Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I got a buddy who moved back to China and told me on wechat he's friends with a guy who became a doctor in Wuhan.... yeah telephone game but

Anyway he says the doctor friend says the numbers of infected in Wuhan were more like 400,000 before they opened up again

welp that's my news goodbye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

True, the caveat is there's no way to verify and it's just gossip. But wechat gossip is how people get their news since official media won't do a deep dive into anything negative and there's no way to verify official narrative anyway, besides weibo posts and wechat groups...

I mean they just banned Animal Crossing because Hong Kongers and Taiwanese were making islands with political slogans and using the chat app to harass mainlanders I guess?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

This thread's "overly dramatic" personality is characterized in treating the 1 out of every 6 people on earth who happen to live in China as plain, normal people.

And the other thread treats them as abnormal, last I read it.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

BrainDance posted:

Yeah I don't think that's it. This thread's perspective on Chinese people is more of a caricature.

Like remember those Hong Kong guys waving around the US flag and asking Trump to save them? It's kind of like that. The way they see Americans may be representative of like a third, but the rest are real grossed out.

hmmm no I don't think so champ

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

BrainDance posted:

it's a lovely caricature by a bunch of white dudes who think they know what Chinese people want, believe or think when maybe 9 out of 10 of them have no clue.

我不但懷疑你會說中文,而且猜你的中國經驗才是當英語老師浪費一兩年。你覺得這個經驗讓你中國人的保護者嗎?如果你聽不懂中國人說什麼你怎麼知道他們的想法?你說我自己不知道中國人。當然我不知道。中國很大,人很多,沒有人知道中國人一共要什麼,不要什麼。我就是一個有同情心的人,可能比你同情一點。

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

謝謝老師

Those were all dumb mistakes, oops. your version is much more readable. I can easily tell my brain is hosed by english grammar seeing what I hosed up.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Apr 20, 2020

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

learn some dumb old stuff that no modern person think about or has any relevance, cool

also there's tons of chinese students in art and politics and whatever, I never felt international students were all stuck in STEM

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

go to taiwan

"you see that guy riding a bike. It's Giant brand. have you heard of giant bikes?"

yeah

"those are from Taiwan!"

when are we getting gogoro in LA gently caress bird gently caress giant I want gogoro

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

last time I was in Taiwan they had a gogoro free demo near 101 and I've never ridden once since and I want it so bad

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

whats so great about it. does it suck your dick

it's got a 'rumble seat' too with its own auxiliary battery

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

take it to the balk thread

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Taiwan's central mountains being flatter than just about anywhere in China also is fun

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Rabelais D posted:

Massively wrong statement here

It is way more similar to mandarin and largely mutually intelligible while like minnan or cantonese or wu are like, uh, not intelligible.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Didn't know how important of a second tier city Wuhan was until you look at the map (yeah I knew the population number of Wuhan but that was just a number).

Someone said Wuhan is like Chicago and I kinda agree, not that I spent much time in Chicago or Wuhan. You have the Beijing/Shanghai rivalry which is like New York / LA... Shenzhen is silicon valley... something like that. I had an ex who was taiwanese and when we went to America she was a little shocked by it and said "This is America? America is just Western China" and I thought that's funny.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Most of China is more like hills. The mountain parts of China are similarly depopulated. People don't really live in the mountains

Yeah I guess that's true. Usually when I'm in Taiwan I like to try to go to the central mountains and I never felt it was so depopulated but I guess that's cause I was a tourist going to places with people.

Bro Dad posted:

deng xiaoping is from sichuan, its party cadres are pretty powerful and it has a very high standard of living (esp compared to all the provinces around it) by chinese standards

He's from Chongqing and is the reason why Chongqing is a major city, special economic zone and not part of Sichuan anymore. And some sichuan people are a little butthurt about it.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/HongKongFP/status/1259380672197615621

so not only are they homophobic, they also want people to die of coronavirus?

So they're Chuds

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

Hong Kongers speak decentish english on new clips but you got a feeling their understanding of English language and the world are distorted.

You think Americans have a distortion free view of the world? Every country has dumbasses and every english speaker is free to read Murdoch owned media

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

How easily would you accidentally write hate speech in your second language on a sign lmao

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tbh China also did an excellent job

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

eh, no?

Comparatively the US didn't bomb Taiwan that much

I was shocked to find out that 龍山寺 had to be completely rebuilt after 1945 when Americans bombed it for hiding munitions, iirc. Also interesting to go to 金瓜石 and see photos of british POWs enslaved in the goldmine in an otherwise very kid friendly tourist attraction

While I think the allies killed barely less than 10,000 in Taiwan, I still think that counts as bombing the poo poo out of them

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tbh china's leadership has internal pressure and public pressure to take a hard line on the Taiwan issue, despite it making the realization of the idea of 'one china' move much further away

I'd wager that negotiating a de jure independence deal that lets Chinese businesses into Taiwan would be the fastest way to de facto reintegrate it into mainland

every day it gets harder to imagine an independent Taiwan but also harder to imagine Chinese having any ability to rule... the younger generation in Taiwan would never consider itself Chinese, only decades of soft power or decades of martial law can overcome that

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Forceholy posted:

Haha, the international travel restrictions are gonna be in place until October at least.

RIP Chinese students stuck in the developing country known as the US.

Where can I see info on this? I had plans to go to China in August

edit: or you mean America's restrictions

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 21:51 on May 21, 2020

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sincx posted:

lmao

the glasses-on version says "meeting for parents of kids studying in Europe and America and for owners of property in Australia, the US, and Canada"

did spiderman have a they live moment in some marvel movie

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

KaptainKrunk posted:

someone give me a tl;dr of the various factions in HK, who supports them financially, class intersections, etc. cuz I can't wrap my head around this poo poo but have a general idea of who is in the right

what I understand,

HK enjoyed a special status for international finance, business and trade and a level of development that surpassed China's and that has and will largely go away as it integrates into the now developed parts of mainland and becomes 'just another city'. A lot of the anxiety is rooted in this economic and privileged identity status changing. There's also resistance to moving the center of leadership, corruption and all, from within the city to a city 2000km away, loss of autonomy and loss of some freedoms. Another anxiety is that the city is insanely expensive and competitive to live in and now residents have to compete with another billion people who might have the means to move there.

These changing statuses affect the middle class the strongest, as they're the ones getting squeezed hard from the deal they previously would have gotten. obviously a middle class squeezed between two systems of capital and state control is unlikely to produce a lefty revolutionary moment so you get a strong current of pepe frogs and appeals to trump going through both the moderate and radical protesters.

Decolonization in HK, which had a population of 7,000 before it became a colony and spent the last 100 or so years growing its population as a refuge for mainlanders combined with its privileged economic situation, was always going to be painful.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

This person has never cracked a history book in their entire lives

the funny thing is right in the heart of shanghai's french concession is the monument to where the communist movement, a western ideology, began in China

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

This story sound fake (because its so stereotype but I will give NYT benefit of doubt), but if the guy has 2 apartments, he is already in the top 10-20% and can look down on the rest of the HKers, especially the 60% who can't even afford one apartment and probably never will.

The joke about TVB shows is that if you watch HK drama, the characters always live in huuuuge apartments, that are probably 4x, 6x bigger than the actual HKer apartments.

it really is at least partially the upper middle class / lower upper class thinking they had it hot and getting cucked by the people they looked down their nose at

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

lol mask slipped real far there

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

so twitter banned these guys for being too pro-China I guess
https://twitter.com/ajitxsingh/status/1268952891936497666?s=20

yeah but wechat censors passwords~

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

the fact that most expat chinese people like the chinese government is such a brain breaking idea for the typical propogandized citizen of a capitalist country that simply acknowledging their existence at all qualifies as prc agitprop

america is trained on a racial "us vs them" mentality that actual keeps many brains from breaking, maybe in other capitalist countries tho

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Kassad posted:

I'm the People's Republic of China label on Taiwan.

that kind of gives the joke away yeah

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

i say swears online posted:

this boiling water trick is really interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKC9Id6qIWI

idk what it is but everytime I notice an awful sound mix its chinese or taiwanese stuff.

is it cultural to mix the music above the vocals and/or compress the hell out of vocals, I see this even in TV and especially TVCs

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Forceholy posted:

The China subreddits is full of CHUDs who are frothing at the mouth for a war against China and expats who have a Chinese spouse, have mixed kids, and cannot stand a single moment of their existence.

sounds like the china threads on somethingawful tbh

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm american and I see it that way too

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

this dude's pinned tweet is a little telling

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sum posted:

Hasn't Modi been pretty conciliatory from the start? Maybe I've been reading too much Indian media but my impression was that China is the one that's making this an issue in the first place.

Chinese media was downplaying it, chinese soldiers are killed in combat and it's not even mentioned in the the people's daily, page 16 in the english Chinese Times, something like that. Obviously in general china tries to avoid any intense passion incited by the news.

China moved a lot of weapons to the border but I didn't get the impression it was to escalate the situation

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Even if it's tens of thousands interned and 0 deaths those camps are an atrocious policy similar to the treatment of Japanese in WWII or Native American boarding schools

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

one of the weirder parts of ughyer chat is that while everyone knows china is destroying traditional ughyer culture no one actually knows what traditional ughyer culture is and whenever they try to explain they make racist assumptions premised on the idea that theyre basically just stereotypical middle east muslims

to be fair the justification China uses to stomp out a lot of it is that traditional Uighur culture is being destroyed by arab culture imported via islam and the internet

like growing beards and being named mohammed weren't common before 1990s or something I guess (I really have no idea)

it's also an insanely lovely justification

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I think it's entirely easy to imagine a lesser policy that still protects people from terrorist attacks and respects China's national sovereignty. It's not like eastern China needs Xinjiang to fill posts, it's more of a double hit of modernization bringing a lot of cultural changes including new ideas and customs, and also new industry bringing a lot of people from other parts of the country looking for work. In any country that's going to coincide with social tension, but in the backdrop of China's less liberal social frame work you get insufficient outlet for the negative energies of all this change, and so terrorist attacks and so on. As an outsider it seems like Han-Chauvinism allows the police state here to go into overdrive when there are probably better ways to deal with tensions that would have been used if it was happening elsewhere in the country.

It's easy in the US to point to our prison system as being pretty bad at stopping recidivism and deterring crime, likewise it seems like these policies and especially the internment camps are reactive and oppressive and not really solutions. Sadly if they are solutions it is absolutely a solution by cultural genocide, even if that culture is new and evolving rather than centuries ancient (which again I don't understand very well).

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Thanks for that post. Just to ad some thoughts, not really debating at all.

Contemporary china loves traditional dress and dance, it's everywhere. Minority culture is essentialized as dress and dance. You can imagine white kids along side native ones in new mexico dressing up as hopi warriors and doing the snake dance, in the same way there's band recitals and school plays. I do think China has a good legacy of considering and protecting minority rights that guide policy now but the dress and dance thing always seems a little lacking.

Interestingly as more rights are granted elsewhere there's some de-facto loss of affirmative action, like the withdrawal of the one child policy or the fact that if you want to go to a top school in Beijing the bonus gaokao points do not make up for the benefits of having beijing hukou for example.

I'm not sure if the situation in xinjiang, which I've never seen in person, is a preview of what might be coming elsewhere or if it's only possible there because a minority group far away and out of sight lets it be possible, but it's clearly something that should be condemned and stopped. Chinese law does guarantee minorities be allowed to develop their religion, customs, etc and doubly so in their own autonomous land so although obviously the party supersedes anything I guess you have to wonder where such a lovely response to domestic terror threats is coming from.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

those are all really dumb takes guys

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Are you going to elaborate or is that it?

I saw you didn't like this snarky posting here or the other thread, sorry.

Tiananmen isn't just a protest, it's an event where a government murdered people live on TV as the result of a hidden political struggle in the government and set the direction of the country for decades. It is a historical event worth remembering alongside other large protests and historical events, there's no reason we have to only choose certain events to remember. Yes it serves western narratives to constantly discuss it but I don't think it's better obliterating it from history.

The pledge of allegiance is weird, I don't know why an 8 year old needs to promise daily in a weirdly elaborate chant not to take up arms against their government, but I also don't know why that excuses or recontextualizes internment camps on the other side of the planet. Neither this nor tiananmen square are super nuanced opinions.

I think that the best way to discuss China is not all or nothing and not east vs west but instead more like you would discuss most other advanced countries where certain policies or leadership can be criticized without it being a race to the bottom with a rival or asking for total overthrow of the state. It's brainwashing that you're either 100% for the CCP's every decision and America should shut the gently caress up or 100% for regime change and imperialism. China is not balancing on a knife's edge and has every capability to change internal dynamics without inviting collapse or emboldening rightwingers on western websites. The opinions discussed on a comedy website are not binding, there's no reason to take such a postured stance here. I understand that the incredible ignorance and prejudice toward china by westerners is excruciatingly annoying but it doesn't make me hyperbolic when I talk about it and I think that helps get through to people better. I think thoughtful discussion makes most people aware of their ignorance and breaks down the us vs them mentality, like I'm sure people who read this thread would attest to.

edit: I also think my original post was clear enough and completely typical of these forums

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 10:48 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

My experience is that Chinese people hearing about Tiananmen do feel something about it, privately at least, and people in Beijing do remember it. I'm sure older generations in Chengdu and in other cities where protests were violently cracked down on remember. I had a buddy tell me his dad told him that he stayed home during the protests and regrets it now and feels like he was cowardly when he was a college student, it still haunts his dad. Maybe the crackdown being an living secret has kept the memory alive in those who experienced it and within some of those families. I have another friend who thinks her dad was there but he won't talk about it. China has a lot of history since then which makes it easier to forget and move on, it's obviously more of a western touchstone which lets it work as propaganda.

I don't see the same for americans with protests or school shootings or whatever. I don't see a relation with the blaisé american treatment of atrocity. Maybe having a focus on how you'd like the upvotes to fall on reddit's front page or what tucker carlson has programmed on his show tonight is the wrong way to get worked up about stuff like this. If pointing out Tiananmen to these people helps to highlight american struggle that's great, but don't let that rhetorical point get twisted into how you view Tiananmen or w/e because then your entire worldview is based on western social struggles and you've lost nuance.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 11:41 on Jun 22, 2020