Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think the entire crisis was engineered by Putin.
Nah.

But this is probably the best place to ask. Why isn't Russia doing more to stop the nuclear NK program? ICBMs from North Korea will have to travel over Russian territory and airspace to reach the US - I wouldn't be happy about that if I was the Russian President. Also you are hoping that the US will know the NK missiles are flying over your territory are NK missiles and not a Russian first strike attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I need a Putin Puppetry undergrad course pls

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Budzilla posted:

But this is probably the best place to ask. Why isn't Russia doing more to stop the nuclear NK program?
Russia has no dog in this fight and no leverage. They have nothing to gain and would only be embarrassed when NK ignored them like it ignores everyone else.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe North Korea doesn't actually want to destroy the US and really just doesn't want to be invaded?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Throatwarbler posted:

Maybe North Korea doesn't actually want to destroy the US and really just doesn't want to be invaded?

it's crazy that these "regimes" keep arming themselves with massive amounts of weaponry. why? what could a country like north korea possibly fear from the calm and caring hand of american dominated global capitalism

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

North korea rabidly and unreasonably hates amerika just because we murdered a third of their population, conducted mass rape campaigns and dropped biological weapons designed by the nazis on their cities. Their hatred of amerika is, mayhaps one could say, inscrutable...

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1319831570438590465

you know i dont have the receipts handy but i could of sworn palmer was one of the guys saying that china had not actually solved the virus and that they were lying to us about having saved lives

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

anyway this week on dragon ball xi

https://twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/1320000491737157632

south korea is mad that xi said south korea invaded north korea and not the other way around

which is flattering because from what i can tell what xi actually said was that america invaded korea writ large and hes just ignoring the pretense that anyone at the time actually believed there were two different koreas altogether

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Some Guy TT posted:

which is flattering because from what i can tell what xi actually said was that america invaded korea writ large and hes just ignoring the pretense that anyone at the time actually believed there were two different koreas altogether

That interpretation would be very inconsistent with the way the Korean war is taught in China, so why would you expect him to contradict that?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

can you be more specific i am not familiar with how the korean war is taught in china but i was under the impression that in general they deemphasize the sovereignty of any korean government a reading that is not particularly at odds with xis take of america invading korea just to gently caress with china

which incidentally is exactly what we did and is as far as i know not seriously disputed by anyone regardless of where they stand on the inter war sovereignty issue

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1319831570438590465

you know i dont have the receipts handy but i could of sworn palmer was one of the guys saying that china had not actually solved the virus and that they were lying to us about having saved lives

https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1240652758958604288
https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1240105828285394945
https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1240105814863593472
https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1227812329338867713
https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1230876759421222913

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think this topic belongs here. I have rewatched news/commentaries from 16 and 17 recently. Watching the entire North Korea missile crisis unfold in a short span gave me a different prospective. I think the entire crisis was engineered by Putin. The missiles Kim shot in the 16 and 17 were really accurate and could always test successfully on schedule at specific dates to send important political messages. It's rumored that Russians directly send their own rocket engines to NK via train.

If you look at the shouting Marches between Trump and Kim, you could sense some carelessness. In other words, Trump was in on the game and knew it was a wrestling show. Remember Trump and Putin had a secret 1 hour meeting right after Trump became president?

Now look at it from Putin's angle, why would he do it? Because Trump is his loving guy, he wanted to orchestrate a nuclear missile crisis and have them sign a treaty. Trump will get tons of political capital for reelection.

From Trump's angle, his master plan was play up the crisis with NK, ultimately sign a nuclear treaty in 18 and immidiately launch a trade war with China, play it all the way to reelection. This fits Trump's MO of no hot wars.

From fat Kim's angle, of course he was willing to be the chess piece if it meant he could learn the missile technology from Russian engine. And he would get extra leverage against China. Driving a wedge between NK and China was also a Russian goal.

From China's prospective. The relationship between NK and China was really bad during 16 and 17. I think Kim executed a couple officials who was tasked to talk to the Chinese envoy. Anyway China's play was telling US "look we can't control this mad dog, don't pressure us to the contain him. Sorry we tried. "

I think the twist is the US diplomatic establisent KNEW Trump was in on the game. So what happened was they did their parts to disrupt the peace deal during the 2nd Trump and Kim meet. Trump's lawyer's scandal blew up at that time.

Also the official version of why Trump walked away from the deal was that Bannon and other Trump goons demand NK totally destroy their nuclear capability before they sign a deal. I think this can't be the whole story. Reason 1, S Korea told Kim as long as he went to Vietnam and blow up one of the nuclear facility, he would get a deal. Kim supposedly called Moon a couple times during his train trip to confirm it. Now why would the South Koreans promise that unless they got the message from the Americans? Reason 2, the nuclear deal Obama signed with Iran was a soft deal. It was a "freeze" deal not total destruction of nuclear facilities. So Trump didn't need to get a super strict deal signed to get his Nobel Prize.

However something happened and it made Trump abruptly walked out on Kim. And Kim pivoted hard to China afterward. I will go thru all the 18 19 news first before I comment on the remaining story.

lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

believe scientists

no not chinese scientists

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/every_lesbian/status/1320311135799738369

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Budzilla posted:

Nah.

But this is probably the best place to ask. Why isn't Russia doing more to stop the nuclear NK program? ICBMs from North Korea will have to travel over Russian territory and airspace to reach the US - I wouldn't be happy about that if I was the Russian President. Also you are hoping that the US will know the NK missiles are flying over your territory are NK missiles and not a Russian first strike attempt.

in the 1990's clinton and kim jong-il came to an agreement to shut down the dprk's nuclear program in exchange for a thawing of relations and the promise of two light-water nuclear power plants that would be built and installed with us support.

the nuclear power plants never materialized.

north korea is one of the few nation states left that might actually believe in sovereignty and has a leadership with any kind of historical memory. why would they ever agree to inhibiting their own development when past experience shows that the moment the great power they're dealing with gets what it wants it fucks off and pretends it never owed them anything anyways.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol that all the Biden leaks are being uploaded from Guo Wengui's yacht

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I can only guess he meant to congratulate 50 Cent for coming out as a trump supporter and got a little over excited

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1320634868842127360

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

lmfao

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Doubtful Lockheed Martin and Raytheon have any substantial revenue from China. So the question is this just talk or is Boeing going to get hit it wasn't going to already? Can't imagine many plane sales over domestic models or Airbus.

Vietnam PM urges Trump to take objective view in trade dispute

The US opened an investigation into whether Vietnam has been undervaluing its dong currency last month.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

do those characters mean “baldy” or something?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Chomskyan posted:

He tried writing 五毛 (wumao, the 50 cent party) but hosed it up.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Kassad posted:

He tried writing 五毛 (wumao, the 50 cent party) but hosed it up.

lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ContentionNews/status/1320760292280815616

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

sincx posted:

it's specifically Boeing Defense, not Boeing Commercial Aircraft

although 5-10 years from now when the C919 and CJ-1000 are ready, that may change :stoked:
So China is leveling sanctions against the part of the company that doesn't do business with China?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

sincx posted:

it's specifically Boeing Defense, not Boeing Commercial Aircraft

although 5-10 years from now when the C919 and CJ-1000 are ready, that may change :stoked:

I think China got stuck with a lot of facilities and employees that does final fits and finish of China ordered 737-Crash Edition. I doubt Boeing is afraid of China cutting business tie with them. China probably will need to renegotiate the contract for safer 7X7 first.

I am not sure C919 can be use as a leverage against Boeing even if its a good plane, since the engines are made by GE.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 18:50 on Oct 26, 2020

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Chomskyan posted:

毛 (Mao) means fur/bodyhair/ and also 10 cents. Mao Zedong's last name is 'Fur'

五 (Wu) means 5

無/无 (Wu) means without

Technically 無毛 means 'hairless' like a hairless cat, not bald, so no one is really showing good Chinese skills here

Obviously 五毛 is reference to 50 cent, the rapper

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Antonymous posted:

毛 (Mao) means fur/bodyhair/ and also 10 cents. Mao Zedong's last name is 'Fur'

五 (Wu) means 5

無/无 (Wu) means without

Technically 無毛 means 'hairless' like a hairless cat, not bald, so no one is really showing good Chinese skills here

Obviously 五毛 is reference to 50 cent, the rapper

Thanks for the explanation. I recognized 毛 as fur, because it's identical to the character in Japanese, but not 无 as 無

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Antonymous posted:

This isn't correct to be fair, 无毛 is a fairly common jokey way of referring to male pattern baldness, probably because it's supposed to be used to describe animal fur as you point out. 无毛 is a totally fine nickname for a bald person so that person's Chinese isn't in question.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1320735256220176392?s=20
https://twitter.com/catcontentonly/status/1320877059187613696?s=20

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
apropos:

quote:

Even by the volatile standards of journalism in the twenty-first century, Newsweek’s recent problems are extraordinary. There are the usual issues: a sharp decline in print subscribers, Google and Facebook, the difficulty of running a mass-market general interest news magazine in an age of hyperpartisanship. But Newsweek has also been raided by the Manhattan district attorney’s office (a former owner and chief executive pleaded guilty to fraud and money laundering charges in February) and has been accused of deep ties to a shadowy Christian cult, amid many other scandals.

These controversies hollowed out Newsweek’s staff and its brand. Its clickbait-heavy approach, aimed at gaming search engines, has declined since it was spun off from parent company IBT Media in 2018. But it remains a publication that privileges the interests of Google over those of its hypothetical readers. While other publications are abandoning the “scale” model pioneered by BuzzFeed and others in favor of building a loyal audience and raking in subscriptions, Newsweek is something of a throwback. It has attempted to rebuild some of its credibility post-IBT by partnering with the Poynter Institute, but it still has a distinctly seamy vibe. Earlier this month, the magazine’s cover story was a glowing profile of Jared Kushner of all people, which dropped right before a raft of more critical coverage, including the revelation that the president’s son-in-law had secretly met with potential spoiler candidate Kanye West.

Meanwhile, the opinion section is brimming with right-wing columnists, who range from the barely credible to the foaming at the mouth. Farage and Gingrich are regulars, as is Alan Dershowitz. Acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf took to Newsweek to attack the American Civil Liberties Union for standing up for peaceful protesters. Hammer, the op-ed editor, has a resume that is littered with stints in right-wing politics and advocacy organizations: He has worked for Ted Cruz, the Federalist Society, and the Claremont Institute as well as Ben Shapiro’s Daily Wire. (Shapiro, last seen humiliating himself and his wife on Twitter, regularly contributed op-eds to Newsweek until February of last year.)

https://newrepublic.com/article/158968/newsweek-rise-zombie-magazine

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Rabelais D posted:

This isn't correct to be fair, 无毛 is a fairly common jokey way of referring to male pattern baldness, probably because it's supposed to be used to describe animal fur as you point out. 无毛 is a totally fine nickname for a bald person so that person's Chinese isn't in question.

ah I never heard that, thanks

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/JimmyLaiApple/status/1320936003780202497

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

"our opinion"?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

mccarthyism is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

quote:

I just want to quote this hilarious happy Xi.