Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

If only they had fourth wall awareness...

In season four, Eleven's gonna rip a hole in the fourth wall, and team up with Agent Cooper, Scully, Mulder and the folks from Fringe to take down all TV aliens at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Karmine posted:

Needs more Goku imo

Obviously, Eleven is gonna take on Superman and Son Goku in season five, only to realise that not all aliens are bad.

quote:

Anyway, I just finished season 2 and I don't understand any of the episode 7 controversy? I kinda get how people might be a little bummed that we spent an entire episode away from Hawkins, and oh my God Kali's friends are corny as all hell, but I actually thought it was one of the more entertaining episodes of the season. I don't know what (if any) consensus the thread has come to, but if nothing else, it gave Eleven a reason to go back and save the day, and we got to see some excellent acting and colossal character development.

I think people who binged it really hated it. Personally, I thought Kali had an interesting super power. The episode wasn't all that inventive, but I think the punks have potential if they end up being Eleven's version of the Space Marines from Aliens. Either way, it's funny that the one with the beautiful butterfly power ends up gunning down people in their homes. Eleven is such a softie.

Some random speculation: I bet they're gonna need Kali's mind control powers to take out the Mind Flayer.

JawKnee posted:

I wonder how Eleven's character is going to progress going forward; I somehow doubt she's gonna be at school with the other kids. Maybe some kind of wilderness survival training with Hopper?

If this is all leading up to a Rambo homage, I'm all for it.

And More fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 12, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Penpal posted:

Also, why a Rambo homage? Stranger Things is about horror, spooky synths, and John Carpenter and Stephen King vibes. That's another reason why episode 7 didn't jibe without me, because it wasn't Stranger Things. It reminded me of Kung Fury

While those are also the parts I enjoy the most about Stranger Things, the show has definitely tried to dabble in more actiony, corny stuff. Lucas has his Rambo bandana and the entire second season cribs so much from Aliens and Ghostbusters. Let's also not forget that Stephen King wrote The Running Man and John Carpenter made both Escape from New York and Big Trouble in Little China.

The whole gang thing reminded me a bit of The Warriors, though I associate the masked robbery aspect of it more with Point Break (which would be 90s). What other memorable 80s gang/heist flicks are there?

Either way, seems a bit hyperbolic to compare a bunch of quirky teen criminals to Thor riding a dinosaur while murdering nazis in the past/future.

edit: Oh yeah, D'art kind of reminds me of Trumpy from The Pod People of all things.

And More fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 12, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Davros1 posted:

What if the Ep 7 storyline had been revealed as a flashback? As if, after escaping the Upside Down, and finding that agents at Mike's house, Eleven had ended up being drawn to Eight. The city stuff could have had a longer time frame (6 months), and still have El back in town for the rest of the year to live in the cabin

Spreading it out would have made it more palatable, I think. However, the style of the city segment is really different from the rest of the show. Just switching from one to the other wouldn't really work, visually.

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

I hope Will gets to be Not It next season and can just be a regular party member.

It really seems like that angle has been fully explored now. They're gonna have to find new roles for Joyce and Will, I think. Maybe they're actually latently psychic like someone suggested earlier. Then they could become part of Eleven's Dream Warriors or something.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Are we watching the same show? Mr. Oh look I just dug a big hole in the ground and when I jabbed into it with a shovel the ground made shrieking noises, why would I bother getting backup before jumping down it and exploring?

Who exactly would Hopper call for backup? Deputies Useless and Incompetent? The government goons? Maybe Eleven?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Literally anybody, yes.

He doesn't want to tell the deputies because then they're involved in the conspiracy. He doesn't trust the government, and he doesn't want Eleven to leave the cabin. I'm not saying it's ideal, but there are very obvious reasons why Hopper constantly goes off on his own.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Junkfist posted:

Yes, he's moderately-capable.

I mean, we all know Steve would be way better than Hopper if he could actually win in fist fights.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

business hammocks posted:

The actor knows Modine's character is bad and that you shouldn't want a relationship with someone who beats and torments you. The plot is about her character getting away. She's talking about how Modine plays the character (something she is expert in since she does the same thing), that his actions are motivated by obsession and fixation and that he rationalizes away the harm he causes and believes he is a suitable father for her.

Yeah, Papa is a horrible person, but that doesn't mean he isn't capable of loving Eleven in a hosed up way. Loving someone and abusing them isn't mutually exclusive. That's what's so vicious about the violence parents do to their children or husbands do to their wives.

In Borderlands/La Frontera, Gloria E. Anzaldúa says: "Tenderness, a sign of vulnerability, is so feared that it is showered on women with verbal abuse and blows."

You can see elements of this in Hopper's relationship with Eleven. He is so afraid of showing how much he cares for her that he instead resorts to abusive, violent behaviour. Mind you, such an explanation doesn't make abuse acceptable. It's just possible that abuse doesn't go along with hatred in the way you'd normally assume.

I actually think that this could be an interesting angle to explore, if they decide to bring Papa back. You can see the monstrous acts he's capable of, but it's not really clear how he got to this point. What kind of person could take a child away from her mother, lock the girl in a lab and torture her, and still sleep soundly at the end of the day. Maybe then we'd end up with Mindhunter, though.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Baronash posted:

You're right. Hopper was certainly straddling that line of abusive tendencies early in the show. Which is why I would argue he doesn't actually care for Eleven as a person (rather than as a concept that he needs to save in the way he couldn't save his daughter) until after she returns. That's when their relationship becomes a loving one.

I just really disagree with your definition of love. It seems like love must be a good thing under all circumstances, and as soon as it's not healthy, it's no longer love. That really doesn't jibe with how love is portrayed in Western culture. Look no further than the god of the old testament, and you'll find someone who expects perfect, devotional love, and is violently wrathful when there is even a moment of hesitation.

Regarding the video, let's not forget that she's just saying what comes to mind based on two specific scenes. The Duffers really only object to the use of "good", as well. If she had used a word with a less positive connotation to imply closeness, it would probably be fine.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 14, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

punk rebel ecks posted:

So from reading this thread, the consensus of Season 2 was that it was a disappoinment?

Just about anything would be a disappointment after the lightning in a bottle that was season one.

A lot of people seem to think that
  • Episode 7 sucks because it's bland edgy superhero bullshit
  • There was too much action and too little horror
  • Max's character was wasted
  • The Barb subplot was bad and wasted Nancy and Jonathan's characters
  • Eleven escaped too easily from the Upside Down, making the ending to season one less impactful
  • The cast still makes the season very enjoyable despite its flaws

Maybe there are some other criticisms that I didn't remember. The season was just a bit unfocused, I think. Everybody goes off on their own little quests, and some stuff is clearly only there to set up seasons three and four.

Arist posted:

Do not try to gauge overall consensus on anything from goons.

Episode 7 is generally rated the worst out of all the episodes by a wide margin. I could easily imagine that most people would not even think about the other stuff, though.

edit: v Added.

And More fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 15, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Also that nobody gave a poo poo about Barb any more once the "let's focus on the Mindflayer!" bit started up/once Nancy and Jonathan went to bone town in the creepy dude's totally-not-recorded surveillance room.

Not sure what else they were supposed to do.

It really goes to show how little those side plots had to do with the main storyline. Barb doesn't really have anything to do with the finale, the punks from episode 7 have nothing to do with the finale, and Max's brother is basically immediately knocked out. Either they really couldn't find any other way to get Max in the driver's seat of that car, or that dude is gonna bang Mrs. Wheeler next season (only to realise that he wants to gently caress Steve).

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it wrong that I didn't take Billy's dad for being an abuser, but more so a strong good parent giving their kid a well deserved rear end whooping?

That boy is probably such a piece of poo poo because his dad beats, threatens and humiliates him. Beating your kid is not a good educational tool, unless you want them to follow your example.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I enjoyed Season 2. The main disappointment though was that the overarching baddie plot was just dumb. "Underground colonies!" didn't do it for me. Also, Jesus Christ give Joyce Bryce a loving break! The poor lady has gone through enough!

I thought the Mind Flayer was really scary until they explained what was going on. You may know what the Demogorgon is, but its motivation isn't really clear. The Mind Flayer's motivation seems way too easy to grasp. There is just no mystery.

Karmine posted:

Characters don't have to appear (or have influence on) the conclusion of a story in order to be relevant to the story. It's like saying Yoda had nothing to do with the end of Empire Strikes Back.

If you think the Barb stuff was pointless that's fine. I find Nancy and Jonathan super boring anyway so I kind of have to recuse myself from that conversation. The presentation of the Chicago guys was dumb, but meeting Kali was Eleven's big turning point for the season so it absolutely served a story purpose.

Imagine if Luke met Yoda in the swamp, and then spent an hour getting to know all of Yoda's wacky friends, and doing a heist with them, but also (tangentially) learning how to use the force better. Yoda is crucial to Luke's development in a way that Billy, Barb or Eight's wacky friends aren't. Barb mattered in season one. Billy and the punks may become important in season three. In season two, they just distract from the main storyline.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 15, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

King Vidiot posted:

I can't even imagine why MBB would think Brenner was a good guy.

Honestly, a really warm, caring guy who also just happens to constantly torture his adopted daughter for science/glory sounds like an interesting premise.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Anyone try the Stranger Things mobile game? It's a nice little diversion and ad free. I'm kind of impressed at the quality for a free promotional game. Though inexplicably you can't play as Steve.

I kind of stopped playing after getting Nancy. It's adequate, but I feel like there is just nothing to it. The presence of random swimming pools all across town was amusing, at least.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Knockknees posted:

IF you had played longer, you would have discovered the game play function of the pools.

I think it's pretty obvious what the pools are for, dude. It's just funny that they are literally everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That sure is random. :shrug:

• Locked thread