Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Domai is basically Yang except he actually gets money, which is even more busted than the extra -10% build cost he already has over Yang.

Nothing beats the pure and undiluted bullshit that is the Consciousness, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

consciousness was basically if you combined Gaians and the University and then took out most of their weaknesses

Yeah, it was bad enough taking away the University's big weakness, but then they had to go full bullshit and ensure that they'd be rolling in cash to really get that tech lead going. Let the fuckers get to where they can run Democratic/Free Market/Knowledge and there's literally no stopping it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tiny Bug Child posted:

idk about that. the aliens were broken but they were kind of meant to be. free drones are actually pretty mediocre, they just trade some research for industry. planet cult is terrible. the hackers are useless. pirates are def broken though cause they get to start in the ocean and settle everything before anyone else. and the cyborgs would be broken except they can't pop boom

Cyborgs can time their popbooms with Golden Ages are also going to get the Cloning Vats long before anybody else even gets close, so I don't see how that's an objection.

Also industry is literally the strongest bonus. Free Drones running Democratic/Planned/Wealth get 40% lower mineral costs as well as actual money. It's broken af.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Top City Homo posted:

communism/anarcho-syndicalism is objectively better so no its not broken af

:yeah:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I mean, it's not like SMAC is a super hard game even without abusing the gently caress out of crawlers. You just need a basic undestanding of how to play to your faction's strengths.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

well that and genocide miriam asap

Well, yeah, but that's mostly because she's super annoying.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

What are Miriam's strengths, if you're playing her faction?

ELITE CHRISTIAN HACKERS

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Seriously, Miriam gets disgustingly good probes which basically nullifies her only weakness. Doesn't even matter that your labs are hot garbage, just find Zak and probe his pasty nerd rear end for all the tech you could ever want.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

i'm pressing the nerve staple button quite furiously right now

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it’s weird that the punishment sphere isn’t an atrocity if you think about it

Probably because it's the UN Charter that defines what's an atrocity, and the Punishment Spheres hadn't been invented yet when said charter was written, and so they're not included. I guess this is also why directing swarms of psychic horror worms that eat peoples' brains against civilian settlements isn't an atrocity.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but the description says that part of it involves strapping on a nerve stapler

maybe the frosted showerdoor glass keeps it from being an atrocity

Might be that what makes nerve stapling an atrocity when you use it to stop drone riots is that you're applying it en masse.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

i also heard that if you transform land to have high enough attitude it literally changes rainfall patterns around the map

confirm/deny

This is true.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think they assume that the prevailing winds always move from the west to the east (or the other way around), so the windward side of a ridge recieves more rainfall than the leeward one. You can use this to conduct economic warfare against your opponents by raising ridges to mess with their farms, though it's not exactly a super efficient method.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Morgan ironically has the least reason to run Free Market out of anyone since he can get to +2 Econ just by running Wealth.

E: Also it's hilarious to run Morgan as Fundie/Green/Wealth and just buy entire invading armies with your probe teams.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yossarian-22 posted:

I'm a strategy game noob who plays waifu sims like fire emblem. What should I play as an intro to the genre?

If you like waifu sims, Crusader Kings 2 should be right up your alley.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's a known fact that the most copies of Paradox games are sold in the Balkans.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just bought a couple more EU4 DLC expansions despite never having spent more than an hour with that game. What the hell is wrong with me.

(what's the easiest way to ease into EU4? I didn't even know there was a Cradle of Civilization expansion until just now)

Playing as France is usually considered the easy mode of the game, but if you're brand new I'd recommend Muscovy instead on account of being a bit more isolated from most big players.

E: England is good as well as long as you remember to always have the biggest navy in Europe.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As of the last patch the Ottomans have unfortunately fallen down to the horribly overpowered tier from their former lofty heights of winning every game by default.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I've also had the feeling that they've been adding complexity for complexity's sake into EU4 for a while now.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Don't think the PLA have started any huge, genocidal wars on the initiative of some mid-ranking officers yet, so I'd say Imperial Japan is still worse.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dreddout posted:

It's so far off the mark to be farcical either way.

China prefers to make business deals with the African nations it's involved with. There's no overt coercion.That's a bit different than the gunboat diplomacy of Victorian era Germany, and a huge difference from the genocidal policies of Imperial Japan.

You can say it's exploitive, but it's really rather civil compared to any imperial power

I don't think China has butchered entire African peoples and herded the survivors into a desert to die, so they're probably better than Imperial Germany wrt colonialism too.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Now I might just be an ignorant city boy, but I've always thought that there's a slight ethical difference between slaughtering a bunny for food, which one would assume wouldn't take very long and hence not cause much unnecessary suffering (if done properly), and letting that bunny get torn apart by a dog, which one would assume would do that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

Rabbits are uh, flighty. They tend to die whenever they get chased enough. So usually they suffer cardiac arrest before the dog ever gets to them

Doesn't sound that much more humane to me.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mods rename me to protest cum riot, tia

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LimburgLimbo posted:

Real question; are you one of the people that believes North Korea didn’t fire the first shots of the war despite a preponderance of evidence? Like they just happened to have their entire military on the border ready to rumble for shits and giggles?

this is literally the exact same reasoning that neo-nazis use for why barbarossa was totally justified lmao

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

US with its open immigration policy

fukken lmao forever

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
yea, you don't actually need enough nukes to wreck the entire world, just enough to wreck any other nuclear power

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's almost like shitlib woke foreign policy is the modern equivalent to 19th century "mission to civilize" bullshit, and is used in the same way to provide an acceotable smokescreen for virulent racism

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

If you're keeping people from having kids by forcing them not to have kids against their will that's bad. If you're doing it based on their race or perceived race, that's a genocide.

tell me more about how the han chinese are genociding themselves

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
hail satan

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

Is there anything worthwhile an American citizen can do out of concern for human rights in Xinjiang, or is that well entirely poisoned? I know that sanctions or a trade war aren't the answer, considering how disastrous US sanctions always are for poor people in the targeted countries.

not until the us stops being an imperialist state, so no, not really

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
iirc taiwan is completely reliant on energy imports just to keep the lights on, so without the backing of the us navy all that the prc would have to do is enforce a blockade in case of an armed conflict and that's that

Cerebral Bore has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Mar 15, 2021

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

there’s a part of me that thinks that to get through to those people you need to find some common ground. like, imagine you believed literal Hitler 2.0 was happening, you’d feel pretty scared and helpless and angry. seems like an understandable reaction if you actually believe they’re doing a genocide in Xinjiang (to be clear, calling for the extermination of all Han Chinese isn’t excusable, but you can understand the brain state of what gets someone to go there). I think it’s worth taking extra care to point out that you’re not disagreeing with their reaction to a possible genocide, rather that there’s reason to distrust the information fed to us by the US State Department

these dipshits don't actually care because even if you believe the worst allegations of what's going on in xinjiang the us is doing the exact same things, and i don't see them lifting even one finger to stop this but rather, for some strange reason, they instead spend all their time concocting racist fantasies beneath a woke smokescreen

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

I mean if they believe America’s propaganda about Xinjiang they probably also believe America’s propaganda about America. there’s a lot of ignorance that needs to be chipped away and you have to pick your battles at first

these are the same people who spent four years screaming about trump's concentration camps only to do a complete 180 once their guy was in office. they literally don't give a gently caress beyond this poo poo providing them with an outlet to be as racist as they like against an acceptable target

e: the russia poo poo was the same thing, but now that that narrative's lost its utility they're pivoting to the next acceptable target

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

so what is the point of ever discussing it at all?

there certainly is no point discussing this with shitlibs, if that's what you're wondering

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

i mean the least negative interpretation is that Chinese live within an ethnic monoculture so they're blind to issues like this but this doesn't bode well for working with African Americans for example

"these foreigners are totally racist because one billion+ people scattered over the second-largest country in the world are just some undifferentiated monoculture" he said, wokely

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

it’s interesting how Asian Americans are treated as interchangeable with Asians even on the forums

you don’t see Italian American or more generally Euro-American discourse being tied to Europe for example

shrike82 posted:

i mean the least negative interpretation is that Chinese live within an ethnic monoculture so they're blind to issues like this but this doesn't bode well for working with African Americans for example

:thunk:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dreddout posted:

Cuba has lasted 3 decades without the USSR, I'd be surprised if Taiwan lasted 3 years without the US for the following reasons.

1. Assume the US collapses. Without the presence of the US Navy, the PRC would be able to sanction Taiwan similar to how america sanctioned Cuba

2. Unlike Cuba, which is a large island with a relatively small population. Taiwan has a massive population relative to the size of it's arable land.

3. Moreover, Taiwan being a market economy, is far more reliant on international trade than Cuba ever could be

4. Taiwan can't count on the Europeans/east asians pushing back on the embargo due to China's importance to their economies/the relative disparity of military projection capability

5. Without the US military ensuring taiwan's independence, China could use the PLN to place the Taiwanese population under starvation rations.

I doubt it would actually come to this, the threat is enough to have Taiwan acquiesce to some form of settlement with the PRC.

6. taiwan is completely dependent on imports for basically all of its energy, so a couple of weeks of blockade and they couldn't even keep the lights on anymore

Maximo Roboto posted:

Personally I think the whole "Taiwan will have significant resistance to occupation" idea is wishful thinking from anti-invasion perspectives. How long has it been since the ROC has fought a war? lol at imagining the well-fed docile Taiwanese public and declining military as anything resembling the disgruntled unemployed Baathist army or mujahideen insurgents.

That said, it is true that it seems kinda silly to assume that the Chinese public would be okay with their troops getting killed (even if it's not many) in an unprovoked war. And, even if there's nationalist fervor to reclaim the island, do they actually also have the stomach to make war on Taiwanese people, who to them are just a different provincial culture of Chinese people?

i like that they give away the game immediately by basically admitting that the real objective of the us in the event of an invasion isn't to defend taiwan's system of government but to bleed china as much as possible

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Junkozeyne posted:

The insistence that Taiwan has to spend more resources on the military are really strange. Like short of nukes and/or mining the entire island what exactly would that achieve in an actual invasion besides inflating the death count on both sides.

yes, that's the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well the moon mission happened because it was half of a military project. So if you can sell any infrasturcture project as military (like the internet or starlink), you can still make it happen.

the us has lost the ability to do even halfway efficient military projects as well, so even if you managed to sell something as military spending what would happen is that all the graft and waste means that you'd get something half-assed about a decade late and at ten+ times the original projected cost