Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

This was my first "traditional" MMO that I made it to max level. I have really enjoyed this game in the past. My favorite classes have been Jedi Guardian/Jugg or Vanguard/Powertech. I've been following this thread for a week or so now and wanted to throw a few comments out there.

With regards to the Trooper storyline, I thought it was quite good. I played a mainly dark side trooper and one of the major dark side choices I think at the end of Act 2 was super satisfying. That one choice sticks out in my mind more than any other class story.

That being said, I pretty much have one of every archetype to max level. (Jedi Shadow/ Sith Sorc for example) However, there are a few mirror classes that are tickling my fancy to relevel on the Empire Side. I was thinking of leveling a Powertech as my current BH is a merc. However, Sith Assassin and Operative both tickled my interest last night as I was trying to find up to date class guides.

How are Powertechs in the current game? What about stealth classes like Deception Assassin or the corresponding stealth build for Operative?

Doing burst damage seems fairly interesting and having stealth seems like an interesting change of pace. The last stealth class I used in the game was a Shadow but that was back in the beginning of the game. I also only used the shadow as a tank. I cleared Soa when that was current content as a shadow tank.

Are all companions now roughly the same? I remember when Treek was considered "the best" companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Saul Kain posted:

Are all companions now roughly the same? I remember when Treek was considered "the best" companion.

In 4.0 they homogenized the companions so they could do any role. Treek took a huge hit because she lost her unique Tank/Heal hybrid advantages.

For the most part all companions perform identically, gear no longer matters, only your Influence (formerly affection) makes them stronger. Different themed companions were given similar move sets, which kind of stinks since classic companions lost a lot of their unique skill sets (Nadia's knockback for example)

There are a few outliers -

Shae Vizla is the "best" DPS companion as she has an additional channeled AOE compared to other DPS roles.

Lokin is sometimes considered the best Tank since he has a leap not on cooldown, but his threat generation is lacking.

Z0-0M is the best healer as she has an additional channeled heal compared to other healers.

But the differences are so small it's not worth worrying about, you can play with whatever companion you want.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Treek seems to still have some AoE heal effect that I've not noticed other companions using. I may be imagining it because she's just so much fun as a companion, but she seems to be a slightly better option for flashpoint comp if there's a slot open.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Wait, so I can only get the log mount if I sub? Such pay to win bullshit...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yeah but the more people riding logs, the more EVERYBODY wins...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So if i'm subbed I can play all the expansion content, I can't actually buy them separately, is this correct?

Also what are the good crew missions these days?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

XBenedict posted:

Consular was better than trooper. I’m in the minority that actually likes the Consular story.

I feel like the Smuggler story may be a tad overhyped.

I really liked the Consular story, but I almost didn't finish it because the voice acting was so bad. The writing and character was good, but all the lines are delivered in monotone - in the end, I played half the story with the sound off, and the other half with it on after I realized that dialogue that would be heavily sarcastic on other characters just sounded like a normal person on the consular.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

CODChimera posted:

So if i'm subbed I can play all the expansion content, I can't actually buy them separately, is this correct?

Correct, but you only need to sub for a month to have access to the content forever. So effectively, $15 to own it all permanently.

(Might want to wait until October if you're thinking about being stingy with your sub; do it after Onslaught comes out so that you get access to that as well.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pryce posted:

Correct, but you only need to sub for a month to have access to the content forever. So effectively, $15 to own it all permanently.

(Might want to wait until October if you're thinking about being stingy with your sub; do it after Onslaught comes out so that you get access to that as well.)

I put my feedback in the forums but geez dude, getting more rewards for running a 10 minute veteran Hammer Station than a Story Mode KP.... That's a bad move. I'm cool with the random FP loot, but there needs to be more personal loot in Ops.

I am still pumped for 6.0 of course.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

I put my feedback in the forums but geez dude, getting more rewards for running a 10 minute veteran Hammer Station than a Story Mode KP.... That's a bad move. I'm cool with the random FP loot, but there needs to be more personal loot in Ops.

I am still pumped for 6.0 of course.

Drop rates are easy to tweak and are definitely not final/accurate right now. Leave forum feedback on the rate of acquisition and it should be easy to change.

Forgetting drop rates for a sec (easier said than done), does the overall concept of what they’re going for at least work in theory, even if the numbers suck right now?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pryce posted:

Drop rates are easy to tweak and are definitely not final/accurate right now. Leave forum feedback on the rate of acquisition and it should be easy to change.

Forgetting drop rates for a sec (easier said than done), does the overall concept of what they’re going for at least work in theory, even if the numbers suck right now?

Yeah I like it quite a bit. I think Operations should always drop better gear than flashpoints, but I like that it's dropping all sorts of viable green gear.

As it is right now, it's far more efficient for two people to chain run Hammer Station. I want that to be an option, but there still needs to be motivation to run Ops or PvP.

I also like the Amplifiers in theory, but I think turning them off in PvP would be my recommendation since balancing them for PvP is going to be a nightmare and go against the decision of bolstering to max to make skill more important.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Yeah I like it quite a bit. I think Operations should always drop better gear than flashpoints, but I like that it's dropping all sorts of viable green gear.

As it is right now, it's far more efficient for two people to chain run Hammer Station. I want that to be an option, but there still needs to be motivation to run Ops or PvP.

I also like the Amplifiers in theory, but I think turning them off in PvP would be my recommendation since balancing them for PvP is going to be a nightmare and go against the decision of bolstering to max to make skill more important.

Hey we just found a bug that's making Ops drop bad/wrong loot. So that's a thing we'll fix next week :P

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Is it the old classic OPs or are you testing a new OP?
Are there new, class-related armor styles coming to OPs?

How about e-peen lightsabers dropping off OPs?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pryce posted:

Hey we just found a bug that's making Ops drop bad/wrong loot. So that's a thing we'll fix next week :P

Hooray!

Siegkrow posted:

Is it the old classic OPs or are you testing a new OP?
Are there new, class-related armor styles coming to OPs?

How about e-peen lightsabers dropping off OPs?

New Operation is on the PTS!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Are developers still not making a disconnect between PVP and PVE in the year of our lord 2019?

At a certain point, you just have to admit that you don't know what you're doing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

Are developers still not making a disconnect between PVP and PVE in the year of our lord 2019?

At a certain point, you just have to admit that you don't know what you're doing.

Yeah it's sad. At least in 6.0 everyone is bolstered to max, but of course the amplifier poo poo is going to mess things up.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

It's been obvious for years now that the devs don't understand the PvP meta. Besides that PvE, WZ's, sranked, and granked all have distinct metas and trying balance between them is a fool's errand.

ToR still has the best PvP though and gear disparity is minimal, the boogeyman baddies point to so they don't have to point at themselves.

If crybabies really want to see gear disparity BG's will be in Classic WoW in a few of months. I meant to log on to the PTS today but decided to sell Deadmine runs to desperate DPS on my multiboxed Warrior/Priest instead.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Pryce posted:

That seems pretty reasonable, I finished the smuggler story after the original release and picked it back up to see the other stories and expansion stuff. Doing the agent one now and leveling seems much faster which is good and the fast travel options remove a lot of the boring running around. I didn't even have the ship portal one last time I played

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

It's been obvious for years now that the devs don't understand the PvP meta. Besides that PvE, WZ's, sranked, and granked all have distinct metas and trying balance between them is a fool's errand.

ToR still has the best PvP though and gear disparity is minimal, the boogeyman baddies point to so they don't have to point at themselves.

If crybabies really want to see gear disparity BG's will be in Classic WoW in a few of months. I meant to log on to the PTS today but decided to sell Deadmine runs to desperate DPS on my multiboxed Warrior/Priest instead.

I like that they decided to just bolster everyone to max in 6.0, but I'm worried the amplifier are going to make gear a factor again. I really wish they'd just turn them off in PVP

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Everytime I try playing this I get bored and end up watching the cutscenes on youtube instead.

This is my third try...

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I like that they decided to just bolster everyone to max in 6.0, but I'm worried the amplifier are going to make gear a factor again. I really wish they'd just turn them off in PVP

Yeah it's weird that they homogenized the talents then did this. My impression is that they're trying to freshen up the classes a bit since adding new classes to ToR would be a headache.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Got my 5 group activities on the PTS...I guess FP's now scale down instead of up? Hammer Station was lvl 17, cleared it 5 times in less than 15 minutes by just running straight to bosses gathering everything up on the way then AoE'ing everything down.

A good change for lowbie groups lacking heals though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah it seems they're going to put flashpoints and ops to their original levels.

Master Mode Hammer Station is no joke though. Everything is 70 and against my 75 they hit like a truck. I was able to solo most bosses with my companion on heals, but the final boss was brutal. Finally had a friend join me and it STILL took us about 5 tries (mostly because of companions standing in stupid).

Pryce
May 21, 2011

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Got my 5 group activities on the PTS...I guess FP's now scale down instead of up? Hammer Station was lvl 17, cleared it 5 times in less than 15 minutes by just running straight to bosses gathering everything up on the way then AoE'ing everything down.

A good change for lowbie groups lacking heals though.

They're not supposed to be as EZmode as they are right now; still working on the balance for Veteran.

Master Mode feels like an actual "hey use a proper group" challenge now; not sure that we're happy with it yet though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think Master is pretty good. I really don't think people should be able to duo it, and the rewards seem pretty solid for a group.

I think there's still a lot of RNG involved and the tech fragments don't stack up quick enough at this time. But overall headed in the right direction

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I think outside story mode flashpoints should need a group.
I'd prefer if it was a structured group, mostly because joining a 4 DPS flashpoint Is usually :shepicide:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Allowing one companion might help there, at least for Veteran. Dunno how viable that is to do intentionally, although I have had it happen in story mode via bugs.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Pryce posted:

They're not supposed to be as EZmode as they are right now; still working on the balance for Veteran.

Master Mode feels like an actual "hey use a proper group" challenge now; not sure that we're happy with it yet though.

Any thoughts to tiering the FP's?

Hammer Station being weighted the same as Crisis for rewards is absolutely ridiculous as is getting a Tank in quest blues. It just leads to people just dropping group when the harder FP's queue and wasting everyone's time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hey Pryce, I think PvP might be bugged on PTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WELP I was working on a new OP and hit Submit instead of Preview SOOOOOO NEW THREAD TIME BITCHES