Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Mainland protests extract concessions from the government all the time, so it's not like "Beijing" has some sort of principled stance about "never negotiating with terrorists" or whatever. If the protests had settled for their original demands then things could have easily moved on.

Now that mainlander opinion is practically demanding another Tiananmen after that guy was nearly beaten to death, Beijing has more to gain from letting the protests continue on indefinitely, which will wreck Hong Kong's economy and destroy its property values from speculators deciding it's not a great place to park their money. If the Hong Kong police give up, then they'll send in the PLA and keep the conflict boiling until the city destroys itself. The protests have already failed and they don't even know it yet. The kind of independence that they want from the mainland was never realistic economically or politically. The United States isn't going to swoop in and save them with some sort of new Marshal Plan.

I agree. The best thing now is for the protest leaders to turn themselves in and for the remaining protesters to go home. That is simply what is best for them and for Hong Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Deal From Strength Or Get Crushed Every Time

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Sucks that because China is nominally a communist worker's state that any angst toward conditions in HK, and probably goes for Taiwan too, can never have a strong left wing solution advanced.

People are accusing HK protesters of wanting to Soviet Union '91 China, but they should ideally Russian Provisional Government '17 'em. Not Gunna Happen.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Its Coke posted:

this is actually true. the more I see tankies online the more I understand 1984. I wonder if it's related to their Freudian tradition

Holy cow

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

its coke is an antivax unironic marianne williamson supporter

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Defend the purity of the mission!

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hearing word that the HK protesters are throwing crates of tea into the sea. Very cool

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

I'm mainly referring to the idea of doublethink there

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/adityas_1/status/1162663730154393601

:classiclol:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

... what?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

I'm gonna grab this one for the D&D maps thread. This is even better than that old "Russian professor predicts breakup of USA" map.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Mar 23, 2021

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

This is is really amazing.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/mollierodriguez/status/1106020419591651329?s=21

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Romance of ChinaAsia for IBM competible computer by KOEI

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sincx posted:

Aerobiz Supersonic was the best KOEI game.

goddamn I forgot all about that and you're right

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

posting your crusader kings game and passing it off as serious analysis itt

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This would be loving sweet

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Btw if you want to insult Homex why would you feel the need to resort to bizarre speculation about his parentage when he is already literally this meme

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Doesn't China still claim all of Mongolia or is that just the ROC at this point

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jewel Repetition posted:

Btw if you want to insult Homex why would you feel the need to resort to bizarre speculation about his parentage when he is already literally this meme

I thought SA wasn't blocked in China

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought SA wasn't blocked in China

Homex has said he needs a VPN so I'm guessing the SA domain isn't blocked but individual pages might get blocked based on their content

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Lol, the admin has to use a vpn to post on this website. Ok well not to post on this website, just to see some of it. No but sometimes if theres a page with some stuff on it like, uh

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Algund Eenboom posted:

Lol, the admin has to use a vpn to post on this website. Ok well not to post on this website, just to see some of it. No but sometimes if theres a page with some stuff on it like, uh

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not but the Chinese internet blocks certain keywords as well as IP addresses, so on pages that embedded content from blocked IPs they could stop loading, or detection of words in posts could break the connection. And yes that does include English words, like when they blocked "John Oliver"

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

Just the ROC. PRC dropped Mongolia claims way back before the Sino-Soviet Split since it was a fellow communist country and a Soviet puppet.

Grapplejack posted:

The first thing I did when I first got to China a decade ago this month was pull up Wikipedia and type in 1989 Tiananmen Square Massacre. My internet access cut out for about ten minutes. Maybe they have a more artful way of handling things these days, but it was definitely a keyword based thing as much as ten years ago.

Deep State of Mind has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Aug 25, 2019

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jewel Repetition posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not but the Chinese internet blocks certain keywords as well as IP addresses, so on pages that embedded content from blocked IPs they could stop loading, or detection of words in posts could break the connection. And yes that does include English words, like when they blocked "John Oliver"

Last year they temporarily blocked the letter N. Lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Spergin Morlock posted:

Last year they temporarily blocked the letter N. Lol

That's anti-gamer discrimination

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jewel Repetition posted:

Homex has said he needs a VPN so I'm guessing the SA domain isn't blocked but individual pages might get blocked based on their content

The last time I tried reading SA in China everything was hilariously slow but that could also have been the Marriott wifi

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it does seem a little gauche to criticize the need to use a VPN on a website that routinely shills for the benefits of using Nord

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Nord didn't loving work in China, I had to let my wife's friend use my express VPN login. She was dating a Italian guy of all things.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Congrats on the open marriage

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

tino posted:

Nord didn't loving work in China, I had to let my wife's friend use my express VPN login. She was dating a Italian guy of all things.

It's a bit :tinfoil: but I've heard that Express is one of the VPN services that has registered with the Chinese government, which is why they alone never seem to have problems when every other VPN is going down right and left around 6/4 and other sensitive times.

I haven't tried without a VPN in a while but the last time I tried the forums would theoretically work without a VPN, but Cloudflare flags every China-based IP as potential spam/DDOS and makes you do a captcha before you can access the forums. The captcha is/was Google-based, so if you don't have a VPN, welp. It also means the Awful app won't work without a VPN because there's no way to do the captcha.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

sincx posted:

I did not expect China to turn this into a profit opportunity (beyond trying to promote Shenzhen as an alternative to HK).

:capitalism:
State capitalism at its best.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/military/article/3024260/china-set-step-tear-gas-production-demand-crowd-control-weapons

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

China stealing our tear gas cannister jobs!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tear gas wars are very easy to win.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Known Lecher posted:

It's a bit :tinfoil: but I've heard that Express is one of the VPN services that has registered with the Chinese government, which is why they alone never seem to have problems when every other VPN is going down right and left around 6/4 and other sensitive times.

I haven't tried without a VPN in a while but the last time I tried the forums would theoretically work without a VPN, but Cloudflare flags every China-based IP as potential spam/DDOS and makes you do a captcha before you can access the forums. The captcha is/was Google-based, so if you don't have a VPN, welp. It also means the Awful app won't work without a VPN because there's no way to do the captcha.

Nah, Express is spotty as gently caress,even on 6/4 and certain holidays. Last I heard, they were based out of Hong Kong.