeful explained in both Filipino and English.

Ka Leody also wants to institute a People’s Sovereign Wealth Fund to bankroll local industrialization via aggressively investing in MSME’s where importation is highest.

He intends to initially finance this with $50 billion from the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas’ Gross International Reserves, which has already reached $107.9 billion as of October 2021 as driven by a decade’s worth of remittance inflow from overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).

“Let us view the country’s Gross International Reserves as a fund for our workers, after all, it was pooled from the collective sweat and blood of OFWs. Utilize the fund to create opportunities for decent lives and decent jobs, which forces our fellow Filipinos to seek for them abroad. Let us invest in ‘working class enterprises’, rather than use our dollar reserves to protect the foreign exchange rates and the interests of big importers,” stressed the independent candidate.

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
people have been passing around this old mearsheimer lecture on the ukraine conflict. anyone watch it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrMiSQAGOS4

he's the same guy who did his best gangster impression for a neolib australian think tank:

https://twitter.com/JayTharappel/status/1314168746269839362

it's probably valuable when these sicko china hawks are willing to discuss US foreign policy honestly and without bullshit liberal rhetoric, but it's still creepy as hell

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Truga posted:

Another thing we can all thank George Bush for.

tl;dr: Bush Administration wanted to offer Ukraine and Georgia Membership Action Plans as an end of term legacy. The French and Germans did not. So they just put out a statement saying "yeah one day" with no plan to do so while royally pissing off the Russians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Mearsheimer is a realist, not really a Hawk. He even said he was way more popular in China than in the US in that video (27m) because they speak the same geopolitical language. I watched that video posted on Chinese sub a few days ago.