Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Started in 2012, RWBY has basically become Rooster Teeth's new big property after Red vs. Blue. Created as the brainchild of Monty Oum (now :rip: after a freak accident while undergoing surgery), it's basically an American anime fan's dream of making their own series come true. The current season began airing October 14 on Rooster Teeth's website; people who have premium accounts there get access to the episode each Saturday, while free accounts get to see it after a few days' delay. If you're really weird about giving their site any traffic, they also put episodes up on Youtube with a full week's delay.

...Now that that's out of the way, I'll be blunt: common consensus from previous threads was that this show was basically bad starting out, went really bad with season 2 (especially the season finale that resolved the conflict like a big wet fart), and rose to "consistently mediocre" from season 3 and beyond. Despite that lukewarm reception here and elsewhere, though, the show was still considered popular enough to justify getting some big name voice actors, including Vic Mignogna as Uncle Drunk Qrow (yes, it's unfortunately really spelled that way), Laura Bailey, and Chris Sabat... and somehow wound up with a Japanese dub. The animation quality has also noticeably bumped up, likely because the animation team is no longer relying on Monty's "wing and a prayer" animation workflow. As for the soundtrack, it's... Still just as buttrock-y as ever.

With all of that said, feel free to commiserate about wasted potential, try to convince the rest of us that this is actually the best web animation to grace the internet yet, or discuss anything else that's vaguely topical!

Links

Rooster Teeth's official page for the show on their site

Season 5 Ep. 1 mirror on Youtube

Official Youtube Playlist of Seasons 1-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
RWBY is kind of bad in the best and most enjoyable way, and I love it.

Also we finally got more Yang this episode, which is great. Looks like we might also be finding out what Ozpin's deal is which will be nice.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Holy poo poo, someone actually remembered this thread?

But yeah, I’m fully expecting Ozpin’s going to be revealed as the “creator” brother from the creation myth that was told after the fight with Tyrion. It’s too straightforward for them not to do it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Streaming the first two seasons with the Nite Crew was fun but I can't imagine watching something this mediocre alone.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I can't imagine trying to watch the second season without some color commentary... Or a strong swig of booze.

Really, it's kind of funny to think that they missed the landing on the ending twice... And the, uh, everything else for season 2 especially.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I caught all of this when it was playing Twitch and I didn't find s2 that bad -- actually the show was probably at its best between s2 and s3. With the earlier seasons you can tell that Rooster Teeth were having fun with it, while s4 and what I've seen with s5 its gotten way too serious about itself. It didn't help that they broke up all the leads to do their own mopey story arcs halfway across the world from each other.

Basically rip Monty. :(

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'd take the more serious approach over the garbage that was S2's ending any day. I also want to say S3's ending was still following the script of where Monty wanted to take the series, and you kind of can't go back to the silly approach after that.

I mean, not to say S4 & 5 are particularly good shows, but they're still better than the "And everything magically works out fine!" poo poo. Some of this is going to come down to personal opinion though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, the big problem with S2 was that it built up to this major attack on the city, the team does what they can to try preventing it, but fail...

Aaaaand all it does is just kind of mess up a single city block. And then the monsters get mowed down with only a bit of effort. And to top it all off, even the surface damage is undone with a literal handwave.

Calling that underwhelming for a season finale is putting it generously.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I find the fact that (S5 Spoilers I guess)Ozpin is literally soul merging with random people while manipulating the whole world from the shadows up to and including artificially powering up Pyrrha to have a "Hero" to rally around pretty darn creepy and the show doesn't give a gently caress.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, the big problem with S2 was that it built up to this major attack on the city, the team does what they can to try preventing it, but fail...

Aaaaand all it does is just kind of mess up a single city block. And then the monsters get mowed down with only a bit of effort. And to top it all off, even the surface damage is undone with a literal handwave.

Calling that underwhelming for a season finale is putting it generously.

The problem is Team Bad gets hilariously little ground covered, as every character in the show comes out to clown on them. Once the fan favorite background characters and teachers get involved, then its just showing off. Once the freaking villains get involved? Then its just absurd.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Stormgale posted:

I find the fact that (S5 Spoilers I guess)Ozpin is literally soul merging with random people while manipulating the whole world from the shadows up to and including artificially powering up Pyrrha to have a "Hero" to rally around pretty darn creepy and the show doesn't give a gently caress.

To be fair to the show, Raven tells Yang that she doesn't know what Ozpin, so at least they may be hinting towards how hosed up it is. But yeah, the characters themselves are weirdly cool with it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oh right, this show exists. I think it was super dumb to split the party, if they fix that this season I'll go ahead and catch up. Keep me posted, thread.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Monaghan posted:

To be fair to the show, Raven tells Yang that she doesn't know what Ozpin, so at least they may be hinting towards how hosed up it is. But yeah, the characters themselves are weirdly cool with it.

The thing that really throws me tonally Season 3 spoilers I guess is that the show opens with Ozpin basically stealing Gandalfs speech from the opening of the lord of the rings and then goes on to actually be actively manipulating everything from the shadows to make a heroine, completely undercutting the point out Smaller, simpler souls.

Fake Edit: yes i'm probably putting more though into this dumb show than RT did

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The animation in this show is so weird. They're using a modern animation workflow now so it should look better and there's a ton of moving holds and weight adjustments, but the poses themselves are terribly weak and the hands are like paddles.

The colors are also so dull and lifeless.

If you compare this to a Japanese CG show, like Bubuki Bunraki or Houseki no Kuni, it's a total joke. Heck, even Berserk 2016 did CG better than this.

But I still have to hand it to Monty for his work ethic. Creating a project like this in the States, even a bad looking one, is an incredibly difficult task. And his fight choreography and camera work could be fun to watch even if it was weightless and slidey.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 17, 2017

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Finally saw the most recent episode, and... I was expecting Raven to do more than catch Yang and Weiss up to speed with regards to what the gang (and audience) already knows about Ozpin. That could've been time spent on her, say, revealing just what the gently caress the deal with Salem and him even is.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This season has burned most of my good will for the series. Nothing loving has happened the past like 5 eps.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's been a slow burn for sure. Some things slower than they need to be.

Personally I'm digging the worldbuilding/ancillary stuff more than the actual plot. Qrow's search for people was pretty nicely done overall.
Unlike Raven's talk with Yang and Weiss, which really could have done with a strategic fade to black so she could have told them more (that they could then reveal to the audience later) AND postured about telling them more :v:

Ccs posted:

Heck, even Berserk 2016 did CG better than this.
I disagree because part of what made Berserk's 2016 CG so bad was that it actively fought with the serious and grim nature of the show that it got from it's source material. It was pretty much the biggest and constant source of narm that turned Berserk 2016 into the laughing stock that it is.

RWBY doesn't have that baggage and even with weak poses, semi-unexpressive hands and slide-y movements it conveys itself better than Berserk 2016 ever did. It even manages weird and unsettling better in the case of nuckelavee grimm from Season 4.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 27, 2017

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This season has burned most of my good will for the series. Nothing loving has happened the past like 5 eps.

Yeah, about the only thing this series does to really capture your interest is the fight scenes, and holeee poo poo there's been a drought of them. Does anyone even really care about all the worldbuilding stuff they've been doing? I haven't even gotten around to watching the World of Remnant stuff from last season, for reference.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Enough of this, someone post the cookie gif

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Going back an episode or two, the Menagerie speech (followed by a petition!) was so utterly pathetic I'm not entirely sure if I'm supposed to believe that all four people involved in putting it together are just that terrible at coming up with speeches, or if the writing staff for RWBY is just that bad. Well, I suppose the latter was proven true a long time ago, so I guess it's more whether BOTH are true. I mean, one of those characters was supposedly a good leader and charismatic (at least at one point), but wow was that a terribly put together argument.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
RWBY chibi is cute and fun

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RWBY Chibi is legitimately the better show in my opinion. Partially because it hasn't fallen to the problem Naruto fell to, which is believing that big world saving/ending plots are interesting enough to actually carry a series that didn't start out with them. Usually they're not and RWBY's certainly isn't.

Show would've been better as a monster of the week show/following team RWBY at Beacon on their journey to Huntresses without the Salem/Maidens/Silver Eyes stuff. Preferably whilst keeping Cinder/Roman/Adam as villains doing stuff in and around Vale. This also lets you naturally put the World of Remnant Stuff as teachers giving Lectures, maybe over scenes of people fighting Grimm for classes, instead of having them be separate videos that are actually just kind of boring.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, the lulls in the action for the "grand scheming plots" don't do anything to endear me to the show like the actual fighting scenes do. I wish they'd learned to embrace that that's all anyone watching the series is gonna come in for, instead of putting up all the pretense of making it a world of "deep lore" or whatever.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wow something actually loving happened this episode.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

She gonna die, calling it now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Weiss :smith:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The show has a new title --- RBY ---

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That was such a bad fight. Wow.

Also I'm mad Weiss isn't actually going to die. That was a kidney shot if anything.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

That was such a bad fight. Wow.

Also I'm mad Weiss isn't actually going to die. That was a kidney shot if anything.

Agreed. The choreography for it felt really... off. Maybe it was because everything was split up into half a dozen skirmishes going on all at once that make it hard to get invested in any of them, but it all felt half-hearted compared to what they've put out before.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Pretty sure Weiss is the winter maiden

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ValhallaSmith posted:

Pretty sure Weiss is the winter maiden

Don't you mean Ruby?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Regalingualius posted:

Agreed. The choreography for it felt really... off. Maybe it was because everything was split up into half a dozen skirmishes going on all at once that make it hard to get invested in any of them, but it all felt half-hearted compared to what they've put out before.

It didn't have enough build up to be genuine.

Also (future speculation)

I would not be surprised if by the end, all four are maidens.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also, I'm gonna guess BOTH Ozpin and Salem are gonna wind up being the primary antagonists. Salem just wants to destroy the world, Ozpin wants to be the god-emperor of it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I'm still wondering what exactly is in this for Watts, Cinder, Hazel, and Tyrian

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don’t watch anime much anymore but I got to watching RWBY with my daughter and she is all about it. She is almost 6 now so maybe that says something about he target demographic.

It’s entertaining enough though earlier seasons had more going on. The most recent development was cool though the Weiss thing was a cheap and predictable was to get Jean’s power was. I’m afraid to say it because it would be predictable but it’s almost unavoidable that Ruby is going to be a maiden. If all of them end up as maidens I am going to roll my eyes so hard that they come out of my head.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Also, I'm gonna guess BOTH Ozpin and Salem are gonna wind up being the primary antagonists. Salem just wants to destroy the world, Ozpin wants to be the god-emperor of it.

I mean the only person to question Ozpin is Raven who keeps being painted as bad by the show so I doubt it.

That would be cool though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Predictable isn't a bad thing.

The tango that a good story dances with our expectations of it are where the real magic happens. A good story can dance between fulfilling, playing with or subverting expectations nimbly and satisfyingly. Bad stories can do the same things too but their performance is usually sloppy, sluggish and obnoxiously loud about what they're trying to do.

It's pretty obvious from when the Four Maidens were introduced and that their names were literally the four seasons that the main cast is set up to become or be a parallel to them. Although there's two problems with that obviousness that keep my interest warm in how that develops.

First is, that while Weiss is obviously winter and Yang is obviously summer, both Blake and Ruby share aesthetic themes with fall: red and black and black & black. No one has the typical green/light pastel colorfulness of spring in their wardrobe (although Ruby's personality can count for this in a pinch, assuming her Silver Eye's thing isn't a Four Maiden thing.)
Second is related to the first: Cinder currently has the Fall Maiden's powers. If the main cast are eventually going to be the Maiden's, hows that going to work out? Defeat in battle? A heel-faced turn against Salem? Something else?

I mean, if they do become the four maidens and and the show presents it as a surprise of the highest order my eye's will roll too. If it's a surprise but not a 'SURPRISE are you surprised please tell me you're surprised' surprise then that's just natural.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, the lulls in the action for the "grand scheming plots" don't do anything to endear me to the show like the actual fighting scenes do. I wish they'd learned to embrace that that's all anyone watching the series is gonna come in for, instead of putting up all the pretense of making it a world of "deep lore" or whatever.

All of RTs talent died or was purged. "Deep lore" is all they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

rio posted:

I don’t watch anime much anymore but I got to watching RWBY with my daughter and she is all about it. She is almost 6 now so maybe that says something about he target demographic.

It’s entertaining enough though earlier seasons had more going on. The most recent development was cool though the Weiss thing was a cheap and predictable was to get Jean’s power was. I’m afraid to say it because it would be predictable but it’s almost unavoidable that Ruby is going to be a maiden. If all of them end up as maidens I am going to roll my eyes so hard that they come out of my head.

You know, I’ve been mulling this over, and I think you indirectly hit the nail on the head: it feels like the showrunners don’t know what their target audience is anymore.

• Locked thread