Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Does anyone else feel like they really overrelied on the cheap Reagan/Bush yard sign jumpscares this season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I finished Season 2 last night, and I felt like it was much weaker than the first. It seemed like the entire front half was just spinning its wheels trying to establish the new characters with a story that ultimately ended up being almost a beat-for-beat retelling of the first season. Something's wrong with Will, Joyce freaks out, Hopper goes to investigate spoopy stuff in the woods, the kids come up with a plan from their D&D rulebook, the teens beat each other up and make out in various combinations, and Eleven solves everything. Stop me if you've heard this one before.

The parts that I thought worked best were with pairings we didn't get to see in Season One. Hopper and Eleven's dynamic was really good and I wish they didn't abandon it halfway through the season. Trying to raise an adoptive daughter with telekinetic powers who is also going through puberty is a great concept and I wish they would have stuck with it. Steve's scenes with Dustin and the other kids were really entertaining and helped to round out his character. Nancy and Jonathan I really could not care less about. I also had no idea what Max and Billy were really doing in the script, it seems like they didn't serve any necessary function in moving the plot forward at all. I thought Billy should have at least tried to make out with Steve or something interesting like that, everyone knows he wanted to. I didn't even hate the Lost Sister episode the way other people do because it at least temporarily escaped plot vortex the rest of Season Two was stuck in. It should have just happened much sooner and for more than one episode, if they were going that route.

Anyway in summary I give it a 6/10 overall, please let's get out of Indiana for the next season, I ship Billy and Steve.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

At Thanksgiving I met the person with the worst ST opinion ever. A few of us were gabbing about Steve being the best part of S2, and she got adamant he was toxic and indefensible because of how he treated Nancy and Jonathan.

She refused to accept his redemption arc at the end of S1 and his subsequent adventures in babysitting in S2, because one of his goon friend spray painted 'Nancy's a slut' in S1. We asked if she had watched to the end of S1.

I actually like that Nancy's most defining character trait is that she's just horny and likes to gently caress.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I liked that Joyce bought Will an Atari 2600 for Christmas in 1983, at which point the home console market was already crashing and Joyce probably could have better afforded it. They should have ended Season 2 with Reagan's re-election if they really wanted to leave it on a scary note though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

So Sesame Street did a Stranger Things 2 parody and it's equal parts adorable and hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npcqBt_e4k0

They should have hired Sesame Street's writers for S2.

• Locked thread