Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Do we know how many episodes it is? My entire weekend is pretty packed, but if it's only like 8 hours I may be bale to binge it at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can manage that. Seems like a good way to kill my hangover Saturday morning.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's funny, I almost didn't watch the first season because the original trailer I saw made it look like some stupid coming of age story. And now I find myself a little excited that I get to blast through the thing in a couple of days.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wanna PM me all the big plot points? I told one of my buddies if he beat me in fantasy football last week that I would ruin the show for him by skipping work Thursday, binge watching it, and text him the ending. I was only joking, but if you can make this a reality I will love you forever.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

Don't have PM's, sorry.

I'm honestly thinking about buying you Plat just to be an rear end in a top hat to my friend.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rick and Morty on Rick and Morty.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Of course she likes Ghostbusters, that's not the point."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That was a log.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just wait till next season when they have her rearranging furniture to replicate Chicago landmarks so they can find 8.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fragmented posted:

I'm going to watch episode 7 TWICE today just to spite you fuckers.

NOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!
*dives in front of TV to contain the episode 7 toxins

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, with this season being treated as a “sequel,” I like that it cribbed from Aliens (which obviously wasn’t out but is one of the standout sequels of all time, let alone the 80s) and ESB. And I’m embarrassed to admit how long it took me to catch the Alien references w Dart’s development.

Again, Ep 7 is El (Luke) traveling to Chicago (Dagobah) to develop herself and her powers, demonstrated in the train sequence/X-Wing sequence, confront the morality of her powers (Light Side/Dark Side), and then getting a vision of her friends in trouble in Hawkins (Cloud City) and having to return.

In terms of the conclusion, I think it creates a logical setup for next season. They didn’t destroy the Mind Flayer. They cut off its access to our world, and it’s PISSED. It wants revenge. What might be interesting to see as a possible resolution, if they determine the powers that 11 and 8 and the others have are actually derived from some kind of connection w the Upside Down and the Mind Flayer itself, so if they destroy the Mind Flayer, they lose their powers. It would give an opportunity for conflict between other # kids who just want a normal life, and those who want to keep their powers. Maybe get the classic trope of a character who makes a pact w the villain/allows the villain to possess them and gets waaaaay more than they bargained for.

Boy I hope not. If season 3 is more like episode 7 then I'm gonna be pretty disappointed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

I get why people don’t like it too, but the people freaking out about it are missing the point. It’s just a big homage, and falls into the whole “we looked to our favorite sequels for inspiration” that the Duffers talked about. I’m not saying it was excellently executed but it was them doing their best imitation.

No one is "missing the point." You'd have to be brain dead not to see the Luke/El training similarities. That doesn't make the episode fit into this season any better. If next season they all of a sudden have Mike travel to California to join a Nintendo competition, it will be just as stupid even though The Wizard did it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's just an episode I can skip on rewatches without having to worry about missing any good parts. It's actually pretty handy that they put all of the things I didn't enjoy enough to watch again into one episode.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Only in so far as it was weird how no one was dropping f bombs too.

Billy's dad dropped one of them. That's how you know he's a bad guy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kinda hard to be more protective than locking a girl in a remote cabin with no contact to the outside world.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was a good season overall, but episode 7 just makes me nervous for the next season. Because you know they're planning on making the BK Kids Club a bigger part of it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just noticed that during the scene where Dart escapes the music changes to almost sound like the Gremlins theme.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bob was a good character, and I'm sure we're gonna have like 5 episodes of Winona pining about him next season. Also Steve is going to fall in love with Bubblegum Punk girl.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Watching the first episode. the scene with (not a spoiler) the KFC front and center in the shot was really distracting and obvious. Did they even say “KFC” in the 80s? “Finger-lickin good” made me cringe

They went heavier with the 80's stuff this time for sure. Next season the NES will be released though! Bet that's gonna be a big thing!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did the Byer's dog die? I don't remember it in this season at all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She also rambles them off herself when talking about times Hopper told her it would be soon that she could see Mike again. They were both counting the days. Both Mike and El are weirdos.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah from the moment Bob was introduced we agreed there were only 2 options
A: He's a government plant there to manipulate and observe the family and thus will be revealed and killed at the end
B: He's actually just a sweet chubby human-sized hobbit trying to share the load with the family, which means he has to be killed in a dramatic and sad moment.
Either way there was no way he was surviving the show.

When he was escaping the lab we sort of knew that was his end, for a moment we thought he might get away until that loving cliche "Ah! I've 99% escaped but am going to stop and pause to look at the person I love". We both shouted "gently caress!" as the whole scene was just screaming what was about to happen, then it happened, and the emotional impact was ruined by our eyes rolling out of our heads.

I don't know if it was a budget reason but I really wish the base wasn't overrun so easily and the dogs didn't seem to have god mode turned on. It wasn't that they were shown to have rapid healing or super thick hides, it was as if all weapons fired at them were blanks. Show the bullets ripping their flesh apart but quickly re-healing or something, just show some sort of impact. But then later when hopper is shooting them physics is re-established and bullets actually make contact with flesh and work, the only excuse is that the soldiers's guns were loaded with blanks. Show the base being overrun because there's like 100 of the things and they're super nimble and the base was flooded with toxic fog. Show that the military killed a bunch of them but they were still overwhelmed. Show the dogs getting hosed up from assault rifle fire and falling back only to have another monster take its place while the injured one regenerates. Basically establish some rules and consistency for the world and monsters.

Also, Will must have been just puking dozens of those little slug octopus things out for the first few months because there were so many of those dogs. Or did they establish another way they came into the regular world that I just forgot about?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Can we please stop misspelling d’Art.

HE WASN'T EVEN ONE OF THE THREE MUSKETEERS!!!:mad:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Poor Jonathan. He just can't compete with guys with big hair.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe he was talking about kids with out hot moms. Might be why he doesn't have a problem with her hanging out with Mike.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only reason Eleven's story wouldn't make sense if you dropped episode 7 is that she'd show up looking a little different.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

business hammocks posted:

2 Stranger 2 Things

Strang2r Things

It's gonna be Strang3r Things.....isn't it?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it would have been fine as episode 6. Still a crummy episode, but at least not interrupting the flow of the climax. Episode 7 was like having your girlfriend's kid knock on the bedroom door in the middle of sex saying he had a bad dream.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Benny was cool. #JusticeforBenny

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nah. He's just gay and she's just Troi from Star Trek who states plot beats so people can keep up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Steve should hook up with that Siouxsie Sioux chick at the party. She seemed bad rear end.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was that they already wanted to bone to the point a guy who just met them picked up on it.

That part of the subplot felt like something a high schooler would imagine to himself in detention about what could happen so he could gently caress his best friend.

"If only someone that didn't know us told her we were in love then it would happen!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wizgot posted:

I think the series is perfectly fine as a one season show. Just my opinion.

Agreed, but then we got a season 2 that doesn't stand well on it's own because everything feels like it's setting the table for seasons to come.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nancy is a skeleton, and skeletons are bad guys. She also broke up with Steve.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The real tragedy is that the nail bat was actually Justin's. So Justin took Nancy, but Steve took the nail bat. I think Steve made out like a bandit in that trade.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Trying to force start a "Pennywise Dances" thing huh?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

is will ever going to catch a break

I'm sure he'll break an arm or a leg or something next season so he can continue to not do things.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Just watched the first 2 episodes of season 1 and counted 5 licensed music tracks, not sure why everyone is complaining about licensed music in the new season.

I wish they would have used more of the synthy OST stuff. I don't think there was way more licensed stuff this season. I could be wrong though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kiimo posted:

Yeah I was looking forward to the Mayor Daley-era Chicago.

I mean, at least mention how Da Bears are turning it around. Not even a Sweetness jersey to be found.

No matter the decade, it's always a Daley-era Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Same, it's not like the cold has ever been shown to heal the Demodogs or anything, they just hate heat. And a loving month passed to get to that school dance, if that thing was gonna come back to life, it would've done so already. The corpse is probably rotting six feet under the Byers' backyard by now.

Buried it next to their other dog everyone forgot about.

• Locked thread