Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rio
Mar 20, 2008

I didn’t realize my autocorrect butchered me so badly until reading that quote - sorry about that! Did Monty Oum ever say what his target demographic was? I was saying that about my daughter tongue in cheek but it does feel like the shift after he died was pretty drastic.

Also does anyone know how they decide what to do with the plot now? It seemed like he was winging it was he was going, like coming up with the maiden idea in between season 2 and 3 and fitting things around it, writing things on Denny’s napkins (well maybe not that) and now that he is gone I wonder how they come up with the plot. I assume that he told someone or wrote down what his long game plan was for the characters but did he ever go over what he wanted to happen when or are some people just trying to continue it how they think he would have if her were still here? I don’t know the details of his death in terms of if he had time to tell anyone on his death bed how to continue the show or anything like that but he did plan on shot going down and things getting more serious so the shift in tone could have been his plan even though the spirit of the show does seem different now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Supposedly Monty had a master plot document or at least communicated his ideas to the current writers at some point.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

He died in a freak anesthesia accident during some surgery, so he never really had a chance to give a grand overview of how he wanted it to go. I think they said the material he left behind would last them a few seasons, though decent chunks of it were broad strokes.

Also, calling it now: Either Ruby’s mom is going to be revealed to be the Winter Maiden as a foil to Raven... or she was, but actually did die, and Ruby’s been a Maiden all along.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Do we know who the headmaster in Vacuo even is?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

He died in a freak anesthesia accident during some surgery, so he never really had a chance to give a grand overview of how he wanted it to go. I think they said the material he left behind would last them a few seasons, though decent chunks of it were broad strokes.

Also, calling it now: Either Ruby’s mom is going to be revealed to be the Winter Maiden as a foil to Raven... or she was, but actually did die, and Ruby’s been a Maiden all along.

Maiden speculation station: they have some pretty predictable setups for getting team RWBY to be the maidens and I think it has to be one or the other that you mentioned. I’m guessing the former, that she isn’t dead and she will be in the show for a short or medium amount of time and then pass on her power to Ruby. As for the others, Raven dies and passes hers onto Yang, Weiss becomes the winter maiden because duh unless it is a red herring and that only leaves how Blake would become the last maiden. Alternatively, Ruby kills Cinder at some point and gets her powers - they are already working hard to set up a final confrontation between those two at some point since Ruby is the only one who has hurt her, or she has a conversion, tries to turn on the bad guys and dies and gives Ruby her power or something like that. I could totally be wrong about all of that of course. One thing I would be surprised about is if Ruby’s mom really is dead. One thing that was going through my mind was that perhaps Salem is Ruby’s mom and is a maiden. Even without the mom thing I do think she may be a maiden - in her little room when she was sitting with Cinder there were four chairs. Two for them and two empty ones. It might be a stretch but that could be the maiden hangout zone).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Salem looks a lot like the first Winter Maiden from one of the World of Remnant Videos so I wouldn’t be surprised about that “twist”. Ruby is explicitly something other than a Maiden, as the Silver Eye Powers Hurt Maidens, which if Salem is the Winter Maiden also explains why they hurt Grimm. an uninteresting villain regardless because there’s no hook or reason to care. She’s vague evil overlord who hates humanity but the best villain was still Roman Torchwick, who had more style and personality than the rest of Cinder’s crew combined and still is better than all of Salem’s council of “evil”.

I still maintain the school setting and relatively low stakes were much more compelling and interesting over the 100th save the world anime plot.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

God Cinder is so loving stupid and yet the show is still going to treat her as a mastermind.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

5 seasons in we still don't know what the gently caress the villains motivations are, other than "let's be evil."

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Monaghan posted:

5 seasons in we still don't know what the gently caress the villains motivations are, other than "let's be evil."

Ruby: Why are you doing this!?
Salem: We will forsake our countries...we will leave our motherlands behind us and become one with this earth. We have no nation, no philosophy, no ideology. We go where we're needed, fighting not for country, not for government, but for ourselves. We need no reason to fight. We fight because we are needed. We will be the deterrent for those with no other recourse. We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the era we live in. We will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists. And yes, we may all be headed straight to hell. But what better place for us than this? Its our only home. Our heaven and our hell. This is Grim Eclipse.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Stormgale posted:

God Cinder is so loving stupid and yet the show is still going to treat her as a mastermind.

Raven was pretty spot on when she called out her egomania a few episodes ago.

I miss Torchwick

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Need more villains like Raven who call out the big evils on their egomania and like Torchwick who would totally get it on it. Like Watts that one time. Big grumbly gruff dude (Hazel?) also seems pretty cool.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

a neat cape posted:

I miss Torchwick

He was the only antagonist on this show I liked.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Need more villains like Raven who call out the big evils on their egomania and like Torchwick who would totally get it on it. Like Watts that one time. Big grumbly gruff dude (Hazel?) also seems pretty cool.

If only he wasn’t borderline incomprehensible after he powers up. :(

Monaghan posted:

Yeah, the show has a habit of spending way too much time expositing on stuff that’s relatively minor, and not on the juicy details that should be keeping the audience hooked. It’s like they’re trying to dance around going against “Monty’s Grand Vision” for as long as they possibly can, and what we’re left with is a bunch of mishmashed pieces of a plot that barely fit together.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

His gimmick of seeming like a pretty nice guy who just really want's Ozpin Dead is actually kinda neat, like a lot of things in Rooster teeth stuff they occasionally nail really interesting characters / ideas.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I still really like most everything they've done involving Weiss

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Weiss has honestly been handled very well. Her plot beats feel more earned than the others.

The Blake story of the past two seasons has been a terrible distraction though.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

If Sun wasn't there, I'd skip the Blake parts entirely

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
....loving really??? :rolleyes:

Though, I'm happy we finally know Jean's semblance now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

....loving really??? :rolleyes:

Though, I'm happy we finally know Jean's semblance now.

Makes sense. He's the paladin of the group.

Weiss continues to be best girl

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

a neat cape posted:

I hope they implement a restriction of some sort otherwise it's going to take all the tension out of fights.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

a neat cape posted:

Cast Lay on Hands.

a neat cape posted:

Weiss continues to be best girl

Be saying or doing absolutely nothing.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

So what happens if a maiden dies and is thinking of another maiden when she dies? Double maiden?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

So (Ep 13)

Cinder continues to basically be clowned anytime she isn't fighting literal children (Ozpin fight 2 seasons ago, now raven)
Adam could have basically been replaced by the white fang as a whole and the resolution would be the same

Do the animations feel a lot clunkier to people? It might be just me but it seems that often they move the upper body or the lower but rarely both at once unless the character is floating / flying? Especially druing the last episode it felt like the actions were too decomposed (They'll move their body, then freeze their legs the move their upper body/arms)

Minor Nitpick:

Why does the Spring maiden have ice powers?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

rio posted:

So what happens if a maiden dies and is thinking of another maiden when she dies? Double maiden?

That's basically Cinder's plan.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

That's basically Cinder's plan.

Has anything in the show indicated that is not possible? I remember reading that if the person is male or too old that someone would be chosen at random, I think, so I was trying to think if I remembered any rules about a maiden thinking about another maiden and if it would be possible to have the power of two maidens in one body.

Also, it seems so far that if you are a maiden that you definitely know it, at least from seeing how Cinder got her power. So I was wondering if she really did die then Raven would not have gotten her power since there was no indication of power being transferred. Or, more what I am guessing, she didn’t die.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Remember, Cinder's only the fall maiden because she stole it from the actual Fall Maiden in the first place. She's bypassing the normal rules of inheritance with Grim Determination :commissar:

Stormgale posted:

Do the animations feel a lot clunkier to people? It might be just me but it seems that often they move the upper body or the lower but rarely both at once unless the character is floating / flying? Especially during the last episode it felt like the actions were too decomposed (They'll move their body, then freeze their legs the move their upper body/arms)

I'd say it's more an issue with screenplay. The animations seem fine but they're rather de-emphasized and simple. There's a distinct lack of slow-mo (which would add impact) for instance.

I'm mostly basing this off of how long it took for Son to whip out his Shotgun Nunchaku though and how brief their appearance was in his recent fight.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I noticed it first with weiss in that character short and it cropped up again for her in the big brawl, it just feels you could have fencing be a lot more fluid and in motion than it is at the moment?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I picked this show up at the request of my Nephew, and I'm glad there's a thread for it cause something's been bothering me since a few episodes ago.

Why is Ozpin giving Qrow and Raven magic powers a big deal? Everyone reacted like Ozpin cursed them for life, but it seems like it was only a net gain? Is it cause he turned them into child soldiers? Cause they're all child soldiers.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

TheHan posted:

I picked this show up at the request of my Nephew, and I'm glad there's a thread for it cause something's been bothering me since a few episodes ago.

Why is Ozpin giving Qrow and Raven magic powers a big deal? Everyone reacted like Ozpin cursed them for life, but it seems like it was only a net gain? Is it cause he turned them into child soldiers? Cause they're all child soldiers.

From what I gathered, it seemed like Raven is of the opinion that Oz was using them as pawns in an impossible war. Note that when she told Yang and Weiss about it, she said "What Oz did to Qrow and me". The way she said it made it seem like he forced those powers on them, but Qrow said later that they chose to accept those powers. I forget if Oz ever really confirmed it one way or the other.

On another topic, with the wizard of oz motif going on with the adult characters, who might the headmaster of Shade in Vacuo represent? Dorothy?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Gotta be toto

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Nah, that's Zwei--

...Actually, hold on, what the gently caress ever did happen with their dog?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Nah, that's Zwei--

...Actually, hold on, what the gently caress ever did happen with their dog?

He's back with Tai Yang at home

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Well, that was kind of a.... subdued finale. I guess Atlas Is next up.

Wish they would have spent a little more time on the reunion, but at least they didn't push their annoying Blake and Yang romance thing

rio
Mar 20, 2008

a neat cape posted:

Wish they would have spent a little more time on the reunion, but at least they didn't push their annoying Blake and Yang romance thing

Uh...is that something that is happening?

I was pretty disappointed by that season finale honestly. I know they want to leave unanswered questions but it was just really incomplete.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

As usual, there's a whole bunch of shipping done by the fans between cast members.

Much like Avatar, the creators seem to be rolling with it on some of them.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

rio posted:

Uh...is that something that is happening?

I was pretty disappointed by that season finale honestly. I know they want to leave unanswered questions but it was just really incomplete.

The creators have kinda been shoving it in our faces since volume 2. From Yang's perspective anyway

rio
Mar 20, 2008

a neat cape posted:

The creators have kinda been shoving it in our faces since volume 2. From Yang's perspective anyway

I didn’t get the vibe really but maybe I wasn’t looking for it so didn’t see it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish this show was good again.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wish this show was good again.

Wait, it used to be good? When?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Let me correct myself.

I wish this show was enjoyable again.

• Locked thread