Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
ExpressVPN was down for me about 2 weeks out of 2 months last year, but much better than Nord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1165635401643638786

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

This is some of the most concentrated bullshit I've ever seen, and I follow American politics

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jewel Repetition posted:

This is some of the most concentrated bullshit I've ever seen, and I follow American politics

Yeah, I bet you understand Hong Kong nativism as much as you do American politics.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Anti Chinese sentiment cannot be nativism because one country

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why should Hong Kongers have warm feelings towards the country that annexed them ? It's pretty much the case for every dependencies in the world.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
“China expert”

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Carl Zha tells a good story tbh, like that combo of rule by corporate oligarchy, highly monopolized media that has every interest in blaming everything but that for Hong Kong's problems and whose owners often have personal grudges against the mainland's system, and the coincidence that Hong Kong's economic decline began soon after it switched hands so the mainland is an intuitively plausible culprit. The narrative was so good that it was pretty jarring when CIA was introduced out of nowhere. Like he made it clear how the British and similar flags didn't need to be introduced from the outside because they represent the aborted pre-97 democratic reforms introduced as a final political challenge to China by the UK and so on.

uncop has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Aug 25, 2019

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Kurtofan posted:

Why should Hong Kongers have warm feelings towards the country that annexed them ? It's pretty much the case for every dependencies in the world.

I don't have problem with this argument but the Hong Kongers are too chicken to say it out loud. All they do is raise the "democracy" banner. The middle aged HKers are especially guilty of this, never fought for democracy their entire lives and suddenly this protest all about democracy.

Actually the central government doesn't have problem with giving the city universal suffrage as long as Article 23 was passed. What can a democratically elected "Chief Executive" possibly do anyway if the city is entirely surrounded by China figuratively and literally?

Too bad the HKers never learnt any geopolitics in their colonial textbooks and think magical democracy will help the Monkey escape Buddha's hand.

Edit: I only listen to "China Expert" video for a few minutes, his talking points are too Golbal News for me. Boring.

tino has issued a correction as of 17:53 on Aug 25, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Anti Chinese sentiment cannot be nativism because one country

Anti Chinese sentiment with Chinese characteristics....

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jewel Repetition posted:

lol its not like your takes on the Dem primary were any better

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

🥾👅

Absolutely stunned that the “sensible moderate pro-PRC guy” started screaming about CIA infiltrators the moment unrest threatens to shave a percentage point of off 爸爸’s stock portfolio

Fallen Hamprince has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Aug 25, 2019

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol its not like your takes on the Dem primary were any better

I've only had one take on this Dem primary and the last one, and it's that Bernie should win. So yeah it is better than that disingenuous podcast

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

hes fighting for the freedom to pull your pants all the way down at the urinal

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/carlzha/status/1165639342301143040?s=21

The subtext here is that Carl knows there’s a good chance this ends with Beijing getting impatient and having the protesters machine gunned and that he’s gonna need to have justifications lined up if they do.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The text here is Fallen Hamprince is a terrible poster and should've been permabanned. Then he would understand 1984.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
mmm, tianenmen square...

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/chinadaily/status/1160559229452705792?s=21

video proof of the CIA’s deployment of crack airsoft special weapons teams to HK

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The text here is Fallen Hamprince is a terrible poster and should've been permabanned. Then he would understand 1984.

Fallen Hamprince has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Aug 25, 2019

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Mar 23, 2021

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

sincx posted:

Wow Carrie Lam is being paid USD $600,000 a year to do jack poo poo.

that’s not true, boots don’t lick themselves

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

uncop posted:

Carl Zha tells a good story tbh, like that combo of rule by corporate oligarchy, highly monopolized media that has every interest in blaming everything but that for Hong Kong's problems and whose owners often have personal grudges against the mainland's system

Except it's not true and they don't. The corporate oligarchy loves the mainland's system that multiplied their collective net worth several times over by opening up development opportunities in the Chinese market. The only rich person he can point to here is Jimmy Lai (the one whose newspapers published the "locusts" stuff), who is a super rich media baron. He's been hella banned on the mainland because his newspapers do sensationalist anti-CCP reporting and also have big titties in them. The Communist Party despises his Apple Daily so much, they pushed the big banks like HSBC and Standard Chartered, among other big companies that do business in the mainland, to stop advertising in publications he owns. He's still doing okay though since his papers are by far the most popular in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Nobody reads the Ta Kung Pao haha

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Bloodnose posted:

Except it's not true and they don't. The corporate oligarchy loves the mainland's system that multiplied their collective net worth several times over by opening up development opportunities in the Chinese market. The only rich person he can point to here is Jimmy Lai (the one whose newspapers published the "locusts" stuff), who is a super rich media baron. He's been hella banned on the mainland because his newspapers do sensationalist anti-CCP reporting and also have big titties in them. The Communist Party despises his Apple Daily so much, they pushed the big banks like HSBC and Standard Chartered, among other big companies that do business in the mainland, to stop advertising in publications he owns. He's still doing okay though since his papers are by far the most popular in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Nobody reads the Ta Kung Pao haha

But how else can you explain the general strike and hundreds of thousands of protesters on the streets, the signature weapons of the haute bourgeoise?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

some very normal law abiding citizens showing their patriotism last night

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

have big titties in them

HK has their own version of the page 6 girl?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
So score card for Aug 25

* A cop got stab with deep cut in the back
* A real bullet was fired to the sky when cops got rush by the black shirts (start using lethal weapon)
* Metro Authority are closing stops early
* A residential building complex changed door code and tried to restricted the black shirts entering, and the "concerned residents" surrounded the office, police was called
* Protesters dial up on violent in the "2nd half" and cut down 20? lampposts with cameras
* And this is my favorite, some black shirts ramsacked a Majian place and demanded the "Fujianese" come out and fight them.
* oh yeah the WaterMobile made a cameo

Today was almost as violent as 8/11, both sides are escalating.

what else did I miss? Overall I give the edge to the protesters.

tino has issued a correction as of 23:36 on Aug 25, 2019

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

tino posted:

* Protesters dial up on violent in the "2nd half" and cut down 20? lampposts with cameras

Truly nothing is beyond these monsters.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

HK has their own version of the page 6 girl?

Jimmy Lai figured out the secret sauce to sell newspapers was print big articles about how the government is gonna get you, Mainland tourists are obnoxious, and also check out this chick what's too short to be a runway model but she got huge knockers.

Need your 正妹s and 靚女s if you're gonna trash the Party.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Truly nothing is beyond these monsters.

Those Fujianese are no angels.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Jimmy Lai also speaks pretty good English and has appeared on CNN and others for pro-democracy pieces. I remember he did a bunch of interviews back during the Umbrella Movement so I decided to punch up YouTube and see what he's done lately, this is a great first result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W9jxhWNZjY
I appreciate YouTube warning me:

Wow there are a lot of these. The Party really hates Jimmy Lai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwYgXyTf5tk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Twx39qimm0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n8YP3eYMf4

But here he is on Fox last month:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQMgV9UB1kU

Now he falls down on the right binary side of this issue but he is a massive libertarian shithead who makes friends with Fox News so

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Bloodnose posted:

Now he falls down on the right binary side of this issue but he is a massive libertarian shithead who makes friends with Fox News so

Lol

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Bloodnose posted:

he's glenn greenwald?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
He famously had busts of Milton Friedman and Hayek in the lobby of Next Media's offices. I think he took them out after he got arrested for Umbrella Movement sit-ins though. I tried to find pictures but gave up after searching for ten minutes.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

also Jimmy Lai is the dude behind those NMA animations that were big memes like 10 years ago

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Soy Division posted:

also Jimmy Lai is the dude behind those NMA animations that were big memes like 10 years ago

I guess that also explains Pepe

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
as a smug and very sure of my own neutrality Western liberal, let me tell you about China

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

uncop posted:

Carl Zha tells a good story tbh, like that combo of rule by corporate oligarchy, highly monopolized media that has every interest in blaming everything but that for Hong Kong's problems and whose owners often have personal grudges against the mainland's system, and the coincidence that Hong Kong's economic decline began soon after it switched hands so the mainland is an intuitively plausible culprit. The narrative was so good that it was pretty jarring when CIA was introduced out of nowhere. Like he made it clear how the British and similar flags didn't need to be introduced from the outside because they represent the aborted pre-97 democratic reforms introduced as a final political challenge to China by the UK and so on.

I listened to the entire thing, even though I really don't care for Max Blumenthal in recent years

Zha himself said that the CIA presence is blown out of proportion, but that there's definitely an intelligence presence. Given HK's autonomy/that weird photo where Julie Edeah met with the protest leaders why is that exactly so hard to believe? There's something to be said about the Gene Sharp model of color revolutions/regime change popping up yet again, and I can understand why Russia and China are so paranoid about that model being replicated in their satellites

It is cringy how much Zha stans for poor cops on twitter, and he arguably didn't put much if any emphasis on China for not allowing democratic reform in HK, but this does seem to be like Maidan where a protest that started out decent has taken an ugly turn. I didn't see anything wrong with his analysis aside from the fact that he didn't outline HK protestors' specific grievances against China very much outside of xenophobia. Like I genuinely want to know if it goes beyond democratic freedoms, the extradition law (which apparently has been blown out of proportion if Zha is to be believed) and the specter of 2047?

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 08:03 on Aug 26, 2019

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Fallen Hamprince posted:

he's glenn greenwald?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i'm imagining hamprince doing the ba dum tss but hitting himself in the balls instead of the cymbal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yossarian-22 posted:

Like I genuinely want to know if it goes beyond democratic freedoms, the extradition law (which apparently has been blown out of proportion if Zha is to be believed) and the specter of 2047?

The protesters have five very specific, consistently reiterated demands:
1. Complete withdrawal of the extradition bill (it is only "suspended" at the moment)
2. Retract the government's designation of the June 12 protest as a riot (a criminal offense that carries serious jail time)
3. Release and exoneration of all arrested protesters
4. Establish an independent commission into police brutality
5. Resignation of Carrie Lam and implementation of universal suffrage in a new Chief Executive election