Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

can someone please explain to me whether the hong kong protests are good or bad like abstractly they sound good but i keep seeing these pictures of them waving around american flags and in south korea the only protestors who do that are the insane geriatric ones who think literally everyone is a communist and that they need to be put in concentration camps

i cant even imagine who would unironically do something like that in trump year three is there a word thats just the bizarro meaning of tankies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

somehow i get the impression that the typical hong kong protestor is not terribly worried that the government is going to seize their commodities or equities

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

really weird trend in this thread of trying inspire sympathy for the protests by talking about how mean china is being to rich people in hong kong

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im not actually sure what the hong kong protests are about at all and clicked on this thread hoping for less legalistic answers

i really very seriously doubt its about the extradition bill because as far i can tell that got killed several weeks ago and it sounded more like an excuse to start protesting than something that was all that terrible on its own kind of like how the yellow vest protests in france have really broad grievances but good luck getting anyone in english media to acknowledge any of them besides the original gas tax

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

Jimmy Lai also speaks pretty good English and has appeared on CNN and others for pro-democracy pieces. I remember he did a bunch of interviews back during the Umbrella Movement so I decided to punch up YouTube and see what he's done lately, this is a great first result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W9jxhWNZjY
I appreciate YouTube warning me:

Wow there are a lot of these. The Party really hates Jimmy Lai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwYgXyTf5tk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Twx39qimm0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n8YP3eYMf4

But here he is on Fox last month:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQMgV9UB1kU

Now he falls down on the right binary side of this issue but he is a massive libertarian shithead who makes friends with Fox News so

why are the posters who are insisting the protests are good insisting on talking about a guy who sounds like a younger hipper rupert murdoch

like do any of you have any idea where youre posting right now because its like youre intentionally picking the least possible convincing arguments

get that OUT of my face posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqueir6xja0

ostensibly this is about the Wolf Warrior movies, their disturbing undertones (white yellow genocide), and how it ties in to PRC's propaganda campaign. it ends up bouncing around from topic to topic kind of aimlessly, but it's still informative

the movie's action scenes look decent, though

there is something incredibly silly about using this as an example for why the ccp is evil when their entire evil plan for taking over africa is to build infrastructure whereas our evil plan is to just build a million random military bases with no obvious purpose and hope no one asks what the gently caress theyre doing there

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

did you ignore the disclaimer at the beginning of the video? both things you pointed out are being done as a way to "help" Africa. in the US case, it's security, in the Chinese case, it's infrastructure. but look closer and they're both ways to entrap them long-term

you framed the video as being about the wolf warrior movies which i havent seen and he doesnt start talking about it until a third of the way through it but its besides the point because as far as i know chinas plans in regards to africa have nothing to do with any pretense of providing security and from what i can tell this wolf warrior movie is just the chinese version of the same kind of ultra macho bullshit we overproduced so much in the eighties its now an entire throwback genre

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

yeah see this is what i mean about ineffective arguments china made some movies that follow the america propaganda formula that dont relate to any obvious foreign policy goal and comes off as transparently silly to any non china outligned outsider meanwhile the american propaganda formula is so pervasive in american film culture that no one even notices that it exists anymore even in foreign countries and the guy even repeats the line about how china unfairly prevents american films from monopolizing their domestic market as if it is our god given right to flood the world with lovely comic book movies

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

whoa you mean wolf warrior is actually a movie about building infrastructure thats not what the video said at all

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im surprised to hear that the current protests exhibit fewer xenophonic tendencies than the umbrella movement because up until now i hadnt heard anything about the umbrella movement having any xenophobic tendencies at all

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Known Lecher posted:

Yeah I assumed it was there for dialect speakers who might not understand other dialects (or maybe even putonghua if they're real real backwoods), with the side benefit that they also helped the deaf...but I never really thought about how they handled live broadcasts. I guess live signing is all they can do until automated live subtitles get accurate enough.

deaf people tend to prefer signing over reading and would probably be really mad if anyone tried to get rid of the live interpretation ive seen people who know sign language be very sincerely impressed at korean news broadcasts with the little signer in the corner

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Tends to be a lot of money left over to patronize high culture after you've wrung every bit of value out of the colonies. That's also why developing countries tend to be recognized primarily for their novelists. Writing a book is relatively cheap.

poetry used to be considered the highest form of art until it became easier for dark skinned people and women to do it at which point it almost immediately disappeared as a serious form of cultural expression novels used to be considered explicit trash until it became obvious that they were long term commitments that non privileged people couldnt easily make

i say swears online posted:

Half the drat world watches soaps from Seoul. How did that happen?

countries that arent the united states tend to import a lot of foreign programming which allows for weirder more offbeat stuff to find an audience provided it strikes a specific enough chord the main reason this doesnt happen more often in the united states is because media companies have become stricter when it comes to cracking down on foreign influence

like one example of this is that my dads cable packages use to have a lot of foreign packages and he would watch stuff like rt or japan news or korean historical dramas hes still obsessed with korean historical dramas even though he has to find them on the internet now because they closed down that channel like a decade ago

this context is why i get a just a liiiittle touchy when i see someone talking about how mean other countries are for having quota systems when it comes to american releases because our own media culture is already for all practical intents and purposes an outrageously xenophobic monopoly the only foreign dramas or movies most film or tv critics in this country have heard of is either weird poo poo from the festival circuit that no one in the home country has actually seen or anime

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

if you really think critics know poo poo about foreign film you obviously have not tried reading any reviews recently

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

like seriously dude this subforum has multiple threads dedicated to how journalists are complete loving morons who are incapable of the most basic fact checks yet you think film criticism a field that is entirely opinion based where the writers frequently have no past experience in film where reviews themselves are almost entirely dominated by completely pointless plot summaries where supposed experts sincerely believed that movies like black panther and mary poppins returns were among the best of 2018 thats the field where you think anybody has any idea what theyre doing

like how gullible are you well pretty gullible actually since you believe that monopolies arent real and that anglo speaking people just naturally trend toward subtitleless entertainment i mean its not like we have an entire subculture dedicated to insane devotion to glorious nippon right because that would prove your entire hypothesis is completely full of poo poo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

People consuming media made in their language and catering to their culture; a monopoly that only exists in Anglo culture.

do you know what the word monopoly means

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

does the guy who made pepe get paid for any of this because its starting to sound like pepes so big in china he should probably be set for life just on merchandising fees

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

right on schedule another bloodnose factoid that makes the protesters look less sympathetic

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what exactly is that even supposed to be referring to some kind of proposition because i find it kind of hard to believe that chinese agents are just roaming the streets of ohio demanding personal information from every random passerby

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

love how kneejerk xenophobia is now just a totally rational reaction by both political parties without even the slightest regard to explaining how such and such legislation actually benefits foreign powers

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

Desperate people praying for foreign intervention is also not the same thing as being a fifth column or whatever.

when was the last time normal people actually begged for foreigners to invade their countries in the sincere belief that war would somehow improve their lives

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thats the best looking manliest trump ive seen outside of a garrison cartoon

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ace of Baes posted:

https://twitter.com/seizethememez/status/1170687044026109953?s=19

In the replies of the tweet you just posted saying it's one in ten thousand graffiti lol

whoa a twitter reply said that

pack it in tankies discussions over

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

like to take a moment to appreciate this threads use of tankies as a slur when the current point of contention is the relative size and influence of the protest faction that is trying to bring tanks into hong kong and doesnt even seem that picky about which country the tanks are coming from

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

legitimately surprised they even remember that happened

like im sure some lovely thing probably happened in china thirty years ago but you dont see any protestors around here commemorating it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

just robots dont worry your pretty little head about it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what does repulsed by beijings authoritarianism mean in a 1997 context like what immediate significant change did the chinese government bring about that made hong kongers angry that they were being ruled by the chinese instead of the british

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

another question can anybody tell me about tashpolot tiyip and why he was sentenced to death i just got linked a puff piece thats almost entirely just a biography of stuff that happened decades ago off of someones blog which is also apparently the only of exactly three sources about the guy on wikipedia

kind of suspicious why i havent heard more about him since no one will shut up about the camps but this seems like a more straightforwardly bad thing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

sincx posted:

edit:
Anyone else getting a USSR Anthem vibe from this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUIDL4SB60g

https://twitter.com/howdoimakename/status/1172073368914288641?p=v

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

do the protestors support shane because hes racist against chinese or do they oppose him because he like most white people has absolutely no idea what the difference is between a chinese person and a hong konger in the first place

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

tino posted:

HKers can also immigrate to TW for about 200k USD FYI. Better food than Cyprus.

does taiwan have an official initiative to bring more hong kongers into the country or is that just normal moving costs

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

does the ccp just block all trump related news from entering the country via firewalls because extreme ignorance is the only way i can think of to justify this

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wait they paid a real orchestra to do that i just assumed they did it themselves youd think a million strong protest would have enough people trained in classical instruments to build their own orchestra

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

can someone explain to me why belt and road is supposed to be bad again

the main recurring argument i hear against it is that theyre putting africa in debt but i read somewhere that china apparently only holds about forty percent of africas overall debt which begs the question of who has the other sixty percent and what they did to deserve it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is that what i sound like in the d and d korea thread

geez no wonder everyone thinks im an rear end in a top hat

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Modest Mao posted:

Oh yeah anti chinese rhetoric, his general support for Taiwan, wonder if they know about his trade war against China?????? the only major policy that effects the region they're in????

wait this sounds counterintuitive if everybody knows about trumps trade war against china why does that mean trump good doesnt the trade war against china also hurt hong kong or are they just basing their politics around the spite of how trump must be good since he makes their enemies mad

amusingly enough thats also why trumps supporters think hes good but on the flip side im not stupid enough to think that just because xi jinping opposes trump that means hes my friend and i should want him to intervene in americas political system to do god knows what

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

cant decide whether that sounds better or worse than american police

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Rabelais D posted:

Actually mainland China makes it prohibitively difficult for the helpers to go across the border; they can't just go and apply for a visa at the consulate, their employer needs to do it for them, it's both more difficult (more paperwork), more expensive and the restrictions are tighter.

Helpers aren't all dreaming of escaping to the mainland dude, they by and large wish they could work in Canada, and they see HK as the 'stepping stone' to do so, although quite how that works I'm not sure. The Middle East is seen as the easiest, and worst (most easily exploited/lowest pay?) place to get work as a domestic helper. HK is a bit higher on the list but not by a great deal, as Bloodnose said, it's still pretty poo poo here for them; it's a bad system that needs reform.

id think if you were worried about getting trapped canada would be a much worse place for it to happen it because its much farther away

anyone remember that story about some reporter whose filipino family brought a maid with them to the united states as he described how she was straight up living as a slave i really didnt get the impression from that story that location is all that important provided your employer is willing to be a sufficiently abusive rear end in a top hat

well unless theyd just stayed in the phillipines maybe then she probably could have run away that part of the story really bugged me how he just glosses over her resisting the idea of going to the united states and requiring inevitably broken promises to agree to it she knew exactly how much danger she was putting herself in

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i dont think bringing up brexit is a good idea if youre trying to argue that ideologically motivated protestors against foreign influence are supposed to be the good guys

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

do british goons generally consider brexit to be leftist legislation i stopped reading the cspam brit thread after the tories chickened out of the last deadline but that seems like the kind of assertion most britgoons would strongly disagree with

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

whos the woman you confused her with thats actually the illegitimate daughter of a car mechanic

or is this one of those wacky translation things where car mechanic is a slang term for filthy rich real estate mogul

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

tino posted:

I stopped following Taiwanese news about 10 years ago and only started again recently. The most striking thing about Tsai ing-wen to me is not that she was a minor child of a minor mother of a local rich man (which reminds of...Osama bin laden), the weirdest thing to me is that the Taiwanese public voted in a single woman who never had a successful marriage life, and no child to be their president.

in south korea park geun hye used those as a selling point to argue she couldnt be corrupt since there was no one she could trust to embezzle money for her

politifact rates this as true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

Now back here in the China thread, a religious minority is being shackled and sent off to camps by the millions. That is bad.

yeah uh about that im looking at the tweet thread that set off this entire weird argument and

its not actually clear that this video has anything to do with uyghurs at all