Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

GreyjoyBastard posted:

oh so you just generally want to balkanize successful leftist states like China and the United Kingdom and render them easy pickings for international capital

lmao the UK, why is it in that sentence?

Also not surprising to see the brits at it itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

stephenthinkpad posted:

Why should the US continue push east ward in Eastern Europe, and cut into Russia's ever shrinking pie though? This position is so stupid in 2020.

Russia has only 150 mil population, that's same class of population as Japan, Brazil, Bangeldesh. Russia is heavily rely on the military industry for export, which is going down hill. Russia is no longer a global player, but a regional hegemon, Obama said it a few times. The US should have change track and lean toward Russia against China at least 10 years ago.

There was US think tank who argued the W admin should't expand NATO east ward beyond Poland to begin with. I wasn't paying attention to this stuff a few years ago so I don't remember his name. Could have been Mearsheimer. Anyway I agree with this opinion, US shouldn't make an long term enemy out of Russia post cold-war. Putin essentially is not very ideological and anti-US. Although you can still make an argument that the NATO expansion has some benefits, such as encourage Eastern bloc states joining EU and slow down the EU unification process; also plant bad blood between Russia and Georgia/Ukraine.

In the US/Russia/China triangulur power relationship, you obviously want to dissuade the other 2 players form an alliance. And you want to ally with the weaker of the 2 against the stronger one. You can't find any think tank in the US talk about about this. UK traditionally is much smarter at playing this geopolitic game.

Russia isn't just russia, its the former USSR, and its got the missiles to prove it.

Most of the geopolitical stuff the US has been involved in since the wall came down has either been resource looting, or destabilizing regions that are not yet available to be looted. They "won" the cold war and they have what to show for it? Shock doctrine Russia and multiple failed* military projects to maintain the petrodollar? American adventurism was in the process of more or less winding down under Obama, they were securing what they already had. Trump let a lot of that global power poo poo slide cos he'd rather try and murder people at home. Where does that leave the biden admin? Well, I wouldn't put it past them to try a new military adventure, this would be unlikely to get broad support at home. I'd imagine it'll be sabre rattling at worst for the next couple of years. America is broken and its falling to the democrats to do triage but I don't think they realise that yet.

*Not completely, they've kept the oil supply controlled, they have served to maintain combat readiness in the armed forces and moved a lot of public money into the right pockets. They also keep Israel and the gulf states happy.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

stephenthinkpad posted:

I have followed the Russia discussion in the last few pages. My 2 cents, I don't think Russia's political and economic policies will change that much post Putin, regardless how high can Navalny climb in his career.

I happen to think Navalny is a charismatic guy who looks like Jade Law if you squint your eyes hard enough. If he make out of the prison in one piece, I see bright future in front of him.

However, that doesn't mean Russia will go the way of Yeltsin 2.0 under a different Russian strongman. The Yeltsin era was a very different time, literally during the prime of US. Americans could paddle any economic ideology they wanted. Americans sold a lot of Chicago school shitsandwich in Latin America too. IMO the geographic location and size of Russia have already decided most of Russia's geopolitical direction. Plus the two main exports, oil and weapon, will make the remaining foreign policy decisions for Russia.

The fundamental problem with this is that you are assuming rational action on behalf of the actors involved.

If the russian authorities can shut navalny up over the next year the dems will forget about him while his sits in a jail cell. He's a patsy and everyone knows it. There will be a new attempted coup/military intervention by america sometime in the next 2 years at the latest and thats where the news cycle will go. Ofc this depends upon the next year with coronavirus and whether or not a truly worse again variant starts ripping through the civilian population. Navalny gets out when bidens out of office and he will be a shell of a man. I would be massively surprised if he somehow avoids coronavirus in a russian prison.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

stephenthinkpad posted:

Are you guys talking about coup in the US or Russia or somewhere else?

A coup anywhere involving US regime change ghouls - it could be anywhere.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Typo posted:

lol if you think what USA Democrats think of navalny matters

Manufacturing consent (for? Who knows? Sanctions? ideally shock doctrine part 2) via the poor sweet crucified nazi is worth paying attention to.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

very neoliberal vibes

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

it has been interesting watching significant brain rot set in on noah over the years, he became more popular and got worse. Don't trust anyone whose into W.B Yeats imo.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'd love to see Dolan on JRE - sitting shiftily, sweating his eyes gleaming as they talk about drugs.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Can an F-35 run Doom?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

choo choo fuckers gonna take a train from china to iran someday.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

whataboutism is truly the great enemy of our times.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

indigi posted:

why do Spain and France need so much HSR they’re freaking tiny

lol

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Rose gonna be talking about blood and soil in no time. I think Andrade may have knocked a few screws loose.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

It should be competitive but I think Zhang will win. Rose is very good, if clearly addled.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Joe Biden is the only american president catholic enough to pull out of Afghanistan.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Hes talked about here due to his frequent appearances on radio war nerd imo. Other wise hes just a minor hate figure for western china watchers.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Jacobin started off with potential, but uh, I guess its an op? But I don't know who by/for.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

stephenthinkpad posted:

edit: taking a quick look at the Pfizer country list, I think almost all of them have US military bases. Also HK is getting some Pfizer but it's through a greater Chinese market licensing deal and the vaccine is not branded as "Pfizer".

gradenko_2000 posted:

This doesn't really make much sense when you consider that the US hasn't been exporting Pfizer doses to ANYONE, but propaganda is strong, and this particular incident is chalked up as the ONE SINGULAR REASON to as to why our vaccina procurement is so bad. This is not to say that our Health secretary probably did gently caress up the paperwork, but it's very difficult to believe that we'd have millions of Pfizer doses by now even if he did everything right.

Huh, its outside the scope of the thread but interesting to me as I'm a local, but Ireland is not on that list. Pfizer (appears to be) extraordinarily hard to get, but Ireland has 150K doses coming in from the US every week as of last month. Its pretty suspicious. Pfizer have a big manufacturing plant here (they don't seem willing to manufacture it outside the US) and they are also being allowed to privately innoculate employees and their families. (Private inoculation was stated as not happening and everyone would receive their shots from the govt, on a list of least to most vulnerable.) I guess its just a sop to Ireland from US big business and the Biden white house - Since you know the brits didn't send the AZ they promised (Surprise surprise.)

Edit: I wonder how much more money laundering we will be doing for them.

Southpaugh has issued a correction as of 18:35 on May 4, 2021

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

save us chairman xi

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Basically all naval groups are longing to be sank by cheap anti ship missiles. And when it happens the MIC boys will all be agog muh muh doctrine

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

America doesn't want the status quo on the korean peninsula to change. Unified korea is another germany to deal with and NK is a convenient target for sabre rattling and hard looks when you want to change a narrative.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Well no it wouldn't be the same, because China, unlike the USSR would probably still exist in the world where Korea unifies.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

uh huh tell us more mr spook

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Its an effort to make Belarus even more of a pariah to the west.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

yes we all remember that incident

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Chairman Xi saving us gamers from crypto scalper scum.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Bro Dad posted:

she's right

but I don't know anyone willing to eat dutch food

The only thing I'll eat in the netherlands is rear end.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Lol the other forums china threads are stomach churning.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

AnimeIsTrash posted:

How did the word tankie get so popular suddenly? Youtube/twitch debate people?

Maybe it is because I wasn't as online a couple of years ago but it seems like everyone uses that term now.

I think it was a word of the day on some calendar all the grifters must get from a corporate sponsor.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Flunky posted:

they should have done Giant Salamander Diplomacy instead of sending out their volcel bear

Volcel Bear was my other potential username

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

gradenko_2000 posted:

uh, Ai Weiwei?

whats that guys deal ?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

nah I think anyone would eat up a big glossy game doing local mythology. It's not like you're gonna get burned out on the subject matter when you have a million ways to present it in games.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Uniqlo are japanese right? They were going to open one here before the pandemic but it seems to have fallen through.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I keep remembering how funny the trump days were, but its better that hes gone.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

mila kunis posted:

chinese bourgeoisie getting increasingly pissed, as the mournful messages from my loaded fuerdai friend can attest to. i wonder if there's a way for them to team up with international capital to take a crack at the CPC, or do a capital strike as happened with the keynesians. maybe the commanding heights being under state control renders them resilient to it

you cant take your money out of the country due to capital controls. you cant invest in speculatory bubbles or societally harmful but lucrative poo poo like for profit education because big gubmint is going to come gently caress you up. if you're chinese capital and want quick and large returns, what do you do?

The answer is "Continue to eat poo poo".

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Brits out now and forever.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Lads Southern England (the source of all the worlds woes) isn't boggy. Scotland, Northern England, Wales and Ireland have bogs.

All this bog bashing is killing me here.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

shrike82 posted:

jerking off about the chinese invading taiwan and blowing up an american carrier fleet is some weird mirror tom clancy poo poo

gently caress off

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I can see the logic of it. It just leaves a big modern China shaped hole in the reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

huhwhataboutisms