Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I just got to that part and yeah, she's awesome.

Sean Astin is great in this too.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Will at the end of episode 5 :stare:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Well episode 6 has probably the most direct homage to '80s movies so far this season.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Episode 8 goddamit :mad:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Finished it. Overall good but not as good as the first season - mostly by dint of it just being a sequel.

Quick non-spoiler thoughts:

The cast is great and still easily the best part of the show. Sean Astin and Paul Reiser are also great additions.

Glad they gave way more time to Lucas and Dustin. Hop and El and Steve and Dustin pairings are great.

I think you could have removed episode 7 and not lost anything big. I kind of wish they had, or at least spread that out over a few episodes - where they place it just kills the show's momentum dead (but the last two episodes make up for it).

Cool new main villain...thing. sort of (more in spoilers below)

The ending is very satisfying.

edit: Lucas' sister is loving awesome.

Spoiler stuff:

Episode 6 - hay guyz, remember this scene from Aliens lol

Episode 7 seriously wtf, it's "El learns to do bigger stuff if she channels her emotions," I didn't care for 008 or her gang or any of that poo poo. But since El is pretty much deus ex machina incarnated, I guess you gotta keep her out of the main plot.

Episode 8 Bob the Superhero, you were too good for this show. gently caress you, show :mad: I thought for sure the designated victim would be Billy.

The overall threat: The mind flayer is a great concept but I rolled my eyes when I realized 95% of what was going to threaten the cast was basically the demogorgon again. Why couldn't they have just had the mind flayer take over a bunch of people like it possessed Will? Or even just had different-looking animals than reusing the demogorgon?

I didn't care for the subplot with the reporter. It's just there for JUSTICE FOR BARB (good god I hope the fandom at large lets it go now) and lets Jonathan and Nancy hook up

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 27, 2017

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I forgot, possibly my favorite moment this season is between Dustin and Mike's dad: "Son of a bitch, you're no help at all!"

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

A Pale Horse posted:

Edit: almost forgot everything with Dustin and Steve was awesome. Loved Steve way more this year overall.

Steve sharing his hair care secrets with Dustin was great.

Just from some cursory googling, it looks like Dustin keeping Dart is going to be this year's "Lucas is so unreasonable about El and a total jackass :mad: " (ie character did a thing I didn't like) thing.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Episode 6 pull out joke I'm dying send help

As far as I'm concerned that was the one redeeming moment of that plotline.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I'm two episodes into the "aftershow" thing Netflix did (Beyond Stranger Things) and it's actually pretty interesting - they have the showrunners on and they discuss a lot about why they did things the way they did.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

Oh yea that makes sense.

The show's producer said that's exactly why they used it on one of the after show interviews.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Episode 8

Bob... :smith:

:argh:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

One of my favorite bits of trivia for this show is the producer starred as the psycho rear end in a top hat blond rich kid in Zombie Nightmare.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Forget 7, just go on and watch 8 and 9, they're good.

lol Duffer brothers saying "u mad?" because you didn't like episode 7

lol so much for Jancy:

Stranger Things star Charlie Heaton deported from US after 'cocaine bust'

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 28, 2017

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Flying-PCP posted:

the idea of demo-beings literally being "fingers" of the mind flayer also makes zero sense with the Dart subplot. There's no way.

Not necessarily. I think its pretty common in fiction to show individual members of a hivemind threat able to be separated from what's controlling them (like some of the Borg that show up in various Star Trek media). Also, as far as we know, Dart was the only demodog that was routinely around/handled by humans constantly, so it did not immediately see Dustin et al. as food. Like he still roars at Dustin and it's only after the candy bar gets pulled out that he backs down, so there's a remembered human influence, however small.

My issue with the Mind Flayer and other threats was I was pretty sure the Duffers implied after the first season that the Demogorgon did not necessarily come from the Upside Down, which I thought was interesting, but this season seems to show otherwise

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Krabboss posted:

Dustin keeps a tiny demogorgon as a pet when he should be terrified of it.

To be fair, you really couldn't tell it was a demogorgon until he finds it behind the chair with the adult head - prior to that, its head and mouth didn't look like that at all (not to mention it was on all fours) and I was certain it was something different. I was kind of disappointed when it wasn't something brand new.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

zoux posted:

This is neat, the Duffer Bros are doing episode-by-episode recaps on the production of Season 2. Good insights that answer questions we've raised, like:

Also the arcade is named after the arcade in War Games. And MBB's short hair in episode 2 was CGI!

Thought this was interesting:

quote:

Matt: Billy was supposed to have a bigger role. We ended up having so many characters it ended up, in a way, more teed up for season three than anything. There was a whole teen supernatural story line that just got booted because it was just too cluttered, you know? A lot of that’s just getting kicked into season three.

The bit about them talking to Ivan Reitman about being able to use the Ghostbusters costumes is good too.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

ZorajitZorajit posted:

But I do want to know what the Upside Down is. Why does it look like an abandoned, decayed, but notably not destroyed, Hawkins? Could it all be a construct of the Mind Flayer? Baby Dart didn't seem to be related to the growth mass / swirling particulate of the Mind Flayer, so does the Upside Down have its own flora and fauna?

The Duffer Bros. say they have a lot of ideas about it, but they're mostly just going to use it whenever they need it to explain where spooky stuff comes from.

From the Duffer recaps at Vulture:

quote:

The Mythology of the Upside Down

Ross: Obviously, we know a lot more than we are putting into the shows. We have a lot of ideas that expand on the mythology that we just end up not having time for. Our thing is, if it doesn’t feel to the audience like we’re cheating or breaking the rules, they don’t have to understand it completely, as long as they understand that it fits in our world and how it moves the plot forward. We’re believers that you can get so caught up on the logic of all this stuff that you end up going nowhere. Sometimes it’s as simple as, “Well, that’s cool,” and you just keep pushing forward. A lot of the way that we build these seasons is to just do stuff that we’re excited about. It’s easy to become logic police. Certainly there are holes that haven’t been filled in, but it’s not our No. 1 concern.

I kind of get where they're coming from - they don't want to flesh it out too much, lest the Internet and people in this thread get all "WELL ACTUALLY I THINK AN ALTERNATE DIMENSION SHOULD WORK LIKE THIS-" but I hope they eventually release details of whatever their design doc/bible for the Upside Down is that they talked about after the first season came out.

Like I actually thought one of the cool moments of S2 was they establish that they've set up a little research outpost there. I'd love to see more stuff about them exploring it, even if it got released as like side-ARG material.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 2, 2017

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

I didn't understand what exactly 11 was 'closing' in the big climax part. They go down on the elevator thing to this big glowing redyellow place, but earlier didn't the doctor take Officer Manly down the same elevator and it just went to the tunnel system? I thought the gate that had to be closed was the open barrier thing directly across from the scientist booth.

It's all the same gate. The Hawkins lab personnel could only see the part of the gate at the top. To avoid being burned out and to expand, the Mind Flayer (or whatever) extended the gate directly down through the floor - in "The Spy," about 13 minutes in, Paul Reiser's character gives his talk about how all living organisms develop defense mechanisms and here it did it by extending through the ground underneath the lab - it's implied that they tore up the floor and installed the elevator that they go down in "The Spy" when the lab personnel realized the gate extended further (it's why the hole at the top still has rubble around it when Owens takes Hopper down to see the gate/tunnels under the lab, it was freshly installed).

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 3, 2017

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

There's zero chance I'm reading this entire thread but what do people reckon will come of the demodog in the freezer? It has to be relevant given the time they dedicated to showing it being done. I think Dustin will try to get famous off it and someone will recognize it and then they'll reveal some whole other gate to the Upside Down that exists in like, Alabama, or whatever, and we'll go to a new locale to fight the baddies

Nothing. It was one more comic scene for Steve and Dustin, and the ending is "one month later" after they did that, so I'd think they'd have said something about it.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Wondering now for future seasons if they're going to pull the Heroes move of sidelining the god tier characters by, say, having the Mind Flayer strip Eleven of her psychic powers. Or some other random dumb thing that prevents her from using them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

:eng99:

from the duffer vulture recaps:

Yep, called it.

• Locked thread