Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Hunt for Red September

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1372962983131815942

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why do Spain and France need so much HSR they’re freaking tiny

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

indigi posted:

Maybe because it is generally useful and beneficial for the entire population, except car dealerships.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This graph is wrong, I don't think the US has any high speed rail at all

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Grapplejack posted:

This graph is wrong, I don't think the US has any high speed rail at all

Depends on how you define high speed and rail

The Amtrak does claim that it's acela express is highspeed but it's basing that on relative internal statistics. The acela doesnt have its own dedicated rails and can only hit about 150 mph max for a short while

So america does have high speed rail by its own internal standards but these standards are pathetic by international standards

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Yeah that 735km for the US is the entire Acela line, but only segments of the track line are capable of allowing high speed.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

france and spain are a lot of things, but tiny ain't it lol

france is twice the size of japan, yet they only have marginally more HSR

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

china investing a metric fuckton into infrastructure projects is the greatest reason why theyre gonna have a far better future than us imo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Agrajag posted:

china investing a metric fuckton into infrastructure projects is the greatest reason why theyre gonna have a far better future than us imo

all the aquaducts in the world ain't gonna do poo poo without actual aqua lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Truga posted:

france and spain are a lot of things, but tiny ain't it lol

france is twice the size of japan, yet they only have marginally more HSR

France isn’t even as big as Texas that’s tiny

Japan is also tiny

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yes and they still don't have nearly enough HSR to cover all their population centres well, so what's your point lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

regular rail is fine. you can bike between French cities in like 25 minutes

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

indigi posted:

regular rail is fine. you can bike between French cities in like 25 minutes

Biking between Paris and Lyon at a relaxed 1054 km/h

Have you considered the US joining other countries in train availability rather than the US pulling everyone down to car hell?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
you use the high speed rail in Europe to get from one side of the continent to the other, not to commute lol

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

indigi posted:

the bad guys still win in the end

Ferrinus posted:

point of order - if i recall correctly, the movie strongly implies that there's a lot more where the bugs came from and the humans are doomed in the long run in spite of their closing propaganda push

I def prefer the reading that the humans are borked and getting a single brain bug is meaningless within the overall campaign

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Slightly derail of this topic.

You see Japan has insanely early HSR system since the 70s but they have not been able to export their HSR industry outside of Japan in 5 decades.

The only success story is Taiwan. Taiwan's HSR was originally going use one of the European system but Lee Teng-hui who secretly considered himself a Japanese strong armed the project and forced the railway authority import half of the tech from Japan. That's why Taiwanese HSR is a bastardized hybrid of 2 systems and have never been able to turn a profit. Japan then tried to build HSR in India, that project has been a spectacular failure; Japan then tried to build one for Vietnam. You see Japan likes to encircle China, there is no surprise the Quad was a Japanese idea. The Vietnamese project was too expensive so the Vietnamese asked to downgrade it from 300km to 200km rail. I don't know where that status of that project is, probably will be later to complete than the 200km HSR China is building in Laos.

IMO the story of the Japanese HSR can pretty much show you the Japanese engineer culture. They either make the whole system so complicated its impossible to adopt outside of Japan (HSR, those Docomo quasi smartphone system before the iPhone), or they are going the completely proprietary route and monopolize the industry (SLR/mirrorless systems, game consoles, etc), there is nothing in between. Either way, you can not incorporate non Japanese companies in the systems. It's very interesting when you look at it.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Though Japan's HSR technology is pretty impressive, like the whole automatic detection of incoming earthquakes and rapid breaking/shutting down of services in response. Travelling with the Shinkansen is def a top experience though I want to try China's HSR in the future.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Junkozeyne posted:

Biking between Paris and Lyon at a relaxed 1054 km/h

Have you considered the US joining other countries in train availability rather than the US pulling everyone down to car hell?

who said anything about cars lol. y’all are obsessed

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

taiwan is tiny and the high speed rail there is extremely good & I liked using it. China is big and the highspeed rail is extremely good & likeable as well.

Highspeed rail is good.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

you use the high speed rail in Europe to get from one side of the continent to the other, not to commute lol

I used it to commute before Covid. It's great.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Because US car culture leads to takes that HSR is somehow not needed in countries that are deemed to small lol
Who the gently caress cares if France is similiar in size to Texas or whatever, US states desperately need mass transit as well, not the other way around

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
hell I'd be okay with regular-rear end non-highspeed rail

I live in a city that has over a million people in its metro and about 1.3 mil in its combined statistical area, and the nearest Amtrak station of any kind is 110 miles away and sees exactly two trains per day, one inbound and one outbound.

if I wanted to go to Chicago from here via car it'd take about 12-14 hours counting stops, if I wanted to take a train it'd take 45+ counting the 90-minute drive to the station, stops, and layovers. Or I could fly there in an hour and 45 minutes, for less money than the two-day train trip costs.

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Apr 12, 2021

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

indigi posted:

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

hell I'd be okay with regular-rear end non-highspeed rail

yeah we need coast to coast high speed definitely but we also could use a ton of plain regular rail too. though if we can convince this bullshit government to do infrastructure may as well go all the way

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The east coast rail is so mediocre I have yet to take a train ride to another city. Before we brought a car we just take Megabus to DC/Philly/Boston. I think Megabus departs every hour. The reason US train ticket is nowhere as cheap as long distance bus fare is that the government subsidize highway and gas but doesn't subsidize the railway.

In China you can also buy train ticket inside Wechat and also use QR code ticket.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

america will never have anything good.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

unfortunately it does subsidize the railway lol

but once I took a train from Philly-New York I’ll never take the megabus again what a comparatively garbage experience

THS
Sep 15, 2017

KaptainKrunk posted:

america will never have anything good.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

America has the Wu Tang Clan :colbert:

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

indigi posted:

but once I took a train from Philly-New York I’ll never take the megabus again what a comparatively garbage experience

philly to trenton to new york is a good ride and like $22, takes like 2 hours though which is kind of a joke but definitely pref to megabus

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they should make an express that skips Trenton and EWR

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

lol even america's best public transportation is just absolute dogshit and has only gotten worse since the 1930s in almost every way

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

indigi posted:

Philly to New York are so close that should barely count as an inter-city trip

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, Bos-Wash is also really the only region of the US really packed with legacy infrastructure to that degree. That said, most of it is in pretty rough shape and I doubt 8 billion a year infrastructure spending is going to help very much.

It isn’t really the age of the systems themselves but that they just barely get enough maintenance to keep semi-operational.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Antonymous posted:

taiwan is tiny and the high speed rail there is extremely good & I liked using it. China is big and the highspeed rail is extremely good & likeable as well.

Highspeed rail is good.

I fell asleep on the hsr once coming home late at night and woke up in kaohsiung and had to take the bus back, that sucked

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/mikepompeo/status/1381392669704871942?s=21

What do you even call this? Is something this pathetic even propaganda?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Hedenius posted:

Check the wood engraving, he's at (one of) the Mercer's houses lmao???

nvm, his mother's maiden name is Mercer

Gorman Thomas has issued a correction as of 16:03 on Apr 13, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Hedenius posted:

cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hedenius posted:

wonder if he knows how many mainland Chinese products Cabelas stocks