Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Xi knows why the idiot politicians are funded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I just want to point out the humor that Xiaomi announced their car after Apple cancelled their car. But they still do the "let me copy Apple to the tee to save on advertisement" thing and calling their car models based/Pro/Max

https://x.com/asiatechwire/status/1773337831752052916?s=20

For all we know, the Xiaomi paid good money for the spy photos of the cancelled iCar.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
not gonna buy a vehicle named MAX
i will buy a bike named SU-27 tho, get on it xiaomi

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Filipino fishermen can't seem to catch a break

Filipino fishermen left in WA marina allege abandonment, lost pay

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

Xi was talking about US/China can't decouple - sweet talking the capitalists off their feet.

like two dogs they cant separate until the capital transfer is complete

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hang on to your butts

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

...ew.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Oh boy more bumper ships and water cannon before the May mini climax.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I wonder if the blockade of the Red Sea will decrease tensions in the SCS now that US sailors realise it sucks when people shoot back at you.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
didn't the filipinos yield after the americans killed a bunch of them trying to pacify the country?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't think this has been posted in this thread yet, 1 bus driver and 5 Chinese engineers killed in Pakistan. RIP

https://twitter.com/CGTNEuropebreak/status/1773371384833433666?t=DlVJGFF0I_evP1TbxvJ5Vg&s=19

Timing wise it might be related to the Russian terrorist attack.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

didn't the filipinos yield after the americans killed a bunch of them trying to pacify the country?

"a bunch" in this case was about a million people, or proportionally as many Irish as died during the potato famine, but yes

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I wonder if the blockade of the Red Sea will decrease tensions in the SCS now that US sailors realise it sucks when people shoot back at you.

the people making those decisions have never set foot on a warship in their lives

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Sure, I suppose I don't really mean sailors, but has the Navy suddenly realised they can't actually stop their ships getting shot at just by dint of being the big bad US.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
don't worry the HIMARS have now been repurposed to target PLAN vessels, wunderwaffen will win the war.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

"a bunch" in this case was about a million people, or proportionally as many Irish as died during the potato famine, but yes

hey, we really don't know how many people died during the british pacification at the end of the sepoy mutiny but yeah. The white man's burden really requires a lot of blood sacrifice.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't think this has been posted in this thread yet, 1 bus driver and 5 Chinese engineers killed in Pakistan. RIP

https://twitter.com/CGTNEuropebreak/status/1773371384833433666?t=DlVJGFF0I_evP1TbxvJ5Vg&s=19

Timing wise it might be related to the Russian terrorist attack.

iirc there have been a few attacks like that against Chinese interests in Pakistan over the last few months. I haven't looked into it to see what their stated reasons were or anything, but I have the oddest feeling that it is related to Belt and Road

e: from december of last year

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Terrorism/Anti-China-Pakistan-separatist-group-dissolves-as-leader-surrenders

quote:

ISLAMABAD -- A Pakistani separatist group known for attacking Chinese interests in the country has dissolved after the surrender of its top leader, but the deadly insurgency shows few signs of ending.

Sarfraz Bangulzai, head of the Baloch Nationalist Army (BNA), turned himself over to authorities in the city of Quetta last week along with the militant group's 70 remaining members, in what is thought to be the first time a top-ranking separatist leader has surrendered to security forces.

In recent years, Pakistan has been battling a rise in militant activity involving myriad groups ranging from the Pakistani Taliban to separatists in breakaway Balochistan province, where Bangulzai's group is based.

"The surrender of Sarfraz Bangulzai is no doubt a major victory for the Pakistani government," Kiyya Baloch, an independent security analyst, told Nikkei Asia.

The Dec. 20 surrender comes less than a year after Pakistan said it had Gulzar Imam, the separatist group's co-leader, in custody.

Imam was considered a major player in a militant movement based in southern Balochistan where separatists fighting to carve out their own homeland have targeted Chinese nationals seen as exploiting the province's resources and its Port of Gwadar.

The port is a cornerstone of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), a $50 billion component of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), Beijing's globe-spanning infrastructure push.

The Baloch Nationalist Army -- formed last year as part of a merger between separatist splinter groups -- was part of the broader Baloch Raji Ajoi Sangar (BRAS) alliance, which has claimed responsibility for most of the attacks on Chinese interests in Balochistan and southern port city Karachi.

Pakistani officials have pledged to beef up security for Chinese nationals in the country after a spate of violence including an August ambush on a convoy of Chinese engineers in Gwadar as well as a 2018 assault at the Chinese embassy in Karachi and, separately, a deadly attack in 2020 at the Pakistan stock exchange.

A Pakistani security official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Bangulzai's Dec. 20 surrender came after his detained co-leader Imam convinced him to lay down arms. The former BNA co-leader was cooperating with Pakistani authorities, he added.

"Imam convinced Bangulzai to surrender as they had realized that they were fighting a futile war and were being used by foreign hands," the official said. Pakistan previously blamed archrival India for funding Baloch separatists.

Others say that Imam's arrest left his former comrade isolated and with few allies in the two biggest separatist groups, the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) and Baloch Liberation Front (BLF).

"The leadership of Baloch Liberation Army and Baloch Liberation Front did not trust Bangulzai and closed their doors on him," said Rasheed Baloch, a political analyst based in Quetta, Balochistan's capital. "Bangulzai assessed the situation and decided that he would be better off making a deal with the government as opposed to continue operating his militant outfit."

The security official predicted that the surrender would encourage more separatists to lay down arms in exchange for amnesty, which was granted to members of the Baloch Nationalist Army.

"The militant groups would also weaken operationally after Bangulzai and Imam share a treasure trove of operational information with the government," he added.

Still, while the high-profile surrender means one group that threatened key economic interests is off the table, it does not mean an end to a two-decade insurgency, analysts said.

"Threats against Chinese interests were not entirely dependent on Sarfraz Bangulzai," said Fakhar Kakakhel, an independent analyst specializing in militancy in Pakistan. "So, the threat to Chinese interests in Balochistan will remain intact."

Indeed, attacks continued following the death of Aslam Baloch. The commander of the Baloch Liberation Army who had openly threatened China was killed in a suicide bombing in Afghanistan in December 2018.

"Even the assassination of Aslam Baloch did not affect Baloch separatist militancy and therefore the surrender of Bangulzai will not mean the end of it," said analyst Baloch. "The Baloch separatist insurgency will continue unless the security-centric approach of the state of Pakistan does not end."

tbqh I haven't looked into it, so I don't know much about it. I would be willing to bet that these groups are being funded by outside groups because why the hell else would you attack Chinese civilians as an attempt to gain independence from Pakistan, but whether that group is the US, India, or someone else I don't know

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Mar 28, 2024

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
yeah it's been going on for awhile now

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you know this problem wouldn't exist if the state wasn't so gung-ho about inequitable development.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The point (of attacking Chinese nationals) is framing the BRI projects as some kind of "neocolonialism" projects and China is "stealing resources from their home land" . You can look at which countries oppose BRI the most and guess whose money is behind them.

BTW, they would love to fund more Xinjiang insurgencies if they could. Not saying it won't happen in the future. China has a very long border.

Also, Tajikistan borders China not Russia, when you think about it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

:dogstare:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
balochistani separatism has been a thing since before the Belt and Road project was ever a thing. The CIA doesn't need to juice it up because the pakistani establishment is more than capable of repressing the people there.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

hang on to your butts

watch Biden start a war with China to distract from his complicity in genocide

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1773151774331060614

Behold, a crane.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

The point (of attacking Chinese nationals) is framing the BRI projects as some kind of "neocolonialism" projects and China is "stealing resources from their home land" . You can look at which countries oppose BRI the most and guess whose money is behind them.

BTW, they would love to fund more Xinjiang insurgencies if they could. Not saying it won't happen in the future. China has a very long border.

Also, Tajikistan borders China not Russia, when you think about it.

Would be pretty hard long term. West has a lot of money, but what it's purchasing power isn't exactly increasing, and if China continues to develop the regions in question it may be hard to find enough people with a chip on their shoulder, especially in the right places.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gildiss posted:

Currently everyone is puzzling over why the Yoon regime went so hard on getting the defense minister out of the country.

The initial issue was the reaction to the investigation of the drowning of a marine private during the floods last summer.

[Editorial] Why is the Yoon administration overreaching to shield the former defense minister from a criminal investigation?

Gildiss posted:

And he has now returned to Korea amid rare bipartisan calls for tougher investigation lol

Besieged ambassador returns amid pressure for probe

And he has now offered his resignation. :lol:

Ambassador to Australia offers to resign amid controversy over his appointment

With the general assembly elections weeks away, April 10. This is a very confusing set of actions.

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 02:38 on Mar 29, 2024

An Jung-geun
Sep 2, 2022

https://twitter.com/MCaruso_Cabrera/status/1773158918086070339

Wow how dare they persecute the rich (again) they will totally collapse once the rich leave

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MCaruso_Cabrera/status/1773158918086070339?t=LdFfMoInk0t84Mgi_W7hBg&s=19

Lol hell yeah Xi ftw

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

oh no, what will I do without my private jets

guess I'll have to take the train everywhere in first class

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
my family's egg monopoly :qq:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/narendramodi/status/1773553627535208836?s=20

Morbus
May 18, 2004

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

China's economy is collapsing (on purpose, because Xi wants to destroy it)

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/china-s-economy-is-in-a-terrible-funk-just-how-xi-jinping-likes-it-20240325-p5feyu.html

man can you imagine living in a country that oppresses property developers and billionaires and proritises manufacturing and technology over real estate

lmao so hard at the scare quotes around "productive forces", "high quality" "advanced manufacturing"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
South Korea's demographics issue is probably worse than it initially appears, while their population is still around double that of the north, they are down to 230,000 births a year and it seems to be dropping. The DPRK is around 350,000 and climbing.

South Korea is going to still be quite a bit larger for the foreseeable future it is just going to have a rapidly greying population while North Korea is moving in the other direction. This is eventually going to seriously affect army recruitment in the south just by virtue of the number of men that is going to be available at any given time.

Overall, the smart thing for North Korea is to just wait.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Okay I'm not watching 45 minutes of these two douches talking over half assed bass vamp.

Did they say anything meaningful?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its modi so no. You would be better off listening to touhou remixes.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

TeenageArchipelago posted:

tbqh I haven't looked into it, so I don't know much about it. I would be willing to bet that these groups are being funded by outside groups because why the hell else would you attack Chinese civilians as an attempt to gain independence from Pakistan, but whether that group is the US, India, or someone else I don't know

Huh, you'd think the leader and those 70 other members would have mentioned that now that they're in detention.

hmhb fan
Feb 4, 2024

Truga posted:

not gonna buy a vehicle named MAX
i will buy a bike named SU-27 tho, get on it xiaomi

BMAX

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It's slow today so I thought I will do a quick recap of the Chinese foreign policy chess moves this year. I think they can be describe as "counter decoupling preventative measures."

First China opened up visa free to the more friendly ASEAN and major EU countries
https://x.com/CarlZha/status/1747646459204587824?s=20

And then China opened up a lot of domestic markets for foreign investment, including medical, finance, data flow out of China etc. I thought this was quite a big news, but none of the China watchers I follow comment on it so I can't gauge how big it is just yet. But it's a door they have open officially and can potentially open it wide. China already removed most of the restrictions on manufacturing FDI last year.

Next up, Xi courted the international capitalists last week. China started doing it last year when they went around the US government and directly talked to local government officials and Bill Gate and Musk in San Francisco last year. They are doubling down this year. I thought since Tim Cook is "lower tier" of moneyman than Bill Gates, Beijing will send Premier Li to meet him. But no, Xi came out and buttered up the CEOs with more "Chi-merica" flattering. I mean these CEOs are not stupid, but they just need an excuse to show their boards that they can continue do business and make money with China.

Getting Apple manufacturing out of China is one of the major project of White House, it's their "flagship" friendshoring narrative, so it make sense for Xi to throw Cook a few more bones and let him open a new store personally. Beijing know Tim Cook's style.
https://x.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1770440959114768394?s=20
Apple products are pretty lackluster right now, but Beijing will finds ways to boost Apple's revenue in China.

This week Xi talked to the Dutch PM, basically to negotiate more ASML machines for the semiconductor industry.
https://x.com/ConsulateChnMan/status/1773505965280690610?s=20
I think China can roll their own lithography machine if they have to, but it takes a few more years and they are trying to buy as much rope from the capitalists when they still can (my interpretation). BTW, Huawei is slowing down the sales of the Mate 60 Pro, so their next flagship P70 supposedly will have a faster chip than the one in the M60P.

All these moves are IMO making decoupling harder, making supply chains stickier and harder to move, continue to signing up more deals with the 3rd party interest groups.

Supposedly Putin will visit China in late may, which is right around time all the Western camp characters will show up and rally around Taiwan's presidential inauguration.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
^^^
Xi also basically told them that ASML is a nice to have, but not a must have at this point. So get with the program or retreat completely from the Chiense market.

also, way more wumaos in the US than I thought, maybe they thought Taiwan is part of China.

https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1773379528678900159?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
ha liberal democratic states wont be able to decouple without forcibly preventing their citizens from going to china