Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The new Cold War switching from US vs Russia to US vs China moves our timeline closer to the Fallout timeline so I'm okay with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TrilliontonNixon posted:

The new Cold War switching from US vs Russia to US vs China moves our timeline closer to the Fallout timeline so I'm okay with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSojkES0mmU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I often talk to people mystified why Xi's not a firebrand about the trade war and U.S. relations and i point out that China understands that they can outlast multiple presidential admins. And their central planning allows them to shift production in a way that's essentially impossible for the U.S. to do

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Their economy is still largely dependent on exporting things abroad, of course they're going to be for open trade.

Edit: That's really not difficult vvv

Kassad has issued a correction as of 12:57 on May 20, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, a great way to look like the sane one next to the Trump administration.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lambert posted:

Also, a great way to look like the sane one next to the Trump administration.

trump: america is number one, gently caress everyone else hell yeah empire owns

xi: actually everyone is equal, we should all be friends

*stage explodes into roses and everyone starts screaming in amazement*

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

The best propaganda song you'll ever hear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjNpRbNdR7E

Pro click, great song.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
if you are of any Chinese heritage, you are superior to any other poster in this thread, IMO

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Great Autismo! posted:

if you are of any Chinese heritage, you are superior to any other poster in this thread, IMO

I can't argue with this. :shrug:

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

The war that just broke out, for no reason

I love all the takes about the trade war that implies both sides are equally culpable, and not that Trump has been boisterously belligerent every step of the way.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Big fan of those about forceful tech transfer from Western companies that just happen to operate in China for no particular reason.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
idk about anyone else but I'm particularly angered by the recent Huawei development. It's such a naked display of imperialism.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I, too, get whipped into a frothing rage by the trials and tribulations of poor, put-upon transnational megacorporation

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's one of the biggest worker-owned companies in the world lol

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

When you say "owned", you mean in the sense of they own "virtual shares" in a union committee that owns 90% of the company; shares which they're unable to sell, nor exercise any control over management with.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Trammel posted:

When you say "owned", you mean in the sense of they own "virtual shares" in a union committee that owns 90% of the company; shares which they're unable to sell, nor exercise any control over management with.

the committee is elected by the workers. that paper you're obliquely citing loving sucked and chris balding is a joke.

e: oh it's you again. gently caress off

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Known Lecher posted:

I, too, get whipped into a frothing rage by the trials and tribulations of poor, put-upon transnational megacorporation

I already said I find it funny when US or European companies whine about tech transfers after making a shitload of money operating in China for the last 3 decades, yes.

"They were supposed to let us outsource without trying to cut into our bottom line! :qq:"

Kassad has issued a correction as of 13:25 on May 21, 2019

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

Trammel posted:

shares which they're unable to sell

don't you think it would be more worrying if you could sell shares of a worker-owned company that you earned by being a worker in that company

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My understanding of "workers shares" is that they're basically just class B shares that the company buys back when you quit or get fired. It's basically a market-based severance package, since you can't really utilize those shares to vote on c-levels or company actions.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

So I take it they must have some fantastic working conditions

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Grapplejack posted:

My understanding of "workers shares" is that they're basically just class B shares that the company buys back when you quit or get fired. It's basically a market-based severance package, since you can't really utilize those shares to vote on c-levels or company actions.

right, but the governance structure is one where the leadership is elected by workers or union members. that combined with the shares means "worker-owned" or, if you're a pedant, "worker administered" is plenty accurate.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol that someone spent actual time making this

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A worker representative democracy :v:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
This situation just proves that you don't want to be dependent on US corporations, as that makes you entirely dependent on the whims of the US administration. Probably smart to lock out American companies from achieving quasi-monopoly status in your country.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i say swears online posted:

lol that someone spent actual time making this

considering how quickly google kowtowed to the us government id say keeping them out was a wise move

e: woah. mind meld

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

The US is apparently deathly afraid of Huawei having the first 5G on the market, because the Chinese government would use them to spy on us.

Surely the American 5G producers benefiting directly from these actions won't have any obligation to spy for the US government.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
pretty sure that google just proved that it is beholden to US government dictates

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Did US mandate any similar ban on Iran? Can Iranians use google play store inside Iran? Is there any native made Iranian android phone? I just realized I have no idea what phone the Persians use.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

After Trump put them on a blacklist, yeah. You're acting like them following US law is insane.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
US law will adjust according to whatever the current administration's mood is.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The sanctions that have been applied have been done so through the IEEPA and the national emergencies act, both of which greatly expand the power of the executive w/r/t foreign economic affairs. I assume we agree that the executive in the US has too much power and things like this should be sent through Congress but its not Google can ignore Trump.

We can't, anyway. None of us can. We're all trapped here.

E: it's kind of funny tbh since both the NEA and the IEEPA were designed to curb the power of the executive but after a ruling by the courts the legislature needs a joint resolution to cancel an emergency declaration, which can be vetoed by the president so they need a 2/3 majority to actually do so, putting them basically back to square one.

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 18:57 on May 21, 2019

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Grapplejack posted:

After Trump put them on a blacklist, yeah. You're acting like them following US law is insane.

its owned by an international holding company

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Incidentally, looking for jobs in China and I see mostly jobs for western firms like Google, Microsoft, etc. Are there better places than glassdoor for jobs? I'd like to do a live abroad type thing but instead of teaching English, I'd rather use my skills (Machine learning, etc. PhD).

Something beyond thousand talents.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

So I take it they must have some fantastic working conditions

The joke used to be that when you joined Huawei, management would give you a fold-up bed to sleep on, because you'd been spending so much time at the office. Of course, it was completely untrue, you had to buy your own bed.

Actually, Huawei was known for paying top RMB of any company recruiting grads, and if you were lucky enough to be in a successful product team, you could make 3-5, sometimes 10 times your annual salary in your yearly bonus. One guy I knew who was a "devops expert" got a 1 million RMB signing bonus barely 5 years after graduation.

The usual routine I saw was 8-9am breakfast at canteen, work, 12-1, lunch at canteen, sleep, work, 5-6pm, dinner at canteen, work, then home.

It was very popular with young single men, who wanted to get that home deposit saved up as fast as possible. Management were apparently leary of women of child-bearing age being on their team, and they tended to be weeded out during the interview process. Ex-huawei devs I know told me that if you wanted to be eligible for a promotion or a bonus, you had to sign a contract explicitly disavowing any claim on overtime while working at Huawei. The 996 culture has been ingrained there for years.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Kudaros posted:

Incidentally, looking for jobs in China and I see mostly jobs for western firms like Google, Microsoft, etc. Are there better places than glassdoor for jobs? I'd like to do a live abroad type thing but instead of teaching English, I'd rather use my skills (Machine learning, etc. PhD).
Go on LinkedIn and turn on the “Open to recruiters” option, set “China” as your region of interest, watch the jobs come to you

LinkedIn Recruiter costs real money so there is some barrier to entry to reduce the signal/noise ratio

although for CN you’d probably have better results on Asian sites like jobstreet...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1131136433513566210?s=19

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

china has such an information advantage in this form of war :shrug:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Mar 23, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sincx posted:

Economic imperialism usually doesn't work as well as the shooting kind of imperialism.

I'll have you know the American empire is chugging along just swimmingly

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

R. Guyovich posted:

right, but the governance structure is one where the leadership is elected by workers or union members. that combined with the shares means "worker-owned" or, if you're a pedant, "worker administered" is plenty accurate.

Correct, hence why many Huawei workers voluntarily choose stakhanovites work ethic and do not even ask for overtime pay. Since obviously the surplus value from labor they put in is fully appropriated by the workers themselves through their ownership in the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

alas, typo, he flew too close to the sun