Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Episode is finger lickin' good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

On episode three and the only bad thing I have to say so far is that there's a noticeable increase in commercial music, almost too much, but that could just be because of the circumstances of these first two episodes. Basically the original soundtrack owns dammit play it more.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I'm annoyed they did the sitcom thing of (episode 3 spoilers) person sees crush interacting with another person and immediately takes it in the worst possible way but the ending of the episode was some crazy poo poo.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Man, I just finished episode 7 and it is total garbage. I would honestly recommend skipping it as it self-contained and entirely irrelevant to the story of this season.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Finshed the season. With the notable exception of Episode 7 (which basically feels like it belongs in a different season because it is so out of place), it was fantastic. Very few complaints, mostly about petty stuff*, so I'm satisfied. The characters continue to be excellent, and I ended up liking all the new characters (although I do wish [episode 9] Steve had kicked the poo poo out of Billy, just once). The last 10 minutes or so of episode 9 were pure joy and felt like a huge payoff for the characters we've grown to love over two seasons.

If there was one complaint to be leveled at the season (other than episode 7 being poo poo, which is kinda related to my point here), it was that Eleven escaping the upside down felt too easy, and consequently it felt like the writers didn't really know what to do with her most of the season. I loved her storyline with Hopper but it did feel like they had to write her out of the plot in order to give the other characters something to do.

*like (episode 8 spoilers) wouldn't a more apt analogy for the shadow monster be the elder brain, not a mind flayer?

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at Oct 27, 2017 around 20:47

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Slight quibble about the ending scene

Every Breath You Take is not a song that should be played for romantic effect.

Seems to be that they were intentionally playing with the dissonance of the lyrics in the song by cutting to the shadow monster looming over the school in the upside down

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

God I hope not.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

Netflix gave me a couple minute recap when I started S2, which honestly helped a bit, since all I really remembered was chocolate pudding and Steve's glorious hair.

Unrelated to any plot stuff, were Dustin and Lucas's families ever shown/brought up in S1?

I remember seeing Lucas' parents at "Will's" funeral in Season 1. Not sure about Dustin's mother.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Steve will gently caress Nancy's mum before Billy can.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I'm actually kind of over the Upside Down and would prefer if we didn't go back there for a while. It's become too familiar and it's not nearly as unsettling anymore. At this point, nearly every major character from Season 1 has been there* (or a been to a version of it, like the tunnels) and not only survived but come out none the worse for wear. As much as I hate to say it, if they're going to make the next season about the other test subjects like Eight (with the focus being on the supernatural that exists in the normal world), that could work if it means giving the shadow monster the time to corrupt and transform the Upside Down into something more terrifying again.

* off the top of my head, I think only Jonathan has never been there. Everyone else has been to the Upside Down or been in the tunnels.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Lord Krangdar posted:

The tunnels were just tunnels, though, with tentacle-vines and a couple of Half-Life barnacles. The upside-down in season one was, and still is, a pretty mysterious and surreal place.

Really? They seem indistinguishable. Same blue filter, same "toxic" atmosphere, monsters, slime, organic/living surroundings, and other gross poo poo. The fact that the camera spins 180 degrees when Hopper first enters the tunnels makes me think the tunnels are an extension of the Upside Down that have invaded the liminal space beneath Hawkins through the gate.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Brother Friendship posted:

great cast and plenty of fun scenes but...

Why bring Elle back immediately so she can stay in a cabin all season until the plot allows her to meet up with everyone else? Why not keep her in the upside down so she can have perspective of the mind flayer to better establish it as a threat? It was a very weak villain with minimal payoff

Agreed. On reflection, I wonder if the season would have been better if Eleven was trapped in the Upside Down at the beginning of the season/between seasons, having expended too much power killing the Demogorgon. Then, instead of Will, it is Eleven who is targeted by the shadow monster because she has the potential to tear open the gate so that it can manifest in the real world. It gives her the power to escape the Upside Down but imprints itself on her in the process. Over the course of the season, she is possessed (perhaps as a result of the negative emotions of being isolated by Hopper) and the other characters have to figure out what is wrong with her and how to save her before she tears open the gate.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think the Demogorgon was anything more than a wild animal and it inseminating Will (I know, ew) was just the alien way it reproduces. When looking at its behavior throughout the season as a whole, it didn't seem to be anything more than a mindless predator: it ate whatever it could get its hands on (whether it be deer or Barb or whatever it was eating in the Void), was drawn by blood like a shark, blundered into traps, and Will managed to evade it for like an entire week in the Upside Down.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Should have been obvious as soon as we hear him blasting Ted Nugent.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I just realized, if the (season spoilers) demodogs are supposed to be the same creatures as the demogorgons, how on earth did Dr. Reiser survive with that leg wound. Barb, Nancy, and Jonathan slicing their palms was enough to draw the demogorgon's attention right to their location. Dr. Reiser's leg wound should have brought every demodog in the building down on him.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

But I don't want a child orgy at the end of season 3

The correct term is to run a train.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I can only hope that the intense critical backlash to episode 7 causes the Duff Bros to rethink their plan going forward for 8 and the other test subjects. Or, at least, put more creative thought into it like the kind we saw in Season 1.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Count me as one of the people who hopes Steve's poor educational prospects and knack for saving the day leads him to stick around and join the Hawkins Police.

Just so I can see scene where Hopper catches Steve hammering nails into a truncheon.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I think we need to go over the Barb plot again.

Was Barb racist?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Waffleopolis posted:

Soo....what are the chances season 3's monster has some correlation to a beholder?

Look out guys, it's a flumph!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

zeal posted:

tbh i think an aboleth would be a better metaphor for the shadow monster than a mind flayer

Yeah, the only mind flayer in the show is Eleven.

• Locked thread