Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Sounds like a lot of content coming next month.

First I'm hearing about a new WZ. Can't wait for that skip-to-lvl-70-without-advancing-the-story token.

Yeah I'm thinking their decision to skip the expansion was risky but they're making some really good moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

neurotic posted:

This is why I killed her when I had the chance. PROTIP: If the game gives you the option to kill a companion, do it. You won't regret it.
Dunno, Kaliyo is p cool

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Can't wait for that skip-to-lvl-70-without-advancing-the-story token.

Some deets on that:

EricMusco posted:

We are producing a blog on it but I can give some basics. It is purchased from the CM (similar to the 60 and 65 tokens), and will be tradeable (so it can be sold on the GTN). It then gives you an item which you use on a character. That item will level you to 70 and place you on your Class ship (whether you have one or not from story, this doesn't impact your ability to get it naturally). It will also give you a set of starter gear for level 70.

To be honest, I was kinda hoping for a Legacy-wide item like the XP boost gear from the LvD event.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Do the LvD companions have quests/dialogue while you play/level, or are they just another silent companion?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

clone on the phone posted:

Gazillion lost the license for their Marvel game and it's being shut down. I wonder how things are over in Bioware with this game?

The only way this would happen is if the backlash against Battlefront 2 makes Disney pull the license from EA. Kind of unlikely.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gazillion was broke and didn't have anything upcoming that would bring in money.

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!
I just started playing this. Maybe my issue is I'm not cut out for the traditional MMO thing, but...

What class should I be playing if I don't want to have to manage two dozen buttons? I'm completely overwhelmed by the huge amount of abilities I'm being given.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Invincible Spleen posted:

I just started playing this. Maybe my issue is I'm not cut out for the traditional MMO thing, but...

What class should I be playing if I don't want to have to manage two dozen buttons? I'm completely overwhelmed by the huge amount of abilities I'm being given.

Almost all abilities are only meant to be used by one discipline, and for basic gameplay your don't even need to worry about all of the moves you're supposed to use.

I'd go with Marksmanship Sniper, Arsenal Mercenary, or Lightning Sorcerer for the easiest

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

Medullah posted:

Almost all abilities are only meant to be used by one discipline, and for basic gameplay your don't even need to worry about all of the moves you're supposed to use.

I'd go with Marksmanship Sniper, Arsenal Mercenary, or Lightning Sorcerer for the easiest

I'm playing lightning sorcerer and outside of my area effect skill it seems like I have a whole bunch of nearly identical moves. Should I just be using whichever one is does slightly higher damage? Chaining them together?

I'll try a mercenary or sniper and see if they're any better. My only previous MMO experience is Guild Wars 2, so this is a completely different realm of complexity for me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

The only way this would happen is if the backlash against Battlefront 2 makes Disney pull the license from EA. Kind of unlikely.

Unless EA finds a way to be exceptionally terrible the worst that’ll happen is them losing exclusivity.

In other words I give it a 50/50 shot.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What's the best way to manage gear while leveling: farm dungeons or upgrade the orange gear's slots every few levels?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

super sweet best pal posted:

What's the best way to manage gear while leveling: farm dungeons or upgrade the orange gear's slots every few levels?

Upgrading the orange gear's slots every 8 levels or so gives you a huge upgrade approximately every other planet. The bits you plug in are also decently cheap.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Invincible Spleen posted:

I'm playing lightning sorcerer and outside of my area effect skill it seems like I have a whole bunch of nearly identical moves. Should I just be using whichever one is does slightly higher damage? Chaining them together?

I'll try a mercenary or sniper and see if they're any better. My only previous MMO experience is Guild Wars 2, so this is a completely different realm of complexity for me.

I usually figure out how to use the main abilities just from reading your skill tree thing in the combat proficiencies. Like if one says "increases crit chance of lightning bolt, thundering blast, chain lightning" or whatever that generally means those are abilities you should be using. Also ones that tell you how to order them, like if it says "thundering blast automatically crits on targets with affliction on them" then you know you should put affliction up before using thundering blast. That's how I get a basic idea of it anyways. You could also try looking up online guides if you prefer that but those are more in-depth than you need since they're mainly for maximizing DPS on raids or whatever. Here's one for lightning sorc: http://dulfy.net/2016/12/26/swtor-5-0-lightning-sorcerer-pve-guide-by-sion/ I'd just scroll down to the "Priority System" part (note: when something says "with proc" it means when the ability on the hotbar is glowing).

But if all you're doing is basic questing you really don't need to worry about it too much if you don't want to. You can literally just force storm everything. But if you want to actually learn it I'd suggest just trying to remember to do one thing at a time, get comfortable with it, then add another thing in. Like start by keybinding affliction to something, and then in every fight make yourself remember to put affliction up first and then do whatever. Once you're doing that automatically, keybind and make yourself remember to do thundering blast after affliction is up and then do whatever until it's back off cooldown, etc.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

If you haven't used the code yet, today is the last day you can enter SPECIALFORCES to get a free set of Special Forces armor.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Turbl posted:

I usually figure out how to use the main abilities just from reading your skill tree thing in the combat proficiencies. Like if one says "increases crit chance of lightning bolt, thundering blast, chain lightning" or whatever that generally means those are abilities you should be using. Also ones that tell you how to order them, like if it says "thundering blast automatically crits on targets with affliction on them" then you know you should put affliction up before using thundering blast. That's how I get a basic idea of it anyways. You could also try looking up online guides if you prefer that but those are more in-depth than you need since they're mainly for maximizing DPS on raids or whatever. Here's one for lightning sorc: http://dulfy.net/2016/12/26/swtor-5-0-lightning-sorcerer-pve-guide-by-sion/ I'd just scroll down to the "Priority System" part (note: when something says "with proc" it means when the ability on the hotbar is glowing).

But if all you're doing is basic questing you really don't need to worry about it too much if you don't want to. You can literally just force storm everything. But if you want to actually learn it I'd suggest just trying to remember to do one thing at a time, get comfortable with it, then add another thing in. Like start by keybinding affliction to something, and then in every fight make yourself remember to put affliction up first and then do whatever. Once you're doing that automatically, keybind and make yourself remember to do thundering blast after affliction is up and then do whatever until it's back off cooldown, etc.

It's daunting to try and learn how a new class works if you're jumping right into the deep end rotation, but it's not too bad if you're leveling up from level 1. Every time you get a new skill/trait, just take a look and think "what does this do to my core skill set" and adjust accordingly. Some of the stuff you unlock is gonna be bleeding edge crap like "critting on a skill you don't use reduces a cooldown you forgot you had by .4 seconds" but the stuff you wanna pay close attention to is the stuff that changes how your core abilities work.

I haven't played lightning sorc in a while but a lot of how that one works iirc is that you have a lot of abilities with cast times, but casting some of them will make others instant cast and/or auto-crit so you want to use them in the order that maximizes those advantages. If you're constantly sitting there casting spells the long way you're doing it wrong. Something on your cast bar should be glowing at basically all times.

It used to be so much worse, back when there were skill trees, and before they added that thing that makes your abilities glow when you've proc'd something. A good rule of thumb is that if a button is glowing, you should press it, and then figure out what it is you did that made it glow and do that over and over again. At the end of the day, the easier classes (marks sniper, arse merc, lightning sorc) only use about 4-6 skills to do the bulk of their damage, and using them in the right order becomes second nature before too long.

I used to main marksman sniper, but I think I find arsenal merc and lightning sorc to be a little more user-friendly. Marksman's still extremely easy, but it requires you to stay put more than the other classes, which on rare occasions might require you to think a little bit and make a quick decision

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
No, but seriously, where is everyone?

I know I've said that this is a terrible game no one should play, but no one's ever listened to me before...

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

I know I've said that this is a terrible game no one should play, but no one's ever listened to me before...

I finished Smuggler this week and will finish either Consular or Trooper this weekend. Or both :shobon:

But yeah, never seen more than 3 people online at once.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nipponophile posted:

I, at least, am still browsing this thread and waiting to see if the story starts appealing to me again. The current endgame sounds about as boring and grindy as Star Trek Online, which at least is free to play.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

There hasn't been more than 3-5 people playing at any time for years now. There's more discussion in Discord than there is in the game.

Most Goons just want to log in and play their story stuff, not too many have the desire to do group activity. Which is fine, the game caters to that.

I stopped trying to organize anything when we'd plan a raid night and have 3 people show up. =/

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I'm on EU so until they merge everything into one lovely megaserver I'll be stuck here.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Eric Musco posted:

Alright folks, here are the updates as I mentioned yesterday!

Timing: We are in the final stages of testing and assuming that all goes well, we are going to bring transfers back online on Tuesday with Game Update 5.6.

Pricing: By popular request, we are going to bring transfers back at the pre-United Forces pricing (90 // 150CC) for a limited time. After that time they will go up to their new standard pricing of 1,000CC.

I will let you all know on Monday if we are still on track for transfers to go live again on Tuesday and the exact timing for the sale pricing.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Transfers coming back, gonna be cheap for a little bit longer. As much as I'm 100% positive I'm going to use all 4 of my Mercs, all 4 of my Operatives, and all 4 of my Sorcs, I might spread my seed over to Satele Shan while it's cheap.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Medullah posted:

There hasn't been more than 3-5 people playing at any time for years now.

i mean really just since KOTET came out

i think galactic command kind of turned a lot of people off (though it doesnt seem so bad anymore)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

i mean really just since KOTET came out

i think galactic command kind of turned a lot of people off (though it doesnt seem so bad anymore)

Nah I've been playing off and on since launch now, our guild hasn't had regular activities since Shadow of Revan.

And yeah, Galactic Command is pretty awesome now, when treated as a secondary system. People that grind it for hours are dumb, raiding is the way to get gear and if you MUST have gear doing solo stuff the 230 set pieces are more than enough

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
I came back a couple weeks ago and am having a good time, but Im super casual and just log in to shoot people with blasters or stab them with lightsabers.

galactic command seems fine, like medullah said as long as you dont go nuts trying to grind for it. still lots to do between all the classes stories, various achievements, pvp, galactic command etc.

It is pretty dead though, usually not more than 2 or 3 people on imp or republic side. Games still alive though, queues pop instant or near instant so its not bad at all

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I might spread my seed over to Satele Shan while it's cheap.

lol don't get your precious feelings hurt glancing at general chat now and then.

My new favorite PvP insult is to accuse people of being transfers from "that RP server," it really gets under people's skin.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

lol don't get your precious feelings hurt glancing at general chat now and then.

My new favorite PvP insult is to accuse people of being transfers from "that RP server," it really gets under people's skin.

General chat really is horrific. It's like launch all over again. :'). I'm avoiding it for the next few weeks anyway to avoid Last Jedi talk, but the few times I've looked since the merge has been hilarious.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

Medullah posted:

General chat really is horrific. It's like launch all over again. :'). I'm avoiding it for the next few weeks anyway to avoid Last Jedi talk, but the few times I've looked since the merge has been hilarious.

I must not hang out on fleet enough its been pretty sparce except for going to coruscant on my trooper alt to check in with garza.

Btw I have 70s in both imp and pub guilds if people are desperate for goonteraction Im usually willing to go ruin whatever youre trying to accomplish, look for Eversion in discord.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FYI collection unlocks are 50% off right now, and some are deeply discounted more, some down as low as 5 cartel coins. Voss Dignitary was a 5cc one.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s been Extremely Bad since the election. My favorite pvp insult that I got was “gently caress your legendary title”

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s been Extremely Bad since the election. My favorite pvp insult that I got was “gently caress your legendary title”

MMO general chat has always been Extremely Bad. It just blows my mind that people get so agitated by what some random rear end in a top hat is saying in general.

It’s like people going apeshit about having to take ten seconds to delete credit seller emails. Get some real problems.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MMO general chat has always been Extremely Bad. It just blows my mind that people get so agitated by what some random rear end in a top hat is saying in general.

It’s like people going apeshit about having to take ten seconds to delete credit seller emails. Get some real problems.

I can kind of understand it if you’re trying to let your kids play the cool Star Wars game, because the chat will absolutely destroy a young mind

Although I guess any online game is gonna do that

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I still liked the person who was shocked that my male Sith gimpsuit was allowed in the game as dozens of bikini-clad Jaesas and Lanas were paraded around us.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Medullah posted:

FYI collection unlocks are 50% off right now, and some are deeply discounted more, some down as low as 5 cartel coins. Voss Dignitary was a 5cc one.

Thanks for this. Finally got all my mounts unlocked. Forgot I even had the ambassador's hoverchair, can't remember which alt picked it up years ago but it looks great on my main.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

hey im not subscribed and never have been but im a preferred player. in the outfit designer for my new trooper character it has the HIDE HEAD option enabled by default and i cant turn it off. every other character ive made has had it turned off by default and unable to turn it on. any ideas how to fix this? trooper is like the one class I WANT the helmet on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kly posted:

hey im not subscribed and never have been but im a preferred player. in the outfit designer for my new trooper character it has the HIDE HEAD option enabled by default and i cant turn it off. every other character ive made has had it turned off by default and unable to turn it on. any ideas how to fix this? trooper is like the one class I WANT the helmet on.

There's a bug where that happens, I don't think there's a way around it other than maybe making a new outfit designer slot?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Non-Entity, if you're still around a) I miss you and b) some nice looking weapons in the new pack...

Edit - Repair Droid tuning...could be pretty neat for some looks.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Some nice looking stuff in that lot again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

For anyone who has lots of cartel coins they want to burn, every single hypercrate is currently available, with all but the newest ones 55% off. About the only way you're ever going to get reputation up with the old cartel ones.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

For anyone who has lots of cartel coins they want to burn, every single hypercrate is currently available, with all but the newest ones 55% off. About the only way you're ever going to get reputation up with the old cartel ones.

You've almost got me back. I played some of the space shooting (the easy stuff, with the rails) today, and if I can get used to the way you move, I could definitely get sucked back in. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

You've almost got me back. I played some of the space shooting (the easy stuff, with the rails) today, and if I can get used to the way you move, I could definitely get sucked back in. :ohdear:

Well you need to at least do 3 PvP matches or 3 PvE group finder activities before Tuesday, gotta get your companion!

I'll likely play a bit tonight if anyone still needs their group finder or PvP stuff, just let me know on Discord if you would like to group with at least one non-pubbie.