Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think the show captures the era like people say, but I do think it exactly replicates the experience of watching a movie from that era. My roommates were watching it for the first time a few weeks ago and I caught a few scenes, and there's one where the family is eating breakfast in a sun-soaked breakfast nook and I felt almost transported to being a kid watching Flight of the Navigator or DARYL or something. Odd what triggers your nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

...but how?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is Billy more Kiefer Sutherland from Stand By Me or Kiefer Sutherland from Lost Boys.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did the Byer's dog die? I don't remember it in this season at all.

What about the drat turtle?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all if they fired every cokehead in Hollywood...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Honestly, at first I thought Bob might have been a plant or something since his advice led directly to what happened to Will.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

The cat hissing really reminded me of the cat in Alien hissing at the alien for some reason. Just the way the shot was framed and everything.

Similarly for the shot of El blowing off the book from the box she found under the cabin, the way it was framed with extremely bright backlighting, I'm sure it's a direct reference to the same scene in Neverending Story.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

I really need to rewatch S1, because I don't really remember it being that much better. Wynona Rider loving killed and her part getting reduced in S2 was a shame but I thought the kids were less annoying this time if anything :shrug:

Anytime a show gets the level of between-season hype that ST got, it's always going to lead to some people being disappointed.

Ol Standard Retard posted:

The entire 8 hours of both seasons are practically built wholecloth from homages to period and similarly nostalgic film. Chockablock with nods to Verhoeven, Cameron, Romero, Barker and Craven, Spielberg, Milos Forman (there's an Amadeus posted up in one of the scenes of the... police station? I think), Tarantino, Sydney Pollack.

Has anyone done any kind of companion article or youtube or whatever of all the references/homages? I'd be interested to see what I'm overlooking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LionArcher posted:

You were also too lazy to watch because the kids are completely effected by the first season and they spent a great deal of time showing it.

Yeah like when Mike's mom makes him give away his toys because he's been acting out, and she basically lists the DSM-V criteria for trauma disorder in his behavior as why. Or how they spend so much time talking about PTSD in an era when that was just emerging as a diagnosis.

It's almost like the major theme of Stranger Things is coping with trauma and loss...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There is definitely less Mike this season, I'm not sure if that was down to IT filming schedules or a desire to give more to Dustin and Lucas to do, but he did have a few standout scenes. The reunion scene where they see each other for the first time was amazing, so much emotion present on Finn and Millie's face in that scene that perfectly relays the depth of feeling each character is experiencing in that moment. Also, Hopper taking Mike immediately into another room to talk not only gave a good showcase for Wolfhard and Harbour acting, but I like how it demonstrated the respect that Hopper has for Mike, taking him aside to talk to him man-to-man, to recognize that Mike had a legit grievance, rather than berate him in front of everyone because he's the adult and Mike's the kid. The interpersonal relationships between the characters really are the best part of the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They teased the Nancy-Jonathan relationship pretty hard in season 1 before she picked Steve, and they have always had that will-they-won't-they chemistry. I figured it was a matter of time before they got together. She's obviously wrong because Steve is the best but it's not a surprise given the foreshadowing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is neat, the Duffer Bros are doing episode-by-episode recaps on the production of Season 2. Good insights that answer questions we've raised, like:

quote:

Barb’s Role in Season Two

Matt: I’ve convinced myself that this was already a part of the season. It was already baked into it. We had about four weeks in, I think, before [season one] had come out, certainly before the whole Barb thing happened, where we were working on outlining season two. It was not supposed to be a story line that would last the entire season the way it did, but it was definitely going to be a big part of it, because it was one of those loose ends that we hadn’t really dealt with.

What it allowed for was a lot of really interesting character moments, and it allowed us to flesh out the Jonathan-Nancy stuff in a really nice way.

Those are old Shannon photos [in the scene at Barb’s parents’ house], I’m pretty sure. Those are from Shannon. We did do poses with her in season one. The rest of it is from Shannon’s real childhood.

Also the arcade is named after the arcade in War Games. And MBB's short hair in episode 2 was CGI!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lemme ask this, if episode seven hadn't come right in the middle of the cliffhanger-resolution from episodes 6-8, would that have worked better? Maybe it had been written to be episode six, with an uninterrupted 7-9?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll say this, there are a lot of shows where people get possessed by black smoke.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was definitely confused by the "those people" stuff, because racism is a pretty significant character trait and being ambiguous about it for exactly one line and never bringing it up again is strange. IMO, Billy isn't being racist but just using Lucas as another stick with which to beat Max, and mostly I think that because the race issue never comes back again.

Another clue would be to look at the movies the show is pulling from, my recollection is that those movies seldom dealt with issues regarding race and just kind of glossed over them. We're much more race conscious in 2017 than people were in 1984, I mean that's two years before Soul Man came out.

Remind me which episode it was, I bet the Duffers address it in that recap stuff they're doing for Vulture.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 2, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hell yeah let's get personal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Given the scientific rigor of the "flea on a tightrope" explanation, I wouldn't expect a detailed and internally consistent description of the Upside Down.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VictorianQueerLit posted:

So what you are saying is that basically everyone in Stranger Things is racist.

Well it was 1984.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbA2-6PjPVX/

Altuve is 5’6”. Finn's gotta be at least 5’8”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the deal was the Duffers wanted to have an rear end in a top hat teenage bully like so many 80s movies did and that was supposed to be Steve Harrington but turns out everyone liked Joe Keery so much they changed their mind and wrote him into a nicer guy. So this season they took another shot at that kind of character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

They gave Steve so much depth that the redemption arc, even if it was last minute, felt totally earned. He's now one of the best characters on the show. The fact he always loses fights against humans but kicks some monster rear end is one of his best character traits, too, I hope he never wins a fist fight.

It's been pretty fun watching the reaction to Steve from fans, people are loving bonkers in love with him. It must be gratifying to act in a role that connects with so many people.

Creepy racism aside, Billy's a pretty funny character. Pumping iron in his living room, listening to Ratt, smoking and drinking a beer. And that poo poo with Mike's mom is hilarous. I think they were going for this over the top absurd bully character but maybe went too far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IMDB put together some shot-for-shot comparisons between s2 and the movies it homages. Some of them seem like stretches but most of them are bang on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soYiWTm089k

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I was surprised Reiser's character ended up not being a piece of poo poo like Brenner was. He's still a government man with all that entails (like the scene where he picks Nancy and Johnathan up and shows them the gate with The Implication) but he clearly cared about more than just covering up and genuinely wanted to help Will.

Yeah the shady government conspiracy organization somehow realized a mad scientist was a bad management call and replaced him with a competent administrator. Usually they double down and say the first guy lacked vision.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

So from reading this thread, the consensus of Season 2 was that it was a disappoinment?

Just here. Though everyone everywhere seems to have hated ep 7.

• Locked thread