Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Just finished season 2, liked it a lot, had been told that it wasn't as good as season 1 because the slow discovery of abnormal poo poo can't happen for the same characters again - but I don't really see that as a criticism because... well you just can't put that cat back in the bag. Could have dealt with the new season being about entirely new characters/a situation, but I'm glad to see the old ones as the interactions between them and with respect to the fantastical poo poo they deal with was always more interesting than the fantasy stuff itself.

I wonder if they go with the same threat for season 3? Is the government going to play a more involved role with the characters? Too bad it's going to take another year to find out lol

Away all Goats posted:

I think they just kinda forgot about it, like the first demigorgon having telekinesis.

it's possible the others would get this if the molt a few more times, they didn't look fully grown in ep. 9 even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Billy and Max felt somewhat tacked on after the first couple episodes, and in a show where the characters have shown so much complexity and depth (and avoiding stereotypes very well, looking at you Steve), his presence was very one dimensional and jarring. Not that I didn't enjoy his scenes but I kept thinking "where's he gonna turn into someone else/we going to learn more about him?". Closest the show comes is him getting smacked around and yelled at by his dad; but that doesn't add much explanation for how he acts.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

pretty sure that was Chicago?

I thought it was unnecessary, but I'm sure we'll see some of it explained in S3

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I feel like Dustin isn't the kind of kid to forget about that or let them bury it, but then again what's he gonna do about it

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh god here comes Justice for Barb 2.0

which was good

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Junkfist posted:

It was worse than episode 7.

I wish Barb could come back from the dead so she could be shot for it.

weird imo

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

imagine being angry about improbable events in a fantasy horror show lol

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I wonder how Eleven's character is going to progress going forward; I somehow doubt she's gonna be at school with the other kids. Maybe some kind of wilderness survival training with Hopper?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

watched s2 e7 again and yikes, 8's acting is... bad. Felt like I was being read to in monotone.

The characters are 1-dimensional, but I don't mind them, or the plot - but her acting is baaad

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

I hope Will gets to be Not It next season and can just be a regular party member.

:yossame:

e: does Will have the ability to go into the Upside Down now? Or was that involuntary?

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 12, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

OB_Juan posted:

This would work really well, I think. Or Hopper gets disappeared.

:yeah:

they've sort of done this in minor ways, but removing the ultra-capable police chief definitely ups the tension and stakes for everyone else. (ie: him not believing Joyce in season one, leaving with 11 when the audience knows Billy is heading to the Byer's house in season 2)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Junkfist posted:

It was a bad idea but this is fine because he's actually not ultra-capable and is a mess of a person who makes many bad decisions.

unless I'm remembering incorrectly, that's the only time he requires someone else to get him out of a jam; and yeah, emotionally he's a broken person, but aside from 11 he's the first person I'd want to be there in a struggle, and always having him there, rifle (or whatever) in hand lessens the tension for the audience, quibble though you might about his ability.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

yup, he makes dumb decisions based on his mistrust of others, and desire to handle things himself. Still kicking though, and with more success than not.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

By the end of the season, I took Billy’s apparent racism as him protecting Max from his dad’s racism. Like he’d hit her if she brought a black kid to the house so Billy is being the dickhead so she doesn’t get abused.

that's ludicrous, you have no reason to suspect that

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

who cares what the actors think of the characters they play

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

season 2 was fun, you guys are boring

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

it was a fun season, unless you are a joyless pedant

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Dragonstoned posted:

I must be the only person who enjoyed that episode, granted the punks are a bit of a cliche but never once did I think it was as terrible as everyone is making it out to be. I'm wondering if Kali will show up again later, as her powers are about messing with people's minds and they call the big bad monster "the mind flayer"

I guess it's a reminder why I tend to stay away from TVIV because it's essentially just "Oh you like that thing? Well here's a bunch of reasons why you're wrong and it's actually poo poo"

I'd expect her to come looking for 11, perhaps in an antagonist role.

I thought ep 7 was okay, but mostly because I wanted to see more of 11, that said - Kali/8's actor was... bad.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Onomarchus posted:

You mean when Will gave the lab people the bad info that got the squad sent to the ambush point? I figured that was Will being tricked by the Mind Flayer instead of being used directly as a puppet for speaking. It reminds me of DS9 when Odo was in the Great Link and got conned into believing something by the other Founders pretending to try and fail to hide the information.

At any rate, Will/"Evil Will" doesn't kill anyone under his own power.

seems like he knows exactly what's going to happen shortly before it does (given his apology)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

One thing that I appreciated a lot in the moment and forgot about subsequently is that Will's family is depicted as financially struggling fairly realistically with Joyce having to work all the time (and Jonathan helping out with the family's finances) at least in S1. I really dislike shows that allow their characters to do whatever they want, completely divorced from how much their actions cost them in a monetary sense, and I feel like the 80's is the last time there were a slew of movies that actually tried to make poverty (or at least working class people's ability to afford things) a visible part of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

:laffo:

• Locked thread