Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just finished 4 and they are killing it. Stoked on basically everything. Bed now, and then work till early afternoon and then it’s binging the final 5. Stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

E7 is turbo garbage and a complete failure of storytelling.

Skip it. Do not watch.

It needed one more rewrite but it’s not that bad. Sorry it’s just not.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Nah it was real bad and felt like corny super hero poo poo instead of all the other charming Stranger Things stuff going on. Punk version of El is cool, but no need to waste an episode on it.

Hence the rewrite. Her character growth stuff was worth a journey for an episode. Execution was off, not concept.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Junkfist posted:

drat you got us.

Wait no it's poo poo and so was everything Barbservice related hurrrrr we're a top secret government facility sure Nancy just record all of our conversations on a VHS-sized recorder in your tote bag it's not like we'll search you beforehand or anything yeah also burn the place guarding the monster-spewing portal to the ground Nancy that'll get you some sweet justice on these new people who weren't connected to what happened and you'll let Barb's parents know she was killed by a chemical leak like what the gently caress is even going on here?

You’re second point is the one I agree with hardcore. That was the weakest part of the season to me.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

I haven't started S2, but my memory is like swiss cheese, so can somebody remind me about season 1: do pretty much all of the major characters know that verifiable weird supernatural poo poo is happening?

Yes.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Elentor posted:

I loved this season. I think I liked as much as S1. I even liked ep 7.

Honestly in the same boat. A lot of lovely hot takes In this thread from grumps but emotionally the season really stuck with me in a great way. Looking forward to a rewatch shortly.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Spergatory posted:

The more people freak out about episode 7 and treat it as some abomination unto God instead of just a slightly weird detour, the more I like it retroactively. :v:

Agreed. There’s a lot of people in this thread suggesting fixes that would,be far worse than what they actually did. :eng101:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Zero One posted:

I loved it, just as much as season 2.

No one should skip ep7 because even though it gets off track I feel it has some important character moments for El. Throughout season 2 she is told she's "home" now. Hop tells her the shack is "home". Her aunt says her house is her "home" and Eight says their warehouse is her "home" now too. El spends the season trying to find out who she is, who is her family, and where is her home and it comes to a conclusion in Ep. 7 when she realizes that she had been home the whole time and that Hop, Mike, and all the others were her family and that they needed her just as much as she needed them. I thought that part worked well (basically the end of the episode with her flashbacks) but I do agree it probably could have been cut down and the best parts inserted into ep 6.

Plus it gave El a bitchin' new look.

Some other thoughts:

I loved the new pairings for the established characters. Mike and Will. Lucas and Dustin. Dustin and Steve. Hop and El had especially very good scenes together.

I think they handled El right by getting her out of the Upside Down right away. 1) She is a "flea" and of course she wouldn't be stuck here for very long. 2) Having her become this season's Will and her story be the same as his in season 1 wouldn't be fun. Instead we get that of course she got out and of course Hop got reports about a girl and managed the track her down and help her. Everything about their relationship was good.

Bob, Dr. Paul Reiser, and Max were also very good additions.

A lot of people mentioned Aliens for influences on this season. I also got some Jurassic Park. At the bus with Steve was a "clever girl" scene (almost, thank god) and of course the basement power restart was a direct homage.

The Halloween and Snowball kid photos was hilarious. Speaking of the Snowball... it was getting really misty in here you guys. Finally Mike kept his promise and El gets to be a kid again (even if its only one night).

Badass moments: Almost any time El used her powers. It wasn't overdone and even when she did it casually (like when cleaning the cabin) it was cool/funny. El's new look. The kids in the tunnels. Dustin's new hair. Steve keeping the bat AND doing the sweet flip with it again at the bus. Max almost crushing her step-bro's balls with the bat. Her driving like her namesake and Steve freaking out. Nancy with the rifle and Lucas with the slingshot ready to take on the Dogs with the adults. The design of the Mind Flayer was really cool and creepy.

Unanswered questions:

Will there be some long term impact from Hop and Dustin getting sprayed by that thing the tunnels? Or was it just a scare to slow Hop / the group down to increase the tension?

What will become of the Demi-dog in the fridge?

Will she go by Jane now or keep El?

Will there be #JusticeforMr.Mews ?

This poster gets it. Great season.:getin:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Stokes posted:

I have no doubt the studio fought with KFC for months over this, but KFC won out because money.
There is no way this wasn’t at least three days and a lot of tense meetings. I’m not joking.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Fragmented posted:

I'm going to watch episode 7 TWICE today just to spite you fuckers.

Yeah I’m going over to a friends who’s binge watching it today and I’m only showing up for episodes 5 through 9.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Brother Friendship posted:

Meh.

Wasn't the entire point of Elle sacrificing herself at the end of season 1 to close the portal she created by touching the demagorgan? Like going by the ending of S1 the link to the Upside Down exists because Will is still connected to it and I thought that the Hawkin's portal closed behind Hooper and Winona Ryder (I actually thought they were all going to die in the Upside Down, which I would have preferred). From a narrative stand point what was the point of focusing on Elle touching the creature as both the opener and closer for the mystery? And those demidogs (god that was forced) were either completely invulnerable or they just got one shotted whereas the Demigorgan had ridiculous resistance to damage but was also shown to be vulnerable. They hosed up on that balancing act by giving the red shirt soldiers the same treatment from the dogs as from the demagorgan while allowing Hoop to one shot them.

Basically they made it clear that the demigorgan could be wounded and presumably killed when they ambushed it at the house but from the story it was clear that the issue was that Elle ripped open a portal between our worlds by touching the creature in its own dimension. So from a narrative stand point the ending to season 1 worked perfectly because Elle -had- to touch the creature to close the Upside Down's link to our world even if she could have killed the creature with her powers. And she is literally back in our world within 3 minutes of that incredible scene at the end of S1. What the gently caress? It completely destroyed the meaning of her sacrifice.

Annnnd one last thing....I thought Hoop leaving food for Elle in that box was going to be used as her only source of nourishment as she was trapped in the Upside Down. I mean, he puts the food into the box then stares up into the sky and has this really interesting look on his face that implied he was doing it as an act of faith. I was let down when they had Elle literally just watching him and taking the food right after her left.

Meh...they hosed themselves by not giving themselves enough time to do the story right. It was enjoyable and the cast is great but...yea, shows like this require a two year break to give enough time to write a proper story.

Or you’re just bad at watching it? Because they make it clear enough if you watched season recently.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Thursday Next posted:

I’ve got a better scene for the Hollywood grassfuckers who think all ~females~ can’t be friends or do anything but talk about the Hero.

Max, in awe, sticks a tremblimg hand out to El: It’s nice to finally meet you. I- I’ve heard so...
El, bypassing the proffered hand and wrapping Max in a hug: Thank you. Thank you for helping my friends.
Mike, wrapping them both in a hug: OUR friends. Our friends. We will never be apart again.
Everyone else, joining the hug: yay we are now sharing a moment that is peaceful and good, the well-deserved calm before the ultimate climax storm. Friendship rules!

original ending do not steal

That would be terrible given the characters where they currently are

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Brother Friendship posted:

There was plenty of blood coming off the dogs during the climax and, to me, that indicated that they were getting mowed down. They also only took a handful of hits to get downed. I was more annoyed that there was a plot based on/off switch for how killable the demodogs were...there were plenty of guards armed with rifles in the lab (did they seriously send every single rifle (all 6) into that obvious trap?) and, more than that, why did Reiser survive a mauling without any indication of how he got away from the dog?)

Because at that point they were hunting for other characters. Who knows how long he hid first.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Krabboss posted:

The problem with the kids is they don't seem affected by the events of the first season. Even Will Byers seems barely affected by the whole saga when he's not having an upside down episode. He's cagey about sharing things with his mother and friends when it doesn't make sense for him to be. Dustin keeps a tiny demogorgon as a pet when he should be terrified of it. I'm too lazy to think about other examples but they don't seem to give a poo poo and instead have barely motivated tantrums about Max every episode.

You were also too lazy to watch because the kids are completely effected by the first season and they spent a great deal of time showing it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Krabboss posted:

Uh, Mike somewhat vocalises that he misses Eleven a couple times. Dustin and Lucas don't give a poo poo except for saying like "oh we could be killed for knowing this stuff lol, whatever." Will is eager to get away from his mother and older brother, even though he's puked up weird slugs and is having frequent mental excursions to the upside down.

They really aren't very affected by fighting a weird monster from an alternate dimension and coming close to death.

First, Lucas and Dustin were arguably the least effected by last years events, so them being the most “okay” makes total sense. Second, they’re kids and really do think they’ll live through anything. They get scared when poo poo goes bad again, or when the real threat (Lucas is legit scared when Max doesn’t believe him) and it’s there. They are coping the best. Somebody else mentioned how badly Mike handles it, and the adults and Will are clearly effected.

As for the other poster losing it about 11 and Max, they’ve already been piled on enough I feel, but I’m bringing them up again for a reason. I’m all for deep diving about a show, but if you’re going to complain at least have the material back it up.

If anything, the shows better because it takes so much time setting up the characters and letting them breathe. They don’t do a lot of extraneous exposition (and every time a character fills in someone new they cut away.) the show is valuing the audiences intelligence, which is refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

i am the bird posted:

Sure but like none of this poo poo is narratively earned. I’m not saying it’s unbelievable. I’d just like to see an earlier scene or two that makes later scenes have a good payoff — y’know, better storytelling. It’s still a really good show but sometimes they take shortcuts and it’s frustrating.

edit:
One of the running themes of season 2 is that of separation, and how people aren’t always there when you need them. It would’ve been nice to see a scene with the party reunited (along with El and Max) but instead it ends with everyone separated again. There’s a way to make that play as well but it’s not by lazily writing Will out of the scene (why is he no longer a pariah?) and making Dustin’s problems about other unnamed girls (as opposed to the actual dilemma of Max/Lucas).

Sorry, no. It’s completely earned. It’s not terrible writing, you’re just terrible at watching this show.

• Locked thread