Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bloodnose posted:

It would be great to just roll the tanks into Beijing, try the Standing Committee for genocide and watch them all swing, but that's not how it works with nuclear powers.

All you can do is wage an information warfare campaign to try to destabilize the government from the inside in hopes of spurring a revolution or coup that installs a substantially less evil regime.

Man, not joining the State Department is looking like the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

wrap it up ameriailures

I'm pretty sure China's fiber rollout already dwarfed the US by 2013.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Professorjuggalo posted:

Saying ‘I do not want them to become wealthy like Americans

I read that as 'in the same manner as' not 'to the same degree as'

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Very much so.

Gonna be a lot of gap years. And sone are looking at other countries entirely.

Man I bet NZ universities are gonna have their pick of Chinese students for the next couple years at least.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not only is it a real brain genius move to have your private universities rely on extracting foreign money from rich striplings and then just 2 doing that over xenophobia, fr??om an one ~ the greatest propaganda weapons ever wielded by the West was just having people who lived in communist countries travel to the West so they could marvel at just how much "better" everything was... and then now the US doesn't want people to be able to do that either!

Plus the prestige of having the world's best and brightest, and also the world's richest, predominently choosing your schools. Plus you get to brain drain your adversaries, not only in taking some of their best students but you have institutions that can draw good researchers and lecturers that your adversaries educated domestically, too.

US higher ed, despite being a merciless meat grinder was enviable (from an elite perspective) in basically every conceivable way. And now that status is probably irrepairably damaged.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
They do that in Japan, too.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I had a student preparing to study in the US, asking me for advice. I told him to only eat with Chinese people once a week.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I want to see a Chinese version of Staplerfahrer Klaus.

Oh wait, that's just every day on Chinese streets.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What is the location in China that is farthest from the nearest McDonalds or Starbucks?

That is Real China.

(And it has a KFC.)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
reminder that horse semen pie guy became NYT Beijing bureau chief after that

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I was going to make a joke that thanks to Corona, mass shooting will be down in 2020.

Much to my surprise, 2020 already has 42% more mass shootings than the historic height of last year.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org

quote:

Officer Involved Incident1 Killed 57
Officer Killed or Injured Injured 330

Officer Involved Incident1 Killed 1,221
Subject-Suspect Killed or Injured Injured 893

Huh.

One, that suspect death total sounds low. Two, the ratios.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

fart simpson posted:

getting permanent residency is doable through a few different ways but citizenship is incredibly difficult and you have to be stateless i think

Met a guy who had it. Said that he has to go through the same 90 minute "what is this? no I need your shenfenzheng or visa" routine pretty much every time he would need to show his passport.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

fart simpson posted:

had pr or citizenship?

Residency. 'china green card'

I can't recall i think the card may have even said that on it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

mila kunis posted:

is the CCP gonna actually do something about unaffordable housing

More loans to poor people

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Man it's so hard to run a business in china without connections. If only my business selling illegal custom motorcycles in a market I clearly didn't understand had more guanxi it might have been a success.

I am never going to forget that guy stating that he did not benefit from white privilege.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
China could be a lot better than it is but it is in most ways better than anywhere else I have lived and in few ways worse. ~NUANCE~

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
They're not pandering to western culture, businesses are adapting western commercial holidays to Japanese culture. I am not sure culture is a thing to which one can pander, and anyhow the intended audience is Japanese people.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
my boss last time I was in Japan referred to her currently stint there as her third 'Japanese adventure.' She was stationed there 3 to 5 years at a time.

She spoke no Japanese. I eventually figured out she basically never left the US military base. She didn't know any of the local landmarks.

I already tended away from to expat bubbles but seeing someone so firmly planted in one (while maintaining the pretense that she was some kind of world-wise traveler) gave me a powerful aversion to them.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

I like gently caress that bullshit for a moment, but uh, yeah, itmakes sense...they are the biggest COVID danger in the country.

Shouldn't loving be there tho

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
China is not the ideal state.

If the choice is between a future which continues to be dominated by the United States, and one where China is either dominant or a pole on par with the US, the latter is better. What isn't an option anywhere in view is China leaving a country to their own devices, and the US also doing so. It ain't gonna loving happen.

I think I'd rather hand over superpower status to the Sentinelese, though.

VideoTapir has issued a correction as of 12:49 on Jan 11, 2021

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Antonymous posted:

It's easy to like China yet not have to see the world as CIA vs The Only Hope For Communism.

It *is* the CIA vs...something if not that.

quote:

While unfortunately the english internet is incredibly lovely and basically only... the CIA gets its views repeated, on a left wing forum I think it should be a safe space to say China's Government Is Not Always Right, in the moral or factual senses

Fair enough.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Antonymous posted:

can't wait to see who's right between such expert research as "I talked to my neighbors" and "I read something on the english internet"

My money is on neighbors

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I get all my information about China from people who can't correctly pronounce Chinese placenames.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
China would be better served pouring resources into seawalls

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What's going on in Sakhalin and the Kuril Islands?

Also LOL Anhui.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The various misspelled 1 kuai beers below Snow on the supermarket shelf are worse.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Chamale posted:

Is there a good source to point at when someone wants accurate info about Uyghur rights?

No.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Stairmaster posted:

At worse it's equivalent to what america is doing right now. And like the usa they will face no meaningful consequences for it in the end

Does anyone have a link to that Chinese official, I wanna say it was on Twitter, about 2 years ago, comparing whatever it is China is actually doing in Xinjiang to boarding schools?

The single dumbest thing they could have said, on multiple levels.

Level 1: Not understanding what exactly it was they were comparing their own actions to. (I immediately recognized this one, but naively did not predict the next part)

Level 2: By acknowledging they're up to SOMETHING, they freed the US to make up any kind of fantastical nonsense and assert that as the something to which China is up, and which they acknowledged. They basically declared China's actions in Xinjiang as a variable which can contain any value between 0 and Exterminatus.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If they're doing the residential school thing, that's genocide by the original definition; but not the legal definition which was specifically crafted to exclude poo poo the US and its allies were doing.

Can't call them out on that, so you have to make up fantastical bullshit.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The US leaving the middle east would erode any excuse China has.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Relevant Tangent posted:

it would be illegal for texas to do that because america doesn't have an official language

that is not what not having an official language means. First of all states rights (to suck it, but also to do poo poo like this). Second, Texas used to do just that (it was changed legislatively), and Arizona effectively still does.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
How hard do I gotta pull to get outta this finger trap?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
confound their politics
frustrate their knavish tricks

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Every country should teach their kids about their atrocities.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Really? Again?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
all the way down

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndyKimNJ/status/1373282035633119233

according to this thread the state department bans ethnic korean americans from working on korean adjacent diplomacy

all of a sudden the chronic stupidity of this countrys korea policy makes a lot more sense

Why does the US military spend millions training non koreans to speak the language (and having half of them fail not because the language is hard but because they didn't choose korean and don't give a gently caress) when there are a couple million koreans in the US who would at least have connections to the language and therefore some motivation?

I am pretty sure it is so there is a supply of korean speakers who can spy on south korea...I am not sure that non koreans are any less risk for blabbing to NK.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Joyboy posted:

you realize a lot of korean-americans don't speak korean right

Yes.

quote:

would at least have connections to the language

Like immediate or distant family, or a desire to connect with ancestral roots. Like some people I have known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Yeah let's not listen to anyone who might have firsthand knowledge. I am gonna go with the Zinjang crew on this one.