Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

LionArcher posted:

It needed one more rewrite but it’s not that bad. Sorry it’s just not.

drat you got us.

Wait no it's poo poo and so was everything Barbservice related hurrrrr we're a top secret government facility sure Nancy just record all of our conversations on a VHS-sized recorder in your tote bag it's not like we'll search you beforehand or anything yeah also burn the place guarding the monster-spewing portal to the ground Nancy that'll get you some sweet justice on these new people who weren't connected to what happened and you'll let Barb's parents know she was killed by a chemical leak like what the gently caress is even going on here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Junkfist posted:

They're signalling to high-heaven that Billy's a repressed homosexual and if that's the stunning reveal in season 3 I'm going to roll my eyes directly into my rear end in a top hat.

Or really loves Top Gun

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Hence the rewrite. Her character growth stuff was worth a journey for an episode. Execution was off, not concept.

You're agreeing that the episode was poorly done. That's what everyone is saying. No one is arguing that El doesn't deserve character growth.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

bobkatt013 posted:

Or really loves Top Gun

We'll have to check a Venn diagram but we're probably both on the mark.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Episode 7: Ele Joins the Tunnel Snakes

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Ele-ven kick your rear end!
Ele-ven kick your face!
Ele-ven kick your balls into Ou-ter Space!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Junkfist posted:

drat you got us.

Wait no it's poo poo and so was everything Barbservice related hurrrrr we're a top secret government facility sure Nancy just record all of our conversations on a VHS-sized recorder in your tote bag it's not like we'll search you beforehand or anything yeah also burn the place guarding the monster-spewing portal to the ground Nancy that'll get you some sweet justice on these new people who weren't connected to what happened and you'll let Barb's parents know she was killed by a chemical leak like what the gently caress is even going on here?

You’re second point is the one I agree with hardcore. That was the weakest part of the season to me.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Last ten minutes of the last episode spoiler: Dustin trying not to cry is so freaking pitiful :(

Edit:
And yeah, I completely skipped episode 7 and didn't miss a thing, there was like 10 seconds related to that episode in the climax I guess but it was irrelevant.

Oh yeah and the season intro scene. I completely forgot that because it didn't relate to anything till the back end

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 28, 2017

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Jesus, I don't even know if I can finish this.

What the gently caress. It was great up till the Aliens rip off then it was plllllpppptptpppphffthhh

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

As Nero Danced posted:

Last ten minutes of the last episode spoiler: Dustin trying not to cry is so freaking pitiful :(

He came loaded to neg but in an ironic twist was reverse-negged by a Female now see that's the creative writing I expect from the Duffers.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

What is everyone considering the definitive Aliens point

Cuz PAUL reiser is there since day 1

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

For the Barb subplot why not just go to the shadowy government agency and ask them to help make another fake corpse and give her a fake death to give the dang parents some closure?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

What is everyone considering the definitive Aliens point

Cuz PAUL reiser is there since day 1

When the radioman says Stay frosty

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
What is Will's current status?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Scholtz posted:

For the Barb subplot why not just go to the shadowy government agency and ask them to help make another fake corpse and give her a fake death to give the dang parents some closure?

Because this is the government truthers believe is real actually made real. They are both omniscient and all powerfull while somehow grossly incompetent

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

pr0p posted:

What is Will's current status?

It's complicated

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I haven't started S2, but my memory is like swiss cheese, so can somebody remind me about season 1: do pretty much all of the major characters know that verifiable weird supernatural poo poo is happening?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Last ep: I was totally expecting Dustin to say "It slimed me" when that thing spit at him

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

I haven't started S2, but my memory is like swiss cheese, so can somebody remind me about season 1: do pretty much all of the major characters know that verifiable weird supernatural poo poo is happening?

Yes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lester Shy posted:

Netflix gave me a couple minute recap when I started S2, which honestly helped a bit, since all I really remembered was chocolate pudding and Steve's glorious hair.

Unrelated to any plot stuff, were Dustin and Lucas's families ever shown/brought up in S1?

E: ep 9, for some reason Steve ruffling Dustin's hat after stuffing the demo-dog in the fridge made me :allears:

Also: I might be a lovely boyfriend, but I found out I'm a great baby-sitter'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 28, 2017

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Netflix gave me a couple minute recap when I started S2, which honestly helped a bit, since all I really remembered was chocolate pudding and Steve's glorious hair.

Unrelated to any plot stuff, were Dustin and Lucas's families ever shown/brought up in S1?

I remember seeing Lucas' parents at "Will's" funeral in Season 1. Not sure about Dustin's mother.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I demand Justice For Bob

Mikes Dad is the world biggest tool bag and him saluting in Episode 1 was just absolutely perfect.

Also Every Breath You Take is a decidedly not romantic song but well, the very last scene makes it work I think.

All in all 8/10 would binge again.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mooktastical posted:

Did anyone else get a 'Heroes' vibe from E7?

I absolutely thought this as I was watching the episode, especially with the train-ing scene.

Great season. Every character ruled.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Made it through. That was really, really hard after that 7th episode. Just going to write it off like I did season 5 of Breaking Bad. It doesn't exist.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Alan Smithee posted:

So uh diamond joe was racist right.

you keep making this reference and i just don't understand it

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The more I think about the season, the more it feels like season 2 of Twin Peaks to me. Some wonderful bits mixed in with some godawful bits, but on the whole a significantly less focused step down from what came before, salvaged almost entirely by the strength of the cast and the appeal of the core premise.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
It seems that bob will not be forgotten as he has a picture on the fridge

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Charlie Heaton (who plays Jonathan) got caught at coming into LA by plane with cocaine and deported back to the UK. Whoops.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Charlie Heaton (who plays Jonathan) got caught at coming into LA by plane with cocaine and deported back to the UK. Whoops.

He's just character acting that 80's poo poo.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Hmm, disappointing isn't the word. Unsatisfying?

I don't think I've been as unsatisfied with season 2 of a show since The Wire.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I loved it, but I felt first half was way stronger than second half.

It went from Night of the Living Dead to Tremors to Aliens to the Exorcist, it was a bit jumpy in tone.

Overall, worst ever season of Stranger Things I would say.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

It's definitely a show with a hard act to follow. The newness is hard to bring back hence the hatred for e7. More of the shame or familiar references and we demand something fresh. Season 3 is gonna be a tough one

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Former Human posted:

Hmm, disappointing isn't the word. Unsatisfying?

I don't think I've been as unsatisfied with season 2 of a show since The Wire.

Season 2 owned and was better than the season that preceded it lol. This isn't the case with this show but it's still pretty good.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Joking with my friend that is waiting to watch it, I'm not even sure what I could really spoil. What has changed?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

pr0p posted:

Joking with my friend that is waiting to watch it, I'm not even sure what I could really spoil. What has changed?

it's Heroes now

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think the only point I have to make that hasn't already been voiced in the thread: It was nice to see the CIA be good people doing bad stuff, and reasonably incompetent/not-competent. (Mediocre competence?) Rather than well paid evil henchman. They felt like real spooks.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 28, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Does anyone else feel like they really overrelied on the cheap Reagan/Bush yard sign jumpscares this season?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

To me the biggest twist was Reiser looking like he's a good guy, and he actually is!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Well I have thoughts. This might be rambling since it's 6AM and I just watched 9 hours of a show.

Season 2 feels like a sophomore slump. It's fine but not on the same level as Season 1. It rehashes a ton from Season 1, and only introduces a few new ideas, and those ideas aren't particularly successful. The characters suffer from the usual Season 2 convenient amnesia, where the characters are all back to normal and don't listen to the warnings from one another, even after everything they went through a year ago. "This is all happening again? Don't be silly."

Season 1 took its time to establish the setting and characters. Season 2 feels in a rush, especially the first couple of episodes. The editing and pacing are off rhythm. New characters show up without much to sink your teeth into.

In Season 1, the driving force for the story and character motivations was two things: the absence of Will and the presence of El. Millie Bobby Brown did an amazing job in Season 1. She did a lot with so little dialogue, mostly using body language and facial expressions. In Season 2, El is stuck in a cabin for half the season and barely does anything, but suddenly goes on a stupid field trip to Chicago? It's a wasted opportunity and wasted talent to leave her on the back burner so much. The most attention she gets is in episode 7, which is godawful.

Many of the character traits and significance of El from Season 1 are now split between Will and Max, but those characters aren't as interesting and the actors aren't remotely as talented as Millie.

I recall that each episode in Season 1 had something really memorable, dramatic and/or suspenseful happen, like El saving the boys from the bullies, individual set pieces like El listening in on the Soviets, the rock quarry, the introduction of the isolation tank, Joyce rigging the Christmas lights, etc. Season 2 feels like it is often treading water, trying to find the plot, recycling many of the same ideas from Season 1, such as another big buildup at the end with a guerilla-style battle or Joyce taping Will's drawings all over the house this time instead of Christmas lights. We've seen this before but it was better the first time. Season 1 I kept watching because each episode ended with a great hook or cliffhanger and I honestly couldn't wait to see what happened next. I just finished watching Season 2 and I don't remember any scenes where I sat on the edge of my seat like Season 1.

Paul Reiser is a good actor but has little gravitas here. He was hired as an homage to Aliens, much like Dustin's cat resembling Jones the cat. Reiser is less interesting than Matthew Modine's character, because Reiser's motivations are ambiguous in comparison. Matthew Modine was single-minded and amoral. Reiser could be good, bad, or just a guy doing his job. We really don't get an impression of who or what he is until the very end. He felt underwritten. Sean Astin I didn't care much about except for the one scene where he explains that Will's drawings can be used as a map. That was neat. He's a pleasant, well-meaning guy in over his head. Then he unlocks some doors and gets eaten.

I thought the slow revelations about the conspiracy, the lab, and Matthew Modine in Season 1 were much more compelling than some tunnels in a pumpkin farm and little demodogs everywhere. The entire town is now being threatend but that's how they decided to tell that story? It could have been much deeper than another quest into the lab to kill a demogorgon or close a gate. The storytelling seems to jump all over. It's much less focused than Season 1. It didn't hook me in like Season 1 did.

I binge watched Season 2 (obviously) but by episode 5 I was kind of bored and started doing my workout while the show was on in the background. That's partly a symptom of binge watching any show, but it's also not a good sign. By episode 7 I was wondering what the hell show I was watching, and I only committed to finishing the season in one night because I had made it that far and there were only two episodes to go.

Some of the characterization in Season 2 feels forced or contrived. The party is initially intrigued by Max and wants her to be their friend/girlfriend because she's a girl gamer who is good at Dig Dug. Ok.

Season 2 has too many goofy characters like the conspiracy theory journalist and the Chicago punks. Episode 7 features rejects from an X-Men or Suicide Squad show. Thankfully it's only for one episode. The other psychic kid, and Matthew Modine's cameo, are probably a set up for season 3. If the next season is about Heroes wannabes there's no chance I could watch that. One episode was plenty.

The show is supposed to be about regular people in an average town who are exposed to a conspiracy but pull together and rise to the occasion against all odds. I think Season 1 was so successful and gratifying because of the bonds that form between the characters, much more so than special effects or music or even nostalgia factor. The characters care about each other and so the viewer cares about them. In Season 2, groups of characters largely spend time away from each other, working at cross purposes. Often they barely get along or communicate. The new characters are either flat or get killed off. Also Season 1 maintained some plausibility, while Season 2 goes off the rails more than once.

Season 2 did have a better method of wrapping up the story and characters than Season 1 though, especially for El. The last scene at the Snow Ball is pretty rewarding. El gets to go out in public, dress like a normal pretty girl, have a romantic night, and be happy. No magically exploding and disappearing this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Former Human posted:

Season 2 feels like a sophomore slump. It's fine but not on the same level as Season 1. It rehashes a ton from Season 1, and only introduces a few new ideas, and those ideas aren't particularly successful. The characters suffer from the usual Season 2 convenient amnesia, where the characters are all back to normal and don't listen to the warnings from one another, even after everything they went through a year ago. "This is all happening again? Don't be silly."

So I'm only halfway through but I don't think this is accurate? In fact I'm extremely fond of how much this isn't happening.

e: actually wait nevermind I forgot Will not wanting to tell Lucas and Dustin about the shadow monster but even when they do get told about that it doesn't really change anything in the plot.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 28, 2017

• Locked thread